A rare home Gopher hoops/football regular-season weekend

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
Gopher hoops will host Saint John's in the Gavitt Tipoff Games on Friday, Nov. 18, followed the next day by Northwestern @ Gophers football. Sounds like a good weekend.

Wish they had one of these every season. We did Fri at the Barn and Saturday at TCF two or three years ago. Good opportunity for us out of town fans.

Wish they had one of these every season. We did Fri at the Barn and Saturday at TCF two or three years ago. Good opportunity for us out of town fans.

Had you in mind when I posted this, Bayfield. Remember your previous post about said subject.

Are the Vikings, Wolves and Wild at home the same weekend? Could be gut-wrenching or fantastic!

Vikings are at home vs. Arizona! Oops!

Are the Vikings, Wolves and Wild at home the same weekend? Could be gut-wrenching or fantastic!

Vikings are, host Arizona.

Maybe a Larry Fitz sighting at Williams Arena and/or TCF?

I'll be jumping on this weekend.

Why does it seem we always play the same teams in these pre-season non conference events.

I know this is a different event but didn't we just play St Johns?

Damn! Right after I booked my flight to come up for the Purdue football weekend on Nov. 5; I could've gotten a 2-for-1 value for my trip. Oh well, I'll have to wait to see the hoops squad when they visit Evanston next winter.

Why does it seem we always play the same teams in these pre-season non conference events.

I know this is a different event but didn't we just play St Johns?

Played them in Pitino's first year in NIT Season Tipoff. Pissed away a game Gophers led most of the way. Might have been difference between NIT and NCAA (Johnnies ended up in NCAA).

St Johns

Played them in Pitino's first year in NIT Season Tipoff. Pissed away a game Gophers led most of the way. Might have been difference between NIT and NCAA (Johnnies ended up in NCAA).

It was actually Richard's 2nd season with the Gophers when they played St John's at MSG (2nd trip that calendar year).

Year 1 they went to Maui, lost to Syracuse & Arkansas and then beat Chaminade.

It was actually Richard's 2nd season with the Gophers when they played St John's at MSG (2nd trip that calendar year).

Year 1 they went to Maui, lost to Syracuse & Arkansas and then beat Chaminade.

Thanks. Got my seasons mixed up. Well, at least the loss to the Johnnies didn't cost Gophers a NCAA trip!

We play Georgia Tech, FSU, Virginia Tech, and Clemson almost exclusively in the ACC tournament and NIT matchups. And now it feels like St Johns is joining that mix.

Last year we did the Gophers, Twins, and Vikings all on the same weekend. May have to do it again with basketball instead of the Twins.

Rumble in the Garden on Gophers vs St. John's:

St. John's drew Richard Pitino's Minnesota Golden Gophers in what may be the most unpredictable contest - and the one relegated to a Friday night. Both teams are coming off terrible campaigns where they won a combined three conference games.

That being said, both teams are adding and retaining enough talent to compete at a higher-level in their respective conferences. Fans don't know what to expect out of both teams which should make for a highly competitive contest on Minnesota's campus, the kind of game that one team can use as a springboard for a rebound year. St. John's last faced the Gophers in a thriller in the NIT Season-Tip Off two years ago at Madison Square Garden.

At the very least St. John's will get a game against a Big Ten team

http://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/20...itt-games-st-johns-minnesota-big-east-big-ten

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom