PiPress: Richard Pitino hopes Gophers transfers, recruits bring leap to NCAAs

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino won’t talk about his team making the NCAA tournament next year. At least, not publicly.

After three years coming up short of the Big Dance, Pitino knows better than to throw out expectations that might seem far-fetched, especially after an eight-win season this year.

“I would never predict that,” Pitino said. “I expect us to have a much more complete team. I feel like if everybody is healthy, this will be our most talented team. It will be our deepest team. Hopefully that can end in an NCAA tournament. But who knows.”

With three transfers and three freshmen recruits coming in, Pitino said the Gophers could have two or three new starters next season. So the potential is there for a big jump; whether that jump is to the NCAA tournament only time will tell.

“I think the guys from last year understand the growth they were making,” Pitino said. “Dupree (McBrayer) was starting to grow, in my opinion. Nate was starting to have a very good second half of the Big Ten. (Jordan Murphy) obviously is a guy who can make a jump, as well as the rest of the guys. Internally, our guys are extremely excited about the team next year. It is going to be a different team.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/1...-hopes-transfers-bring-that-big-jump-to-ncaa/

Go Gophers!!

Everybody Approaches it Differently

per Marcus:

Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino won’t talk about his team making the NCAA tournament next year. At least, not publicly.

After three years coming up short of the Big Dance, Pitino knows better than to throw out expectations that might seem far-fetched, especially after an eight-win season this year.

“I would never predict that,” Pitino said. “I expect us to have a much more complete team. I feel like if everybody is healthy, this will be our most talented team. It will be our deepest team. Hopefully that can end in an NCAA tournament. But who knows.”

With three transfers and three freshmen recruits coming in, Pitino said the Gophers could have two or three new starters next season. So the potential is there for a big jump; whether that jump is to the NCAA tournament only time will tell.

“I think the guys from last year understand the growth they were making,” Pitino said. “Dupree (McBrayer) was starting to grow, in my opinion. Nate was starting to have a very good second half of the Big Ten. (Jordan Murphy) obviously is a guy who can make a jump, as well as the rest of the guys. Internally, our guys are extremely excited about the team next year. It is going to be a different team.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/04/1...-hopes-transfers-bring-that-big-jump-to-ncaa/

Go Gophers!!

Bill Musselman became the Gophers basketball coach. Without the players to do that at that point he predicted a Big Ten championship. He accomplished that. (yaya details, he did it) Tim Brewster rode in taking us to the Rose Bowl...um didn't happen but I appreciate he had dreams and goals and enough balls to state them to a hungry fan base. Richard Pitino in four years will not even predict qualifying for the NCAA Tournament in any of his four years. This bothers me. He finally has a full roster. Put some expectations on these guys. Show some some belief in their abilities and your own. Be accountable make it happen!! Stop wimping out and shirking from the obvious goal. Just fricking declare we certainly expect to be an NCAA tournament team, anything less would be a major disappointment...absolutely! One team wins the Big Ten championship (without ties), one Big Ten team used to go to the Rose Bowl automatically. Only one! 68 teams qualify for the NCAA Tournament. If that's too big a challenge as a Big Ten conference member, then be an assistant coach for somebody. Come on man! Step up!!! Make a commitment!!!
"Who knows?" You do!! It's your responsibility as the leader to MAKE it happen!!!!

Bill Musselman became the Gophers basketball coach. Without the players to do that at that point he predicted a Big Ten championship. He accomplished that. (yaya details, he did it) Tim Brewster rode in taking us to the Rose Bowl...um didn't happen but I appreciate he had dreams and goals and enough balls to state them to a hungry fan base. Richard Pitino in four years will not even predict qualifying for the NCAA Tournament in any of his four years. This bothers me. He finally has a full roster. Put some expectations on these guys. Show some some belief in their abilities and your own. Be accountable make it happen!! Stop wimping out and shirking from the obvious goal. Just fricking declare we certainly expect to be an NCAA tournament team, anything less would be a major disappointment...absolutely! One team wins the Big Ten championship (without ties), one Big Ten team used to go to the Rose Bowl automatically. Only one! 68 teams qualify for the NCAA Tournament. If that's too big a challenge as a Big Ten conference member, then be an assistant coach for somebody. Come on man! Step up!!! Make a commitment!!!
"Who knows?" You do!! It's your responsibility as the leader to MAKE it happen!!!!

Because I am sure what he says to the media and to his team are exactly the same. Pitino's also gone out on a limb plenty of times, recently declaring the three amigos would play vs Wisconsin. How did that one work out. They just need to shut up and get it done

How can Reusse nuke this one? Where there's a will, there's a way

Gosh I've never felt more like a GopherHoler

Because I am sure what he says to the media and to his team are exactly the same. Pitino's also gone out on a limb plenty of times, recently declaring the three amigos would play vs Wisconsin. How did that one work out. They just need to shut up and get it done

Agree. Worry about winning games. Rest takes care of itself.

Let's face it - if Pitino came out and said "we will go to the NCAA tournament - I guarantee it," he would be getting flamed by his critics on this board and elsewhere.

Pitino (I think) is trying to downplay expectations. That way, if they do have a better-than expected season next year, it makes him look better. If you set the bar low and exceed it, that is perceived much better than if you set the bar too high and fail to meet it.

Didn't he explicitly mention making the NCAA tournament in year two in his blog entries? I thought I remembered him saying that, and it seemed like a reasonable goal.

Blow

Harder

Top Bottom