All Things Penn State Road Trip Thread

It's game week! We're headed out first thing Friday morning. I can't wait.

Go Gophers!!

Penn Stater here. Safe travels to anyone making the trip.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Penn Stater here. Safe travels to anyone making the trip.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

state08, any recommendations on best places to hang out, grab a beer, chat with fans on Friday? I assume College Avenue offers the best of all options? Any specific restaurants or bars that would be fun for a visiting fan?

Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

Been in DC for six years and excited that the Gophers are finally coming to Penn State now that I am within driving distance.

1. It seems to be common knowledge that traffic is awful getting out of State College. Is getting out easier from downtown than the stadium lots? Any tips on easier outs for traffic? Or am I better off just trying to find something to eat after the game?

2. I'll do some more research on the earlier restaurant tips in this thread, but are there any good restaurants "iconic" to Penn State? (something that if I told someone that I went to State College, they would reply, "Oh, have you been to X?) And if that is too broad of a question, what is the best cheeseburger in town?

Thanks in advance!

state08, any recommendations on best places to hang out, grab a beer, chat with fans on Friday? I assume College Avenue offers the best of all options? Any specific restaurants or bars that would be fun for a visiting fan?

Thanks.

Go Gophers!!

A lot depends on age and type of scene you're looking for. I'm 30 and like to be able to actually talk to friends, maybe grab a table or barstool, maybe listen to some live music when I go back now.

College Avenue and Beaver Avenue (and between) comprise the downtown area and I'd recommend this area for going out. Some people may recommend some random bars/restaurants outside of downtown, but to get the real feel of State College, I'd hang around town.

My favorite places for a football Friday are below:

- Pickles - nothing too unique but gets a fun crowd typically and is in the heart of downtown, also not underground like many bars so good daytime spot
- All American Rathskeller ("The Skeller") - classic PSU bar, probably older crowd but also lots of tradition, Tip: no kitchen so food comes from Spats Café upstairs which is one of the better restaurants downtown
- Café 210 - very popular, outdoor patio in front and back, live music beginning at 6 and going all night (in the back room), known for Café Teas (flavored Long Island Iced Teas) and skillet fries
- Zenos – good beer bar under Pickles, usually has live music
- Liberty Craft House – newer beer bar so I’m not as familiar but supposedly excellent tap list
- Champs – fairly new sports bar downtown, related to popular longstanding sports bar in town, haven’t been but should be solid if that’s what you’re looking for
Rowdier Bars:
- The Phyrst – rowdy underground bar, live music, dancing on tables, hot bartenders (very collegey and popular with students)
- The Shandygaff (“The Gaff”) – similar feel to The Phyrst, popular spot to dance for students
- The Saloon – home of the Monkey Boy which is also a form of a flavored Long Island Iced Tea, comes in a pitcher and everyone gets their own
- Indigo – State College’s only “club,” fun spot but wouldn’t recommend unless you’re a student or very young alumni
Keep in mind State College isn’t a very big town and 100,000 people will be there for a football weekend. Places will get crowded so there may be some lines later in the night if you’re trying to bar hop. Hopefully with the 3:30 start some people will come in the morning and not do the whole weekend.

Been in DC for six years and excited that the Gophers are finally coming to Penn State now that I am within driving distance.

1. It seems to be common knowledge that traffic is awful getting out of State College. Is getting out easier from downtown than the stadium lots? Any tips on easier outs for traffic? Or am I better off just trying to find something to eat after the game?

2. I'll do some more research on the earlier restaurant tips in this thread, but are there any good restaurants "iconic" to Penn State? (something that if I told someone that I went to State College, they would reply, "Oh, have you been to X?) And if that is too broad of a question, what is the best cheeseburger in town?

Thanks in advance!

1. It is definitely easier to get out of downtown than the lots. If you do not plan on setting up a tailgate, then this is a great option. It’s probably about 1.5 miles from downtown to the stadium (some uphill), but it’s through campus so it’s not a bad walk and you can see some of the campus too. However, if tailgating is an option, I’d definitely recommend it. Since the stadium isn’t that near downtown, bars before the game aren’t as much of a focus as some places. The stadium is by itself on the edge of campus so there are massive tailgate lots in all directions. If parking at the stadium, I’d recommend Lot 12 (come down Park Avenue from Atherton St.). Also, depending on weather, it’s popular for people to stay after the game in the lots and continue tailgating while the traffic dies down. I’ve really only found traffic to be ridiculously awful after night games when everyone is leaving at the same time.
IMPORTANT: If you plan on parking in the Yellow Lots at the stadium, be sure to have a pass in advance. They are $40 day of game and $15 in advance. It is probably too late to order one now but if you are in town Friday during the day, you can stop by the Bryce Jordan Center (basketball arena) and purchase one.

2. The number 1 “iconic” place is the Creamery on campus. It is unfortunately not the original building anymore but it greatly outgrew that location. However, the new Creamery is still making fantastic ice cream. I’d go on Friday if possible as the line can be quite long on gameday.
Another iconic place is The Diner downtown for Grilled Stickies. I would probably not eat a meal here but the Grilled Stickies are worth checking out. They are a sticky bun grilled with butter and served with ice cream.
Babys – 50’s style diner opened by former PSU/Bears fullback Matt Suhey in the 80’s, solid food (burgers, milkshakes) but more of a cool experience than a culinary one
Iconic Restaurants:
- The Tavern – Penn State tradition, very old-fashioned, may be tough to get in on football weekend
- The Corner Room/Allen Street Grill – iconic corner in the heart of downtown that they show often during football telecasts, Corner Room is more casual downstairs while Allen Street Grill is slightly more formal (for State College) upstairs
- The Deli – probably my favorite restaurant in State College, nice place, nothing too fancy but big menu and great tap list (from connected Z Bar)
- Primanti Bros – this is more of a Pittsburgh icon than a State College one, but they opened one a few years back, famous for grilled meat sandwiches piled high with coleslaw and fries
- BEST BURGER – while I have not had one yet (don’t get back as much as I used to unfortunately), the best burger is supposedly at a bar called Local Whiskey. It is a newer bar located above The Phyrst and everyone I’ve spoken with swears its one of the best burgers they’ve had

We have a group of 5 going to the game....flying into Baltimore and driving up.

Looks like rain is in the forecast so a sloppy game awaits.

state08 - thank you very much for your recommendations. Very much appreciated.

Go Gophers!!

Any Gopher fans planning on tailgating around the stadium that wouldn't mind 2 fellow Gopher fans stopping by? Taking off for Baltimore tomorrow at 5:55 AM. Cant wait!!

IMPORTANT: If you plan on parking in the Yellow Lots at the stadium, be sure to have a pass in advance. They are $40 day of game and $15 in advance. It is probably too late to order one now but if you are in town Friday during the day, you can stop by the Bryce Jordan Center (basketball arena) and purchase one.

State08 and whoever else may have ideas:

Any recommendations on where to park downtown or near downtown if we are planning to arrive Friday afternoon and leave Sunday morning and are hoping to leave the car in one place?

And alternatively, if we buy one of the $15 parking passes you mention above can we leave the car in the lot overnight?

We booked an AirBNB downtown without parking and are scrambling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

State08 and whoever else may have ideas:

Any recommendations on where to park downtown or near downtown if we are planning to arrive Friday afternoon and leave Sunday morning and are hoping to leave the car in one place?

And alternatively, if we buy one of the $15 parking passes you mention above can we leave the car in the lot overnight?

We booked an AirBNB downtown without parking and are scrambling.

Good call booking at spot downtown, you'll have a great time.

As for parking, there are several parking garages downtown but obviously this will cost you to park over night. The rates, specifically for "event weekends" always seem to change so not sure how much it would be. There are also on campus garages that might be an option and very close to downtown, but again, I am not sure about rates and policies for football weekends.

There are also 2 Walmarts (it is Central PA after all) that allow RV parking and should be pretty full the Friday before the game. I'd imagine as long as you are parked in this area, you'd be completely fine. Neither is within walking distance to downtown but would be a cheap Uber.

I usually leave my car in the yellow lots ($15 lots with pre-paid pass) overnight after the game and have never had a problem. You'll be parked in the middle of a field so as long as you get it early-ish Sunday, its not affecting anyone. You can take a free White Loop or Blue Loop bus from downtown to get closer to the stadium Sunday morning.

We are making the 5 hour drive from the Detroit area to Clearfield, PA. It's a 45 min drive the next day to the yellow lots at the stadium. Our rooms were 65 a night in a low-rent motel, but we're not spending time, other than sleep anyway. Pumped for our first game at State College. We saw them get beat down in Ann Arbor two weeks ago. This is team we can definitely run on.

We are making the 5 hour drive from the Detroit area to Clearfield, PA. It's a 45 min drive the next day to the yellow lots at the stadium. Our rooms were 65 a night in a low-rent motel, but we're not spending time, other than sleep anyway. Pumped for our first game at State College. We saw them get beat down in Ann Arbor two weeks ago. This is team we can definitely run on.

I like your choice in accommodations. The hotel prices in State College are insane. You saved enough to cover tix, food, and beer. Enjoy!

Any Gopher fans planning on tailgating around the stadium that wouldn't mind 2 fellow Gopher fans stopping by? Taking off for Baltimore tomorrow at 5:55 AM. Cant wait!!

f31bd389ec6642554aaabedda3e46eba.jpg

Two of us will be in Red Lot probably arriving around noon. Would welcome any Gophers. Look for the flag.

f31bd389ec6642554aaabedda3e46eba.jpg

Two of us will be in Red Lot probably arriving around noon. Would welcome any Gophers. Look for the flag.

Is the beagle going?

He will be holding down the fort and running my DVR.

My beagle would only do that if there was food in the DVR.

516f35bc361728bec0683232ca52601a.jpg

Gopher fans welcome. Red lot last row. Gopher flag.

Tough loss today, but I wanted to hop in this thread and say that Penn State fans have been the nicest and most respectful fans I have met to date in the Big Ten. Everyone says, "Thanks for making the trip", "Good luck", or something similar.

Many tailgates pulled our group of four people in and offered food and/or drinks.

Stadium was quiet in the first half, but it came alive and got really loud in the 3rd quarter.

Overall a great experience and I would highly recommend if!

Top Bottom