All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Yeah I kind of wondered the same thing...got Tray Jackson to commit and now he signed with Mizzou. Sherfield on campus but can't get him to commit. Tough.

he is also listed as the main recruited for Ihnen...so we will see what happens with him

Everything you just wrote is why we need a SF. If Coffey comes back, we have a 5th guard who can handle, but monster holes at PF and SF.

If Coffey doesn't come back and get get a grad transfer PG, we can always just put Gabe at the 3 and then have Carr and a guy like Gresham or Hazzard alongside each other in the backcourt. And we would have Williams, Hurt and (hopefully) Ihnen to back up the 3.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

he is also listed as the main recruited for Ihnen...so we will see what happens with him

Well considering that we brought him in with the idea he was a good recruiter, I would hope that he could land an unranked Center and an unranked Forward

How long does Lindsted last if he can't even land players from the family program?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

+1. Dude, you've got to add value by locking down at least one of the kids from the program your family started! It's not asking that much...it's why you were brought onto this staff.

Smails.jpg

At least hes getting guys in the door. Dont hear much on jeter and Conroy

We shall see what happens, but we're seeing a lot of people not commit. Need some positive momentum in recruiting.

Let's hope for..........

Looks like Jeter was the lead on our 4-star guard who has already signed (Tre Williams)

the other T. Williams too. From Orr in Chicago. under recruited because he's on a great team.

Maybe more like OUCH? Argh Dang, with each guy that we miss on, the pressure mounts to secure the next in line. Not too much farther down the road I’m afraid we’ll be reaching...don’t want that. Need Ihnen imo

Or else you have to find diamond's in the rough. That's where having a team identity fits, so you can go for those guys.

Bummer about Sherfield, but I have to give him credit for staying home and valuing his family and representing his home state. Too bad more of our MN kids don’t do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer about Sherfield, but I have to give him credit for staying home and valuing his family and representing his home state. Too bad more of our MN kids don’t do the same.

True. Cant get mad at a kid staying home since we expect it here so much.

I agree, would love to have him at the U. Looks like his family and local fans wanted him to play at home. Unlike here were people think it is better, or a symbol of success to not play at the U!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another fail. Richard needed a home run this spring. Probably will get a suicide squeeze.

Another fail. Richard needed a home run this spring. Probably will get a suicide squeeze.

This is quite dramatic. While he would have been a nice addition for depth, Sherfield would have been our 5th (maybe 6th) guard this next year. The more important target is a grad transfer post player.

This is quite dramatic. While he would have been a nice addition for depth, Sherfield would have been our 5th (maybe 6th) guard this next year. The more important target is a grad transfer post player.

This is true only if Willis is a starting-caliber Big 10 player and Williams is more mature than your average freshman. I’m confident that Carr and Gabe will make a very good starting duo, but we need four game-ready guards. Of course, if Coffey returns, we are in very fine shape there.

Kalesheur proved he needs little rest so if Williams need to come along slowly then it shouldn't be a problem.

However, Williams played on a very good prep school team against the highest level of HS type competition. He may very well be used to the speed and physicality of college basketball already.

Willis is a crap shoot.

If Coffey returns, we would have 2 PGs we can count on.

"This is quite dramatic. While he would have been a nice addition for depth, Sherfield would have been our 5th (maybe 6th) guard this next year. The more important target is a grad transfer post player."

Carr, Kalscheur, Willis, and Tre Williams would be our 4 guards essentially. Some could flex to the 3 too, and they will if/when Coffey doesn't come back. I'd argue that we could have absolutely used Sherfield with really no wing players except Hurt. Id argue that Sherfield being the 6th off of the bench is dramatic, who is number 5? I like Mike Hurt coming off of the bench for 10 but not a ton more. We essentially have 5 guys that can play 1-3. That is going to hurt us the entire year unless we add someone.

Last edited:

Kalesheur proved he needs little rest so if Williams need to come along slowly then it shouldn't be a problem.

However, Williams played on a very good prep school team against the highest level of HS type competition. He may very well be used to the speed and physicality of college basketball already.

Willis is a crap shoot.

If Coffey returns, we would have 2 PGs we can count on.

I'm fully expecting Willis to have a positive role with the team next year. He's had a year (without any known injuries) to get better and stronger, and the best part is Pitino said the guy is a gym rat. He clearly was working hard during this past year. It's not too crazy to think he has improved since his last year at Vanderbilt.

"This is quite dramatic. While he would have been a nice addition for depth, Sherfield would have been our 5th (maybe 6th) guard this next year. The more important target is a grad transfer post player."

Carr, Kalscheur, Willis, and Tre Williams would be our 4 guards essentially. Some could flex to the 3 too, and they will if/when Coffey doesn't come back. I'd argue that we could have absolutely used Sherfield with really no wing players except Hurt. Id argue that Sherfield being the 6th off of the bench is dramatic, who is number 5? I like Mike Hurt coming off of the bench for 10 but not a ton more. We essentially have 5 guys that can play 1-3. That is going to hurt us the entire year unless we add someone.

Coffey would be the 5th guard (not in order of playing time) in my scenario. I'm not saying that we couldn't have used Sherfield - of course we'd like that kind of depth. I'm making two points: 1. Another guard is not our biggest need for next year; a power forward is (plus we can still target Gresham for a grad transfer guard). 2. It's not a surprise that a borderline Top 100 HS recruit doesn't like the idea of coming in to try and battle for playing time with 4 other guards.

There is no sugar coating it- it's a bummer that we missed on Sherfield. Let's see how the class fills out, maybe we will be pleasantly surprised. We are still in on a lot of guys. If Coffey returns I think we are going to have enough to be really good. If not, we are going to have to nail a sleeper. Calling Vince Grier.

Can understand it from Sherfield’s perspective as others have said, Carr and Gabe will likely be starters here the next 3 years so waiting it out doesn’t sound too exciting. I did think he had a chance to fill a 6th man role for us however as Dupree did as a sophomore. From clips, Sherfield looks a little further along than Williams and could have provided a good scoring punch off the bench. Oh well.

Hopefully we can pull in Ihnen and land a couple grad transfers. Pressure is on in 2020 and it really can’t afford to be as slow developing as this one. Hoping for a more aggressive approach than we’ve seen typically in the Pitino tenure. Positive signs that the 2020 locals have been to a few games, Mashburn Jr has already been on campus and according to Built, they seem to be hard after Beekman so hopefully a sign of what’s to come. Big 12 months for the program.

Coffey would be the 5th guard (not in order of playing time) in my scenario. I'm not saying that we couldn't have used Sherfield - of course we'd like that kind of depth. I'm making two points: 1. Another guard is not our biggest need for next year; a power forward is (plus we can still target Gresham for a grad transfer guard). 2. It's not a surprise that a borderline Top 100 HS recruit doesn't like the idea of coming in to try and battle for playing time with 4 other guards.

Really isn't any reason to believe he couldn't play more than Tre Williams and Hurt, but I get what you are saying...I don't think Amir is coming back so to me not grabbing another guard or wing is big to me. PF is definitely the most important, but I am not diminishing our need for another 1/2/3 (not saying you are, cus you aren't) especially when we will be playing 3 guards.

Why do so many keep talking this way? You don't flex people to a 2 or 3 offensively. College basketball, and Richard, have moved away from a 1, 2, and 3 offensively... They have 3 guards, and ideally have three guards who can each guard three positions -- a traditional 1, 2, or 3, and if not, at least two of the positions. For the most part, Richard has that in place. Carr can guard at least two, Gabe 3 positions, Williams looks like at least 2 maybe 3, and Richard has said consistently that the strength Willis brings is he can guard 3 positions. Yes, most teams look to a lead guard, a 1, but the other 2-3 positions are largely interchangable on offense.

It really is not about position on offense as much as it is who you can guard. Look at the four teams in the Final Four, all of them had four players who played on the perimeter offensively, and one who played inside. Virginia only had one starter bigger than 6'7, as did TTU and Auburn. MSU had two big guys, but really only one played inside offensively.

Top Bottom