All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Hard to say what Coffey communicated to Pitino but if there is a chance he comes back no recruit would accept the scholarship contingent on Coffey not getting drafted and have to wait until after the NBA draft day to find out the results, they will go elsewhere by then, either Coffey comes back or that scholarship goes to a walk on for a year.

I don't see why a player, say, for example, Crowley, would base his decision on Coffey being here or not.

Hard to say what Coffey communicated to Pitino but if there is a chance he comes back no recruit would accept the scholarship contingent on Coffey not getting drafted and have to wait until after the NBA draft day to find out the results, they will go elsewhere by then, either Coffey comes back or that scholarship goes to a walk on for a year.

first....if im not mistaken...coffey needs to decide by May 29th whether he comes back or not....if he stays in the draft at that point, even if he isn't drafted (draft is june 20th or something like that) he cannot come back at that point

secondly, you are right, we need to save a scholly for Coffey....and if he goes then we bank it for 2020...

thirdly, you still have to recruit to find a replacement for him....that's why Crowley would be a perfect get, a guy that if Coffey comes back he gives us solid depth at the wing...and if coffey decides for sure to go Crowley is our starting wing in place of coffey…..

first....if im not mistaken...coffey needs to decide by May 29th whether he comes back or not....if he stays in the draft at that point, even if he isn't drafted (draft is june 20th or something like that) he cannot come back at that point

secondly, you are right, we need to save a scholly for Coffey....and if he goes then we bank it for 2020...

thirdly, you still have to recruit to find a replacement for him....that's why Crowley would be a perfect get, a guy that if Coffey comes back he gives us solid depth at the wing...and if coffey decides for sure to go Crowley is our starting wing in place of coffey…..

The rule has changed and players who are undrafted can return to college as long as they participated in the combine. But he could also go to the Summer League or G League to try to catch on with a team.

He is still eligible to return if he stays in the draft and no one picks him. Just has to inform the AD by the Monday after the draft that he will be returning to school. So we might not know for sure until Monday June 24. I doubt we fill all our scholarships by then so we'd still have a spot for him.

My sense is that he is gone either way. I think he'd take a two-way contract as an undrafted free agent, seems like his dad wants him to start playing pro basketball as soon as he can. I could be wrong though, just depends what he wants to do.

He is still eligible to return if he stays in the draft and no one picks him. Just has to inform the AD by the Monday after the draft that he will be returning to school. So we might not know for sure until Monday June 24. I doubt we fill all our scholarships by then so we'd still have a spot for him.

My sense is that he is gone either way. I think he'd take a two-way contract as an undrafted free agent, seems like his dad wants him to start playing pro basketball as soon as he can. I could be wrong though, just depends what he wants to do.

I believe he is eligible to return if undrafted but only if he is invited to the combine. Last there were were 69 players that got combine invites or somewhere right around there so it doesn't look like he would get one.

Question

do we have 3 scholarships left if Coffey comes back....4 without him?

First we land Sam and possibly Crowley. This is turning into an episode of Supernatural.

Add to this the previous discussion of Michael Hurt possibly transferring to play with his brother.

Personally, I don't see Michael following his brother anywhere. He genuinely seems to really love the U and his teammates based on how he expresses himself on the court and on the bench.

The rule has changed and players who are undrafted can return to college as long as they participated in the combine. But he could also go to the Summer League or G League to try to catch on with a team.

perfect. Thanks

Personally, I don't see Michael following his brother anywhere. He genuinely seems to really love the U and his teammates based on how he expresses himself on the court and on the bench.

The only thing that might keep Mike here is his girlfriend, otherwise he will go with Matt.

I believe he is eligible to return if undrafted but only if he is invited to the combine. Last there were were 69 players that got combine invites or somewhere right around there so it doesn't look like he would get one.

Right, he has to be invited to the combine in order to be able to stay in through the draft while maintaining his college eligibility. Otherwise he has to decide before. No idea if he'll get an invite to the combine. Signing with an agent probably helps because maybe the agent can work some magic with league contacts to get him an invite. Last year there were a few surprises, but I really don't know what his chances would be to get an invite.

And if Coffey is gone he's likely starting.

I don't see why a player, say, for example, Crowley, would base his decision on Coffey being here or not.

My statement really isn't about Crowley, I would expect them to continue to pursue Crowley and it shouldn't impact Crowley's position, Coffey's scholarship really can't be recruited for as if it is available if there is a chance he is coming back, they have five spots open and committing the sixth is impossible until a decision is made after the draft.

So who is then? Freshman Tre Williams? I would be shocked by that. Mind you we don't have a starting 3 or 4 right now and Hurt can play either. Soooooooo

There's this thing called the transfer market that we will (or should) be heavily involved in

So who is then? Freshman Tre Williams? I would be shocked by that. Mind you we don't have a starting 3 or 4 right now and Hurt can play either. Soooooooo

Our starting 5 would probably look like Carr/Willis/Kalscheur/Curry/Oturu

If Coffey is gone (50/50 at worst) then we will get a transfer to take that role. Or a guy like Ihnen is also a possibility. They are going to be able to find someone better than Hurt to start. I think Hurt could play a nice bench role.

If Coffey (stupidly) leaves the Gophers and everything else stays the same, it seems likely that the starting backcourt would be Carr-Willis-Kalscheur. Curry-Oturu would be the 4-5 if Curry is healthy, and if not, probably Omersa. It doesn't seem likely that Hurt will be starting regardless, unless of course that Hurt's name is Matthew.

I'd trade out Williams for willis

This assuming a lot considering Willis has had 3 years in a college program. Basically youre saying Williams is another Gabe. Hope you're right, but not ready to write Willis off

This assuming a lot considering Willis has had 3 years in a college program. Basically youre saying Williams is another Gabe. Hope you're right, but not ready to write Willis off

3 years? thought is was only at Vandy for 1?

There's this thing called the transfer market that we will (or should) be heavily involved in

Oh wow! I've never heard of that before. I stand by my statement.

For those saying Curry. Really? We watching the same games this year? He played very much below the rim, his injury clearly sapped his athleticism and then he got injured again. If he makes positive contributions again I'd frankly be shocked. Not buying that

Ihnen, well we'd actually have to land him first

Grad transfer market netted us Brock Stull last year. The best grad transfers won't come here. I think some of you will be shocked to see Michael Hurt starting at the 3 next year.

Willis, maybe, but what does he bring at all? He wasn't that good at Vandy

Last edited:

My bad... 2 at vandy and 1 here....

i'm a little slow sometimes :)

Oh wow! I've never heard of that before. I stand by my statement.

For those saying Curry. Really? We watching the same games this year? He played very much below the rim, his injury clearly sapped his athleticism and then he got injured again. If he makes positive contributions again I'd frankly be shocked. Not buying that

Ihnen, well we'd actually have to land him first

Grad transfer market netted us Brock Stull last year. The best grad transfers won't come here. I think some of you will be shocked to see Michael Hurt starting at the 3 next year.

Willis, maybe, but what does he bring at all? He wasn't that good at Vandy

I'd also not be thrilled if Curry is starting next year as we can't bank on his health. We agree on that.

But if Michael Hurt is starting at the 3 next year, we are in big trouble and we had a very bad run in spring recruiting.

looks like after taking an unofficial visit to ol miss last week Austin Crowley has now set up an official visit with them next weekend....and they have switched him to "warmer" for ol miss.

Top Bottom