Page 56 of 156 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePride View Post
    Johnson "very excited" about Minnesota offer

TheGopherReport.com
    Tony Johnson Jr. picked up a Minnesota offer last week. Honestly, it was not a surprise. The Gophers coaching staff first saw him last summer with the Georgia Stars of the EYBL circuit, and have be...

Looks like he was a 2018 recruit. Did he reclassify?

Tony Johnson
    Pos
    PG
    Height
    6-3
    Weight

Prospect Info
    High School Eufaula
    Home Town Eufaula, AL

nm

Quote Originally Posted by abrams View Post
    I hope they are able to land a Juco PF or C for next season. They will have to replace Matts and Murphy. Curry could start at the 4 next year and Oturu at the 5 so they will be fine, they need depth bad however. Pipe-dream hurt would start at the 4 next year if he comes. Either way they need a 4/5 this off-season probably 2.
    Pitino has done a good job picking up spring guys. I think a grad transfer big would be good/best option and the one Pitino pursues, but truthfully they really don't have a ton to replace. Curry and Oturu will be entrenched there and Omersa will be off the bench and hopefully improved as a sophomore. I also think they want to keep some of those slots open for the 2020 class to see and that is why you don't see a ton of traction for us recruiting many PF/C types. We have plenty of scholoarships to also throw at a "high potential" guy too if need be. Will be fun to watch and see what happens and who becomes available, especially if we have a good B10 season and Murph, Oturo and Curry when he joins keep doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson1984 View Post
    Pitino has done a good job picking up spring guys. I think a grad transfer big would be good/best option and the one Pitino pursues, but truthfully they really don't have a ton to replace. Curry and Oturu will be entrenched there and Omersa will be off the bench and hopefully improved as a sophomore. I also think they want to keep some of those slots open for the 2020 class to see and that is why you don't see a ton of traction for us recruiting many PF/C types. We have plenty of scholoarships to also throw at a "high potential" guy too if need be. Will be fun to watch and see what happens and who becomes available, especially if we have a good B10 season and Murph, Oturo and Curry when he joins keep doing well.
    My take is a little less rosy. It will be very difficult to replace Murphy’s inside scoring next year. While I like Curry and Oturu, it will be crucial to pick up one or two guys who can play the 4 and 5 spots right away. I think one of the two needs to be a starter-quality guy. So, transfer and JC routes would seem most likely. If Pitino can pull that off, I like our team next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bordergopher View Post
    My take is a little less rosy. It will be very difficult to replace Murphy’s inside scoring next year. While I like Curry and Oturu, it will be crucial to pick up one or two guys who can play the 4 and 5 spots right away. I think one of the two needs to be a starter-quality guy. So, transfer and JC routes would seem most likely. If Pitino can pull that off, I like our team next year.

Well of course I'd love that option, but having 4-5 starting level bigs is unlikely for pretty much any program in the country. I do think they do have about 10-15 minutes a game to sell a JC or grad transfer guy. We will see and I'd gladly take 2 more starter quality bigs, that'd be unreal depth. One more big that can play that 10-15 minutes will be what we need with the development of Coffey, Oturo, Gabe, Curry, and Carr. It will be an interesting spring to say the least. Lets hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by paulser21 View Post
    He has good vision and speed for a player of his size. He has good wingspan and with proper coaching could become a good defender with his length and athleticism.

Looks like Sam Freeman is back in play.

Quote Originally Posted by Cayman View Post
    Looks like Sam Freeman is back in play.

i get that we've seen him live so that bodes well i guess, but according to rivals we are his only offer. does that not seem weird to others? how can a kid in this day and age be worthy of a top 40 program offer and no others? are we that good at finding diamonds in the rough?

Quote Originally Posted by Go4 View Post
    i get that we've seen him live so that bodes well i guess, but according to rivals we are his only offer. does that not seem weird to others? how can a kid in this day and age be worthy of a top 40 program offer and no others? are we that good at finding diamonds in the rough?
    Depending on how long Oturo stays in college a kid like that may be your best option, it's nice to get all 4* but if we get three years from Oturo a serviceable substitute that gets 8 or 9 minutes a night might be your best option.

Wow, sign the guy, he can move, can't tell that much from a highlight tape but he reminds me of Theo John.
    Last edited by jovs; 01-01-2019 at 01:39 PM.

I like the little that we can see. I’m guessing he is a very poor shooter or he would have a bunch of offers. Seems athletic and is said to be a good rebounder. Does he have a good feel for the game and is he a good passer? I’m also a bit puzzled by the lack of offers. Insight anyone?

with Oturu on roster I think a kid like this would be a solid add. Looks big, strong, & pretty athletic. but my guess is he probably isn't much of an option, yet, away from the basket.