All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Not so much that as much as I just don't get the interest in him at all. Very limited offensive game, defensive "upside" (aka he's big so could potentially block some shots), not an elite athlete, basically screams we're falling into the spring recruiting trap of offering project HS kids who's max upside is a depth piece. You recruit some grad transfers to plug holes and be fill that need, not 4 year HS commitments. My personal philosophy is to steer clear of those situations come this time of year as much as possible.

To be fair, it's not just Freeman, I'd say this for some other kids we're recruiting right now as well (Ihnen specifically). There are 300+ D1 Basketball programs and being 6'8"+ with any remote amount of skill basically guarantees you play somewhere at the D1 level. However, fitting that bill and having your recruitment just starting to pick up now it is a major red flag. Barring you fitting a situation like an All-American or guys available via coaching changes suddenly back on the market, guys that fit this profile that are still available tend to still be available for a reason.

Obviously coaches know a lot more than me but that's my take on him. I'm just not interested, I find a depth piece center on the grad transfer market for next year and shoot for a legitimate Big Ten center in the 2020 class but that's just my opinion. Freeman is probably going to end up here and I'll support him but I see this working out much more like an Oto, a mav, an Ahmad Gilbert type of spring recruit than a Murphy type in terms of actual production on the floor. Obviously, they all play different positions than him but you get my point.

WOW. A LOT of assumptions in these three paragraphs.

Not so much that as much as I just don't get the interest in him at all. Very limited offensive game, defensive "upside" (aka he's big so could potentially block some shots), not an elite athlete, basically screams we're falling into the spring recruiting trap of offering project HS kids who's max upside is a depth piece. You recruit some grad transfers to plug holes and be fill that need, not 4 year HS commitments. My personal philosophy is to steer clear of those situations come this time of year as much as possible.

To be fair, it's not just Freeman, I'd say this for some other kids we're recruiting right now as well (Ihnen specifically). There are 300+ D1 Basketball programs and being 6'8"+ with any remote amount of skill basically guarantees you play somewhere at the D1 level. However, fitting that bill and having your recruitment just starting to pick up now it is a major red flag. Barring you fitting a situation like an All-American or guys available via coaching changes suddenly back on the market, guys that fit this profile that are still available tend to still be available for a reason.

Obviously coaches know a lot more than me but that's my take on him. I'm just not interested, I find a depth piece center on the grad transfer market for next year and shoot for a legitimate Big Ten center in the 2020 class but that's just my opinion. Freeman is probably going to end up here and I'll support him but I see this working out much more like an Oto, a mav, an Ahmad Gilbert type of spring recruit than a Murphy type in terms of actual production on the floor. Obviously, they all play different positions than him but you get my point.

Most of us on this board have never seen him play so this is highly speculative. We all like to react to internet rankings. By that measure, IW would have been all conference and Jordan Murphy would have been a good depth piece.

We'll likely have a nationally-ranked-top-50 recruit in Oturu starting at Center for 3 more years. It will be tough to recruit a big who is good enough to start all 4 years, or at least be a major contributor right away

We'll likely have a nationally-ranked-top-50 recruit in Oturu starting at Center for 3 more years. It will be tough to recruit a big who is good enough to start all 4 years, or at least be a major contributor right away

I'm with you on most of this, but I think there is 2% chance Oturu plays 4 years. For someone his size, if he continues to fill out and develop on an arc like he did this year, I'd say at most he leaves after his junior year. If he has a great next season, I wouldn't be shocked to see him go after his sophomore year

He's not highly regarded and likely not gonna be much of a contributor next year but it seems like hes got some decent upside. He's essentially taking Stockmans spot, either backup or 3rd string center depending on Curry. I agree we need instant contributors for next year and we got 3 more schollies but we also really needed another center.

If could get a grad transfer or juco big man, then I'd be really good with this commitment. I havent seen him play, but if hes raw, its Pitino's job to develop him. He is 6'10 and athletic. That size is hard to get

If could get a grad transfer or juco big man, then I'd be really good with this commitment. I havent seen him play, but if hes raw, its Pitino's job to develop him. He is 6'10 and athletic. That size is hard to get

He is said to be already a very good rebounder and athletic. Recently broke some sort of single-game rebound record in Texas. I think it was 28. I would prefer a guy who can shoot as well, but an instant rebounder and shot-blocker to spell Oturu isn’t all bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gophers in the mix for fast-growing Texas center Sam Freeman who announces Thursday

Richard Pitino was so impressed with Sam Freeman last summer that he offered the Texas big man a scholarship after watching him block and dunk all over opponents during the Gophers’ team camp.

Pitino and the Gophers were one of the first high majors to show serious interest.

Now the 6-foot-10 senior at Northwest High in Justin, Texas is considering Minnesota among his college destinations with an announcement scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Thursday at his school.

Freeman was down to the Gophers and Virginia Tech, but Buzz Williams left the Hokies for Texas A&M on Wednesday. I was told that Freeman was aware of Williams’ departure, so we’ll see if he looks at the Aggies as an option as well. Pitino has four scholarships left for the 2019 recruiting class. Wasatch Academy (Utah) four-star guard Tre’ Williams is the U’s only signed recruit so far.

Last weekend, Freeman concluded his official visit to Minnesota’s campus, saying: “It was well put together. I enjoyed it a lot.”

Freeman’s father, Sam Sr., also thought Pitino and the Gophers had an impressive pitch to his son.

“The opportunity to earn playing time,” Freeman’s dad said was a big selling point. “The staff did a great job of recruiting him. The people in the community seem to support the program. Very nice city. The facilities were nice.”

“He’s a rebounder and a defender,” Freeman’s mentor and Creating Young Minds co-founder Mathis Crowder said this week. “You had (Jordan) Murphy doing a lot of the rebounding this year. He did a great job, but he was undersized. This young man is only 17 years old, and he’s 6-10 and 230. He’s basically a player they don’t make too much anymore. A rebounder, defender, hustle guy who will do all the dirty work. He’s basically what Michigan State has. Minnesota would get that. He’s that kind of kid. He’s a loyal kid, hardworking kid and has no excuses. He just does it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...sam-freeman-who-announces-thursday/508060792/

Go Gophers!!

Gophers in the mix for fast-growing Texas center Sam Freeman who announces Thursday

Richard Pitino was so impressed with Sam Freeman last summer that he offered the Texas big man a scholarship after watching him block and dunk all over opponents during the Gophers’ team camp.

Pitino and the Gophers were one of the first high majors to show serious interest.

Now the 6-foot-10 senior at Northwest High in Justin, Texas is considering Minnesota among his college destinations with an announcement scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Thursday at his school.

Freeman was down to the Gophers and Virginia Tech, but Buzz Williams left the Hokies for Texas A&M on Wednesday. I was told that Freeman was aware of Williams’ departure, so we’ll see if he looks at the Aggies as an option as well. Pitino has four scholarships left for the 2019 recruiting class. Wasatch Academy (Utah) four-star guard Tre’ Williams is the U’s only signed recruit so far.

Last weekend, Freeman concluded his official visit to Minnesota’s campus, saying: “It was well put together. I enjoyed it a lot.”

Freeman’s father, Sam Sr., also thought Pitino and the Gophers had an impressive pitch to his son.

“The opportunity to earn playing time,” Freeman’s dad said was a big selling point. “The staff did a great job of recruiting him. The people in the community seem to support the program. Very nice city. The facilities were nice.”

“He’s a rebounder and a defender,” Freeman’s mentor and Creating Young Minds co-founder Mathis Crowder said this week. “You had (Jordan) Murphy doing a lot of the rebounding this year. He did a great job, but he was undersized. This young man is only 17 years old, and he’s 6-10 and 230. He’s basically a player they don’t make too much anymore. A rebounder, defender, hustle guy who will do all the dirty work. He’s basically what Michigan State has. Minnesota would get that. He’s that kind of kid. He’s a loyal kid, hardworking kid and has no excuses. He just does it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...sam-freeman-who-announces-thursday/508060792/

Go Gophers!!

Reading that entire article gets me even more pumped for Freeman. Sounds like he is still growing and could end up close to 7 feet! His lack of time on the AAU circuit is likely to blame for his lighter internet profile.

Austin Crowley and Grant Sherfield with Sunrise Christian are playing in the Geico High School nationals tomorrow out in NYC on ESPNU as is Tre Williams with Wasatch. Excited to see them play some high level competition, wonder if Pitino and staff will be out in NYC to watch.

He is said to be already a very good rebounder and athletic. Recently broke some sort of single-game rebound record in Texas. I think it was 28. I would prefer a guy who can shoot as well, but an instant rebounder and shot-blocker to spell Oturu isn’t all bad.

agreed. And you need the glue guys. Only so much basketball to go around

All great ideas, however, you’re assuming a grad transfer or juco of significance is just begging to come here rather than going to a better school or bigger opportunity.

At some point Pitino has to develop unheralded recruits above their star ranking. Freeman has as good a chance as any to be that guy. The reason I like him more than the names you mentioned is we’ve been in on freeman for quite some time. We didn’t just hear about him and he’s not a new recruit in March. There is also another very respectable coach in on him in buzz.

Has anyone considered a red shirt. He is being told he has a chance to compete for time. That can easily mean that after that evaluation next fall and a projected playing time that he can be a 5 year guy. Bigs take a long time unless they are like Oturo.

Has anyone considered a red shirt. He is being told he has a chance to compete for time. That can easily mean that after that evaluation next fall and a projected playing time that he can be a 5 year guy. Bigs take a long time unless they are like Oturo.

I wouldn't be against it

He does not have a offer from Buzz or Vtech and with Dixon dancing on the UCLA thing i would be very surprised if he does not come here and redshirt.

All great ideas, however, you’re assuming a grad transfer or juco of significance is just begging to come here rather than going to a better school or bigger opportunity.

At some point Pitino has to develop unheralded recruits above their star ranking. Freeman has as good a chance as any to be that guy. The reason I like him more than the names you mentioned is we’ve been in on freeman for quite some time. We didn’t just hear about him and he’s not a new recruit in March. There is also another very respectable coach in on him in buzz.

I agree with you about Freeman and I hope he comes here.

I still think they need to recruit a grad transfer 4 or stretch 4 and I think they can get one. There's far more grad transfer point guards available and they need one of those too.

He does not have a offer from Buzz or Vtech and with Dixon dancing on the UCLA thing i would be very surprised if he does not come here and redshirt.

This coach hasn't redshirted a freshman yet; only transfers. If he picks up a couple of sit out transfers (entirely possible), he may not be able to redshirt Freeman.

I'd be shocked if he redshirted.

1. If we didn't RS Gaston, we probably aren't redshirting anyone.

2. Who would our backup center be? I know we still have scholarships but if sounds like we'll take Freeman as our backup center and then use our scholarships elsewhere.

2. Who would our backup center be? I know we still have scholarships but if sounds like we'll take Freeman as our backup center and then use our scholarships elsewhere.

1. Our depth was different with Gas.

2. Curry, Jarvis, Oruro, Hurt, and a Grad Transfer big is more than enough depth. If Freeman is willing to redshirt I love the idea with bigs.

1. Our depth was different with Gas.

2. Curry, Jarvis, Oruro, Hurt, and a Grad Transfer big is more than enough depth. If Freeman is willing to redshirt I love the idea with bigs.

If we get a grad transfer who's more of a stretch 4 and not a real banger like I anticipate then Curry would be the only backup center on the team. With his injuries, that's absolutely not enough depth. If Freeman isn't going to contribute next year then I think Pitino would rather just save the scholarship for the 2020 class with all the big men in that class.

If we get a grad transfer who's more of a stretch 4 and not a real banger like I anticipate then Curry would be the only backup center on the team. With his injuries, that's absolutely not enough depth. If Freeman isn't going to contribute next year then I think Pitino would rather just save the scholarship for the 2020 class with all the big men in that class.

Then you pull his redshirt. Not a huge deal

Well, there appears to be a good chance that Freeman will come here. We don't know about a grad transfer 4 or 5 yet. We haven't heard anything about Pitino recruiting one.

You mean like a transfer and sit? Never heard of this red shirt thingy, ....Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t see how we could redshirt him unless we get a grad transfer center.

well with the Coffey news we now become a very attractive spot for a SF type player.....Crowley or Grad Transfer

I think ultimately coffey is back next year

I agree....but we have to recruit like he isn't coming back....you cant assume he will be back and then get caught with your pants down

Gas was never good enough to be redshirted. Having him occupy a scholarship for five years would have been awful.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I agree....but we have to recruit like he isn't coming back....you cant assume he will be back and then get caught with your pants down

Hard to say what Coffey communicated to Pitino but if there is a chance he comes back no recruit would accept the scholarship contingent on Coffey not getting drafted and have to wait until after the NBA draft day to find out the results, they will go elsewhere by then, either Coffey comes back or that scholarship goes to a walk on for a year.

Top Bottom