All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Just curious, do we have any more solid information (than the "warm" listing on 247) that Crowley is still interested in us? I know we were one of his final three, but I'm just wondering if there has been anything else that indicates the Gophers are in the mix again.

Just curious, do we have any more solid information (than the "warm" listing on 247) that Crowley is still interested in us? I know we were one of his final three, but I'm just wondering if there has been anything else that indicates the Gophers are in the mix again.

just speculation at this point I would think

Could anyone see David Jenkins from SDSU being interested in coming here? Seems like he'd be a great transfer to target, high level 3 pt shooting guard, played near the U already, 2 years of eligibility left.

Could anyone see David Jenkins from SDSU being interested in coming here? Seems like he'd be a great transfer to target, high level 3 pt shooting guard, played near the U already, 2 years of eligibility left.

He's probably the best transfer on the market and gonna have a ton of schools on him. I'm sure theyll at least reach out to him but he's gonna be really hard to get.

Jenkins may follow TJ to UNLV, they are listed in the schools that have reached out to him.

If we get Sherfield I’ll be pretty satisfied with our backcourt/wing positions. But then there’s the frontcourt. The problem with recruiting bigs is that Oturu is a stud and a hometown favorite who is a fringe NBA player who could stay all 4 years. It will be hard to convince a high-ranked Center or grad transfer Center coming here. To make matters worse we’ll likely need a Center because we can’t rely on Curry to be the backup and while Omersa looked good down the stretch I’m not sure we can rely on him to put up major minutes at Center if needed. That doesn’t even mention the hole we need to fill in Murphy at PF.

I like the idea of getting 2019 C propset Freeman in addition to a grad transfer PF. We can then target a 2020 PF

Jenkins spent a year at Sunrise Christian, Lindstad also involved at Sunrise.

With Buzz Williams going to Texas A&M, does that all but guarantee us Sam Freeman? Pretty sure the only other place he's visited was Virginia Tech

Edit: Freeman is announcing his decision tomorrow, FYI. So there's a good chance our recruiting class will grow to two on Thursday

Any chance Freeman follows Williams to A&M?

wouldn't be crazy. Freeman is from Texas.. Hope that hasn't been negotiated between them.. Didn't even think of that

Edit: You would think Buzz would have told him, "hey, I am going to Texas A&M, hold off on announcing so you can take an official visit there."

Would be kind of weird if Freeman went all the way to Virginia just to talk to Buzz Williams.. There's more to a decision than a coach.

wouldn't be crazy. Freeman is from Texas.. Hope that hasn't been negotiated between them.. Didn't even think of that

Edit: You would think Buzz would have told him, "hey, I am going to Texas A&M, hold off on announcing so you can take an official visit there."

Would be kind of weird if Freeman went all the way to Virginia just to talk to Buzz Williams.. There's more to a decision than a coach.

Only need to worry if you see him delay his announcement. The fact he decided to make his announcement after VT lost is pretty telling that he'll most likely pick the Gophers.

I know this is probably overly simplistic to look at it this way but it appears to go one of two ways. Either Buzz made it clear to Sam that he has an offer to follow him to TAMU and Sam knew when Buzz was getting announced so he scheduled his commitment right afterwards or his offer to VT no longer stands and Buzz isn't too interested in him at TAMU for a variety of reasons and the Gophers seem to land him by default then, especially with him taking an under the radar trip up here last week.

Really, it depends on if he has the greenlight to follow Buzz to TAMU. If he does, I have a tough time believing he turns that down (which IMO wouldn't be the worst thing for us).

Would be kind of weird if Freeman went all the way to Virginia just to talk to Buzz Williams.. There's more to a decision than a coach.[/QUOTE

Can't imagine a coach confiding in a player that he is moving before any announcement publicly on the coach's move. I get the plan and can see an immediate call after the Twitter announcement if he wants him to come, but doing so earlier doesn't seem plausible to me. Has the Williams to A&M move been confirmed yet?

Would be kind of weird if Freeman went all the way to Virginia just to talk to Buzz Williams.. There's more to a decision than a coach.[/QUOTE

Can't imagine a coach confiding in a player that he is moving before any announcement publicly on the coach's move. I get the plan and can see an immediate call after the Twitter announcement if he wants him to come, but doing so earlier doesn't seem plausible to me. Has the Williams to A&M move been confirmed yet?

Yes, it's on the front page stories on ESPN

Just picked up a crystal ball for Freeman

It seems like Evan Daniels has a direct source with the Gophers program. He often tweets Gophers related news. (see IW departure)

So probably a good sign if you are a Freeman fan.

I know this is probably overly simplistic to look at it this way but it appears to go one of two ways. Either Buzz made it clear to Sam that he has an offer to follow him to TAMU and Sam knew when Buzz was getting announced so he scheduled his commitment right afterwards or his offer to VT no longer stands and Buzz isn't too interested in him at TAMU for a variety of reasons and the Gophers seem to land him by default then, especially with him taking an under the radar trip up here last week.

Really, it depends on if he has the greenlight to follow Buzz to TAMU. If he does, I have a tough time believing he turns that down (which IMO wouldn't be the worst thing for us).

Hmmmm...

Big man from Texas who is interested in a Virginia school sees that potential coach leave for a school in Texas, then doesn't follow that coach there but instead commits to Minnesota.

Jordan Murphy deja vu?

Hmmmm...

Big man from Texas who is interested in a Virginia school sees that potential coach leave for a school in Texas, then doesn't follow that coach there but instead commits to Minnesota.

Jordan Murphy deja vu?

So count me in as thinking this is a done deal. Setting myself up for disappointed is fun

That's kind of funny that you think he's good enough to get a Texas A&M offer from a highly regarded coach in his first class which needs to be a splash but he's not good enough for the Gophers?

Or are you implying something entirely different?

A serious question.

Is Freeman pretty highly regarded, or would this be a case of just being excited because we have a breathing body that wants to sign with the Gophers? Need at least 2-3 guys that can contribute immediately next season (in addition to Carr), and in a perfect world are significantly better players than Hurt & Omersa.

Last edited:

A serious question.

Is Freeman pretty highly regarded, or would this be a case of just being excited because we have a breathing body that wants to sign with the Gophers? Need at least 2-3 guys that can contribute immediately next season (in addition to Carr), and in a perfect world are significantly better players than Hurt & Omersa.

He is a bit of a mystery, just like Tre Williams was when he committed. But the Gophers offered him last summer, so I wouldn't say this is a desperate reach. He has grown a lot in the last year and appears to be athletic. I'd also say that Buzz Williams has proven to be a solid evaluator of talent

A serious question.

None of us really know. He's recruiting profile is a little light, but staff has been recruiting him for a year and some prominent coaches seem interested.

I'll root for anyone who selects to wear the M to do well and be optimistic

A serious question.

He's not highly regarded and likely not gonna be much of a contributor next year but it seems like hes got some decent upside. He's essentially taking Stockmans spot, either backup or 3rd string center depending on Curry. I agree we need instant contributors for next year and we got 3 more schollies but we also really needed another center.

That's kind of funny that you think he's good enough to get a Texas A&M offer from a highly regarded coach in his first class which needs to be a splash but he's not good enough for the Gophers?

Or are you implying something entirely different?

Not so much that as much as I just don't get the interest in him at all. Very limited offensive game, defensive "upside" (aka he's big so could potentially block some shots), not an elite athlete, basically screams we're falling into the spring recruiting trap of offering project HS kids who's max upside is a depth piece. You recruit some grad transfers to plug holes and be fill that need, not 4 year HS commitments. My personal philosophy is to steer clear of those situations come this time of year as much as possible.

To be fair, it's not just Freeman, I'd say this for some other kids we're recruiting right now as well (Ihnen specifically). There are 300+ D1 Basketball programs and being 6'8"+ with any remote amount of skill basically guarantees you play somewhere at the D1 level. However, fitting that bill and having your recruitment just starting to pick up now it is a major red flag. Barring you fitting a situation like an All-American or guys available via coaching changes suddenly back on the market, guys that fit this profile that are still available tend to still be available for a reason.

Obviously coaches know a lot more than me but that's my take on him. I'm just not interested, I find a depth piece center on the grad transfer market for next year and shoot for a legitimate Big Ten center in the 2020 class but that's just my opinion. Freeman is probably going to end up here and I'll support him but I see this working out much more like an Oto, a mav, an Ahmad Gilbert type of spring recruit than a Murphy type in terms of actual production on the floor. Obviously, they all play different positions than him but you get my point.

Top Bottom