All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

It means he would guard other teams 4's on defense because he is 6-8, 215. Murphy played 31 minutes a game which means he sat on the bench for 9. Maybe Pitino didn't do this because he wanted to focus on the teams strengths but he might have also not done it because he is a believer in having a traditional PF at the 4.

Agreed - it will be interesting to see what he does now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one really plays SG, SF anymore in college hoops. Like the game has evolved, I think Pitino wants to really play four out. I think we will see a shift with Murphy graduating. He did limit what Pitino could do because he was too small to guard a big guy, so had to play three out, two in because you couldn’t really take Murphy off the floor.

Look at Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa... almost all just play one big with four perimeter players. Purdue started a Williams or Harms, three 6-5/6-6 perimeter guys, and Edwards. Michigan started one 7 footer, and four guys 6-6 and under.

Pitino could very well start four of the six names you listed and Oturo, with Curry and Omersa rotating in, sometimes playing two bigs for a shift. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Correct. Pitino has indicated several times that he wants versatile players that can switch up on the fly. He just needs to get those lock down defenders.

That may have been one of the reasons IW didn’t fit. The PG needs to set up the offense and be a lock down defender if he can’t shoot the ball. IW lost his shooting touch and couldn’t lockdown on defense.

Love his game. Off the charts defender, high game IQ. Badgers in on him a long time, ACC schools thinking about it. Jeter kind of player. Very interesting.

See, Pitino is interested in defense.

McBrayer turned into an outstanding defender. He bothered Edwards more than anyone.

Umm.... who did Gabe guard? I remember Cline and Eastern giving us trouble and Gabe didn’t guard those two. Must’ve been Harms. Love peer but he was nothing better than above average defensively

not sure if its been posted or not....but Ryan James tweeted that PG Antwan Kimmons from Tarten has been released from the pledge to Idaho State. not rated by 247. anybody have any info on him?

not sure if its been posted or not....but Ryan James tweeted that PG Antwan Kimmons from Tarten has been released from the pledge to Idaho State. not rated by 247. anybody have any info on him?

Kimmons is a nice guard. Good defender, not sure the combo of his lack of size and lack of outside shot make him a B10 guard.

If we get Sherfield we will be set! Why won't he commit already?

This backcourt is amazing:

PG: Carr/Willis
SG: Coffey/Sherfield
SF: Kalscheur/Williams

I think the jury is still out on Willis. Not so sure he is going to play much next year. we shall see

Kimmons is a nice guard. Good defender, not sure the combo of his lack of size and lack of outside shot make him a B10 guard.
They could do a lot worse if looking for another true point guard.

I think the jury is still out on Willis. Not so sure he is going to play much next year. we shall see

Pitino has made several nice comments about Willis, including him being a good shooter. The only reference I have is the scrimmage to start this season. He completely blended into the background and was barely noticeable. Nothing really stood out. He seemed like the guy that received a pass and immediately just looked for the next guy to pass to. Carr on the other hand made plays and looked like he was THE guy on the floor you need to account for at all times. That was just one short view. I’m hopeful that we will all be pleasantly surprised by Wllis next year based on coaches comments.

Pitino has made several nice comments about Willis, including him being a good shooter. The only reference I have is the scrimmage to start this season. He completely blended into the background and was barely noticeable. Nothing really stood out. He seemed like the guy that received a pass and immediately just looked for the next guy to pass to. Carr on the other hand made plays and looked like he was THE guy on the floor you need to account for at all times. That was just one short view. I’m hopeful that we will all be pleasantly surprised by Wllis next year based on coaches comments.

Taken with a huge grain of salt. He's said that about others before.

My hope is that can average right around 5 PPG, 1 three point make a game at a 35-38% clip and be an ok defender and secondary ball handler. I'd be content if he was a Matz Stockman caliber backup but at guard. He doesn't need to be Akeem Springs or even Malik Smith but he needs to give us more than Still and Hurt did.

Last edited:

They could do a lot worse if looking for another true point guard.

Don't disagree, I like the kid. Seems likes a hard worker and good citizen, plus he got a lot better from his Jr to Sr year. He will just have some limitations because of those two things. That being said if he's a willing bench guy who's a good teammate, could do a lot worse.

I was at that scrimmage as well. Carr, was by far the best player on the floor that day.

My hope is that can average right around 5 PPG, 1 three point make a game at a 35-38% clip and be an ok defender and secondary ball handler. I'd be content if he was a Matz Stockman caliber backup but at guard. He doesn't need to be Akeem Springs or even Malik Smith but he needs to give us more than Still and Hurt did.

That should not be hard. He has already done that at Vandy for two years.

That should not be hard. He has already done that at Vandy for two years.

Yep, I wasn't big on taking Willis thinking he'd be our starting SG after Dupree and Stull graduate but with the emergence of Gabe, I think Willis can be a solid backup for us.

The Austin Crowley 247 page has MN and Ole Miss as the two warm schools, with Ole Miss coaches visiting him on Mar 29

The Austin Crowley 247 page has MN and Ole Miss as the two warm schools, with Ole Miss coaches visiting him on Mar 29

I can't recall, did he already take an official here? Or did he commit to Vandy before that visit?

I can't recall, did he already take an official here? Or did he commit to Vandy before that visit?

if I remember correctly he visited Vandy on 1 weekend and was scheduled to visit the gophers the following weekend but he commited during the week in between

Let's hope maybe there is some draw for Crowley and Sherfield to want to play together in college.

I would 100% take this guy. And if I had to choose between he and sherfield I would take Crowley. (would also take both of them) but if I had the choice it would be Crowley
im good with Carr/Coffey/Willis getting the run at the "PG" postion
Crowley would give us depth at the wing for this upcoming season and a guy to count on once Coffey is gone the following year

I would 100% take this guy. And if I had to choose between he and sherfield I would take Crowley. (would also take both of them) but if I had the choice it would be Crowley
im good with Carr/Coffey/Willis getting the run at the "PG" postion
Crowley would give us depth at the wing for this upcoming season and a guy to count on once Coffey is gone the following year

If Crowley could be Austin Hollins clone, id take that

If Crowley could be Austin Hollins clone, id take that

I was very impressed by Crowley’s video. He would be #1 on my wish list, just ahead of Sherfield. Getting both would be fantastic. You can’t have too many 6’6” skilled and athletic guys on a roster.

I was very impressed by Crowley’s video. He would be #1 on my wish list, just ahead of Sherfield. Getting both would be fantastic. You can’t have too many 6’6” skilled and athletic guys on a roster.

Lol I know I am partially crazy because I got a little worried for a second thinking that if we got Sherfield and Crowley we're going to be really crowded in the backcourt/wing next season. Might see some disgruntled players as we would have 7 guys vying for 120 minutes

Last edited:

Lol I know I am partially crazy because I got a little worried for a second thinking that if we got Sherfield and Crowley were are going to be really crowded in the backcourt/wing next season. Might see some disgruntled players as we would have 7 guys vying for 120 minutes

Good problem to have!

Yep, I wasn't big on taking Willis thinking he'd be our starting SG after Dupree and Stull graduate but with the emergence of Gabe, I think Willis can be a solid backup for us.

If he was soo far down on the depth chart, he would know it by now and would have left.

Top Bottom