All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I wonder if the departure of Washington affects Sherfield's decision in anyway. With Isaiah gone, Pitino gets a second chance at finding a point combo guard he trusts. Sherfield could be Mason 2.0

I feel like Pitino was either recruiting Sherfield knowing IW would be gone or IW knows Sherfield is coming here and sees the writing on the wall

I feel like Pitino was either recruiting Sherfield knowing IW would be gone or IW knows Sherfield is coming here and sees the writing on the wall

If we get Sherfield we will be set! Why won't he commit already?

This backcourt is amazing:

PG: Carr/Willis
SG: Coffey/Sherfield
SF: Kalscheur/Williams

I agree with what you're saying, but I think you have Willis and Sherfield in the wrong spots. Sherfield is a 6-2 combo guard. Willis is 6-4 and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that he would be primarily PG

I know spring recruiting is a little different, but this has me worried. Usually the longer they wait, the less likely of a commitment.

I agree with what you're saying, but I think you have Willis and Sherfield in the wrong spots. Sherfield is a 6-2 combo guard. Willis is 6-4 and I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere that he would be primarily PG

Willis was the primary point guard at Vanderbilt. I know he was recruited out of high school as a combo guard like Sherfield and even Carr for that matter, but Vanderbilt/Tennessee media always referred to Willis as a point guard.

I think Pitino would prefer to have both guards positions be primary ball handlers. That's why I have Coffey at SG as opposed to SF... Either way, Carr, Willis, Coffey, and Sherfield should be more than enough to hold down the 1 and the 2 spots for Minnesota

Willis was the primary point guard at Vanderbilt. I know he was recruited out of high school as a combo guard like Sherfield and even Carr for that matter, but Vanderbilt/Tennessee media always referred to Willis as a point guard.

I think Pitino would prefer to have both guards positions be primary ball handlers. That's why I have Coffey at SG as opposed to SF... Either way, Carr, Willis, Coffey, and Sherfield should be more than enough to hold down the 1 and the 2 spots for Minnesota

Good to know

Good to know

I do think Willis was brought in to replace McBrayer though. Carr seems like someone who was brought in to replace Mason (I think the Gophers thought Carr would be eligible right away). Hopefully Sherfield can come in and replace Isaiah Washington and make our backcourt elite

The back court rotation will be interesting. Coffey is so versatile and has the capacity to play 40 minutes a game you could have a lineup of Carr, Kalscheur, Coffey, Oturu, and another big. Then give Carr a break and bring in Willis or Tre and have Coffey run the point for a few minutes. Unlike last year we will have the ability to spread the flood for Coffey and Dan to run pick and roll. Lastly I am not opposed to going small if we fail to find a decent forward with something like Carr, Gabe, (Tre Willis Crowley Sherfield) , Coffey, and Dan

Reports were that he wanted to commit during his visit, but his people wanted him to take all of his visits first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

New offer this weekend.

Jonathan
Davis
Shooting guard
6'5''
180 lbs
CLASS OF 2020

Love his game. Off the charts defender, high game IQ. Badgers in on him a long time, ACC schools thinking about it. Jeter kind of player. Very interesting.

Love his game. Off the charts defender, high game IQ. Badgers in on him a long time, ACC schools thinking about it. Jeter kind of player. Very interesting.

I am so excited to see Jeter and Linsteds effect on the guys we get. Kimanis guys never defend worth anything and mostly transferred out or underachieved

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm fine with Freeman if we can also get an immediate impact grad transfer big that can start at PF.

We currently don't have a single backup center on the roster and Freeman at least fills that need. He's better than nothing.

You were in the same thread I was across the street I think (?), where it was pointed out that he's actually listed at 6'10" 225lbs now, we've been on him for a year & Buzz Williams (who's a good judge of talent) also likes him. Feeling better about him as contributor down the road.

Like you, my concerns are a starting PF & a back-up C. Curry's not a banger type of PF, even when healthy & I wouldn't want to base our season on him starting every game next season. Omersa's worth a handful of minutes every night, but he's not ready for prime time. We need two transfers/Jucos imo, who could come in and be the immediate starter at PF & the back-up C. Let Freeman ease in. Same with Tre Williams. With Coffey, Willis & Gabe available, no reason to rush Williams if he's not clearly better than those three.

You were in the same thread I was across the street I think (?), where it was pointed out that he's actually listed at 6'10" 225lbs now, we've been on him for a year & Buzz Williams (who's a good judge of talent) also likes him. Feeling better about him as contributor down the road.

Like you, my concerns are a starting PF & a back-up C. Curry's not a banger type of PF, even when healthy & I wouldn't want to base our season on him starting every game next season. Omersa's worth a handful of minutes every night, but he's not ready for prime time. We need two transfers/Jucos imo, who could come in and be the immediate starter at PF & the back-up C. Let Freeman ease in. Same with Tre Williams. With Coffey, Willis & Gabe available, no reason to rush Williams if he's not clearly better than those three.

I agree although with Tre, at least he's a composite top 150 player. I'd be comfortable if he gets Hurt's minutes as Amir's backup 3.

And if we miss out on Ihnen then I also wouldn't mind taking two grad transfer with one of them being a bigger backup center like the Ole Miss kid in addition to a starting caliber PF although we should be just ok with Curry and Freeman sharing that duty.

No one really plays SG, SF anymore in college hoops. Like the game has evolved, I think Pitino wants to really play four out. I think we will see a shift with Murphy graduating. He did limit what Pitino could do because he was too small to guard a big guy, so had to play three out, two in because you couldn’t really take Murphy off the floor.

Look at Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa... almost all just play one big with four perimeter players. Purdue started a Williams or Harms, three 6-5/6-6 perimeter guys, and Edwards. Michigan started one 7 footer, and four guys 6-6 and under.

Pitino could very well start four of the six names you listed and Oturo, with Curry and Omersa rotating in, sometimes playing two bigs for a shift. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so excited to see Jeter and Linsteds effect on the guys we get. Kimanis guys never defend worth anything and mostly transferred out or underachieved

McBrayer turned into an outstanding defender. He bothered Edwards more than anyone.

No one really plays SG, SF anymore in college hoops. Like the game has evolved, I think Pitino wants to really play four out. I think we will see a shift with Murphy graduating. He did limit what Pitino could do because he was too small to guard a big guy, so had to play three out, two in because you couldn’t really take Murphy off the floor.

Look at Purdue, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa... almost all just play one big with four perimeter players. Purdue started a Williams or Harms, three 6-5/6-6 perimeter guys, and Edwards. Michigan started one 7 footer, and four guys 6-6 and under.

Pitino could very well start four of the six names you listed and Oturo, with Curry and Omersa rotating in, sometimes playing two bigs for a shift. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I think if that were true, he would have played Amir at the 4 a lot more when Murphy was out. The MSU game was the only game the entire year where Amir played at least a minute there and that was just because 3 of our top 4 bigs were out.

Last edited:

He should start getting some more outside shooters if that is going to work

I think if that were true, he would have played Amir at the 4 a lot more. The MSU game was the only game the entire year where Amir played at least a minute there and that was just because 3 of our top 4 bigs were out.

We didn't have the shooters in the back court to do that and you would have to put Murphy on the bench if you want Coffey as a 4

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Supposedly took an official in January to VT. Can’t imagine he is announcing there on Thursday given the Buzz uncertainty.

I think if that were true, he would have played Amir at the 4 a lot more when Murphy was out. The MSU game was the only game the entire year where Amir played at least a minute there and that was just because 3 of our top 4 bigs were out.

Why would Amir have to “play” the 4? What does that mean? You’re not going to stick him inside in a traditional “4”. He stuck with what they had going because he rarely took Murphy out. He wasn’t going to go 4 out for a minute here and there when you rarely work on it in practice due to personnel. He played to their strengths.

I just think people get too hung up on 3, 4 and 5. That is not what most teams are doing anymore. Just look at all four teams in the Final Four. They have four players who largely play on the perimeter with one big - Virginia, Auburn, and Texas Tech.

McBrayer turned into an outstanding defender. He bothered Edwards more than anyone.

Nothing against Dupree, but you're praising the wrong guy for shutting down Edwards.

Why would Amir have to “play” the 4? What does that mean? You’re not going to stick him inside in a traditional “4”. He stuck with what they had going because he rarely took Murphy out. He wasn’t going to go 4 out for a minute here and there when you rarely work on it in practice due to personnel. He played to their strengths.

I just think people get too hung up on 3, 4 and 5. That is not what most teams are doing anymore. Just look at all four teams in the Final Four. They have four players who largely play on the perimeter with one big - Virginia, Auburn, and Texas Tech.

It means he would guard other teams 4's on defense because he is 6-8, 215. Murphy played 31 minutes a game which means he sat on the bench for 9. Maybe Pitino didn't do this because he wanted to focus on the teams strengths but he might have also not done it because he is a believer in having a traditional PF at the 4.

Last edited:

Top Bottom