All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

There are two big differences between the last time we had a bad season and this time:

1. In this case Pitino just brought on three really good local recruits who will help with their local buddies and they have a positive attitude about the program.
2. Last time the bad season was also marred by a scandal and not that many people thought the program had a chance to rebound. This time the bad season was almost 100% because of injuries and that is a lot more easy for recruits and families to understand.

I'm not saying 2019 recruiting will be easy. But it is different then a few years back.

I think the two years are more similar than you do.

Point #1: We missed out on the top 7 players in MN after signing the top 2 players in MN the previous season (Amir Coffey and Michael Hurt). I know Hurt hasn't turned out yet, but that class was also following an infusion of local talent.

Point #2: I am not sure how you can say that this season was almost 100% because of injury. Our season ended with the Reggie Lynch scandal. I completely understand the importance of the Coffey/Curry injuries, but the Reggie Lynch scandal seems like a bigger deal than the Dorsey/Mason/McBrayer stuff.

I think the two years are more similar than you do.

Point #1: We missed out on the top 7 players in MN after signing the top 2 players in MN the previous season (Amir Coffey and Michael Hurt). I know Hurt hasn't turned out yet, but that class was also following an infusion of local talent.

Point #2: I am not sure how you can say that this season was almost 100% because of injury. Our season ended with the Reggie Lynch scandal. I completely understand the importance of the Coffey/Curry injuries, but the Reggie Lynch scandal seems like a bigger deal than the Dorsey/Mason/McBrayer stuff.

Point 1: Could it be that Pitino preferred to land Washington over Wright or Davison? Entirely possible. I'd hardly call it "missing out".
Point 2: It's highly probable that the poster meant to say external factors i.e. injuries/suspensions/etc..

Point 1: Could it be that Pitino preferred to land Washington over Wright or Davison? Entirely possible. I'd hardly call it "missing out".
Point 2: It's highly probable that the poster meant to say external factors i.e. injuries/suspensions/etc..

Point #1: Absolutely. I'm just pointing out that we did not sign any of the top 7 in 2017 after signing two MN kids i n 2016. The previous poster was implying that one way the 2019 recruiting is different than the 2017 recruiting is that we are signing three MN kids in 2018. Well, we signed two MN kids in 2016, and that didn't help land any of the local recruits we wanted in 2017. But you're right, maybe Pitino preferred Washington to Wright, Harris to Davidson, etc.

Point #2: I don't think so. I could be reading it wrong. The poster seems to imply that 2018's fall off was 100% injury related, while the fall off in 2016 was more of a scandal. I disagree, both the 2016 and 2018 season's were derailed, largely, due to scandal. The 2018 season also had some injuries, but things changed after the scandal.

Point #1: Absolutely. I'm just pointing out that we did not sign any of the top 7 in 2017 after signing two MN kids i n 2016. The previous poster was implying that one way the 2019 recruiting is different than the 2017 recruiting is that we are signing three MN kids in 2018. Well, we signed two MN kids in 2016, and that didn't help land any of the local recruits we wanted in 2017. But you're right, maybe Pitino preferred Washington to Wright, Harris to Davidson, etc.

Point #2: I don't think so. I could be reading it wrong. The poster seems to imply that 2018's fall off was 100% injury related, while the fall off in 2016 was more of a scandal. I disagree, both the 2016 and 2018 season's were derailed, largely, due to scandal. The 2018 season also had some injuries, but things changed after the scandal.

I think Pitino completely missed on the 2017 class, there were four Minnesota kids that I think would have been better than Washington or Harris.

UW just extended Gard today. Alvarez loves Gard.
And Wisconsin offers Tyler Wahl.... who I said Pitino should have offered. Richard had a chance after watching D1 a lot this weekend.. and bleeping Gard beat him to it. The borders are wide open.. you gotta be on top of this.

I think Pitino completely missed on the 2017 class, there were four Minnesota kids that I think would have been better than Washington or Harris.

I don't think Wisconsin will get Tyrell Terry but I have a feeling Wahl and Nnaji are going to end up with the Badgers now.

And Wisconsin offers Tyler Wahl.... who I said Pitino should have offered. Richard had a chance after watching D1 a lot this weekend.. and bleeping Gard beat him to it. The borders are wide open.. you gotta be on top of this.

Let's not act like Tyler Wahl is a can't miss prospect.

Also, we got 3 of the to 4 players in Minnesota for 2018, including a top 5 center in the country. I'm not aware of any of the in-state 2019s being committed anywhere. How exactly are the borders "wide open" right now?

I don't think Wisconsin will get Tyrell Terry but I have a feeling Wahl and Nnaji are going to end up with the Badgers now.

That's what it's looking like, and that's too bad. Am I seeing this wrong if I see history repeating - Pitino chasing flashy out-of-state recruits while he's got considerable talent here sneaking away under his nose?

The fact Richard has not offered Tyler Wahl is insane. He can play about every position on the floor, shoot, handle and D. He is a poor mans Hurt, get him. I'm about done with Pitino.

The fact Richard has not offered Tyler Wahl is insane. He can play about every position on the floor, shoot, handle and D. He is a poor mans Hurt, get him. I'm about done with Pitino.

If Wahl is a poor mans Hurt, why would we want him, when most everyone thinks Hurt should be playing in DIII?

If Wahl is a poor mans Hurt, why would we want him, when most everyone thinks Hurt should be playing in DIII?

I wondered that too, but I’m assuming he means Matthew Hurt.

People are freaking out because we haven’t offered Tyler Wahl?? The board has become certifiably insane when it comes to Minnesota prospects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People are freaking out because we haven’t offered Tyler Wahl?? The board has become certifiably insane when it comes to Minnesota prospects.

I think Wisconsin's history with MN kids justifies the thought that if they offer someone, we probably should as well.

Correct, lets hold our horses here. Pitino doesn't offer kids early, it's ok. Kids just need to know you are there following them from day one. Also we have new staff that will need to acclimate themselves. Also he's far from a can't miss yet. I like him and hope we offer and that he has interest in being at the U, but to call for heads over a 3 star kid just because of where he is from is ridiculous.

I think Wisconsin's history with MN kids justifies the thought that if they offer someone, we probably should as well.

I don’t think this history is as grand as you make it out to be, especially with Gard.

I'm talking about Matthew Hurt, I think Wahl did a really nice job defending him in the section finals. I'm not freaking out it's a trend on how we miss out on guys, Davidson is a classic example.

I'm talking about Matthew Hurt, I think Wahl did a really nice job defending him in the section finals. I'm not freaking out it's a trend on how we miss out on guys, Davidson is a classic example.

Personally I don't see Davison as a must-have player. Who else are you talking about who recently left MN to make a splash in WI? The tall skinny kid will probably be a solid player for WI when all is said and done; Ilikainen from Grand Rapids did not pan out; another MN kid transferred (I forget the name).

At a high school level perhaps he can play every position. At the college level he will play either the 2 or 3. If he's playing any other position, then something has gone seriously wrong at Wisconsin.

The timing of the offer matters, but it isn't everything and is not make or break. Also not all offers are commitable as well. Wisconsin has done well recruiting out of here, but they pull a specific player that MN produces a lot of. We have not had a coach who really recruits that style. You can argue that we should recruit what we create, but then maybe we miss on the Jarvis Os and Oturo's of the world? It's not always black and white. Also have you been to Madison? I love the U, but Madison is a better atmosphere and fits what a lot of suburban MN kids would like.

Wahl is a very solid foward with some perimeter skills. He would have trouble defending at the next level. He absolutely cannot guard a college 2, and some 3's would be hard. He won't have enough muscle to defend a 4 until his JR year I imagine. Offensively he is talented. Kind of kid who waits his turn at Wisconsin that is either a surprise or a bust by his JR year.

By the way 247 has him listed as a 6-5 185lb pf. I believe he is listed as 6-7 this year?

This picture on D1 is hard to tell how tall people really all as the curl shape makes those farther back look smaller.
https://www.d1mnbasketball.com/page/show/4045433-17u-2018-adidas-gold-gauntlet-

Hurt, Nnaji, and Robert Jones all appear 6-9/6-10. If Terry is 6-2, none of Battle, McCaffrey, or Wahl look bigger than 6-4? Wierd. Maybe Terry is 6-4? lol

At a high school level perhaps he can play every position. At the college level he will play either the 2 or 3. If he's playing any other position, then something has gone seriously wrong at Wisconsin.

And reasonable people would counter with Kam Taylor, Jordan Taylor, Mike Bruesewitz, Jon Leuer, now Davison and Reuvers, etc etc.

Don't really think Bruesewitz should be mentioned with the other 5. Perhaps Jared Berggren, but not Bruesewitz.

And reasonable people would counter with Kam Taylor, Jordan Taylor, Mike Bruesewitz, Jon Leuer, now Davison and Reuvers, etc etc.

You can take Mike Bruesewitz off your list. In his best year he averaged 6.4 points. A lot of people reference his three point shooting when making an argument that he was a good player, yet he shot 28.3% from 3 as a senior. He was mediocre at best, and despite the fact that Rodney didn't reach his potential, you're basically saying Bruesewitz was better than him since we kinda had to choose between the two. Bottom line is Wisconsin offering doesn't automatically mean we should too, especially since we play difference styles.

Don't really think Bruesewitz should be mentioned with the other 5. Perhaps Jared Berggren, but not Bruesewitz.

Yeah, I don't understand why some people remember Bruesewitz as some great player. Very confusing. He wasn't terrible, but I'd take Rodney over him 10 times out of 10.

Agree about the Madison comment. Crap-ton of moderately entitled (obnoxious) suburban MSP (and Chicago) kids in Madison getting a good education and $hit-faced at the Terrace. Combined with all the rich Chinese HS students that matriculate at UW, it has become an interesting Bourgeois playground.

Tyler Wahl, to me, is not a must offer in-state guy. Wisconsin offering him doesn't change that.

Agree about the Madison comment. Crap-ton of moderately entitled (obnoxious) suburban MSP (and Chicago) kids in Madison getting a good education and $hit-faced at the Terrace. Combined with all the rich Chinese HS students that matriculate at UW, it has become an interesting Bourgeois playground.

Have you been to Dinkytown lately?

Have you been to Dinkytown lately?

I suppose some similarities but Madison takes it to a different level. OOS students paying 50 K to do it Madison-style.
None of this matters whatsoever, of course. Just want Gophers backhand the Badgers on the court next year and the year after that and...

Top Bottom