All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Hurt stopped short of naming a final list of schools, but conceded that the schools he’s “mainly focusing on” are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas.

He is going to a super blue blood and not the gophers.

Hurt stopped short of naming a final list of schools, but conceded that the schools he’s “mainly focusing on” are Duke, North Carolina, Kentucky and Kansas.

He is going to a super blue blood and not the gophers.

I think Memphis will float the most cash in the end haha, agree he is not coming here though.

Count me in the group that will be happy to see the end of this recruitment. Hundreds of pages of Hurt speculation/innuendo/consternation with a pretty likely outcome for a top 10 kid.

By the way, if the Gophers had indeed pulled off the recruiting coup and got him to stay home and spurn the blue bloods....no guarantee of success. (see Romeo Langford)

For those who have seen Battle (caution major speculation mode), is he B1G ready physically? Is he big enough and strong enough to be an effective rebounder against B1G power forwards? I'm typically not one to believe freshmen can be big contributors right away, but I was pleasantly surprised by Gabe and Daniel this year, although Daniel got knocked around a lot. For me Battle is the most intriguing prospect we are speculating about since the reports are that he can shoot, and he fills a major need. He has good reason to walk away from George Washington if he wants to, and if he chooses, he seems like a realistic recruit.

Count me in the group that will be happy to see the end of this recruitment. Hundreds of pages of Hurt speculation/innuendo/consternation with a pretty likely outcome for a top 10 kid.

By the way, if the Gophers had indeed pulled off the recruiting coup and got him to stay home and spurn the blue bloods....no guarantee of success. (see Romeo Langford)

Exactly. Fine for the blue bloods because they can reload with another one and done, we can not do that and end up having to fill a giant hole. Not sustainable.

For those who have seen Battle (caution major speculation mode), is he B1G ready physically? Is he big enough and strong enough to be an effective rebounder against B1G power forwards? I'm typically not one to believe freshmen can be big contributors right away, but I was pleasantly surprised by Gabe and Daniel this year, although Daniel got knocked around a lot. For me Battle is the most intriguing prospect we are speculating about since the reports are that he can shoot, and he fills a major need. He has good reason to walk away from George Washington if he wants to, and if he chooses, he seems like a realistic recruit.

He's pretty solidly built but he's not a great rebounder. He's gotten better at playing inside in the last year or so but I view him as more of a 3 that can play the 4 in a pinch.

Hurt to MN has been dead for awhile guys. The staff quit recruiting him a couple months ago. Duke or UNC are the heavy favorites there. As for Battle he'd be an asset offensively but im not sure who hed guard, hes not strong enough to guard 4s and hes not quick enough to guard wings. I wouldnt be against him becoming a Gopher but id be pretty surprised if it happened.

Bottom line is Hurt would make us a top 20 program as long as Coffey comes back. Crowley and Sherfield would be icing if he comes. We would ideally need a immediate eligible big for depth but the following lineup would be awesome:

PG: Carr/IW/Coffey
SG: Kalsheur/Williams/Sherfield/Vandy transfer Peyton?
SF: Coffey/Crowley/Hurt
PF: Hurt/Omersa
C: Oturu/ unknown big

Bottom line is Hurt would make us a top 20 program as long as Coffey comes back. Crowley and Sherfield would be icing if he comes. We would ideally need a immediate eligible big for depth but the following lineup would be awesome:

PG: Carr/IW/Coffey
SG: Kalsheur/Williams/Sherfield/Vandy transfer Peyton?
SF: Coffey/Crowley/Hurt
PF: Hurt/Omersa
C: Oturu/ unknown big

We can play this game all we want, but Hurt is not considering us.

Go Gophers!!

I predict he goes all Jessie Ventura and "Shocks the World" with a Gopher announcement!

Wouldn't that be different.

I think people are forgetting that Peyton Willis when we are talking next year...idk how good he will be, I know very little about him, but I'd expect him to play 15 minutes unless Hurt or Tre Williams are going to steal his minutes

I think people are forgetting that Peyton Willis when we are talking next year...idk how good he will be, I know very little about him, but I'd expect him to play 15 minutes unless Hurt or Tre Williams are going to steal his minutes

He wasn't that good for Vandy, but we'll see. I don't expect much from him

He wasn't that good for Vandy, but we'll see. I don't expect much from him

I don't expect a crazy amount from him either but I think its silly to not expect him to play. Who is our 2 guard other than Gabe?

Last edited:

I don't expect a crazy amount from him either but I think its silly to not expect him to play. Who is our 2 guard other than Gabe?

If he chips in 10mpg and occasional bench point, I'll be ok with him

Williams (incoming freshman) is a 2 guard and can hopefully contribute as a freshman

Payton Willis is a combo guard, bet I do agree that Williams looks like he can be a bench contributer right away.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Sounds like Isaiah Ihnen will be visiting in April!

Hopefully he will commit!

Another area that i like about Pitino is that they are really moving with the game in wanting combo guards. All teams want guards that for the most part can play two positions on both ends. There will be exceptions to those that initiate the offense, are quick enough etc.. He knows that most of the best teams have to be able to play 4 out.

Hurt himself doesn't count out Minnesota or Memphis in this Josh Gershon article, posted yesterday:

https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Article/Matthew-Hurt-recruiting-update-at-McDonalds-All-American-practice-Duke-Kansas-Kentucky-North-Carolina-Memphis-Minnesota-130522573/

I'm personally not willing to eliminate him from choosing the Gophers until Michael makes it official that he's graduating early and leaving. It's pretty clear the brothers want 1 season to play together. The chance is slim, but there's still a chance. In the article, Matthew says he's got no other official visits planned, including not traveling to Memphis, which I find interesting. To quote Kevin Garnet, "Anything is possible."

Would be a hell of a birthday gift for he and his family if he shocks everybody and decides to stay home. Not holding my breath though.

Sounds like Isaiah Ihnen will be visiting in April!

Hopefully he will commit!

Yeah, Rivals has an update on recruits, but I'm too cheap to subscribe and patient enough to not get inside scoops

If he chips in 10mpg and occasional bench point, I'll be ok with him

Williams (incoming freshman) is a 2 guard and can hopefully contribute as a freshman

I know Williams is a 2 guard, my point was that we have a freshman who hasn't played college ball and Gabe who is quite good, although we need someone to eat a few minutes at the 3.

Oturu
Hurt
Coffey
Gabe
Carr

That's a borderline Big10 champ team with Hurt, Curry, Omersa, Willis, IW on the bench.

Oturu
Hurt
Coffey
Gabe
Carr

That's a borderline Big10 champ team with Hurt, Curry, Omersa, Willis, IW on the bench.

And hopefully Shefield or Crowley (dont have my hopes up for him, just putting 2+2 together)

I know Williams is a 2 guard, my point was that we have a freshman who hasn't played college ball and Gabe who is quite good, although we need someone to eat a few minutes at the 3.

I think people need to really get off this idea of only a 1 or a 2 guard. Basketball offenses aren't ran like they used to be. We also look to push the ball which means it doesn't just have to be our PG that goes. Multiple guards who can handle is what most teams attempt to do. Carolina has done this for years, Duke will do it, Sparty will even do it and they all have great PGs (althought Carolina's this year was never a PG until he got to Carolina). Basketball at all levels is becoming more and more positionless.

I think people need to really get off this idea of only a 1 or a 2 guard. Basketball offenses aren't ran like they used to be. We also look to push the ball which means it doesn't just have to be our PG that goes. Multiple guards who can handle is what most teams attempt to do. Carolina has done this for years, Duke will do it, Sparty will even do it and they all have great PGs (althought Carolina's this year was never a PG until he got to Carolina). Basketball at all levels is becoming more and more positionless.

I said in the post although we need someone to eat a few minutes at the 3....which I was referring to Willis doing after I called him a guard (my bad that wasn't that clear). I don't think everyone is intending to say they can only play 1 position. Its like saying Tyler Boyd that plays for the Bengals is a Receiver and then you going "well you shouldn't call him that because he lines up in the slot sometimes."

In Carr we have a guy who had a freshman season at Pitt that is fairly similar to the freshman season of Nate Mason. He played almost 30 minutes per game.
Willis numbers were about half of Carr's but he started a bunch of games for Vandy as a freshman when they went 10-8 in the SEC- so not bad. Both are 33% 3 point shooters - not great but not bad either. Williams...who knows? Nobody thought Gabe was going to start for the Gophers and do what he did. So Williams could be anything from a little used guy to perhaps a lot more. From what I can see on the videos, he defends is athletic and has good shooting form. He has the ability to make a play, find his own shot if needed. This is a nice group of incoming guards.

Alright, my overall thoughts on the roster situation, where we go from here this spring and this summer. Apologies, this is long-winded and potentially hard to follow.

To start off, I think we’re finally in a spot where we can really start to truly speculate on the plans now that it appears Pitino and staff are safe (and will probably be extended for recruiting purposes). It was pointless to delve into recruiting too much throughout the season as so much was going to depend on what happened with the coaching situation. Now that we (seem) to know that, we can really have an intelligent discussion.

A few quick notes to start:
-We currently have AT LEAST 3 open scholarships. I would be shocked if it stays that way. There will be another departure.
-People mention banking a scholarship quite frequently and I strongly disagree, there is zero point to doing that in this day in age with the emergence of grad transfers. You fill your scholarships and they open up again next year. It may not even be a good grad transfer but there is absolutely no point to keeping spots open, they will find a way to have 3-4 spots open for 2020 regardless.

Thoughts on some of our most likely departures (I’d be shocked if anyone outside this list was to leave, barring any coaching changes and a free chance to leave):
-Isaiah: I don’t mind him being back but I also would be surprised if he was, despite his comments. I just think this isn’t really working out for either side. If he’s gone, it’s an open scholarship, some of how to use that scholarship depends on what happens with Amir to be honest. So let’s move on to him…
-Amir: if he’s gone, you have to look the grad transfer route and honestly, I look for best guard available, not necessarily the best SF/3 man available. Not ideal but Carr can play the 2 and Gabe the 3 if there was a stud impact PG wanting in for this scenario. Same goes for if there’s some high impact SG coming in, Carr can be the PG, Gabe could play the SF role in the modern college game. We could play with that lineup for a bunch of scenarios, the main point is I wouldn’t get locked into having to have a true SF/6
6” wing type (though that would obviously be the ideal case if this scenario were to happen). If Coffey is back, it actually may not be the worst year to look into the sit out transfers for wings (if they are a certain level of player) but that’s a story for another day.
-Hurt: It’s just another spot open. I’m skeptical that he actually does move on as I don’t see the attraction for him to go walk-on and sit on the bench with his brother, even if he isn’t going to play much here. Wouldn’t mind him coming back, though not expecting any production either.
-Curry: I know this is a bit panicky, the sky is falling type mindset but personal opinion, no inside info: I’d watch Curry closely this offseason too, I think the staff should have a plan in place in case he decides to hang it up due to injuries. If he’s gone, it becomes another spot open and you go best player available.

From there, I think most would agree, we absolutely need an immediate impact grad transfer big (specifically a 4 man, though if there’s some super talented 5 that wants in, you don’t say no and you make it work). As far as the type of 4 man we’re looking for, some want another Murph/Mbakwe bruiser type, some want more of a pick and pop Joey King type. For me, either or is probably fine and you don’t get too picky. There’s pros and cons to each, to me you don’t overly complicate things, you just take the best one you can get and make it work.

The mention of Sims or Nikko transferring home is interesting and I wouldn’t be opposed to either as they’d fill a depth piece need. Sims I think is better (though I think many on here think he’s better than he actually is, I wouldn’t bank on him being anything more than a big off the bench) but the only way I take him is if I am 100% sure he can be immediately eligible, he serves us no purpose from not only a production standpoing but a roster management one as well if he has to sit out. I’m not a huge Nikko fan but we know he’d be immediately eligible, he knows what his role is, and he’s a 1 year depth piece that is for sure going to be able to play and that scholarship is open again next year.

As far as HS recruiting goes, Sherfield and Crowley are the only names that interest me at this point (moreso the first than the latter only cause Tre Williams and Crowley tend to fill the same need in my book despite having a bit different skillsets). We’ll see what happens in the coaching carousel as well and if there are other kids looking to get out of LOIs. I’m not overly thrilled with the idea of either of the European prospects we seem to be linked to or Battle as they all are projects, though in different ways, and just my personal philosophy on avoiding long-term project HS adds in the spring. You could talk me into one of them though if we have more than 3 spots open and with some other things in the roster shaping out the right way.

Long story short for those who are in the too long, didn't read camp:
-At least 3 spots open, but I’d expect having 4 if not 5 spots.
-Need an immediate and high impact grad transfer big.
-Frontcourt has some serious questions that need to be addressed. I’m 100% in the camp that guards win you games in college basketball but we can’t enter next year without some answers and a big talent influx
-A Coffey departure creates some intrigue in the grad transfer guard/wing search, any other departure from the names listed before and it tends to fall into just going the BPA route.
-Please don’t reach at marginal HS prospects.
-Having this many spots open is both a great opportunity and also terrifying.

The mention of Sims or Nikko transferring home is interesting and I wouldn’t be opposed to either as they’d fill a depth piece need. Sims I think is better (though I think many on here think he’s better than he actually is, I wouldn’t bank on him being anything more than a big off the bench) but the only way I take him is if I am 100% sure he can be immediately eligible, he serves us no purpose from not only a production standpoing but a roster management one as well if he has to sit out. I’m not a huge Nikko fan but we know he’d be immediately eligible, he knows what his role is, and he’s a 1 year depth piece that is for sure going to be able to play and that scholarship is open again next year.

Has Reed Nikko graduated? He's only been at Missouri for 3 years. I don't think we know that he'd be immediately eligible unless I've missed something.

Top Bottom