All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I think UMKC shows what can happen if a program fires their coach now that the expectation is players could transfer and be immediately eligible. If a coach gets fired, most the players could tell the school to enter their names in the transfer portal. The players can decide later to stay at the school if they like the new coach.

In a typical past year there are 700 to 800 transfers. We may see a lot more than that in this and future years.

good for coaches. Might be less likely to get fired, because it could really set the program back

Umm, UMKC transfers on a B1G recruiting thread. Is UMKC the University of Missouri Kansas City? Are we going to start tracking who's leaving the University of Minnesota Duluth soon?

Very few transfers can play in the B1G.

However, there is a 4* freshman leaving USC but he only played in 8 games.

Umm, UMKC transfers on a B1G recruiting thread. Is UMKC the University of Missouri Kansas City? Are we going to start tracking who's leaving the University of Minnesota Duluth soon

More around what may be the new normal in spring recruiting

I am a bit surprised more from Texas A&M and UNLV aren’t on the transfer list.

He sounds like a real good player, We have room to let him sit a year. I found a link talking about him on the La Tech board:

Re: Anthony Duruji
When Tech lost to LSU back in Nov, I quickly identified Duruji as the best athlete on the floor.....for either side. He played 37 minutes and scored 22 points and grabbed 9 rebounds. But Tech had no inside game that night, and was badly outscored in the paint (44-22). Oliver Powell played 32m min and only scored 5 points. There should be a law against that.

Whatever his reason for considering a transfer, it's not for a lack of playing time at LA Tech. Duruji averaged 30 minutes of playing time per game this season. He'll have a hard time going somewhere else and getting that.

I hope he DOESN'T transfer. Konkol desperately needs to keep talent like Duruji.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it was speculated earlier, but for what it's worth, Kobe Brown has indeed to decided to reopen his recruitment after Billy Kennedy was let go at Texas A&M.

I think it was speculated earlier, but for what it's worth, Kobe Brown has indeed to decided to reopen his recruitment after Billy Kennedy was let go at Texas A&M.

Kobe would be an immediate starter I would think.

Another name to keep an eye on with Bryce Drew being fired is Austin Crowley from Sunrise. I know the Gophers were actively recruiting him when he committed to Vanderbilt. I believe he was going to take a visit, but committed to Vandy before visiting.

Crowley and Kobe would both be great gets. I know we already have a 2/3 committed in Tre Williams but I'd take Crowley or Sherfield as both seem solid. I think we may have up to 5 schollies so maybe a transfer big, a big, 1/2 guard, 2/3 guard, and the last could be anything imo if we would use it.

Another name to keep an eye on with Bryce Drew being fired is Austin Crowley from Sunrise. I know the Gophers were actively recruiting him when he committed to Vanderbilt. I believe he was going to take a visit, but committed to Vandy before visiting.

i'd be on board with it. Need guards in the fold.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hard to say with how many scholarships they have open

Sy chatman is 6'5 pf that played like 13 minutes a game and averaged 3 pts a game for a terrible UMASS team. He's not a big ten player nor will he ever be. Not sure why his name would ever be brought up on here.

Surprised we haven’t offered someone like Kenyon Martin Jr. he is being recruited by his dad’s Alma mater Cincinnati, so he is obviously open to the Midwest.. schools like Georgetown and Pitt are also pursuing him. He’s a 6’6 PF, sounds familiar? He’s also one of the highest ranked PFs that hasn’t committed anywhere

Why not just announce. Drama king.

I would guess his decision can't be official until he knows for sure the guys in the class before him have signed with an agent and are gone. That means after the season and sorting out what the other guys are going to do. You call him drama, but as near as I can tell from a long way away, the kid and his family have been anything but drama. They seem to stay out of the limelight in the recruiting world that I have access to. When you're a top ten player in the country, you don't have to advertise, though.

Crowley's final 3 were Vandy, Minnesota and Missouri if I remember correctly. So I guess us and the Tigers would seem to benefit the most.

He could be a potential replacement for Coffey at 6'6".

Crowley would be a huge get.

I'm warming up to spring recruiting possibilities

If we can add sherfield or crowley that'll be a nice

Getting transfer big or juco big to me seems imperative

Maybe Pitino? we are/were on his list and we seem to be his best offer remaining

The vultures out there will be all over both Crowley and Brown. You can bet on it. High quality players available in the spring have lots of opportunities. The biggest challenge will be sorting them out in a short time. Hopefully, that we have already recruited them gives us a bit of a head start.

Crowley's final 3 were Vandy, Minnesota and Missouri if I remember correctly. So I guess us and the Tigers would seem to benefit the most.

He could be a potential replacement for Coffey at 6'6".

according to 247 it was ole miss and not missouri

I was looking at the commitment list of Alabama, Vandy and Cal since they all fired their coaches. Vandy and Cal both have top 150 PF/C commits that I think would be better than Freeman, Skogman or any other HS big we are pursuing.

Dylan Disu committed to Vandy

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-disu-46054535/

DJ Thorpe committed to Cal

https://247sports.com/player/d-j-thorpe-46046623/

Both from Texas as is Freeman. It doesn't look like they have asked for their release yet but I suppose something to keep an eye on. Was surprised to see Bama has 3 top 100 composite commits but none were big men.

If we could somehow manage to land Grant Sherfield, Austin Crowley and a C/F transfer that can play right away, that would be a heck of a class for Pitino considering how slow recruiting started out. I've been watching more of Tre Williams' tapes and he's going to see plenty of playing time right away IMO. He and Kalscheur will make our perimeter defending something other teams will need to worry about. I was also extremely impressed with Jamison Battle after watching him for the first time in the State Tourney. Good size, decent athlete and pure money from the corners. I'm hoping the rumors are true that he might be re-opening his recruitment because there's a place for him on this roster to contribute right away.

I was looking at the commitment list of Alabama, Vandy and Cal since they all fired their coaches. Vandy and Cal both have top 150 PF/C commits that I think would be better than Freeman, Skogman or any other HS big we are pursuing.

Dylan Disu committed to Vandy

https://247sports.com/player/dylan-disu-46054535/

DJ Thorpe committed to Cal

https://247sports.com/player/d-j-thorpe-46046623/

Both from Texas as is Freeman. It doesn't look like they have asked for their release yet but I suppose something to keep an eye on. Was surprised to see Bama has 3 top 100 composite commits but none were big men.

Skogman just picked up a crystal ball to TTech

Austin Crowley would be huge, I think were in the top 3. He is a 4 star wing, along with Sherfield and Freeman or Skogman

Hurt set his decision date for April 19th.

Is Hurt to Minnesota dead?

anyone hear the sports huddle yesterday?

Ken Novak, coach of Hopkins, was on talking the state championship.

Go to the 7 minute mark and listen for a minute or so. He mentions talking to Hurts dad. He says hopefully we have a shot at him. Maybe it's nothing.

https://wccoradio.radio.com/media/audio-channel/3-24-19-sports-huddle-11am-0

Hell, the whole hour is a good listen. Richard Coffey comes on later.

Last edited:

Yes, Hurt listed his final 4 as Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas. We have been out for a LONG time.

I will say this is a fun time of year, with 10,000 kids transferring always feels like we have a shot to pickup someone good! (even if we don't) It is really turning into pro sports free agency light.

Top Bottom