All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Carton's visiting pretty soon. Wisconsin's been on him for awhile and there's the obvious appeal in playing for the home state school for him. It seems like the Gophers are kind of on the outside looking in with his recruitment but taking a visit here is a positive sign.

I don't know about that one. I felt David Roddy was by far the best 2019 Howard Pulley player in the games I watched and was arguably better than Jarvis Thomas too. After him, I felt like Courtney Brown of EastRidge and Sy Chatmann of CDH were also arguably slightly better than Nnaji. Those guys weren't very consistent but at least showed a few flashes of potential every now and then. Never once saw a "wow" moment out of Nnaji nor consistent production.

I don't know about that one. I felt David Roddy was by far the best 2019 Howard Pulley player in the games I watched and was arguably better than Jarvis Thomas too. After him, I felt like Courtney Brown of EastRidge and Sy Chatmann of CDH were also arguably slightly better than Nnaji. Those guys weren't very consistent but at least showed a few flashes of potential every now and then. Never once saw a "wow" moment out of Nnaji nor consistent production.

Zeke will probably be a top 100 guy this time next year. He's still growing into his body so he's still putting it all together. But he's already flashing a good face up game with the ability to step out to 3 and shows a decent handle at 6'9 too. In projecting there's a lot to like in what he can become defensively with how quick footed he is for a guy his size and how lanky he is. Tough to score on trees like Curry, Oturu and Nnaji.

Roddy, Brown and Chatman are nice role players but not high major/high ceiling prospects.

Notice RJ said 2nd most potential, not the 2nd best player. There is a difference. Not agreeing or disagreeing though as I've never seen him play.

Go Gophers!!

2019 forward Zeke Nnaji (and Jalen Suggs, but he is 2020) will be at the Gopher game tomorrow, per Darren Wolfson

If Suggs and/or Hurt go elsewhere because they want to compete for conference titles and Final Four trips and don't think it can be done here, they can't be helped. This program is going places.

If Suggs and/or Hurt go elsewhere because they want to compete for conference titles and Final Four trips and don't think it can be done here, they can't be helped. This program is going places.

I actually agree with this. When Tyus, Reid Travis, etc. spurned the Gophers, they didn't know the coach, the program wasn't very good and the facilities were lacking. None of that is true now.

I'll never rip a kid for leaving but they have a lot more reasons to stay now compared to 3-5 years ago

Totally agree. Feels like we have more of a level playing field now for recruiting. Kids are always going to have their personal reasons for wanting to go somewhere else, and that’s ok. But now we have a pretty shiny product to sell, too. Exciting times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per the Rochester Post Bulletin:

The programs recruiting him the hardest are a who's who of the elite: Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, North Carolina, UCLA, Indiana and Minnesota.

The latter is of particular interest for locals because Hurt's older brother, Michael, already plays for the Gophers, and the family has been frequent visitors at Williams Arena. Richard said the Minnesota roster treats Matthew "like their little brother," and he's already established a relationship with head coach Richard Pitino, who plans to attend JM's game Tuesday at Owatonna.

While Richard Hurt said Minnesota is "probably in a better position than a lot of places" in terms of recruiting his son, Matthew also has cultivated relationships with other elite coaches, turning Rochester into a college recruiting hot spot. College selection is a fluid situation, affected by a program's success, transfers, early departures to the NBA and a host of other factors right up until the end.

"Like he told Sid Hartman on Sunday, he's going to make the best decision for himself, and I agree with that," Richard said. "This decision for him is different than Michael. Michael's dream was to play for the University of Minnesota. Matthew's dream is to play professionally and play for a long time."

http://www.postbulletin.com/sports/...cle_6d976216-2013-5513-ac47-1fc4209ccb83.html

Go Gophers!!

At the time Monson took over, UMn was ranked among the Top 20 schools ALL-TIME in producing NBA players, and it was closer to Top 10 than not being in the Top 20.

Minnesota doesn't even have to make FFs to get players into the NBA, its playing in the B1G all by itself has done that very well pre-2000.

But with things on the upswing, he could make both FFs and the NBA and legend status here in his home state!!!

I am discouraged pretty much every time I read a Richard Hurt quote. If Matthew's dream is to play professionally and play for a long time, then Minnesota is as good of place as any to do it. The last two no.1 picks were one and done's at LSU and Washington and neither even made the NCAA's. Trae Young turned down Kansas to stay at home in Oklahoma and has seen his draft stock skyrocket. Michael Porter is at Missouri (or he would have been at Washington) and will probably still be a top 5 pick despite his season ending injury presuming that he's medically cleared by NBA docs. If Matthew is a top 10 kid in his class (and I haven't read anyone who says that he isn't), he will have that professional opportunity wherever he goes.

He's not going to get lost at Minnesota, if anything he's going to have more of a guaranteed opportunity to showcase his skills ala a Markelle Fultz or Trae Young rather than have to share with (or even take a backseat to) others. Look at a guy like Skal Labissiere who was the number 2 recruit in the country and actually saw his stock go down at Kentucky or his teammate at Kentucky Isaiah Briscoe who was no. 12 in that same class who was not drafted and is now playing overseas. There are risks for top kids even with Calipari who has put the most kids in to the NBA (also has had the most top 15 kids commit to him).

I certainly won't blame Matthew (or Richard) if he ends up at Kentucky, Duke, or Kansas as they've put a lot of kids in the league and have well established successful coaches. I just think that at the end of the day, Matthew's natural gifts and level of commitment to improving in the gym will determine his professional career, not who he played college ball for.

Go Gophers!!

When is Pitino gonna stop screwing around and offer this kid? I like his game a lot and he has offers from multiple P5 schools including Iowa and Nebraska in the B10.

Good to see that Zeke is still in play for us. That kid has a ridiculous wingspan that could develop into a nightmare for anyone being guarded by him, hope he is a priority for this staff.

Tyrell Terry adds another P5 offer.

Top Bottom