All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

We cannot get every Minnesota High School Player. Pitino did a great job of rebuilding relationships with MN kids (also credit Ben Johnson). Previous guys were not giving our previous coach the time of day within the state. We need to get the best fits regardless of state and it's not fair to hold that as our measure of recruitment. Zeke would be a great fit, Wahl probably wasn't, Hurt is going to an Adidas school. Zeke leaving Pulley hurt us as Pulley sends more kids to the U that D1 does. We've had the practice facility for less than a year. Let's give it time (2 recruiting cycles) as results are not immediate.

I hope you are right, my fear is that if this season hits the crapper recruiting could become Tubby-esque.

You're overreaction and lack of understanding of how recruiting works warranted my history lesson. Also just because I don't post here on a large volume and overreact does not mean I don't follow the team very closely or have a solid understanding of what is going on. I'm fine with folks not defending him, last year was a train wreck, but also ridiculously unlucky with circumstances. Show me 1 top 25 team or even a tournament team with that type of injury/suspensions. Crandall not coming here leaves some depth issues at the point, but nothing McBrayer, Stull, and Coffey can't handle. This is not any different in other programs in our conference or other power conferences. Please tell me that you know how deep Nova was behind no Brunson at point? Our depth is fine this year, but if we have 4 starters injured/suspended (Mason was injured as well) we will lose. If we stay mostly healthy (1 starter getting injured) we will be fine. That's part of the deal.

I'd love Zeke, but if we miss, we will be ok again unless Oturo and Curry leave too. Pitino has proven he can get quality kids to come to the U. We also have immediate depth at guard next year as well with the transfers (Espicially Carr). If we are in the top 6 in the B10 this year is that good enough? What is winning? I hate when we say he needs to win? Who doesn't unless they are coming off a great year, are newly hired, or had circumstances like we did last season?
Sorry bud but you can't have the same issues Iver and over again. You know why Tubby got fired, because he kept collapsing in February. Pitino keeps plt with fire on the roster management side of things and if he goes 5-15 because in the league due to losing two three guys and Huck ****in Conroy ends up in the rotation no one is going to feel sorry for him. And yes he does need to get Zeke. Good recruiting classes kept him safe if the train goes off the rails and Pitino has a class like the ones Tubby had at the end, he will not be saved. You completely missed the point of my posts, so you can take you infrriority complex and shove it up your asshole, like all the other Muppets on this board.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nothing much positive on the recruiting front recently, hard to have any kind of confidence, he needed a PG and didn't get one, lost needed depth when Stockman left.

There were three pretty good prospects in Minnesota in the 2018 class, he didn't get one
, it looks doubtful he will get any of the top four in the 2019 class, his recruiting is iffy at best right now, have to see how it plays out but I hate going into 2018 with only 10 eligible scholarship players, they all have to contribute and any injuries will make it tough. The brand new practice facility is opening and he can't get a commit, something is wrong

There were 4 good prospects in 2018, he landed 3 of them.

He missed on EVERYONE in 2017 though. Not even 1 oflile 7 could get. All I’m saying is if he wants to stay around he better not strike out in the 19 class and have a good year this year

Sorry bud but you can't have the same issues Iver and over again. You know why Tubby got fired, because he kept collapsing in February. Pitino keeps plt with fire on the roster management side of things and if he goes 5-15 because in the league due to losing two three guys and Huck ****in Conroy ends up in the rotation no one is going to feel sorry for him. And yes he does need to get Zeke. Good recruiting classes kept him safe if the train goes off the rails and Pitino has a class like the ones Tubby had at the end, he will not be saved. You completely missed the point of my posts, so you can take you infrriority complex and shove it up your asshole, like all the other Muppets on this board.

Wow not a very nice follow up to a fellow Lumberjack. I agree Zeke would be huge. I also agree Pitino needs to win this year. He followed a train wreck year by holding on and adding a solid recruiting class. If he's terrible this year he will be fired. Everyone knows that I'd hope. Apologize for offending. Thanks for also reminding me why I don't post a ton on here. Was just looking for some friendly banter.

Wow not a very nice follow up to a fellow Lumberjack. I agree Zeke would be huge. I also agree Pitino needs to win this year. He followed a train wreck year by holding on and adding a solid recruiting class. If he's terrible this year he will be fired. Everyone knows that I'd hope. Apologize for offending. Thanks for also reminding me why I don't post a ton on here. Was just looking for some friendly banter.
Keep posting, your thoughts are well thought out. And you are always going to run into posters with anger management issues. We all do.

Anyone know who is in charge of updating the basketball recruiting class tab on this site? The last updates are from 2011. Would be nice to have some updated recruiting data and targets in one place.

He missed on EVERYONE in 2017 though. Not even 1 oflile 7 could get. All I’m saying is if he wants to stay around he better not strike out in the 19 class and have a good year this year

Totally agree on winning. It’s time to consistently win. But setting a bar on recruiting? Nah... as upperclassmen, the 2017 and 2018 group is going to be rock solid, if not deep. And Pitino showed in the first few weeks on this past season that he has no problem with a 7-8 man rotation. If he “strikes out” in 2019, he can build around it with an average recruiting class in 2020. And there will be transfers, both in and out.

2017 as seniors: IW and Curry (slides down due to redshirt)
2018 as juniors: Oturo and Carr

Call me an optimist, but we have two very talented players who produced as freshman and showed some top end potential in the 2017 scholarship slot. They may not be from MN, but who gives a ****? I think those four guys will all be above average in the big ten as upperclassmen. If we aren’t winning by this time, it’s not because of recruiting. It’s because of poor development or being outcoached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Losing out on Geno and the transfer of Stockman means more minutes for Jarvis and Gabe. Maybe we will catch a break and those two guys end up being better as freshman that expected. That also would set us up better for the following year. Isn’t it our turn for some good luck? That would also be a good thing for recruiting future MN kids.

Losing out on Geno and the transfer of Stockman means more minutes for Jarvis and Gabe. Maybe we will catch a break and those two guys end up being better as freshman that expected. That also would set us up better for the following year. Isn’t it our turn for some good luck? That would also be a good thing for recruiting future MN kids.

I truly believe Gabe is going to be a player we'll never forget. The jury is out for me on Jarvis but he is good enough to see some minutes next year, that is for sure.

LOL...Good Ol’ GH.
(My favorite muppet is the Swedish Chef by the way)

There were 4 good prospects in 2018, he landed 3 of them.

Agree, 2017 he missed on the Minnesota kids, recruiting seems to follow a successful year, this years class was signed following a good year, the 2019 class will be signed this fall which follows a bad year, hopefully it turns out.

Agree, 2017 he missed on the Minnesota kids, recruiting seems to follow a successful year, this years class was signed following a good year, the 2019 class will be signed this fall which follows a bad year, hopefully it turns out.

2019 is starting to share similarities that we may not get a MN kid. 2017 was tough, wish we'd pursued Davison harder, but I get why we took Washington at the time. Harris was supposedly that knock down 3 pt shooter we needed. Was hard with only 2 schollies. I thought we were in good shape for Sims, but heard Texas brought some things to the table which gained the quick commit. Wright was borderline as far as being admitted. Surprised he got into Boulder.

We knew Hurt was unlikely for awhile, sounds like we have hope with Zeke. Terry would've been nice to, but we can find other guards. I'm hoping Pulley starts keeping some high level guys as they seem better at getting them to the U. Hopefully get into a new area with our two new Assts as well.

Pitino’s gotta make some calls to Nike and get D1 MN on a Nike contract...

Pitino’s gotta make some calls to Nike and get D1 MN on a Nike contract...

Ehh, don't know if thats the problem.

Yes, that would help in the case of Hurt, a top 5 talent but don't think it would matter too much with everyone else.

Michael Hurt, Mckinley Wright, Jericho Sims, JP Macura, Tyrell Terry, Pat Mcaffrey are all D1 Minnesota guys either playing for or committed to a Nike school. Plus Tyler Wahl, Brad Davison and Nathan Ruevers are all committed to or at an Under Armor school. Really the only D1 Minnesota guys playing at an Adidas school are Race Thompson and Goanar Mar and probably Hurt.

The primary reason why historically we have gotten more Howard Pulley players is because up until the last two or so years, Pulley produced many more guys that are actually good enough to play for us.

Yes, that would help in the case of Hurt, a top 5 talent but don't think it would matter too much with everyone else.

Michael Hurt, Mckinley Wright, Jericho Sims, JP Macura, Tyrell Terry, Pat Mcaffrey are all D1 Minnesota guys either playing for or committed to a Nike school. Plus Tyler Wahl, Brad Davison and Nathan Ruevers are all committed to or at an Under Armor school. Really the only D1 Minnesota guys playing at an Adidas school are Race Thompson and Goanar Mar and probably Hurt.

The primary reason why historically we have gotten more Howard Pulley players is because up until the last two or so years, Pulley produced many more guys that are actually good enough to play for us.
I think long term that will be the case as well. Be interesting to see how D1 does a couple years after Matthew Hurt.

Correct, I'm was not saying it was because of their adidias affiliation/sponsorship. I'm making the point of the programs/coaches (crazy because Matthew Hurts dad owns D1). In the last 4-5 cycles, it's pretty clear Pulley and D1 have had quite a few if not the same amount of D1 guys, but Pulley kids are significant more likely to come to the U. It also seems recruitment/interest in the gophers picked up when they've gone from D1 to Pulley. Jarvis Johnson, Reid Travis, and Jarvis O all seemed like very unlikely to not even considering the U until they switched to Pulley. I know Tubby and Pulley didn't have a great relationship at the end of his tenure and that Richard and his staff (Ben Johnson mainly) had done better at repairing that. I think this will be interesting to follow with Zeke specifically.

Totally agree that this will be interesting to see what happens with D1 after Matthew is gone.

I'm not advocating for anything illegal, but I think it'd be in everybody's best interest to get Mr. Hurt paid for D1 MN to switch to Nike, and Mr. Hurt can return the favor by pointing some of his kids to Minnesota...

I'm all for hiring Mr. Hurt to get his son and Zeke on campus.

Hurt is a 9th grade basketball coach at JM, why is this even a conversation. No one is hiring him to be a p5 assistant coach or dobo. Also he has a damn good regular job and hed probably have to take a paycut to be the dobo.

Hurt is a 9th grade basketball coach at JM, why is this even a conversation. No one is hiring him to be a p5 assistant coach or dobo. Also he has a damn good regular job and hed probably have to take a paycut to be the dobo.
What line of work is he in? I am assuming you kinda know him? I imagine he performs a lot of DOBO duties running an AAU program.

I believe he works at mayo in some sort of business role.
What line of work is he in? I am assuming you kinda know him? I imagine he performs a lot of DOBO duties running an AAU program.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Tray Jackson 4 star sf/pf at sunrise christian is suppose to visit after the july viewing period.

Tray Jackson 4 star sf/pf at sunrise christian is suppose to visit after the july viewing period.
Interesting, saw we were looking at Cowan too at that school. Common new assistant, get it done.

Interesting, saw we were looking at Cowan too at that school. Common new assistant, get it done.

With Linsteds family starting Sunrise Christian, id expect to hear a ton of targets from there as long as hes here. Great school to have a pipeline to.

Top Bottom