All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Inexcusable, if true.

This state has been loaded with talent for a number of years now, and we have 1 top 150 guy to show for it? (I'm not counting Jarvis).

yup....we need to make sure to hire an assistant that has some major ties and major pull in this state. we gotta start getting the big dogs

Gophers aren't getting Hurt.

Who are the other 2?

Believe the other 2 would be Tyrell Terry (DeLaSalle) and Zeke Nnaji (Hopkins)

I didn’t see any tweets where Doogie said that, and I haven’t listened to his last couple podcasts so I can’t verify that he actually said that. I know he’s always said that Hurt and Suggs (Minnehaha, 2020 prospect) are both unlikely. Not sure if he’s said the same about Terry or Nnaji.

FWIW, Doogie also said we wouldn’t get Jarvis Omersa a couple years ago, but I think that was around the time where it looked like Jarvis was transferring to a “basketball factory” type high school in a different part of the country. I know some on here don’t like Doogie, but the reality is that he probably better at getting insider info than almost any other local media person.

I totally understand that Hurt is a long shot, but we should absolutely be able to get Nnaji or Terry if we want them. Neither is a top 150 guy. Would be very disappointing to lose out on both if we want them.

Doogie said he doesn't think we'll get any of the top 3 MN kids for 2019, which makes me hopeful.

That is a problem, there were four viable D1 prospects in 2017, he came up with zero, I think he really needs to get at least one of the top Minnesota players each year to be successful.

I didn’t see any tweets where Doogie said that, and I haven’t listened to his last couple podcasts so I can’t verify that he actually said that. I know he’s always said that Hurt and Suggs (Minnehaha, 2020 prospect) are both unlikely. Not sure if he’s said the same about Terry or Nnaji.

FWIW, Doogie also said we wouldn’t get Jarvis Omersa a couple years ago, but I think that was around the time where it looked like Jarvis was transferring to a “basketball factory” type high school in a different part of the country. I know some on here don’t like Doogie, but the reality is that he probably better at getting insider info than almost any other local media person.

I totally understand that Hurt is a long shot, but we should absolutely be able to get Nnaji or Terry if we want them. Neither is a top 150 guy. Would be very disappointing to lose out on both if we want them.
He said it on Mackey and Judd yesterday. I believe the three you mention are the three. Said Stanford was the favorite for Terry and Bucky for the other kid. Hurt obviously a long shot.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think Doogie has zero inside information. He's never broke anything that didn't seem likely (like Bizzle, I think you could probably prognosticate as well as Doogie). It's sort of like when psychics do "cold reading". When Doogie does appear to "break" something, it never happens.

That is a problem, there were four viable D1 prospects in 2017, he came up with zero, I think he really needs to get at least one of the top Minnesota players each year to be successful.

We also got Isaiah Washington who was rated higher than l think everyone in Minnesota that year except for Gary Trent and Jericho Sims.

Honestly, I think Doogie has zero inside information. He's never broke anything that didn't seem likely (like Bizzle, I think you could probably prognosticate as well as Doogie). It's sort of like when psychics do "cold reading". When Doogie does appear to "break" something, it never happens.

A lot of truth to that. If Doogie knew , everyone would know. I have been around it forever and where a kid is going is something they may not even know. People in the prediction business will look good by picking that kids will not come here because 80 % of the time they do not. That is the same for all non blue bloods. You miss more than you get. As for instate, why do people care where kids come from ? Track the top 25 programs and they get players from all over. Top players dream of those blue blood schools and playing one or two years. Get players like Murphy, Terry is a really good player, Zeke is good but you can get those players from all over. Coach them up, develop, win. This state is not producing a disproportionate amount of high end talent. That is a myth. Few schools keep a ton of kids home. These kids are not provincial.

Not only did Doogie claim no chance Jarvis was coming here, he also claimed there was zero chance that we would offer him, then proceeded to get into a bizarre Twitter spat with Jarvis' mom.

So I think we can safely take his recruiting predictions with a grain of salt.

Inexcusable, if true.

This state has been loaded with talent for a number of years now, and we have 1 top 150 guy to show for it? (I'm not counting Jarvis).

Amir Coffey and Daniel Oturu are both in state top 150 kids.

Going back to the 2015 class, this year’s college seniors, Dorsey, McBrayer, Murphy, Curry, and Washington are 5 top 150 commits from out of state. Jarvis Johnson and Michael Hurt were in state commits who were not top 150. As someone else pointed out, Terry and Nnaji are also not top 150. 247’s rankings actually have both Kalscheur and Omersa in the top 150, but both are in the 180’s in the composite rankings.

We also have McCullar and McGowens as 2 out of state 2019 4-stars that are showing significant interest.

I'd agree with most of that. And for the record, I certainly don't take everything he says as gospel. As I pointed out, he was wrong on Omersa. Believe he was first on Ben Johnson leaving so I'll give credit where it's due there. I don't think he's breaking news to anyone when he says chances aren't good on Hurt. I was a little surprised to hear him say that it isn't looking great for either Terry or Nnaji. I'm not obsessed with getting MN guys as some others, but I would have thought that for guys like those two a MN offer would be pretty special. Don't like it that Nnaji appears leaning Wisconsin.

Soooo much can still change for 2019. Other teams could bring in players at the same position as a recruit causing them to lose interest, teams could flat out suck or have scandals, Minnesota could have an amazing Michigan-esque final four run etc. etc. etc. We might not be in the lead for these guys right now, but a whole lot can change.

This is a conundrum. Tino needs to become successful to attract the States top prospects, but he needs the States top prospects to become successful. I suggest he gets the best he can from any place and then attract any locals who are top-notch.

Don’t give up on Hurt? Hurt will be a NBA first round pick no matter if he plays for Kansas, the Gophers or at Rochester Community and Technical College. Hurt is that good. He may want to play with his bro like Ellenson did at Marquette.

I'm not obsessed with getting MN guys as some others, but I would have thought that for guys like those two a MN offer would be pretty special. Don't like it that Nnaji appears leaning Wisconsin.

Lets just see how the mindset changes when Gard misses the tournament again. His seat could get pretty hot. That said, so could Pitinos.

Lets just see how the mindset changes when Gard misses the tournament again. His seat could get pretty hot. That said, so could Pitinos.

Most of these kids will pick a college and sign their LOI before next Tournament begins.

Go Gophers!!

Zeke will have already signed by then...

My hope is Pitino is hard after Zeke, Tyrell and Tyler Wahl during this spring period. I think Wahl has some Macura in him (not just because they're from the same high school).... Wahl looks like he's going to be a good player though and he's got the size already to play on the wing. Tyrell isn't the most athletic kid but high iq player who can shoot the lights out. Not always about speed... Davison proves that.

Zeke will have already signed by then...

My hope is Pitino is hard after Zeke, Tyrell and Tyler Wahl during this spring period. I think Wahl has some Macura in him (not just because they're from the same high school).... Wahl looks like he's going to be a good player though and he's got the size already to play on the wing. Tyrell isn't the most athletic kid but high iq player who can shoot the lights out. Not always about speed... Davison proves that.

UW just extended Gard today. Alvarez loves Gard.

Quick Doogie story. I was listening to one of the Souhan/Krawcynski Timberwolves podcasts and they were talking about Doogie's report that Wiggins had been telling people he wasn't happy being a 3rd option. They both said they had not heard that, that they had talked to people who said that's not really in Wiggins makeup to say something like that, and Souhan also cracked that Doogie's source may have been a janitor at Target Center.

As for the Gophers not getting any of the top 3 Minnesota players? It's entirely possible. I think any of us could deduce this without proclaiming any insider knowledge. Some things to think about:

1. The last time the Gophers came off a disastrous season under Pitino they did horribly in state. Pitino lost a legacy recruit in Jericho Sims and lost Theo John who had been a priority for a long time to Marquette. It probably wasn't fair to expect him to sign Gary Trent, but he also went elsewhere. We can debate how much the Gophers really wanted Nate Reuvers or if they simply offered too late, but he went to Wisconsin. Then you have Davison who they bizarrely offered after they knew he was going to Wisconsin and Wright who had an offer and allegedly wanted to come, but wouldn't commit until visiting Dayton (?).

2. If you accept the premise that Matthew Hurt is a long shot (I don't believe he should be, but that's another issue) then you really might only be predicting that they lose out on Zeke. I know Tyrell was offered this week, but I think it's fair to speculate that there are other point guards Pitino prefers given the access they've had to Tyrell and the fact that they offered numerous other 2019 guards previously.

I think it's fair to be very concerned about 2019 recruiting. The Gophers can't seem to get any momentum on 2018 guys of any stature despite having 3 open scholarships and avenues to playing time on what could/would be a good team with a solid addition. Even before Kimani and Ben left there was precious little buzz on the Gophers being favorites for anyone in this class (247 had a couple predictions of Hurt to Minnesota but that is literally it). Pitino's hot seat certainly won't help the situation. Obviously it's still early and things could turn out great with the 2019 class and hopefully Jeter and whoever Pitino hires in the next week or two will help recruit some gems.

Quick Doogie story. I was listening to one of the Souhan/Krawcynski Timberwolves podcasts and they were talking about Doogie's report that Wiggins had been telling people he wasn't happy being a 3rd option. They both said they had not heard that, that they had talked to people who said that's not really in Wiggins makeup to say something like that, and Souhan also cracked that Doogie's source may have been a janitor at Target Center.

As for the Gophers not getting any of the top 3 Minnesota players? It's entirely possible. I think any of us could deduce this without proclaiming any insider knowledge. Some things to think about:

1. The last time the Gophers came off a disastrous season under Pitino they did horribly in state. Pitino lost a legacy recruit in Jericho Sims and lost Theo John who had been a priority for a long time to Marquette. It probably wasn't fair to expect him to sign Gary Trent, but he also went elsewhere. We can debate how much the Gophers really wanted Nate Reuvers or if they simply offered too late, but he went to Wisconsin. Then you have Davison who they bizarrely offered after they knew he was going to Wisconsin and Wright who had an offer and allegedly wanted to come, but wouldn't commit until visiting Dayton (?).

2. If you accept the premise that Matthew Hurt is a long shot (I don't believe he should be, but that's another issue) then you really might only be predicting that they lose out on Zeke. I know Tyrell was offered this week, but I think it's fair to speculate that there are other point guards Pitino prefers given the access they've had to Tyrell and the fact that they offered numerous other 2019 guards previously.

I think it's fair to be very concerned about 2019 recruiting. The Gophers can't seem to get any momentum on 2018 guys of any stature despite having 3 open scholarships and avenues to playing time on what could/would be a good team with a solid addition. Even before Kimani and Ben left there was precious little buzz on the Gophers being favorites for anyone in this class (247 had a couple predictions of Hurt to Minnesota but that is literally it). Pitino's hot seat certainly won't help the situation. Obviously it's still early and things could turn out great with the 2019 class and hopefully Jeter and whoever Pitino hires in the next week or two will help recruit some gems.

There are two big differences between the last time we had a bad season and this time:

1. In this case Pitino just brought on three really good local recruits who will help with their local buddies and they have a positive attitude about the program.
2. Last time the bad season was also marred by a scandal and not that many people thought the program had a chance to rebound. This time the bad season was almost 100% because of injuries and that is a lot more easy for recruits and families to understand.

I'm not saying 2019 recruiting will be easy. But it is different then a few years back.

There are two big differences between the last time we had a bad season and this time:

1. In this case Pitino just brought on three really good local recruits who will help with their local buddies and they have a positive attitude about the program.
2. Last time the bad season was also marred by a scandal and not that many people thought the program had a chance to rebound. This time the bad season was almost 100% because of injuries and that is a lot more easy for recruits and families to understand.

I'm not saying 2019 recruiting will be easy. But it is different then a few years back.
Great perspective, it does seem and feel different this time. This past season will be quickly forgotten if Curry and Coffey come back full strength and the at least one or more of the freshmen are impact players.

Great perspective, it does seem and feel different this time. This past season will be quickly forgotten if Curry and Coffey come back full strength and the at least one or more of the freshmen are impact players.

I’m also cautiously optimistic that Stockman is more dependable if not impactful than both BK and Diedhu. There is a lot of uncertainty this year but also a lot to be hopeful about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m also cautiously optimistic that Stockman is more dependable if not impactful than both BK and Diedhu. There is a lot of uncertainty this year but also a lot to be hopeful about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was some in-game Stockman video posted after the transfer. Judging by that, he will definitely be an improvement over those two.

I do get a sinking feeling about the direction recruiting seems to be going. The three Minnesotans in 2018 make a wonderful class, but you can never rest, and the losses of these assistant coaches is making things very difficult at the wrong time.

There was some in-game Stockman video posted after the transfer. Judging by that, he will definitely be an improvement over those two.

But its impossible for a player to not have to good of stats at one school, and then turnaround and have good ones at the new school. Just because you watched a video of a player doesn't mean anything! Stats tell you all you need to know about a player without ever watching him...surprised you didn't learn that in the Payton Willis thread..:D

But its impossible for a player to not have to good of stats at one school, and then turnaround and have good ones at the new school. Just because you watched a video of a player doesn't mean anything! Stats tell you all you need to know about a player without ever watching him...surprised you didn't learn that in the Payton Willis thread..:D

Stats don't tell the whole story as Stockman has been more limited in minutes played. How many minutes would Konate have earned at Louisville? I'm not saying that video is decisive, just that anyone watching highlight videos of Stockman and Konate would arrive at the conclusion that Stockman's is more impressive. Take it for whatever you think it's worth.

Top Bottom