All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

3 for the Fall. That's 2 more than we filled last fall. I agree that projecting what we will have next Spring is a crapshoot.
Three is plenty for the fall. If good players want to be here we will make it work

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

3 for the Fall. That's 2 more than we filled last fall. I agree that projecting what we will have next Spring is a crapshoot.

A breakthrough season is long overdue. Winning the Big Ten Tournament and going deep into the NCAAs can change Gopher Recruiting for the better in a hurry. It is a shame that the Gophers can't land some of the top instate kids over the last few years.

A breakthrough season is long overdue. Winning the Big Ten Tournament and going deep into the NCAAs can change Gopher Recruiting for the better in a hurry. It is a shame that the Gophers can't land some of the top instate kids over the last few years.

I totally agree. Pitino and company with prove we can win with other stars! Go Gophers

We need one or two of the instate kids to step up and take a spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A breakthrough season is long overdue. Winning the Big Ten Tournament and going deep into the NCAAs can change Gopher Recruiting for the better in a hurry.

Well, they had a breakthrough season of sorts in 2017 but they couldn't sustain it. What Pitino needs to do is show that he can produce some sustained level of success. This past season was good enough but if Pitino can follow that with a winning Big Ten season, he will have established a clear presumption that he deserves to be here for some time.

Well, they had a breakthrough season of sorts in 2017 but they couldn't sustain it. What Pitino needs to do is show that he can produce some sustained level of success. This past season was good enough but if Pitino can follow that with a winning Big Ten season, he will have established a clear presumption that he deserves to be here for some time.

Injuries, and our past lack of depth to overcome them, are such a wildcard. I can’t help but wonder where we might be if we’d been healthy in 2017-2018. Where would our confidence level be if coming off three straight NCAA appearances? How much more attractive we would look to potential recruits? Oh, well. This is where we are now and it feels like we’re trending in the right direction.

Ski-U-Mah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holding back scholarships is an incredibly stupid strategy when you could have a graduate transfer of any caliber...even to help with practice. There is no point ever to not use all 13. While we may have an edge on in-state recruits, banking scholarships in hopes of getting them is ridiculous considering our track record. Hopefully we will get some but thinking we'll get so many that we need to hold back scholarships for them is ridiculous. Let's recruit the best folks who want to go here no matter where they are from...the other 49 states, Europe etc.

Most grad transfers want to go somewhere where they will get a chance to play. They're not going to go somewhere to be a practice player.

Most grad transfers want to go somewhere where they will get a chance to play. They're not going to go somewhere to be a practice player.

If we get a decent grad transfer guard like Kareem South, they would probably have the inside track to start if Amir is gone or be the 6th man if Amir stays.

Oturo?

Like you said, most not all proving my point. There are over 300 division 1 teams and then D2 and D3. There are a ton of guys who graduate with a year of eligibility left. Not all can start...some may just want the opportunity to play with the big boys. The worst thing we could do is bank a scholarship.

In the spirit of this.....

Like you said, most not all proving my point. There are over 300 division 1 teams and then D2 and D3. There are a ton of guys who graduate with a year of eligibility left. Not all can start...some may just want the opportunity to play with the big boys. The worst thing we could do is bank a scholarship.

.....does anyone know if Tujautae Williams is in fact here this weekend? Looks like an athlete we could use, then add another grad transfer for the 13th spot if Amir stays in the pro game.

Oturu and coffey lol

Jarvis too.

This is a off topic, but is interesting nevertheless.

I forgot about Coffey and Michael Hurt, and last year's haul of Oturu, Omersa, and Kalscheur. They got Jarvis Johnson in 2015, but never played for health reasons.

Other than that, here are some of the top Minnesota players since 2014:

Tyus Jones - Duke, Timberwolves in the 2015 NBA Draft.

Rashad Vaughn - UNLV, 2015 NBA to Milwaukee Bucks, now in G League Delaware Bluecoats.

J.P. Macura - Xavier, 2018 NBA Undrafted, with Char Hornets and in G League Greensboro Swarm.

Akolda Manyang - Oklahoma, kicked off team for arrest, now G League Utah Wolverines. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s-dismiss-7-foot-center-akolda-manyang-arrest

Alex Illikainen - WI, transferred to UMD https://badgerswire.usatoday.com/20...-alex-illikainen-commits-to-minnesota-duluth/

Jarvis Johnson - MN, The Gophers' fortunes may have changed had he been able to play. He is a nice kid and team mate despite not being able to play. https://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/03/spmbjarvisjohnson

Sacar Anim - Marquette, turned out to be quite a defensive player for Marquette https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2019...en-eagles-basketball-player-review-sacar-anim

Amir Coffey - MN, testing the NBA Draft, may return to team. If he gets invited to the G League combine, he'll know what he'll need to improve on, and a return to the Gophers may help him improve further. I don't think his NBA dream is to start in the G League right off the bat. Rashad Vaughn, JP Macura, and Akolda Manyang are all in the G League. Wish him the best. If he decides to come back, the Gophers will be that stronger. http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...-agent-but-could-return-to-gophers/508078242/

Michael Hurt - MN, Hopefully he'll be a strong role player for the Gophers in his final season https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_a8a7844e-62f8-11e9-8325-17dcf478cfc9.html

Tyler Johnson - MN Football

The Gophers went 0-8 on the top MN players

Jericho Sims - Texas

Nate Reuvers - WI

Brad Davidson - WI

Race Thompson - Indiana

Theo John - Marquette

Goanar Mar - George Mason

McKinley Wright - Colorado

Ishmail El-Amin - Ball State

Tre Jones - Duke, would have love to see him stay home

Daniel Oturu - MN

Jarvis Omersa - MN

Gabe Kalscheur - MN

Adam Trapp - SDSU

Joe Hedstrom - WI

Shae Mitchell - Wisc Milwaukee

The Gophers are 0-7 for this class.

Matthew Hurt - Duke. He's looking at one and done. Tre Jones returning influenced his Duke choice.

Zeke Nnaji - Arizona

Tyrell Terry - Stanford

Robert Jones - Denver U

Tyler Wahl - WI

Maleeck Harden - NDSU

David Roddy - Colorado State

Five players to watch:

Jalen Suggs - will it be football (tOSU) or basketball (Gonzaga)?

Dawson Garcia - warm to Baylor, Marquette, Texas, MN, Xavier

Dain Dainja - warm to Marquette

Ben Carlson - warm to Iowa, MN, Purdue, Stanford, Xavier

Kerwin Walton - ?

There may be a few players whose recruiting value will rise.

Last edited:

I forgot about Coffey and Michael Hurt, and last year's haul of Oturu, Omersa, and Kalscheur. They got Jarvis Johnson in 2015, but never played for health reasons.

Rashad Vaughn - UNLV, 2015 NBA to Milwaukee Bucks, now in G League Delaware Bluecoats.

J.P. Macura - Xavier, 2018 NBA Undrafted, with Char Hornets and in G League Greensboro Swarm.

Akolda Manyang - Oklahoma, kicked off team for arrest, now G League Utah Wolverines. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...s-dismiss-7-foot-center-akolda-manyang-arrest

Alex Illikainen - WI, transferred to UMD https://badgerswire.usatoday.com/20...-alex-illikainen-commits-to-minnesota-duluth/

Jarvis Johnson - MN, The Gophers' fortunes may have changed had he been able to play. He is a nice kid and team mate despite not being able to play. https://www.mndaily.com/article/2019/03/spmbjarvisjohnson

Sacar Anim - Marquette, turned out to be quite a defensive player for Marquette https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2019...en-eagles-basketball-player-review-sacar-anim

Amir Coffey - MN, testing the NBA Draft, may return to team. I don't think his NBA dream is to be relegated to the G League as Rashad Vaughn, JP Macura, and Akolda Manyang did. Wish him the best. If he decides to come back, the Gophers will be that stronger. http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...-agent-but-could-return-to-gophers/508078242/

Michael Hurt - MN, Hopefully he'll be a strong role player for the Gophers in his final season https://www.postbulletin.com/sports...cle_a8a7844e-62f8-11e9-8325-17dcf478cfc9.html

Jericho Sims - Texas

Nate Reuvers - WI

Brad Davidson - WI

Race Thompson - Indiana

Theo John - Marquette

Daniel Oturu - MN

Jarvis Omersa - MN

Gabe Kalscheur - MN

Adam Trapp - SDSU

Joe Hedstrom - WI

Matthew Hurt - Duke. He's looking at one and done. Tre Jones returning influenced his Duke choice.

Zeke Nnaji - Arizona

Tyrell Terry - Stanford

Robert Jones - Denver U

Tyler Wahl - WI

Maleeck Harden - NDSU

Five players to watch:

Kerwin Walton - ?

Your counting a ton of kids that were not offered, kids that were not good enough and kids who were never coming here.

Your counting a ton of kids that were not offered, kids that were not good enough and kids who were never coming here.

Agreed. This is just a list of top MN players whether or not the Gophers have/had any interest in them.

Amir Coffey - MN, testing the NBA Draft, may return to team. If he gets invited to the G League combine, he'll know what he'll need to improve on, and a return to the Gophers may help him improve further. I don't think his NBA dream is to start in the G League right off the bat. Rashad Vaughn, JP Macura, and Akolda Manyang are all in the G League. Wish him the best. If he decides to come back, the Gophers will be that stronger. http://www.startribune.com/amir-cof...-agent-but-could-return-to-gophers/508078242/

Jericho Sims - Texas

Nate Reuvers - WI

Brad Davidson - WI

Race Thompson - Indiana

Theo John - Marquette

Daniel Oturu - MN

Jarvis Omersa - MN

Gabe Kalscheur - MN

Adam Trapp - SDSU

Joe Hedstrom - WI

Zeke Nnaji - Arizona

Tyrell Terry - Stanford

Robert Jones - Denver U

Tyler Wahl - WI

Maleeck Harden - NDSU

Five players to watch:

Kerwin Walton - ?

2020 kids are a long ways from deciding. Have a whole summer and SR year for some. This list doesn't prove anything. Do a list of any other state and see how it plays out. Results won't be different and in most cases will be worse. Also you missed kids like Jamison Battle, but also some kids didn't take the offer when given to them and others who wanted to be here took it. That's a good thing if the kids work out. No one should care about Hurt or Zeke or anyone if the players we get are good.

Correct. And like Pitino said in his interview, the U has the second most in-state recruits in the B1G!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Was asking because i just want to win championships no matter where the players are from. The job is to put pieces together that win championships no matter what state or country they are from.

I have to take issue with terming the 2017 and 2019 classes as 0 for 8 and 0 for 7. In retrospect, as has been rehashed time and again on here, it would have been preferable to have McKinley Wright and Brad Davidson (taking a blind look his antisocial tendencies) on the team these past two seasons over Isaiah Washington and Jamir Harris. Outside of Sims, I don't recall the Gophers recruiting any of the others that heavily (perhaps they pulled back on Reuvers and John early because they saw they were headed out of state), but outside of Wright and maybe Davidson, is there a player amongst that group that was missed on? Were the scholarships available? Would we rather have John or Sims or Thompson on the squad versus our current roster?

As for 2019, were Robert Jones and Maleeck Hardin recruited in any sense by the Gophers? Were Wahl and Roddy hotly pursued? As for the other three, we're talking about Duke, Arizona, and Stanford (which, as I recall the conversation at the time, Terry's focus towards academics made it a foregone conclusion once they offered).

It's been said by builtbadgers and many others-I'm interested in a winning Gopher basketball team-if that's comprised of Minnesota preps, wonderful; in fact, I would love our own version of Michigan State's Flintstones or the Illinois-Peoria pipeline that brought the Spartans a national championship and the Illini Big 10 titles. However, I remember 2003-04, when the Gophers had 6 of their top 7 players hail from Minnesota and they finished an abysmal 12-18. This was with Humphries, Boone, Bauer, and Hargrow as part of the team (along with Ben Johnson and Jeff Hagen), all of who dotted the top 100 recruiting lists during their prep career. It was miserable! And no one went to the games. That was the saddest senior night I recall attending, with the ceremony happening after the game and a smattering of fans left to recognize the seniors.

Get the best players you can from wherever you can, coach them up, and build a winning tradition that stretches into the Top 5 of the conference consistently and into the second weekend of the NCAA tournament fairly regularly.

Ultimately, the Gophers have to get the best players available where ever they come from. It is a bonus when you get an Amir Coffey or a Kevin McHale for that matter who decided to stay home.

Many decades ago an outstate kid was happy to get an offer from the U. It was a big city. Some kids rarely traveled. AAU was non-existent.

Today a Kevin McHale would be nationally known for 5 years. He would tavel the nation in AAU. He would have the blue bloods in Hibbing watching his games for years. He would be a McDonald's all american and he would probably pick a blue blood and be one and done.

Many decades ago an outstate kid was happy to get an offer from the U. It was a big city. Some kids rarely traveled. AAU was non-existent.

Today a Kevin McHale would be nationally known for 5 years. He would tavel the nation in AAU. He would have the blue bloods in Hibbing watching his games for years. He would be a McDonald's all american and he would probably pick a blue blood and be one and done.
Wrong person to pick. McHale still has roots in Hibbing. Rangers never leave. Just look at Alex Illikainen. He's now at UMD and will likely be living in Grand Rapids.
But, I do agree that AAU has changed the process. I also understand that money, under the table, from various sources affect choices by kids who are swayed by money rather than academics. It's a different culture that excuses person's and argues that there is nothing wrong with "helping your family."
McHale, however, would be a Gopher because it was close to home and he could be with his high school sweetheart to whom he has been married for 35 + years.

I'd say it's not really good or bad, but it's an interesting statistic given the perception some have that Pitino has not gotten enough players from Minnesota.

Agree. He has plenty of talent from the state on his team. There are not that many game changers that were realistic for coming here. The one that we could have had that i liked recently was Macura but every coach in every state misses out on instate kids. Many folks from here are vastly overrating so many of the kids from the state in comparison to the value i see of kids elsewhere. Pitino has players from the state who i think are tremendous. My concern is what he gets out of his teams !

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Completely agree, but there is another difference from McHale's time as well: boarding preps that play elite basketball schedules with various invitational tournaments. There's a good chance these days that McHale wouldn't have played 4 years at Hibbing.

Agree. He has plenty of talent from the state on his team. There are not that many game changers that were realistic for coming here. The one that we could have had that i liked recently was Macura but every coach in every state misses out on instate kids. Many folks from here are vastly overrating so many of the kids from the state in comparison to the value i see of kids elsewhere. Pitino has players from the state who i think are tremendous. My concern is what he gets out of his teams !

Have you offered your services to Richard yet?

Top Bottom