All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Freeman’s high school coach said he was a project. Sounds like a great kid, but if we could redshirt him it’d be the best. Probably won’t have the numbers to, but bigs can take more time.

Freeman’s high school coach said he was a project. Sounds like a great kid, but if we could redshirt him it’d be the best. Probably won’t have the numbers to, but bigs can take more time.

That's not how the article I read sounded. The coach stated that Freeman had been a project but is developing by leaps and bounds, is an incredibly hard worker and he expected him to play a fair amount right away.

Trying to follow this thread. Why are people assuming that Jarvis can't start at the PF? If Carr can play, Amir moves back to SF, Oturu takes on a larger part of the scoring load with Murph graduating, etc. Jarvis can run, jump, defend, provide energy. I think he showed in the last game in particular that he is capable, albeit with a (very) small sample size. Again just curious why people think he can't fill this role if we don't land a graduate PF?

I'm a big fan of Jarvis and think he has a lot of potential, but he just isn't ready. He shot 29.4% from the floor and 20% from the free throw line. He looks uncomfortable on offense and isn't a threat to score yet. He needs time.

Haven’t seen his name mentioned much in awhile, but Myron Gardner committed to Georgetown today.

I'm a big fan of Jarvis and think he has a lot of potential, but he just isn't ready. He shot 29.4% from the floor and 20% from the free throw line. He looks uncomfortable on offense and isn't a threat to score yet. He needs time.

My thoughts exactly. Have we ever seen a guy who shoots this poorly become a good shooter? Or even a serviceable shooter? Damian Johnson comes to mind but I’m not sure he was shooting free-throw air-balls as a freshman. I’m hoping that some of that was just nerves for Jarvis and he’ll improve a lot just by calming down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not how the article I read sounded. The coach stated that Freeman had been a project but is developing by leaps and bounds, is an incredibly hard worker and he expected him to play a fair amount right away.

I can trust your take. Still think it’d be wonderful if we could redshirt him. Wish we could’ve with Jarvis too

My thoughts exactly. Have we ever seen a guy who shoots this poorly become a good shooter? Or even a serviceable shooter? Damian Johnson comes to mind but I’m not sure he was shooting free-throw air-balls as a freshman. I’m hoping that some of that was just nerves for Jarvis and he’ll improve a lot just by calming down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jarvis will never be a shooter. He is an energy kid who does his work in the paint and off offensive rebounds. Poor mans Jordan Murphy. Will hopefully be a better defender than Murph though.

Fair enough. I saw him play several times in high school and he's not a terrible FT shooter... hopefully his 15 attempts this year are representative of a lack of opportunity.

I see on 247 we have a new JUCO name on the "interested" area....Valdir Manuel looks like a pf/c type player

Omersa is a bigger Jason Stamper.

Stamper and Omersa are virtually the same size. They are both 6'6", and Stamper was listed at 215 while Omersa is listed at 225. Omersa is only a rising sophomore and certainly could get much better, but at this point he is not even close to Stamper. Stamper started an entire season and averaged roughly 6 pts and 6 boards per game. If you extrapolate Omersa's freshman numbers over the same minutes, he'd be at about 3 pts and 4 boards per game - essentially, he's a little better than half the player Stamper was.

Stamper and Omersa are virtually the same size. They are both 6'6", and Stamper was listed at 215 while Omersa is listed at 225. Omersa is only a rising sophomore and certainly could get much better, but at this point he is not even close to Stamper. Stamper started an entire season and averaged roughly 6 pts and 6 boards per game. If you extrapolate Omersa's freshman numbers over the same minutes, he'd be at about 3 pts and 4 boards per game - essentially, he's a little better than half the player Stamper was.

Didn't know everything was based off of a small statistical sample, but I don't think he's a stamper either

Stamper was an underrated player for us, in my opinion. I agree with people who see Omersa as a poor man's Jordan Murphy. Can't shoot. Positive kid. Hard worker. Tough. Super athletic. I think any kid who works hard and is athletic is capable of turning into a very useful player. I'm not sure it'll happen next year, but eventually.

I still think that Omersa was a recruiting mistake. Best thing for him and the Gophers would be to transfer to a DII or DIII where he can play. It’s nothing personal. But he isn’t a Big10 player that the Gophers can win with.

I still think that Omersa was a recruiting mistake. Best thing for him and the Gophers would be to transfer to a DII or DIII where he can play. It’s nothing personal. But he isn’t a Big10 player that the Gophers can win with.
Did you not see him in AAU or in high school? Wasn't going to get any run behind Murphy. He's also younger than Matthew Hurt and Tre williams

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Didn't know everything was based off of a small statistical sample, but I don't think he's a stamper either

As I said, there's plenty of room for growth, but based on current evidence it's not close. I'd love to have a Stamper on the current roster to fill the gaping hole at the 4. Curry when healthy was as good or better, but I don't know whether he'll ever be healthy again.

Bad take, strongly disagree. Omersa is definitely a D1 player. If you wanna debate whether or not you think he will be effective in the B1G I get that...but to say he doesn't belong at a D1 level based off a very small sample size is ridiculous.

These posts are always the best. Yes, a player who might not be able to cut it in the Big Ten should go to a Division II or III school and bypass the roughly 25 conferences and 250 teams that are between the Big Ten and DII in quality. Brilliant logic and very helpful.

What does this Stamper vs Omersa debate have to do with 2019 Gopher Basketball Recruiting? Start another thread please.

These posts are always the best. Yes, a player who might not be able to cut it in the Big Ten should go to a Division II or III school and bypass the roughly 25 conferences and 250 teams that are between the Big Ten and DII in quality. Brilliant logic and very helpful.

I also love when people say a player wont be able to get his shot off in the BIG TEN! To this day i have yet to see a player consistently not be able to fire up their shots. Like the BIG TEN is insanely better than every other conference. Guys can get shots off in the AAC but when they come to the BIG TEN they all get blocked lol

Amazes me how many people cluelessly come to the conclusion that someone struggling at the Big Ten level should be playing D2 or D3. Why people go out of their way to make themselves sound stupid is something I'll never understand.

I guess you didn't see him against MSU when Murphy couldn't play and Stockman was also out. He held his own defensively and rebounded well. Played with purpose and hustle, he will get much much better over the summer with his individual workouts. BECAUSE HE WANTS TO IMPROVE!!! He really isn't that far away.

Find Another kid with MINNESOTA tattooed across his back and tell me they want the Gophers to succeed more than Jarvis.

Last edited:

Lots of players mature. They get better coaching, better training table, better weight lifting guidance....they grow physically and they play a little bit more each year and become what I call bread and butter players...players who give you minutes. You get 13 scholarships...only 5 players can start...if the other 8 provide useful minutes you will have the depth you need to overcome injuries and the like. I'm confident by junior year, Omersa will be giving us useful minutes.

per Sid:

• Give Gophers head basketball coach Richard Pitino credit as he now has the fifth-best recruiting class in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports, after signing Isaiah Ihnen out of Germany. The Gophers still have a shot at Myron Gardner, a 6-6 small forward out of Detroit who has offers from Cincinnati, Xavier and Georgetown.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...inale-proved-to-be-a-turning-point/509170382/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Give Gophers head basketball coach Richard Pitino credit as he now has the fifth-best recruiting class in the Big Ten, according to 247 Sports, after signing Isaiah Ihnen out of Germany. The Gophers still have a shot at Myron Gardner, a 6-6 small forward out of Detroit who has offers from Cincinnati, Xavier and Georgetown.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...inale-proved-to-be-a-turning-point/509170382/

Go Gophers!!
Myron Gardner committed to Georgetown.

https://247sports.com/Player/Myron-Gardner-46055859/

I thought Omersa played really good defense at the end of the year.

I see no reason why he can't harness his athleticism to rebound, defound, and run the floor.

Top Bottom