All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

This, to me would be the ideal group considering who we are in on and assuming Coffey stays:

Oturu/Freeman
Juiston/Curry/Omersa
Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
Kalsch/Willis/Williams
Carr/Sherfield

That group offers good balance and a lot of flexibility. If Coffey leaves the staff has to figure out whether to fill it or save it.

Edit: Fixed for bonehead error correction.

That is a really good team. We can dream.

let me ask you this....if Coffey leaves....can Juiston play SF as well?

Totally agree. Just a generalization, but I think there is some truth to it. I think the “modern” US kid worries too much about dunking and not enough about fundamentals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

let me ask you this....if Coffey leaves....can Juiston play SF as well?

His stats look to say no. He is a banger who finishes at a high percentage (over 60% 2 pt shooting when healthy) and rebounds at 10 per game. But he almost never shoots the 3 point shot.

His stats look to say no. He is a banger who finishes at a high percentage (over 60% 2 pt shooting when healthy) and rebounds at 10 per game. But he almost never shoots the 3 point shot.

thanks....don't know much about him...just looking him up his 247 profile called him a SF so figured I would ask....those stats certainly say he is more PF

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is all kind of like musical chairs. You don't want to be left standing, hoping, searching for one more opening...except we need 5 seats.

Uh-oh. Didn’t some posters have him penciled into the lineup?

No. Not really at all. A couple people assumed he was interested based on interest months ago, but I don't think Pitino or his staff were involved.

That's probably why they have visit scheduled from at least two wings in the coming weeks

Hurt should go to a school where he would actually play like Mn because he will never be a one and done!! He simply is not that good!!

Hurt should go to a school where he would actually play like Mn because he will never be a one and done!! He simply is not that good!!

Totally agree, not a one and done. Unless he wants to get drafted in the second round

I have no opinion about whether he's as good as his ranking, but, based on ranking and reputation alone, he will play almost anywhere (except maybe Kentucky and Duke). Very, very few schools will choose to sit one of the nation's highest ranked recruits for substantial minutes per game.

I have no opinion about whether he's as good as his ranking, but, based on ranking and reputation alone, he will play almost anywhere (except maybe Kentucky and Duke). Very, very few schools will choose to sit one of the nation's highest ranked recruits for substantial minutes per game.

He would likely start at Duke next year. Carey would play the 5, Hurt the 4 and Bolden would come off the bench. At UK he would maybe start if he is better than Sestina.

Totally agree, not a one and done. Unless he wants to get drafted in the second round

Depends upon whether his weaknesses are exposed much in his freshman year. If he has a pretty good freshman year (doesn't have to be great), given his ranking, he probably would be selected in the first round if he chose to come out.

He would likely start at Duke next year. Carey would play the 5, Hurt the 4 and Bolden would come off the bench. At UK he would maybe start if he is better than Sestina.

Yeah, I don't really have the opinion that he wouldn't play a lot at KY or Duke; I just considered that those are about the only schools where a player of his stature may not play bigger minutes.

Matthew Hurt can play for anybody and everybody offensively. My question is: Is he willing to play defense? Is he so clueless just because he hasn’t been coached and drilled defensively...are his instincts just undeveloped? I have seen maybe 20 of his games...never have I seen him in a defensive stance....pretty sure he has no idea how or what that is. Is he stubbornly unwilling? The McDonalds game he embarrassed himself (hopefully) a couple of the times he attempted to defend. That’s the only reason he would not play for somebody. He is solidly elite offensively! Not too many 6’10 people are better. Is he coachable? No idea...

Btw...he can block shots stationed in front of the hoop. He will bang with anybody. That component is there to finish one part of the game.

Buzz Williams has his 4th recruit in 2 hours ! He got Gultekin tonight.

Buzz Williams has his 4th recruit in 2 hours ! He got Gultekin tonight.

Not that surprising. Gultekin and Gordon were committed to him at Virgina Tech. I see a JUCO pickup, who's the fourth? Another Virginia Tech commit?

Not that surprising. Gultekin and Gordon were committed to him at Virgina Tech. I see a JUCO pickup, who's the fourth? Another Virginia Tech commit?

A 2020 commit. The son of one of his assistants at vtech. Cashius McNeilly 4 star guard

Add: just saw he reclassified for 2019

Last edited:

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/article229269934.html

Sherfield says in article that his decision will come this week

He originally signed with UCLA, but was released from his letter of intent in the winter when coach Steve Alford was fired. Sherfield has narrowed his choices to WSU, Minnesota (led by former WSU assistant Kyle Lindsted, a longtime family friend who helped place Sherfield at Sunrise) and Wake Forest.

Sherfield has one official visit remaining but told The Eagle he doesn’t plan on using it and will likely make a final decision this week after talking with his family.

“I was really just looking to see how I would mesh with the players and to get to know Coach a lot better,” Sherfield said. “I’ve known him for about four years now, but I just wanted to talk with him some more. That conversation went very well. Coach Marshall thinks I have a chance to come in and help lead them. That’s always a good thing to hear from the head coach.”

Sophomore Dexter Dennis was Sherfield’s player host over the two days and Sherfield said the two instantly formed a bond. Whether it was playing pickup basketball or talking about life as a student-athlete, Dennis made a strong impression on Sherfield.

“He really took me under his wings and that was really cool to have him be my host,” Sherfield said. “The young core that they have coming back is phenomenal. And then they have Teddy Allen coming back too. It’s just a great young core.”

Go Gophers!!

WSU has the last visit advantage and home town advantage

Gophers have emotional senior night advantage

WF has to be out because this will probably be Manning's last season

Top Bottom