All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Send me the list and i will give you the feedback on how the fit the present staff. I will be able to offer very little in the way of where kids stand other than what so far has been said by assistant coaches or in the way family members have inquired about coaches or academics. Most of the recruiting info is held very close to the vest especially with all the extra visits now. Not always but the longer it goes the better players wait for the better programs to offer. Some smart coaches at the non blue bloods get around it by telling recruits that they are wanted but that they are not holding for anyone and they fill early. Of course that is easier to do when you have won a lot, won the conference and your laser focused on fit as opposed to ranking. I ran this little exercise for years to see where guys were ranked starting freshman year and where you would rank them after 4 years based on wins, conference titles etc.. and you would be shocked at how often guys below 75 pass 65 guys ahead of them if they pick a school, a coach who develops players over and over again.

Just taking from M. Fuller's list of players at the Iowa game: Jalen Suggs, Dawson Garcia, Dain Danja, Ben Carlson, Kerwin Walton, J'vonne Hadley, Chet Holmgren, Treyton Thompson.
Havent seen any of these guys play, am sure I'm not the only one, so would be interesting to get your take when you get a chance as someone who has experience in player evaluation.

Just taking from M. Fuller's list of players at the Iowa game: Jalen Suggs, Dawson Garcia, Dain Danja, Ben Carlson, Kerwin Walton, J'vonne Hadley, Chet Holmgren, Treyton Thompson.
Havent seen any of these guys play, am sure I'm not the only one, so would be interesting to get your take when you get a chance as someone who has experience in player evaluation.

I'm specifically curious to hear your thoughts on Kerwin Walton vs. Jvonne Hadley. Obviously, they play very differently...but they both project to be a shooting guard at the next level. Who do you think is a better player and perhaps more importanly, who would be a better fit for our program if you only took one of them.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

this is a sight for sore eyes. Looks like our new assistant coach's connections may be helping out.

Who knows what's up with these guys?

SFs

Gerald Drumgoole, 6'5" visited in Nov

Myron Gardner, 6'6"

PFs

Hurt - like it's possible, right?

David Skogman, 6' 10"

Centers

Tre Mitchell 6'9" 245

Sam Freeman, 6'8" 200

And are there any other SF or Bigs we are in on in recruiting not listed at 247?

He signed and was released from a NLI? Is he immediately eligible (I assume so)?

He signed with UCLA and then Steve Alford got fired. Incoming freshmen can be released from their NLI's in that instance. He would be eligible immediately.

Crazy that tre was recruited by Pepperdine before the gophers and is now almost a top 100

The highlight video makes him look like a Joe Coleman that is also proficient from the 3-point line. That will be nice to have on the roster. Hopefully, they didn't include all of the 3-pointers he made in that video &#55357;&#56898;

Williams is big time and to sign him we have to take his cousin as part of a package deal. Suggs will sign later so it doesn't look so obvious. :)

Not actually a cousin. In my culture we call everyone cousin.

Who knows what's up with these guys?

SFs

Gerald Drumgoole, 6'5" visited in Nov

Myron Gardner, 6'6"

PFs

Hurt - like it's possible, right?

David Skogman, 6' 10"

Centers

Tre Mitchell 6'9" 245

Sam Freeman, 6'8" 200

And are there any other SF or Bigs we are in on in recruiting not listed at 247?

Drumgoole-Visiting Pitt in February. Mentioned in an article 4 days ago that Ptt, South Carolina, Minnesota, Georgetown and Oregon are on him the hardest. Personally, when a kid visits in the early signing period, but doesn't sign I feel kind of pessimistic about that schools chances.
Gardner- Have not heard anything on him recently regarding Minnesota. Last I heard Xavier was in on him hard.

Hurt- Ryan James has been more negative on our chances on Hurt recently for what that's worth (I like Ryan not a shot at him)

Skogman- I think he's a C for Minnesota. Wisconsin has been watching him recently too and he seems like a stereotypical Badger big man to me. If the Gophers really want him, I would imagine their chances are better the earlier he decides.

Mitchell- Like Gardner, I haven't heard anything about Minnesota's involvement since the Summer circuit.

Freeman- His recruitment has finally had an uptick. He visited (or was scheduled to visit) Virginia Tech last weekend. Says he's planning a visit to Minnesota and is also considering a trip to TCU. Whether his stock is rising due to his play or the scarcity of available talent at this stage is something I don't know.

Last edited:

Drumgoole-Visiting Pitt in February. Mentioned in an article 4 days ago that Ptt, South Carolina, Minnesota, Georgetown and Oregon are on him the hardest. Personally, when a kid visits in the early signing period, but doesn't sign I feel kind of pessimistic about that schools chances.
Gardner- Have not heard anything on him recently regarding Minnesota. Last I heard Xavier was in on him hard.

Hurt- Ryan James has been more negative on our chances on Hurt recently for what that's worth (I like Ryan not a shot at him)

Skogman- I think he's a C for Minnesota. Wisconsin has been watching him recently too and he seems like a stereotypical Badger big man to me. If the Gophers really want him, I would imagine their chances are better the earlier he decides.

Mitchell- Like Gardner, I haven't heard anything about Minnesota's involvement since the Summer circuit.

Freeman- His recruitment has finally had an uptick. He visited (or was scheduled to visit) Virginia Tech last weekend. Says he's planning a visit to Minnesota and is also considering a trip to TCU. Whether his stock is rising due to his play or the scarcity of available talent at this stage is something I don't know.

This is a pretty good summary of where they're at. I would also add that there's a couple of JUCO guys, I think wing players, that Ryan has mentioned that they're interested in, but I can't remember their names.

I have a feeling that Pitino is going to hit the transfer market hard. I would like us to add a big man or 2 this spring. I don't know much about Skogman, but I am intrigued by his skill set being more of a stretch 4/5.

This is a pretty good summary of where they're at. I would also add that there's a couple of JUCO guys, I think wing players, that Ryan has mentioned that they're interested in, but I can't remember their names.

I have a feeling that Pitino is going to hit the transfer market hard. I would like us to add a big man or 2 this spring. I don't know much about Skogman, but I am intrigued by his skill set being more of a stretch 4/5.

We have 3 remaining slots right?

I think a JUCO or Grad Transfer for 1-2 slots would be good.

Exactly what I was thinking. Surprised no local schools have tried to throw him an offer or anything too.

Wanna say he signed very shortly after committing here, and I don’t think you’re allowed to recruit signed players.

The highlight video makes him look like a Joe Coleman that is also proficient from the 3-point line. That will be nice to have on the roster. Hopefully, they didn't include all of the 3-pointers he made in that video ��

I was going to say the same thing. Very similar game to Joe Coleman who I always thought would have been good for Rich P. I think he will be able to give minutes at the 3 though I worry about him defensively at that position.

why do you feel like we need to add a 2? We have Gabe, Tre, Willis, & even Carr that can play there for next season.
but I agree I would like us to add a grad transfer 4PF/C type player for next year that can for sure step in and help

edit: sardaar Calhoun is one of the JUCO's the Gophers have offered

Last edited:

In my opinion, the ideal way to fill in the 3 remaining spots is with another guard/wing, a freshman 4/5, and a grad transfer 4/5 (or Hurt as he would be a one and done guy anyways just like a grad transfer).

why do you feel like we need to add a 2? We have Gabe, Tre, Willis, & even Carr that can play there for next season.
but I agree I would like us to add a grad transfer 4PF/C type player for next year that can for sure step in and help

edit: sardaar Calhoun is one of the JUCO's the Gophers have offered

Just my opinion, but I would like to have someone else with experience on the wing once Hurt and Coffey graduate. Assuming Coffey returns, which I think he will, our depth at wing is solid next year, but it's the following year (20-21) that has me concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino looks into a transfer who has to sit out a year.

I didn't mention Sardaar Calhoun because RJ mentioned that there might be some eligibility concerns with him. One of the juco guys I think is Luka Barisic. He visited during a football game in the fall.

Just my opinion, but I would like to have someone else with experience on the wing once Hurt and Coffey graduate. Assuming Coffey returns, which I think he will, our depth at wing is solid next year, but it's the following year (20-21) that has me concerned. I wouldn't be surprised if Pitino looks into a transfer who has to sit out a year.

I didn't mention Sardaar Calhoun because RJ mentioned that there might be some eligibility concerns with him. One of the juco guys I think is Luka Barisic. He visited during a football game in the fall.

Luca Brassi is a very intimidating presence.

well I agree with you for the wing....we don't need a "2". we need a "3" for the exact reason you said.

I would rather Pitino wait so he could offer a Top 50 (Top 15 wing) recruit who can replace Coffey then us signing some 3-star guy this Spring that will unlikely develop into a Coffey-level wing

well I agree with you for the wing....we don't need a "2". we need a "3" for the exact reason you said.

well 2/3's are often interchangeable now days

Top Bottom