All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I would speculate that it's partly cosmetic - Pitino doesn't want to be shut out in fall recruiting.

If he is a good shooter, though, I'm ok with it (though you'd wonder why a 6'5" good shooter is ranked in the 300s). Or maybe he's a late bloomer or had a late growth spurt. Right now there's just not a lot of info out there about him. I've only seen one highlight video and it was really short.

Funny, I just posted in the commitment thread about Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day and then I see your post suggesting the same thing. While there isn't a ton of info out there to fans, one of my biggest concerns is that schools have a ton of info on him. He played in the EYBL and was at the Pangos All American camp this year. He finished in the bottom group of players at Pangos (they divide all the campers in to 3 All Star games at the end of the camp and he ended up in the bottom one to be fair so did some highly rated kids) and obviously everyone saw him play in the EYBL all Spring and Summer. He even played his first few years of high school ball at The Colony in Texas which is a very well known High School. Despite all that exposure, he looked headed to Pepperdine before the Gophers got involved with him at the last minute.

Funny, I just posted in the commitment thread about Pitino wanting to avoid the embarrassment of being shut out on signing day and then I see your post suggesting the same thing. While there isn't a ton of info out there to fans, one of my biggest concerns is that schools have a ton of info on him. He played in the EYBL and was at the Pangos All American camp this year. He finished in the bottom group of players at Pangos (they divide all the campers in to 3 All Star games at the end of the camp and he ended up in the bottom one to be fair so did some highly rated kids) and obviously everyone saw him play in the EYBL all Spring and Summer. He even played his first few years of high school ball at The Colony in Texas which is a very well known High School. Despite all that exposure, he looked headed to Pepperdine before the Gophers got involved with him at the last minute.

Of course, you guys are brilliant. Pitino knows he will never see the court, but at least Pitino won’t be embarrassed by not having a recruit by the signing date! Because every one knows that the only thing that matters in D1 recruiting is to get quantity and not quality.
Get real, just because you don’t know anything doesn’t mean that the coaches are reaching for players. There were other D1 schools reaching out to him.

Welcome Tre!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe,,,Just maybe...

They are leaving the door open for Matt Hurt to bring someone with him? Someone he enjoyed playing with or against in one of the many elite camps he attended. That is my “glass half full” thought.

Well, at least he looks "jacked" in the yellow uniform. This reminds me of the guy we brought in the same year as Isaiah. Let's hope we are all wrong.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Kobe make the right decision and come north!

Tre's Mom:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

TUCLA, Texas, Indiana, etc...quite amusing.

I would be quite proud of my son if he were to get letters / interest / coaches watching his games / etc. from all those schools. I'm guessing you would be too. So, don't be a knob.

Go Gophers!!

It's Kansas State for Kpegeol.

Dearon Seabron who visited the Gophers a few weeks ago had this to say from a Rivals.com interview about the visit...…Minnesota: “I wasn’t a big fan of the weather there but the visit went really well. I am looking into them.”

not the best wording for him to use to give me much confidence in our chances. He is deciding in the spring. Has most recently been offered a scholarship by Georgia & Temple.

looks like he also got a pretty good ratings boost recently?

reading the acticle my gut tells me that while he would be an awesome get. and he seems to be able to play both the 1 & 2 at his length. he seems to be looking at getting some heavy minutes as a freshman. And looking at the gophers for next year with Gabe, Coffey, IW, Carr, & Willis. we probably wont have a ton of minutes to offer him early on

If Seabron is watching our PG play, he may be thinking he'd get plenty of run with Minnesota. Just saying.

If Seabron is watching our PG play, he may be thinking he'd get plenty of run with Minnesota. Just saying.

yeah maybe, but probably not knowing we have Carr becoming available next year. and who knows what happens from here till spring. maybe Coffey blows up and enters the draft. maybe IW gets sick of his playing time and bolts, maybe IW finally settles into the PG spot and we no longer worry about the position.

I suppose its way to early to make any assumptions on this. was just my gut feeling

Well, to be fair the weather in Minnesota isn't for everyone...

Reading that recruiting article, I give us a 10% chance at best. However, I’m not crazy about him as it indicates that shooting is not a strong point of his. If he is going to be a combo guard for us, he needs to be a good shooter. We already have one PG that can’t shoot. We don’t need two. With Carr and IW (Carr getting 30+ minutes), I say we wait until 2020 to add another PG unless we get in on a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reading that recruiting article, I give us a 10% chance at best. However, I’m not crazy about him as it indicates that shooting is not a strong point of his. If he is going to be a combo guard for us, he needs to be a good shooter. We already have one PG that can’t shoot. We don’t need two. With Carr and IW (Carr getting 30+ minutes), I say we wait until 2020 to add another PG unless we get in on a better player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's listed as 6'4" or 6'5", so presumably he could play off the ball too.

Evan Daniels: Minnesota signee Tre Williams makes statement at Hoopsgiving

Minnesota signee Tre Williams made a statement this weekend at the Holiday Hoopsgiving, leading Mt. Pleasant (Utah) Wasatch Academy to a pair of wins.

In two games, Williams, a 6-foot-4, pushing 6-5 guard, scored 41 points on 15-for-27 shooting, including 6-for-12 from the three-point stripe. He also added six assists and five steals in the two contests.

“I think I played solid,” Williams said. “I had two back to back good games, but I still think I can get better, hit more shots and I had a couple of turnovers I shouldn’t have had late in the game. I think I could have been better, but overall we got two wins so it was a good weekend.”

Williams flew under the radar during the summer playing for a loaded Drive Nation team in the EYBL circuit. For that team, Williams played the role of defensive stopper and took a backseat to a handful of top 50 recruits in the scoring department.

While Williams’ role is certainly bigger for Wasatch Academy, he’s also shown significant improvement.

“On my summer team there’s a lot of four stars and five stars and a lot of guys that like to take a bunch of shots, and I’m not a guy that needs to take a bunch of shots to feel good,” Williams said. “I just want to win.”

“If my role on the team is to take less shots and be more of an assist guy and defensive guy then that’s fine with me,” he added. “I came out here and my coach gives me the greenlight and the confidence to do what I need to do to help us win.”

Williams said he’s spent a considerable amount of time working on his jump shot the past few months and that’s led to increased confidence.

“Coach [Dave] Evans came in and turned the whole program around,” he said. “We get a lot more shots up in practice and work on our shots a lot more. I feel more confident in my shooting.”

While Williams is showing progress as a scorer and shot maker, Williams said among his biggest strengths is his competitiveness.

“I just feel like I’m a dog,” he said. “I’m a both sides of the ball player. I’m a dog. I can score it, but at the same time I can lock up the other team’s best player. Overall, I feel like I’m a leader.”

Williams’ style of plays fits well at Minnesota, where he signed with last week.

“More than excited,” Williams said when asked about Minnesota. “They came in late in my recruitment, it was big time. Coach [Richard] Pitino and coach [Rob] Jeter came on me heavy and it was just a blessing from God."

https://247sports.com/college/baske...s-statement-at-Holiday-Hoopsgiving-125318596/

Go Gophers!!

I am curious where we are with recruiting a week after signing day... We got a wing player to go with a deep bench at that position, as we got Coffey, Klauscher, Willis, Hurt, and now Williams at the two and three positions...

I want to know how Pitino plans to replace Jordan Murphy... Oturu looks like a solid starting Center, but we do have a hole at PF, as Omersa is really raw and likely not a quality starter in this league... Obviously, the wild card is Eric Curry, but Curry seems capable of playing the 5 position as well as the 4. Curry definitely has the range to play PF... Regardless, I would think the biggest hole on the roster is PF...

Do we have any sights on a PF for the 2019 class?

Last edited:

I want to know how Pitino plans to replace Jordan Murphy...

I'm sure he'd love to have another guy come in and be one of the best statistical players in Gopher history...not really sure how you want him to just replace him. I get you mean a power forward in general but Murphy's don't just come here.

I'm sure he'd love to have another guy come in and be one of the best statistical players in Gopher history...not really sure how you want him to just replace him. I get you mean a power forward in general but Murphy's don't just come here.

3* undersized hustle players? Yes they do.

I am curious where we are with recruiting a week after signing day... We got a wing player to go with a deep bench at that position, as we got Coffey, Klauscher, Willis, Hurt, and now Williams at the two and three positions...

I want to know how Pitino plans to replace Jordan Murphy... Oturu looks like a solid starting Center, but we do have a hole at PF, as Omersa is really raw and likely not a quality starter in this league... Obviously, the wild card is Eric Curry, but Curry seems capable of playing the 5 position as well as the 4. Curry definitely has the range to play PF... Regardless, I would think the biggest hole on the roster is PF...

Do we have any sights on a PF for the 2019 class?

I'd argue center is a bigger need for 2019. The 2020 class in MN is pretty stacked at PF, so if we don't get one in this class, we'll have a good shot at landing a good one in the next one.

3* undersized hustle players? Yes they do.

So you're good if they get any 3* undersized hustle player to replace Murphy? I wish you were head of recruiting, you'd be so good. Just because Murphy was an 3* undersized hustle player doesn't mean all of them can be transformed in Jordan Murphy. He will be the #1 rebounder and #2 or 3 scorer in team history. But yeah, lets just get any 3 star to replace him, I'm sure that'll be good.

I'd argue center is a bigger need for 2019. The 2020 class in MN is pretty stacked at PF, so if we don't get one in this class, we'll have a good shot at landing a good one in the next one.

Isn't Stockman back next year?

Edit: Nevermind... I thought Stockman redshirted his freshman season at Louisville

Last edited:

Top Bottom