All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Carr is a very good player but was not the best player on the floor. Coffey, Murph were better and even to this day people are sleeping on Gabe.
Agreed if Carr is on Gabe's level on both ends of the court, Gophs will be just fine

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Gophers out of the mix for TAMU-CC grad transfer Kareem South

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hmm, there was talk we reached out to him, but it sure doesn’t sound as though that was successful. I’m still waiting for good news on the high school kid we just hosted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Marcus:

Isaiah Ihnen, the top recruit in the Gophers’ 2019 class, was named Thursday to the German national team to play in the FIBA European U20 Championship this summer in Tel Aviv.

Ihnen was grateful for the selection, but he told the Star Tribune he might not play in the event scheduled for July 13-21. The 6-foot-9, 210-pound forward's top priority is to join the Gophers as soon as he can.

“I’m not sure if I’m going to play,” he said about the German U20 national team. “Rather go to campus earlier.”

Fellow incoming freshmen Tre’ Williams and Sam Freeman are expected to arrive in the Twin Cities around June 10 to get ready for summer school. Also joining them will be Drexel graduate transfer Alihan Demir, who will be a senior next season.

Figuring out when Ihnen will be back in the U.S. for college is a bit more complex. He'll remain in Germany training until the U’s compliance office gets his visa and final grades. That's standard procedure with foreign recruits. The Gophers are just hopeful the process goes smoothly.

“We’re huge in Germany,” Pitino joked this week. “He was someone where we scouted early. Really, really talented. I really believe if he were going to high school in the states he’s probably a top 50, top 75 recruit. We need a versatile wing. We got that. He’s somebody who is going to be a terrific player down the road. Loves basketball. High, High ceiling. So, we’re excited to get him on campus.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-play-for-german-u20-national-team/510386072/

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Pitino talked at the Gophers coaches caravan this week about still trying to add to his 2019 recruiting class, which ranks fourth in the Big Ten by 247Sports.com. Minnesota has one scholarship remaining for next season, but it could be two. Junior guard Amir Coffey has until next Wednesday's deadline to remove his name from the NBA draft. No decision has been made yet.

“From a recruiting standpoint, kids want to come in and play right away,” Pitino said. “So, when you have that uncertainty if a guy is coming or going … if Amir comes back, he’s obviously going to play a lot. So as a coach you’ve got to be patient. A lot of us are going through it. We’re not the only ones that are dealing with it right now.”

-- New Hampton School (N.H.) guard Mika Adams-Woods, who visited the Gophers a couple weeks ago, is looking for a program where he can play major minutes right away in the backcourt. He has an official visit scheduled for Cincinnati next Monday through Wednesday. A decision for the three-star fifth-year senior and New York native could come after that.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-play-for-german-u20-national-team/510386072/

Go Gophers!!

Worth noting that Jarron Cumberland is returning to Cincy. Might affect Mika Adams Woods (not sure if I spelled that correctly) decision.

Any idea what his timeline is once he visits Cincy? That's his last visit right?

Any idea what his timeline is once he visits Cincy? That's his last visit right?

I think that is right but I can only count 3 in Gophers, Nebraska, and Cincy.

I’d think fairly soon especially once Coffey confirms either way.

Worth noting that Jarron Cumberland is returning to Cincy. Might affect Mika Adams Woods (not sure if I spelled that correctly) decision.

Its got to be a significant factor. Guy is a shooting guard who averaged 18.8 points last year..

Its got to be a significant factor. Guy is a shooting guard who averaged 18.8 points last year..

It looks like Cincinatti is graduating two senior guards who played significant minutes (Justin Jenifer, 26.1 mpg and Cane Broome, 21.2 mpg). Their two players who logged the most minutes are returning, both rising junior and senior guards Jarron Cumberland (32.5 mpg and Tre Scott (30.6 mpg) as well as a Keith Williams, a former 4 star rising junior who had a breakout year and played 25.8 mpg.

To put it into perspective, the Gophers are losing Dupree McBrayer (31.9 mpg), Isaiah Washington (16.1 mpg, although this is not weighted by all those DNP's), and Brock Stull (10.2 mpg).

Seems like his chances at PT are probably fairly similar for the Gophers or Cinci.

It looks like Cincinatti is graduating two senior guards who played significant minutes (Justin Jenifer, 26.1 mpg and Cane Broome, 21.2 mpg). Their two players who logged the most minutes are returning, both rising junior and senior guards Jarron Cumberland (32.5 mpg and Tre Scott (30.6 mpg) as well as a Keith Williams, a former 4 star rising junior who had a breakout year and played 25.8 mpg.

To put it into perspective, the Gophers are losing Dupree McBrayer (31.9 mpg), Isaiah Washington (16.1 mpg, although this is not weighted by all those DNP's), and Brock Stull (10.2 mpg).

Seems like his chances at PT are probably fairly similar for the Gophers or Cinci.

Are you assuming Coffey comes back? His 40 minutes per game were primarily as a guard.

Are you assuming Coffey comes back? His 40 minutes per game were primarily as a guard.

I just left him out since he is an unknown right now, but assuming he comes back. If he doesn't come back then you would think that makes us pretty tempting since that is a lot of minutes gone.

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

Pitino is optimistic about his incoming recruiting class and said it’s been ranked as high as fourth best in the Big Ten. Among those getting attention is Isaiah Ihnen from Germany who is ranked a top 100 player. “I think if Isaiah were in the States he would probably be more like a top 50 recruit,” Pitino said. “That’s how talented he is.”

The Gophers have one more scholarship available for next season and speculation is it could go to North Texas transfer Ryan Woolridge, a guard who as a junior averaged 11.7 points, six rebounds and five assists last season. He would be expected to provide immediate impact next fall.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Gophers add point guard depth with three-star Florida senior Bryan Greenlee

Looking to add point guard depth for next season, the Gophers landed a commitment Thursday night from three-star 2019 Florida point guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee.

Greenlee, a 6-foot senior from the Rock School in Gainesville, Fla., had one other Power Five scholarship offer from Iowa last summer, but he also visited Cincinnati and considered Old Dominion.

Greenlee was named the Gainesville Sun's Co-Player of the Year for small schools in Florida after leading the Rock to its second Sunshine Independent Athletic Association state title. He averaged 13.7 points, 7.3 assists, 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals last season.

“He’s had a great high school career,” The Rock coach Justin Harden said. “Minnesota is getting a kid who is going to be really tough. He looks the part. He’s 6-feet and 185-190 pounds. He looks like a defensive back. He plays the game the right way. He’s a student of the game and really balanced player. He’ll provide consistency and leadership.”

Greenlee started on the varsity for three seasons and helped his team win 134 games. As a sophomore, he played alongside current Penn State starting guard Jamari Wheeler, who was one of the best defenders for the Nittany Lions last season. That’s also a strength for Greenlee.

“He’s a phenomenal on-ball defender, picking up guys 94 feet,” Harden said. “That was one of the main things with coach (Richard) Pitino that we talked about is just him being able to come off the bench the first year and just being able to use his athleticism to cause havoc and being a spark on the defensive end.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...star-florida-senior-bryan-greenlee/511273412/

Go Gophers!!

The official release from the U:

Gophers Sign Greenlee for Upcoming Season

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Friday the addition of 6-foot guard Bryan "BJ" Greenlee. The Gainesville, Fla., native and senior at the Rock School will join the team this summer in preparation for the 2019-20 season.

"We are excited about the addition of BJ," Pitino said. "He's played at the highest level and succeeded his whole high school career. He's a fierce competitor and a great kid. BJ is a winner. Our program got a lot better today."

A three-year starter and star for the Lions, Greenlee earned Co-Player of the Year honors from the Gainesville Sun. He averaged 13.7 points and 7.3 assists per game as he helped lead his team to a Sunshine Independent Athletic Association title, also contributing 4.2 rebounds and 2.5 steals in 2018-19. Greenlee is rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.

Greenlee is the fifth signee in the Class of 2019 for the Maroon and Gold, joining rising freshmen Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas/Northwest HS), Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany/IBA Munich) and Tre' Williams (Dallas, Texas/Wasatch Academy [Utah]) along with graduate transfer Alihan Demir (Ankara, Turkey/Ari College/Drexel).

Go Gophers!!

per Marcus:

Q: What was it like waiting this long to make a commitment but still being able to play in the Big Ten?

A: It was just so relieving and such excitement to finally get the process over. It was big time. It was definitely big time. It’s actually been a really short process. They contacted me about two weeks ago. They were interested. They saw me play AAU awhile ago recruiting two kids from my team. So, they already had a feel for my game. That’s why they were more comfortable offering me without seeing me in person and working me out.

Q: What did the Gophers tell you about why they were recruiting you right now?

A: Two weeks ago, I spoke with (Gophers assistant Kyle) Lindsted a lot. He was just pushing for me. He wanted me up there. I spoke with Coach (Richard) Pitino a little bit trying to build a relationship. I guess they were waiting on a commitment from another player (North Texas graduate transfer Ryan Woolridge). He was taking too long or uncertain. So, they decided to extend me the offer. It was just an opportunity I couldn’t pass up. I told them I was ready to come as soon as possible. They already started summer workouts and class starts Monday. It was definitely a quick process. The offer came (last Wednesday). If it was earlier in the season and I had more time to wait things might be different. But at this point, I’m just ready to settle down somewhere and call Minnesota home for the next four years.

Q: How familiar were you of the Gophers before they started recruiting you this summer?

A: I actually followed Minnesota a little bit when Nate Mason was there. He played in the same conference as me in high school. He came from ACD in the SIAA. I came from The Rock in the SIAA also. I got to watch him play in high school. I’m also familiar with teams in the Big Ten. A former teammate of mine (Jamari Wheeler) graduated from The Rock and plays for Penn State. I watch some of his games. I’m looking forward to going at him this season and anyone else.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...mer-u-star-nate-mason/511420992/?refresh=true

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom