All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Top 4 highest rating average in the B1G, before Hurt commits...

I can only imagine the back pedaling on this thread if and when Hurt stays home. Every target that's announced not to the Gophers has made it even clearer that they're 100 percent all-in on Hurt, and they have been since Michael signed. The fact that he's revealed nothing, not even official visits, makes me think he's giving it very serious thought. Kansas is and should still be the favorite unless we're told otherwise, but to have it be October and not even have a hint yet of where his head is at is weird.

I can only imagine the back pedaling on this thread if and when Hurt stays home. Every target that's announced not to the Gophers has made it even clearer that they're 100 percent all-in on Hurt, and they have been since Michael signed. The fact that he's revealed nothing, not even official visits, makes me think he's giving it very serious thought. Kansas is and should still be the favorite unless we're told otherwise, but to have it be October and not even have a hint yet of where his head is at is weird.

Not so weird for such a highly ranked player. The last several years there are more and more of the one and done types of recruits who wait until spring to decide. They have that luxury and can weigh their options after the previous year's one and dones decide on the pros. I have no idea whether Matthew has indicated when he will decide, but it won't surprise me a bit if he waits until spring. My gut tells me if it were the Gophers, he would have announced by now, but stranger things have happened I suppose.

Not so weird for such a highly ranked player. The last several years there are more and more of the one and done types of recruits who wait until spring to decide. They have that luxury and can weigh their options after the previous year's one and dones decide on the pros. I have no idea whether Matthew has indicated when he will decide, but it won't surprise me a bit if he waits until spring. My gut tells me if it were the Gophers, he would have announced by now, but stranger things have happened I suppose.
I think he wants to wait and see how this year goes. Seems like the Hurts like Pitino, but a bad season will more likely than not terminate Pitino's employment and a new coach would probably affect Michael as well. Especially if he can graduate in three years. I would say no chance if he commits in the fall, but a good season, with a good core coming back and I think we get him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Have thought all along he was coming here. Nearly all of that is wanting to play with his brother. No brother no chance. He will say he wanted to play for his home state, play for Pitino but the ace is his brother. If it was coach or program based he would pick KU,UK OR Duke.

Have thought all along he was coming here. Nearly all of that is wanting to play with his brother. No brother no chance. He will say he wanted to play for his home state, play for Pitino but the ace is his brother. If it was coach or program based he would pick KU,UK OR Duke.

That’s a weak take. Probably true. Just weak. What point are you making? That the middling big 10 team couldn’t put recruit a blue blood top 5 program for a top recruit?

That’s a weak take. Probably true. Just weak. What point are you making? That the middling big 10 team couldn’t put recruit a blue blood top 5 program for a top recruit?

That he will pick to play for the Gophers and why. You can think it is weak but i will not grade or attack a post. Each person has a opinion and that is why a board works. Exactly why the only point of your post is fine, that in your opinion my take is weak. Thanks, you contributed to the forum.

I think he wants to wait and see how this year goes. Seems like the Hurts like Pitino, but a bad season will more likely than not terminate Pitino's employment and a new coach would probably affect Michael as well. Especially if he can graduate in three years. I would say no chance if he commits in the fall, but a good season, with a good core coming back and I think we get him.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Not much risk then. Teams generally let guys out of their commitments if they fire the coach.

Junior college standout Sardaar Calhoun wants to visit Gophers after catching Pitino's eye

Gophers assistant coach Kyle Lindsted was so impressed by Sardaar Calhoun watching a Missouri State-West Plains scrimmage last month that he told him Richard Pitino would be coming back ASAP.

Pitino showed up about a week later to catch the 6-foot-6, 205-pound freshman guard dominate in a glorified pickup game, drilling jumpers, attacking the rim and locking down his opponents defensively. A Minnesota scholarship offer followed for Calhoun, his first offer since arriving in West Plains in August.

An official visit could be scheduled soon for Calhoun, as well.

“It was really exciting,” Calhoun said. “Right after Coach Pitino was surprised how good I was he told me that he thinks I have a chance to play right away (in the Big Ten) if I keep working hard.”

Calhoun’s recruitment since high school graduation is only in the infant stages, but he hopes to schedule an official visit with the Gophers some time in October, he told the Star Tribune this week.

“It’s kind of coming at me really fast,” he said. “But hopefully, I can take at least one visit before the season starts. Most definitely, Minnesota.”

With four scholarships for the 2019 recruiting class, Pitino and his staff aren’t limiting their search to the high school prospects. Why not add some maturity to the group. Calhoun, an all-state player at Blue Ridge High School in Virginia. his senior year, will be a 19-year-old sophomore next season with three years of eligibility remaining for a Division I school.

Out of high school, Calhoun had the opportunity to pick from a number of mid-major D-I programs. Virginia Tech also wanted him for a period. Still, not having enough high-major offers turned his attention toward spending a year gaining more exposure in junior college.

“I decided to go to junior college, because I thought I could show more of my game,” he said. “People saw me as just a shooter and not an (all-around) guard. This summer, I’ve been really working on my game and gained a lot of muscle.”

Missouri State-West Plains head coach Chris Popp called Calhoun the strongest player on his basketball team after only a couple months with the program. Calhoun’ bench presses 260 pounds.

“If Minnesota had gotten him this year, I think he could help them as a freshman,” Popp said. “He’s 6-6 with a great body. He has the tools, skills and good feel for the game to already be able to play at that level. He hates the statement, but he’s a ‘shooter first.’ At times, he turns down shots to prove otherwise. But he can really, really shoot it. Elevates on his shot. Releases very high. Gets it off quickly. Has the ability to create space. He’s quick and athletic enough that he can get it off at any time. He’s not reached his potential and has a lot of room to improve, but he’s ready to go.”

http://www.startribune.com/junior-c...ophers-after-catching-pitino-s-eye/495085281/

Go Gophers!!

Junior college standout Sardaar Calhoun wants to visit Gophers after catching Pitino's eye

Gophers assistant coach Kyle Lindsted was so impressed by Sardaar Calhoun watching a Missouri State-West Plains scrimmage last month that he told him Richard Pitino would be coming back ASAP.

Pitino showed up about a week later to catch the 6-foot-6, 205-pound freshman guard dominate in a glorified pickup game, drilling jumpers, attacking the rim and locking down his opponents defensively. A Minnesota scholarship offer followed for Calhoun, his first offer since arriving in West Plains in August.

An official visit could be scheduled soon for Calhoun, as well.

“It was really exciting,” Calhoun said. “Right after Coach Pitino was surprised how good I was he told me that he thinks I have a chance to play right away (in the Big Ten) if I keep working hard.”

Calhoun’s recruitment since high school graduation is only in the infant stages, but he hopes to schedule an official visit with the Gophers some time in October, he told the Star Tribune this week.

“It’s kind of coming at me really fast,” he said. “But hopefully, I can take at least one visit before the season starts. Most definitely, Minnesota.”

With four scholarships for the 2019 recruiting class, Pitino and his staff aren’t limiting their search to the high school prospects. Why not add some maturity to the group. Calhoun, an all-state player at Blue Ridge High School in Virginia. his senior year, will be a 19-year-old sophomore next season with three years of eligibility remaining for a Division I school.

Out of high school, Calhoun had the opportunity to pick from a number of mid-major D-I programs. Virginia Tech also wanted him for a period. Still, not having enough high-major offers turned his attention toward spending a year gaining more exposure in junior college.

“I decided to go to junior college, because I thought I could show more of my game,” he said. “People saw me as just a shooter and not an (all-around) guard. This summer, I’ve been really working on my game and gained a lot of muscle.”

Missouri State-West Plains head coach Chris Popp called Calhoun the strongest player on his basketball team after only a couple months with the program. Calhoun’ bench presses 260 pounds.

“If Minnesota had gotten him this year, I think he could help them as a freshman,” Popp said. “He’s 6-6 with a great body. He has the tools, skills and good feel for the game to already be able to play at that level. He hates the statement, but he’s a ‘shooter first.’ At times, he turns down shots to prove otherwise. But he can really, really shoot it. Elevates on his shot. Releases very high. Gets it off quickly. Has the ability to create space. He’s quick and athletic enough that he can get it off at any time. He’s not reached his potential and has a lot of room to improve, but he’s ready to go.”

http://www.startribune.com/junior-c...ophers-after-catching-pitino-s-eye/495085281/

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if we are waiting on a decision from that kid from MD, Yavez, before scheduling a visit for Calhoun.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

obviously there will be more guys that we don't know about that we are in on....but maybe others more in the know will have a better idea. but here are the names that I can think of that we are "in" on

Matthew Hurt SF/PF
David Roddy SF/PF
Yavuz Gultekin SF
Sardarr Calhoun SG
Dereon Seabron SG
Tyson Etienne PG
Sam Freeman C ??

anybody else have maybe a more complete list?

Jamal Mashburn JR supposedly had a visit this weekend, according to 247

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of a recruit Ed Conroy has reeled in during his 2 years on staff.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Found an article while looking up more info on him Seabron. Seems he's doing a year of prep school or whatever it's called, and would be a 19 year old freshman at the start of the 2019-20 season. Had a handful of mid-major offers out of high school, but decided to do the extra year to try to get more recognition and earn better offers.

Another somewhat interesting quote:

“Massanutten is going to let me play point guard next year,” Seabron said. “And that’s where I want to play.”

6'6" would be a pretty big point guard. A guy who's a year older than most of his peers, is tall for his position, and can handle, score, and rebound sounds kind of interesting, though maybe I'm being misled by high school stats. I feel like Michael Hurt and Josh Martin had some pretty nice-looking high school stats too. 247 lists an offer from SMU in addition to us, VCU, and the mid-majors mentioned earlier.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/high...cle_044906a8-6136-11e8-b84e-a748a9553134.html

Found an article while looking up more info on him Seabron. Seems he's doing a year of prep school or whatever it's called, and would be a 19 year old freshman at the start of the 2019-20 season. Had a handful of mid-major offers out of high school, but decided to do the extra year to try to get more recognition and earn better offers.

Another somewhat interesting quote:

6'6" would be a pretty big point guard. A guy who's a year older than most of his peers, is tall for his position, and can handle, score, and rebound sounds kind of interesting, though maybe I'm being misled by high school stats. I feel like Michael Hurt and Josh Martin had some pretty nice-looking high school stats too. 247 lists an offer from SMU in addition to us, VCU, and the mid-majors mentioned earlier.

https://pilotonline.com/sports/high...cle_044906a8-6136-11e8-b84e-a748a9553134.html

This is a profile of a guy who could have his recruiting blow up in the spring when teams figure out immediate needs for the following year. A big guard who can shoot and handle the ball has to meet a need for a lot of teams, but probably some shortcoming the big boys don't want to deal with in the first wave of recruiting.

MN Rivals reports that Kobe Brown 6-7 2019 wing is visiting as well.

I remember Hurt tweeting at him when Brown got his offer...may be one to keep an eye on. He’s a bit like Roddy in that he’s a 3/4 tweener but probably more of a natural basketball player than David is. You could see why he trailed off in the rankings however. He has a skilled stretch 4’s game but is undersized and probably too slow footed to guard wings. Definitely an interesting prospect though.

I am intrigued by Seabron. I found an article on Twitter that I haven't been able to locate again where his coach at Massanutten listed a number of high major offers for him and mentioned that more schools were in to see him. His various highlights on YouTube are interesting in that he does show a nice handle, but nearly all his scoring is in the paint and he appeared to be the tallest guy on his HS roster (player of the year in Virginia in class 4A). He certainly needed to get stronger, but I'd be interested to see what his shot look likes. I do wonder if the Gophers really want him whether or not they can beat out VCU for him giving that he's a Virginia kid who also his doing his prep school year in his home state. To answer a question from WindyCityGopher, Seaborn would be the first commitment where Ed Conroy was the lead recruiter. In fact, I don't remember a visit from anyone who he was the lead recruiter on.

Not sure what to make of Brown, even in his highlight videos, it looks like he needs to get in better shape. Good athlete, but not a great one. The comparison to Roddy is an interesting one, I do see a much better chance of Brown playing the 3 than Roddy. Brown certainly has better schools interested in him (just coming off a visit to Texas A&M), so I am probably missing something on him.

Top Bottom