All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Fleck just let another in-state guy get away to Iowa State the other day FYI. That's three in one class!

rated as a fringe 2/3 star....the same people that whine that he missed out on him would be the same people that whine if he got him.... if fleck is supposed to be such a great recruiter why is he taking a commitment from such a low ranked player

in todays world....if you aint whining you aint living

rated as a fringe 2/3 star....the same people that whine that he missed out on him would be the same people that whine if he got him.... if fleck is supposed to be such a great recruiter why is he taking a commitment from such a low ranked player

Amen. Thanks for the reminder.

Seems like a bit of a double standard. There's been in-state players here we didn't show much interest in/didn't even offer because they weren't highly-rated, weren't a great fit for us, etc. and he's labeled as a "lazy" recruiter. How come it doesn't go the other way? Forget this Zenzen, what about the "highly rated" QB and DB that are going to Iowa State as well?

It's a more a shot at Abram and his statement on lazy recruiting and that we have zero in-state kids.

FWIW, I actually agree with you in all seriousness but I'm calling out the double standard more than anything.

Seems like a bit of a double standard. There's been in-state players here we didn't show much interest in/didn't even offer because they weren't highly-rated, weren't a great fit for us, etc. and he's labeled as a "lazy" recruiter. How come it doesn't go the other way? Forget this Zenzen, what about the "highly rated" QB and DB that are going to Iowa State as well?

It's a more a shot at Abram and his statement on lazy recruiting and that we have zero in-state kids.

FWIW, I actually agree with you in all seriousness but I'm calling out the double standard more than anything.

haha well that's my point....its always a double standard.....I wasn't questioning you...I was just working off what you said....

The double standard exists because in basketball one recruit can make all the difference, add Nnaji to the mix and Coffey comes back and next years team might be in the top 4 in the B1G or even competing for the title.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

A nice weather day for a visit. Here's hoping he commits today so we can say we got the player we wanted, instead of that other recruit that we told to go elsewhere.

I do not believe that the end justifies the means. I want great results, but not at any cost. I do believe in core values, and that you can win with a program that has a strong moral compass. So, I do believe that more than results matter. Great results and ethical leadership are not mutually exclusive.

To bring context to my response you were referencing, I was saying that “Abrams” has every right to debate results, but that he really has no way of knowing the approach Pitino is using which he said he doesn’t like.

Agreed!

Any news on Demir and Ihnen?

Looks like Ihnen is only starting his visit today. Fuller tweeted he will be on campus today and tomorrow. So hopefully we hear good news with him tomorrow!!!

Sounds like either Demir will commit soon or he'll decide to do some other visits.

More for 2020 but still applies for 19. Next fews days are campus and in home visits. This coming weekend is the only live spring period for evals. Then with the new rules it is all the way to July for the next one, the last one. Elite camps on campus are ever more critical. Will see a ton of early's and new offers.

Very insightful news here.

:)

I wonder if A) Demir is waiting to see if Ihnen, also a stretch PF, commits or
B) if Pitino is slow playing him to get Ihnen's commitment first. I don't think one should affect the other but you never know what a recruit is thinking.

Personally, I would love to see them get both as I think it would be perfect for short and long term needs AND Ihnen might also be able to play some at the 3 if Coffey doesn't return. However, for the program, I think that the Ihnen signing is bigger, even though we probably need Demir more for the coming year.

Ihnen is the better bigger need for the long term. Demir or Juiston would be the immediate need if Curry is unable to fully recover.

:)

I wonder if A) Demir is waiting to see if Ihnen, also a stretch PF, commits or
B) if Pitino is slow playing him to get Ihnen's commitment first. I don't think one should affect the other but you never know what a recruit is thinking.

Personally, I would love to see them get both as I think it would be perfect for short and long term needs AND Ihnen might also be able to play some at the 3 if Coffey doesn't return. However, for the program, I think that the Ihnen signing is bigger, even though we probably need Demir more for the coming year.

Unless it were a top 50 recruit like Nnaji or Hurt, I'd be very surprised if a HS recruit had impact on the decision of a soon to be 5th year grad transfer.

per Marcus:

Ihnen, who visited Texas Christian over the weekend, said that Pitino and Minnesota's coaching staff was able to keep him from signing with TCU with a great sales pitch on his potential position with the Gophers.

"I'll have the opportunity to start," Ihnen said. "They would use me as a wing, but as my skills evolve maybe even as a guard, similar to (Amir) Coffey. (Pitino’s) not afraid to play me at PG. He already did it with Coffey.”

The Gophers could use Ihnen next season as a forward, but down the line they hope he could become more like a taller and longer version of Coffey, a 6-8 junior floor leader who led the Gophers in scoring and assists this year.

“I could have a big opportunity to have the ball in my hands,” Ihnen said the Gophers told him. “I’ll be used on the perimeter and occasionally in the post to make use of mismatches.”

Ihnen, who first told 247Sports.com's Evan Daniels about his commitment late Tuesday afternoon, is an up-and-coming 19-year-old prospect at Germany’s International Basketball Academy of Munich (IBAM). He had early scholarship offers from Tennessee and Stanford, but Ihnen narrowed his decision to the Horned Frogs and Gophers after they made him a priority this spring.

Daniels tweeted Tuesday that Ihnen has moved up to four-star status and No. 89 in 247Sports.com's 2019 rankings, which makes him the top recruit in Pitino's incoming class. The class also includes four-star Wasatch Academy (Utah) guard Tre' Williams and three-star 6-10 Northwest (Texas) center Sam Freeman.

“Isaiah has good size, length and athleticism for a versatile forward,” Daniels told the Star Tribune. “I think he’s a multi-positional defender who plays hard. He’s a good athlete. He’s able to stretch the floor a little – and there’s a lot of upside here. I think he can be a mismatch problem. With his physical tools, he’s a really good prospect.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...rospect-isaiah-ihnen-to-2019-class/508968842/

Go Gophers!!

Doogie chimes in:

Go Gophers!!

I’m reading that as have patience, unlikely to be major impact player early like I’ve seen some predict. Ideally he’s the backup 3 learning from Cold Brew for a year. 5-10 mins max. If he shoots well plays some more minutes with Coffey running point or as a stretch four or zone buster.

I’m reading that as have patience, unlikely to be major impact player early like I’ve seen some predict. Ideally he’s the backup 3 learning from Cold Brew for a year. 5-10 mins max. If he shoots well plays some more minutes with Coffey running point or as a stretch four or zone buster.
Yeah to me I think he is competing with Hurt for minutes. But if he really is a top 100 prospect, you’d think he’d be able to contribute right away

I agree with you, and like I said last week, ideally Coffey comes back and we also can land a soilid grad transfer big and Ihnen can ease into things for a year....but at the same time give us a few minutes at both the 3 & 4...he is versatile when it comes to positions so I think that will help him see the floor and if he proves himself to be an effective shooter I think he can help this team next year for sure

i imagine a line up of Carr, Gabe, Coffey, Ihnen, & Oturu in short spurts as a different look...especially when playing teams without a bullish PF and/or teams that try to sit in a zone...

but i really like this get....now lets go get a grad transfer PF & a grad transfer guard and get this season going!!

Yeah to me I think he is competing with Hurt for minutes. But if he really is a top 100 prospect, you’d think he’d be able to contribute right away

Depends on how much of that rating is based on potential. There's a difference between being a top 100 player and top 100 prospect. You're right that most 4-stars are ready to contribute right away though. Hopefully he is too.

Top Bottom