All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

WSU has the last visit advantage and home town advantage

Gophers have emotional senior night advantage

WF has to be out because this will probably be Manning's last season

Tough one. Big Ten should be an advantage. The good news is that he didn't commit while at WSU. Hope we get him! As far as rosters go, if Coffey returns- ours is better. They are losing their top two scorers off of a 22-15 squad in the American conference.

Tough one. Big Ten should be an advantage. The good news is that he didn't commit while at WSU. Hope we get him! As far as rosters go, if Coffey returns- ours is better. They are losing their top two scorers off of a 22-15 squad in the American conference.

Wsu has more playing time to offer

Wow it would be a bummer if we didn't get Sherfield, not saying I don't think we will, but it would really scare me if we had Carr and Carr to run the point. I know Willis can possibly eat spot minutes but still.

Wsu has more playing time to offer

Maybe. If Coffey goes- then we are likely running a 3 guard offense. Carr/ Willis/Williams/Kalsch/ Sherfield to split 120 mins.

I think we have a better roster than WSU if Coffey comes back but WSU has a bunch of young guards on the roster.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This may not hurt our chance:

Go Gophers!!

Maybe. If Coffey goes- then we are likely running a 3 guard offense. Carr/ Willis/Williams/Kalsch/ Sherfield to split 120 mins.

I think we have a better roster than WSU if Coffey comes back but WSU has a bunch of young guards on the roster.

Yeah looks like WSU loses their top guard and forward, or at least statistically speaking. Same would be said for us if Coffey is gone too.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/wichita-state/2019.html

Last edited:

I don't know about the rest of you, but to me it looks like Ze German can shoot a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bED2uwIcKtc

It seems like he has a pretty natural stroke.

I know it's a highlight video, but making shots from the outside would be a BIG plus! Thoughts?

I definitely would like him to be a Gopher!! Two shooters on one Gopher team might be historic. Let's hope Mr Ihnen feels at home in Minnesota! He can be good! Looks like a colt out there...

Also thought this tweet was interesting. Mike Schmitz is one of ESPN's top NBA draft analysts and does a ton of international scouting.

If I'm reading this German right, he was 20/61 (33%) for the season (14 games) from 3. Not bad. I'd say at solid enough to develop into more of an outside threat with college coaching and practice.

Their 3 point line is also farther back as well.

Anybody know what type of league he plays in and what the competition is like?

If you look at the tweet in the post right before yours, Mike Schmitz says it is a "lower level here in what's equivalent to the German 4th division..."

On wikipedia, there it looks like there are 6 tiers in the German basketball league system. Tier 4 is called 1 Regionalliga. It looks like the 1st three tiers are professional but I'm not sure if tier 4 is or not. Long story short, I don't really know how good Ihnen's competition is but it looks like he has one teammate who is on a lot of NBA team's radars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_basketball_league_system

If you look at the tweet in the post right before yours, Mike Schmitz says it is a "lower level here in what's equivalent to the German 4th division..."

On wikipedia, there it looks like there are 6 tiers in the German basketball league system. Tier 4 is called 1 Regionalliga. It looks like the 1st three tiers are professional but I'm not sure if tier 4 is or not. Long story short, I don't really know how good Ihnen's competition is but it looks like he has one teammate who is on a lot of NBA team's radars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_basketball_league_system

Thanks for the info die hard.

I would hope, and assume to be honest, that its similar to some level of HS basketball here. However, I think the real difference is the style of play between the US and Germany. Seems to be tough to project how a lot of foreign players skill sets will translate.

He moves well for his size and has a decent looking shot- no hitches, one fluid motion. A little funkiness with his guide hand but if the ball goes in the hoop then idc. Personally I think Ihnen would be an important staple in bolstering this 2019 recruiting class. If we could get lucky and add Sherfield on top of Ihnen... look out

I become a little more skeptical of Ihnen with the news that he's no longer visiting Tennessee. From an interview with him a few weeks ago it seemed as if Tennessee might be the favorite as KD is his favorite player and he seemed to really like the idea of playing for the coach that coached KD in college. It's so tough to tell anything about Ihnen from the limited clips that are out there, so you just have to go by who is truly interested in him to try to gauge potential ability.

I become a little more skeptical of Ihnen with the news that he's no longer visiting Tennessee. From an interview with him a few weeks ago it seemed as if Tennessee might be the favorite as KD is his favorite player and he seemed to really like the idea of playing for the coach that coached KD in college. It's so tough to tell anything about Ihnen from the limited clips that are out there, so you just have to go by who is truly interested in him to try to gauge potential ability.

I think Tennessee lost 2 assistants so good chance the coach recruiting him is no longer at tenn.

So you believe that TN cooled on him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody recruited Gabe. I'm pleased the Gophers did. Ihnen has potential...that's all any of these guys have to offer. Trust your eyes, not what some other clown has to say. He'd be in the running to be our best shooter....we need people. Better freshmen interested in the Gophers are going to be difficult to find on April 15th.

I had heard that TN has no room unless someone leaves or transfers.

Nobody recruited Gabe. I'm pleased the Gophers did. Ihnen has potential...that's all any of these guys have to offer. Trust your eyes, not what some other clown has to say. He'd be in the running to be our best shooter....we need people. Better freshmen interested in the Gophers are going to be difficult to find on April 15th.

Didn't Gabe verbally commit pretty early? That could be the reason why he had only a couple of mid-major offers.

I have no idea how well Ihnen will do. I guess I hope he comes here but when you ask us to "trust our eyes," what are you referring to? If we only have mixtapes, those aren't of much value. Even Gaston looked pretty good in those.

Didn't Gabe verbally commit pretty early? That could be the reason why he had only a couple of mid-major offers.

I have no idea how well Ihnen will do. I guess I hope he comes here but when you ask us to "trust our eyes," what are you referring to? If we only have mixtapes, those aren't of much value. Even Gaston looked pretty good in those.

Kalscheur also had a Pitt offer.

Agree on going on what you see as a staff that can help you do what your trying to do. Fans scream for points but the staff may see a jackknife that can guard 4 positions.

Man.....that article and Sherfield’s quotes sure make me think it’s Wichita State. Trying hard not to be a typical pessimistic Gopher fan. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom