All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I know would have been nice is what I should have said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Terry and Wahl would be nice but not absolute necessities for the 2019 team"

Just to clarify, it did say "would be" as if it were still a possibility...hence my comment.

"Terry and Wahl would be nice but not absolute necessities for the 2019 team"

Just to clarify, it did say "would be" as if it were still a possibility...hence my comment.

I know. Neither have signed though so still technically possible.

I agree with a lot of this. I will be most disappointed if Zeke goes to Wisconsin. I get he has a lot of family in the Madison area so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but we're losing Jordan Murphy right after this year so the opportunity for playing time is there.

I think they need to grab at least a high school wing player and a high school big man for this up coming recruiting cycle. I think Pitino is going to dive more and more into the transfer/grad transfer market and do the Hoiberg model. They're actually set up pretty well post 2019, assuming 2018-2019 season goes well.

Murphy will be a significant loss, but we do still have Curry and Omersa behind him at the 4. Not to say that Zeke would be "scared off" by our depth or anything, but it's not like there's a gaping hole behind Murphy either. Some sort of combo big would be nice to have to backup Oturu and Curry, or maybe when Oturu leaves the floor, we'd just have Curry slide to the 5 and put Omersa in at 4.

Murphy will be a significant loss, but we do still have Curry and Omersa behind him at the 4. Not to say that Zeke would be "scared off" by our depth or anything, but it's not like there's a gaping hole behind Murphy either. Some sort of combo big would be nice to have to backup Oturu and Curry, or maybe when Oturu leaves the floor, we'd just have Curry slide to the 5 and put Omersa in at 4.

We do need a backup center for 2019 and Nnaji would be the perfect fit.

Zeke's a true PF at this point. Could service some minutes at the 5 with a small ball lineup but his game screams stretch 4.

Zeke is 6-10, 215. That is essentially the same size as Oturu. He is plenty big to be a backup center and with Curry and Jarvis at PF, he is unlikely to get a ton of minutes there. His ability to stretch the floor will be nice to have at the 5 position though.

Zeke is 6-10, 215. That is essentially the same size as Oturu. He is plenty big to be a backup center and with Curry and Jarvis at PF, he is unlikely to get a ton of minutes there. His ability to stretch the floor will be nice to have at the 5 position though.

agreed. And having Zeke and Curry on the floor at the same time they would basically be interchangeable from the 4 & 5. Zeke would give us a lot of flexibility for next year

I don't think he is 6'10" unless he's grown from last winter. He was sitting with Jarvis and Oturu last winter at the barn and both were taller.

I don't think he is 6'10" unless he's grown from last winter. He was sitting with Jarvis and Oturu last winter at the barn and both were taller.

he measured in at 6'-11 1/2" in shoes at the U17 camp 4 days ago

per Jace:

Another Lakeville North basketball player is heading to Wisconsin.

Tyler Wahl, who will be senior in the fall, announced his commitment to the Badgers on Thursday. The four-star recruit averaged 17.2 points, 12 rebounds and 5.6 assists in his junior year at Lakeville North. The 6-foot-7 forward had also reported offers from Iowa State, Northwestern and the Gophers.

Wahl is the second Lakeville North player to commit to Wisconsin in three years. Nathan Reuvers just completed his freshman season for the Badgers, serving as a valuable role player off the bench. Like Wahl, Reuvers had an offer from Minnesota.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/...tyler-wahl-commits-to-wisconsin-over-gophers/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offers from Penn State, Xavier, and some mid-majors. No Gopher offer yet.

Robert Jones is a really nice kid from a great family. He is picking up power 5 offers. I think he would go the Gophers if offered, deep roots in the metro. He is a big man who can move, not much of an offensive game, can rebound, block shots, works hard. Dawson is a better play by far, much smoother.

Jones is a project chance to be a solid player in college.

I think he was viewed as a mid-major player who would go to UND, Wyoming, Colorado State etc, so not much out there. Not sure he is even rated. He's not nearly as talented as Dawson. I live in PL and have seen them both play a bunch. He works hard, is a big kid who needs to work on his offensive skills. Dawson is just so much smoother and they are similar height, Robert is bigger (Stronger). Power 5 teams must be viewing him more favorably with the Penn State offer.

I think he was viewed as a mid-major player who would go to UND, Wyoming, Colorado State etc, so not much out there. Not sure he is even rated. He's not nearly as talented as Dawson. I live in PL and have seen them both play a bunch. He works hard, is a big kid who needs to work on his offensive skills. Dawson is just so much smoother and they are similar height, Robert is bigger (Stronger). Power 5 teams must be viewing him more favorably with the Penn State offer.

I tend to agree and am not sure that Jones is worthy of offering. As a hypothetical situation, would you take Jones if it assured you landed Garcia as well? I live in PL as well and have been really impressed by Garcia but am not sure how Jones would translate to the B10.

I tend to agree and am not sure that Jones is worthy of offering. As a hypothetical situation, would you take Jones if it assured you landed Garcia as well? I live in PL as well and have been really impressed by Garcia but am not sure how Jones would translate to the B10.
I'd take Jones immediately if it meant you landed Garcia. When I've seen Jones he looked like a solid player hard worker and pretty physical maybe continuing to develop different areas of his game too. I'd be fine with offering him gonna need a center in this class somewhere he could be it.

I'd take Jones immediately if it meant you landed Garcia. When I've seen Jones he looked like a solid player hard worker and pretty physical maybe continuing to develop different areas of his game too. I'd be fine with offering him gonna need a center in this class somewhere he could be it.

True, I view Jones as similar to Hedstrom...not in terms of play style but in that they both will need a year or so before they would contribute anything at a B10 level. We could handle that since we have Oturu, Curry and Omersa.

I have heard we have a very good shot at Garcia and adding a H.S teammate would only sweeten the deal for him.

Anyone know if any recruits for 19 really like the gophers? Seems like there hasn’t been a lot of buzz about any recruits really liking us and feel like we will miss on every home player. Also haven’t heard much onbout of state talent. When does everyone think we will get first commit and who?

Is Tyson a guy Kimani recruited? Also don’t think we will get Matthew or Zeke sadly

We could have an all name team with some of the guys we’re recruiting

Just curious what you guys think. But why besides Kansas being adidas and obviously good would hurt go to Kansas if he wants to go to the pros? Self is a good coach but has done terrible developing freshmen for one and done. (Cliff Alexander, diallo, billy Preston, even Andrew Wiggins was a disappointment because he should’ve been an absolute freak in college. Not making cause for gophers but just doesn’t make sense besides Adidas why he’d pick Kansas over Kentucky

Just ONCE in the modern age (no Chris Humphreys comments please) would one of these five-star Minnesota kids please pick the Gophers so it can be shown that the NBA will still happen for them? Screw the blue bloods! I’m sick of hearing about them.

Top Bottom