All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

well 2/3's are often interchangeable now days

Sometimes. You don't want to put an undersized 2 at the 3 though. If you're wanting to replace your 6'8" small forward, it makes more sense to say we should recruit a 3.

Sometimes. You don't want to put an undersized 2 at the 3 though. If you're wanting to replace your 6'8" small forward, it makes more sense to say we should recruit a 3.

It depends on how rest of roster shakes out.

But replacing Coffey won't be easy

It depends on how rest of roster shakes out.

But replacing Coffey won't be easy

Not really sure what you mean by this, but PG and SG are the least of our concerns for this class. C, PF, and SF (in no particular order), are by far our biggest needs.

Not really sure what you mean by this, but PG and SG are the least of our concerns for this class. C, PF, and SF (in no particular order), are by far our biggest needs.

On how we handle 3 spot. I'm not too worried if we have undersized 3 if our PF has position flexibility.

I think we can get minutes at the 3 spot from Gabe.

Or if we get a bigger 2 guard that can play the 3 spot as well.

In short, I think there can be flexibility on how we approach the position, be it more combo Forward or combo g/f so long as we can defend

On how we handle 3 spot. I'm not too worried if we have undersized 3 if our PF has position flexibility.

I think we can get minutes at the 3 spot from Gabe.

Or if we get a bigger 2 guard that can play the 3 spot as well.

In short, I think there can be flexibility on how we approach the position, be it more combo Forward or combo g/f so long as we can defend

This is why it makes sense to target a small forward to replace our small forward. Not saying we can't put someone like Gabe or Tre at the 3, but we have plenty of SGs already. What we're lacking is someone who both moves well and has length so we can defend other teams who have length.

Last edited:

This is why it makes sense to target a small forward to replace our small forward. Not saying we can't put someone like Gabe or Tre at the 3, but we have plenty of SGs already. What we're lacking is someone who both moves well and has length so we can defend other teams who have length.

‪The issue is there’s very few players out there with true Small Forward size, skill and athleticism to effectively play the position. The blue bloods put such a premium on those players that it’s rare someone like Amir slips through the cracks. So I could see a way of working around that is by going with a true three guard lineups as we’ve seen with programs like Michigan, Purdue and Arizona in recent years. If we can find a 6’7/6’8 wing (fingers crossed on Kendall Brown in a couple years) then great! But there’s ways to work around it too. ‬

Tre Williams should be able to play some 3, I think Gabe probably can and I’m hoping we can get Drumgoole in the boat though it’s gone quiet on that front.

Luca Brassi is a very intimidating presence.

If he can also play along with the intimidating presence, that's exactly what we need. I've noticed as I watch our games and others that our big guys are pretty thin compared to a lot of others. I'm a fan of big strong, intimidating power forwards. Courtney James like.

I just think we are going to need a back up big and then one more guy that can put it in the bucket and has a winning attitude next year. Is there a Vince Grier out there somewhere but with a little better jump shot?

Like others have said, should be in good shape if we can get a significant big for next season. Other recruits can be with an eye to the future.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stanford, TCU, Tennessee have also offered Ihnen per 247.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's some Isaih Ihnen video. I'm not sure what the level of competition is, but I saw one dude with a full beard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yqCEeB6t8BI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's some Isaih Ihnen video. I'm not sure what the level of competition is, but I saw one dude with a full beard.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yqCEeB6t8BI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have Gaston flashbacks. This kid has some pretty big time offers though.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Really? Why? What footage of Gaston looked as good as this? Their games aren't remotely similar and this kid looks way more talented.

Embedded for you.

He made seven threes in one game? Have we made seven all season?

He made seven threes in one game? Have we made seven all season?

I think Gabe hit 7 against Santa Clara.

But if this guy has some shooting touch and the length to guard centers (which I’m not saying he does), could be a decent use of a scholarship. Losing Stockman and Murphy leaves us with Oturu, Curry, and Omersa as post players next year, and I’m a little worried about us getting killed by taller bigs if Oturu ends up in foul trouble. Also why Skogman from Wisconsin interests me. I’m concerned that good grad transfer centers could be in short supply, so getting a post player locked up through some other means might be more doable.

Gaston? This kid caught every pass in the video! Made multiple 3 pointers! Dribble without hitting his foot and made it to the basket!

Ceiling is a little higher than Gaston just watching him.

Gaston? This kid caught every pass in the video! Made multiple 3 pointers! Dribble without hitting his foot and made it to the basket!

Ceiling is a little higher than Gaston just watching him.

His floor is higher than Gaston's ceiling.

So a quick breakdown of who we are after at this point....

Point Guard
Tony Johnon 6'3"

Shooting Guard
Federico Miaschi 6'5" (that is a fun name to say) I don't rememeber him being on 247 until recently but it says he has a gophers offer
Sardaar Calhoun 6'6" when we first showed interest I think they found out he would have some eligibility issues with grades so not sure if he is even in play anymore

Small Forward
Gerald Drumgoole 6'5"
Myron Gardner 6'6"
Tujantae Williams 6'6"
Anthony Kabala 6'8" (No offer yet)
Pedro Nunes 6'5" (No offer)

Power Forward
Matthew Hurt 6'9"
David Skogman 6'10"
Isiah Ihnen 6'9"
Olivier Nkamhoua 6'8"

Center
Sam Freeman 6'9"

Wouldn't mind seeing Richard's dancing Gopher soon. Been a while...

I'm all in on Ihnen.

Top Bottom