All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Exactly. I could see the argument that he probably shouldn't have been getting close to 30 minutes a game in the Big Ten. But he would have been a solid guy off the bench for a good Big Ten team.

But if you aren't the star of the team then you shouldn't even be in the Big Ten. Hell, you should be playing D2 ball at best.

I love when people have the attitude that someone is either All-Big Ten, or they aren't Big Ten caliber at all. King wasn't great, but he efficiently scored ~12 points per game. Saying he wasn't a Big Ten level player is hyperbole. Also, King didn't play out of position. He would have played the 4 for any team he would have been on.

If your goal is to finish top half of the Big10 you don’t have King as your starting 4 period. My comment was made with that assumption in mind, I shouldn’t assume others are thinking the same. Sure he gives you some shooting but you give up inside defense, rebounding, and inside scoring. Too many negatives in the matchup with other Big Ten 4s. Go back and watch the games from those years and then tell me inside scoring, inside defense and rebounding weren’t problems. Someone mentioned that King would have been good off the bench, I would agree with this, change of pace, throw the opponent off with a bit of a change up a few momentum changing 3s, fine, but not as a starter in the Big10.

From a size perspective I agree, in theory he could bang down low as a 4, and he could learn post moves, and he could learn how to hold position, but that is a lot to ask. It’s pretty rare for kids to come out of HS and develop a post game when they didn’t have one and which is able to beat Big Ten inside players, unless they are heads and tails better athletes. Off hand I can’t come up with one, but I am sure there are some. You will have much more success recruiting players that fit into your offense, and expanding on what they already do well, rather than trying to get them to be good at something they have never done before.

I agree that one of Pitino’s struggles has been filling the roster, so I understand that you may then be forced to play people in positions that are less than ideal, but I don’t think you go into it thinking you are going to put people in positions that disadvantage them. I believe that they will recruit bigs. I have never said they shouldn’t go after Ihnen, I am actually a huge proponent of landing him, I feel he fills the 3 position perfectly once Amir leaves.

How many kids coming out of HS have a post game? Theo John didn't and he still had about 10 P5 offers. I will list you a few...Frank Kaminsky, Ethan Happ, Matt Haarms. Go on google and search Gophers basketball commits. Then go to commits and look at the players that have commited to us over the last 8-10 years and then look at 5 other big ten teams that aren't Mich State or Michigan. Tell me how many players that ended up being good had a post game coming out of HS? Very few because HS basketball doesn't require much of a post game to dunk on kids that are 6-5 200 lb centers. The offers on some of these guys lists is slightly indicative that what do you know...they hadn't developed a post game yet.

I would get into comparing offers from some of these guys and Ihnen but I don't think that's fair. Guys always get more offers as they wait until later in the cycle or are undiscovered until late. Where you commit during the cycle will determine offers to a certain point.

I like how you are actually for landing him and I admittedly would be a tad nervous about him, which seems backwards if we went off of our statements above. I just disagree with your reasoning although we ultimately have the same conclusion. I just think if a guy that might have some position flexibility and has an obvious plus to his game in some aspects, why wouldn't we try to grab him? It is strictly a weight/post move issue if it is that big of an issue at all

If your goal is to finish top half of the Big10 you don’t have King as your starting 4 period. My comment was made with that assumption in mind

Saying someone shouldn't be a starter if you want to be a top half team isn't even close to the same thing as saying someone isn't a Big Ten level player, which is literally what you said. Being a Big Ten level player means you are worthy of being on a Big Ten team.

Someone mentioned that King would have been good off the bench, I would agree with this, change of pace, throw the opponent off with a bit of a change up a few momentum changing 3s, fine, but not as a starter in the Big10.

This means that he is a Big Ten level player. You completely contradicted yourself.

Last edited:

Saying someone shouldn't be a starter if you want to be top 4 team isn't even close to the same thing as saying someone isn't a Big Ten level player, which is literally what you said. Being a Big Ten level player means you are worthy of being on a Big Ten team.

This means that he is a Big Ten level player. You completely contradicted yourself.

I didn’t say top 4, I said top half. I believe that Minnesota should be a top half team every year. Therefore you should start players that are top half players. I already said that I should have provided my assumption in my statement, but you still don’t get it. So let me put it this way: If you want to be a top half Big Ten level team then King is not a player you want as a starter.

I didn’t say top 4, I said top half. I believe that Minnesota should be a top half team every year. Therefore you should start players that are top half players. I already said that I should have provided my assumption in my statement, but you still don’t get it. So let me put it this way: If you want to be a top half Big Ten level team then King is not a player you want as a starter.

What you don't get is that what you're saying now is completely different than what you said before. Context isn't needed. A Big Ten level player is a Big Ten level player.

Basically what you're saying is "I said Joey King wasn't a Big Ten level player, but I said that with the assumption that you would know I actually meant that he is a Big Ten level player."

What you don't get is that what you're saying now is completely different than what you said before. Context isn't needed. A Big Ten level player is a Big Ten level player.

Basically what you're saying is "I said Joey King wasn't a Big Ten level player, but I said that with the assumption that you would know I actually meant that he is a Big Ten level player."

I mean, how could you not infer that from what he said? The set of "starting 4 on a top-half Big Ten team" is 7 people. The set of "Big Ten scholarship player" is 182 people. Don't you know that those two sets are exactly the same thing?

Last edited:

Has Lil' Ricky found a 2nd player to join the team next fall? Has he convinced any HS juniors to be a Gopher in 2020? This guy cannot recruit. His best recruiting assistants left, and the well has gone dry. Let's hope we either fire Pitino or he takes a new job. A new job would be ideal because we wouldn't need to buy him out. Heck, maybe we'd recoup some buyout cash and use it to buyout Oats.

Has Lil' Ricky found a 2nd player to join the team next fall? Has he convinced any HS juniors to be a Gopher in 2020? This guy cannot recruit. His best recruiting assistants left, and the well has gone dry. Let's hope we either fire Pitino or he takes a new job. A new job would be ideal because we wouldn't need to buy him out. Heck, maybe we'd recoup some buyout cash and use it to buyout Oats.

Well, that's silly

From a depth chart standpoint, we add two transfers plus a freshman and really only lose 2 players that got decent minutes so we are +1 in "players added". I'd also argue that Kimani's recruiting prowless hasn't brought us a ton of dividends and more busts than hits. Jeter and Linsted are better assistants that Ben and Kimani. There are plenty of things to justify firing Richard (record, off court incidents, bad losses) over, please use those when pushing for a change.

Find a new team to follow.

What is the point of some of you calling him names like this? It reminds me of junior high.

I had forgotten that I had ts on ignore. Now I remember why.

Has Lil' Ricky found a 2nd player to join the team next fall? Has he convinced any HS juniors to be a Gopher in 2020?

With respect to signing HS kids:
With more transfers becoming immediately eligible, is the better path now through transfers? Is Musselman showing everyone how to do this with his success at Nevada?

Word on the street is Miller in Arizona will be gone. Will the Hopkins kid get his release and see he can start at the 4 here in Minneapolis?

Zeke would look good in Maroon and Gold! He never seemed to be interested in staying home though.

Last edited:

I hope we get Sherfield and Freeman and then hopefully add a grad transfer big... do all that and we will be set

I hope we get Sherfield and Freeman and then hopefully add a grad transfer big... do all that and we will be set

We'll probably have two more scholarships to fill beyond the 3 we have at the moment...

I posted this in a thread dedicated to Murphy but it's more appropriate here: how in the world are we going to replace Murph? seems like Pitino hasn't even been pursuing a big this recruiting cycle.. go to 247sports and there are like no prospects outside of Matthew Hurt and everyone on here is saying we won't get him.

Is there a backdoor agreement to get Jericho Sims? Even if Sims did transfer here, there is no guarantee he'd be eligible right away. Does Pitino have an eye on a grad transfer?

How the hell are we going to fill the glaring hole at PF?

I posted this in a thread dedicated to Murphy but it's more appropriate here: how in the world are we going to replace Murph? seems like Pitino hasn't even been pursuing a big this recruiting cycle.. go to 247sports and there are like no prospects outside of Matthew Hurt and everyone on here is saying we won't get him.

Is there a backdoor agreement to get Jericho Sims? Even if Sims did transfer here, there is no guarantee he'd be eligible right away. Does Pitino have an eye on a grad transfer?

I’ve resigned myself to 2 things:

1. Pitino probably has someone in mind.

2. He will not be very good.

Hurt is the Gophers first option. He is done for the season and should make his decision soon. He would be a great replacement for Murphy.

Once he makes his decision. The Gophers will know where they stand. He was worth waiting for even if we only have a small chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pitino will add some players, but I bet he is thinking that a combination of Oturu and Omersa will fill the void. Murphy has had to do it without the help of a center.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The season hasn't ended which means almost all grad transfers haven't decided or declared they will be grad transferring. Once the season ends, the grad transfer market will open up and we will have some names. We just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom