All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Grant Sherfield is visiting tomorrow. 4-star two-guard. Strong kid who is dubbed a “scorer”. Anyone know how well he shoots? I’m always concerned that the label “scorer” means he can’t shoot very well so he has to resort to driving the lane with circus finishes to score. We already have a roster full of those kinds of players. I hope that’s not the case with Sherfield as he is only 6’2”. I guess if UCLA and Kansas wanted him, there must be something there. Any inside scoops here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grant Sherfield is visiting tomorrow. 4-star two-guard. Strong kid who is dubbed a “scorer”. Anyone know how well he shoots? I’m always concerned that the label “scorer” means he can’t shoot very well so he has to resort to driving the lane with circus finishes to score. We already have a roster full of those kinds of players. I hope that’s not the case with Sherfield as he is only 6’2”. I guess if UCLA and Kansas wanted him, there must be something there. Any inside scoops here?

Grant shot 33.3% from 3 in EYBL play (13-39 in 6 games so small sample size) this past Summer. This year for Sunrise Christian he's at 38.3 % from 3 (31-81 through 23 games). The only concerning thing I see from his stats at Sunrise this year is that his overall fg percentage is just 40.1 %. An encouraging state is that his free throw percentage is 78.9% and that usually correlates to potential for improved shooting as a career moves forward. He's the high scorer and draws the most fouls for a pretty stacked team that includes former Gopher target Austin Crowley, as well as blue chip recruit N'Faly Dante.

https://www.prepcircuit.com/stats/t...8&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=3180058

Interesting note on the local 2019 class. Of the 5 finalists for Mr. Basketball, 4 of them played for D1 MN on the Adidas Circuit. None of the five are currently committed to Minnesota. Gophers have not recruited D1 MN very well. I believe Coffey, Jarvis Johnson, Gabe, Oturu and Omersa are all Howard Pulley guys. Michael Hurt is a D1 MN guy.

Five finalists are:
Isaac Fink, Springfield (Minnesota Comets, Augustana)
Matthew Hurt, Rochester JM (D1, undecided)
Zeke Nnaji, Hopkins (D1, Arizona)
Tyrell Terry, DeLaSalle (D1, Stanford)
Tyler Wahl, Lakeville North (D1, wisconsin)

Interesting note on the local 2019 class. Of the 5 finalists for Mr. Basketball, 4 of them played for D1 MN on the Adidas Circuit. None of the five are currently committed to Minnesota. Gophers have not recruited D1 MN very well. I believe Coffey, Jarvis Johnson, Gabe, Oturu and Omersa are all Howard Pulley guys. Michael Hurt is a D1 MN guy.

Five finalists are:
Isaac Fink, Springfield (Minnesota Comets, Augustana)
Matthew Hurt, Rochester JM (D1, undecided)
Zeke Nnaji, Hopkins (D1, Arizona)
Tyrell Terry, DeLaSalle (D1, Stanford)
Tyler Wahl, Lakeville North (D1, wisconsin)

Jarvis Johnson and Amir played for D1 MN far longer than they played with Pulley, but they did switch to Pulley for their last year. Not sure how much it has impacted recruiting if at all, but I know at least a couple of their coaches were Wisconsin guys. Not sure if they are still with the program or not.

Last edited:

Jarvis Johnson and Amir played for D1 MN far longer than they played with Pulley, but they did switch to Pulley for their last year. Not sure how much it has impacted recruiting if at all, but I know at least a couple of their coaches were Wisconsin guys. Not sure if they are still with the program or not.

Jarvis played his last two years with Pulley, Amir did as a 9th grader on. For awhile the DeLaSalle guys were going to D1, then Reid Travis and Jarvis went to Pulley together and all of a sudden MN was back in the picture too... D1 guys have something against the U (jealous of Pulley probably).

I watched Isaac Fink play last year a couple times. Dude can shoot....but not a D1 player.

Grant Sherfield - a weird recruit I think, do we need another guard? Maybe but we desperately need help at the 4 and 5 next year.

Grant Sherfield - a weird recruit I think, do we need another guard? Maybe but we desperately need help at the 4 and 5 next year.

Maybe a sign that IW is planning on transferring?

Also considering we don't have any production other than Gabe and Amir, might not be a terrible idea to hit on a guy that could play the 1 or 2.

Gabe, IW, Carr, Willis, Williams (IW is still here so maybe a sign he is gone who knows)

Your starting backcourt next year is Gabe and Carr, with Coffey going back to Wing.

Gabe, IW, Carr, Willis, Williams (IW is still here so maybe a sign he is gone who knows)

Your starting backcourt next year is Gabe and Carr, with Coffey going back to Wing.

IW/Carr at the 1 with the other coming off the bench at the 1. Then if we would get Sherfield I wouldn't be surprised if he would be the first in at the 2/3, followed by Willis/Hurt/Tre Williams. I'm not convinced Willis is all that great but I also haven't watched him a ton, and we know what we have in Hurt, he can eat 8 min a game.

There are three scholarships available. Getting another guard does not preclude signing a much needed inside player. If this guy can shoot and he is willing to sign, we should sign him. Period.

There are three scholarships available. Getting another guard does not preclude signing a much needed inside player. If this guy can shoot and he is willing to sign, we should sign him. Period.

With you 100%..we always need shooters/scorers

To me, a scorer is someone who can score in a variety of ways, is proficient at the 3, midrange and driving to the paint and can create their own shot. A James Harden type of game. What you describe I would consider more of a slasher.

With you 100%..we always need shooters/scorers

But I want someone that can actually hit. Anything in the 35 percent range in high school is not a good 3 point shooter. Good 3 point shooter in high school should fill it up well over 40-45% from three. What do you think JJ Redick shot in high school from 3? This team has been missing that assasin from beyond the arc for years. Find one that can knock down open shots.

He is Sunshine Academy's leading scorer. Definitely a worthy get despite Sunshine's recent loss to Tre' Williams' prep school.

we have 3 open slots as of now, not too worried

Lawrence McKenzie shot over 50% on 3s his senior year. Just as a point of reference. Not sure how many he took or anything.

I'd take Sherfield though. Need to fill schollys and we need guards still. Would prefer a 4 or 5 but still good to add depth.

Were entering mid-night at Sally's territory, anyone will do. :cool:

But I want someone that can actually hit. Anything in the 35 percent range in high school is not a good 3 point shooter. Good 3 point shooter in high school should fill it up well over 40-45% from three. What do you think JJ Redick shot in high school from 3? This team has been missing that assasin from beyond the arc for years. Find one that can knock down open shots.

He plays for one of the best schools in the country...Yeah I think 38% is solid for a high school kid, not phenomenal by any means but I'd be hopeful he is good enough to drain the open shots which McBrayer can't do as a senior

You’re right. Sherfield probably won’t be a historically good college and NBA shooter. Don’t bother recruiting someone who won’t break records. What a weird take.

You’re right. Sherfield probably won’t be a historically good college and NBA shooter. Don’t bother recruiting someone who won’t break records. What a weird take.

Screw Redick, I'd prefer we recruit a Lebron or Kobe. Redicks are a dime a dozen, thats why he only went to Duke.

Well good game for our visitor and all the mn recruits at the game as well!

good game for a recruit to be at. lots of smiles on the bench and behind it.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Guys, better hurry and grab those scholarships before they are gone! Nice that Pitino highlighted the benefits of staying home during the post game senior night speeches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom