All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

If guys from here are not playing much elsewhere why would we want them? There are reasons they were not getting on the court elsewhere.

We don’t need him to be a stud, just be a quality backup center next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any interest on his part? That would fill the pg need.

4 different assistants from 4 staffs think they are in a very good place with him. But it will take time to sort out because he is picking up better offers by the day.

I don't dislike him. I'm just saying enough posters here have whined about not having outside shooting. Wright doesn't fix that was my only point. Wright is a 30% 3 pt shooter, so he's his points are coming on attacking the hoop, which is fine. He's a strong kid who's a good finisher. He's not an elite defender, but has to tools to be one. He also had numerous chances to come here and play whether IW came or not. His biggest issue was whether he'd get in and whether he wanted to actually come here. Gophers pushed juco/prep for a reason and it wasn't a ton to do with basketball. Now that being said he obviously is doing very well in Colorado and I'm happy for him, but lets be fair, they are terrible and he doesn't have much a leash.

Agreed. Wright is obviously fine at Colorado doing whatever he wants with the ball and playing defense when he feels like it. He should not be considering Minnesota nor should the door be open for him to do so.

I don't dislike him. I'm just saying enough posters here have whined about not having outside shooting. Wright doesn't fix that was my only point. Wright is a 30% 3 pt shooter, so he's his points are coming on attacking the hoop, which is fine. He's a strong kid who's a good finisher. He's not an elite defender, but has to tools to be one. He also had numerous chances to come here and play whether IW came or not. His biggest issue was whether he'd get in and whether he wanted to actually come here. Gophers pushed juco/prep for a reason and it wasn't a ton to do with basketball. Now that being said he obviously is doing very well in Colorado and I'm happy for him, but lets be fair, they are terrible and he doesn't have much a leash.

Disagree on most everything here.

*Wright is a plus defender.
*The juco/prep idea came from a scholarship/positional crunch after Archie Miller left Dayton and after IW had already signed. They floated a year of prep school to balance the roster but the staff was (rightfully) very keen to land him still.
*Colorado isn't terrible at all. The Pac 12 is weak but they have a good chance at finishing 10-8 in the league and I wouldn't be surprised if they made a run in the conf tourney.

All that said, McKinley isn't leaving Boulder.

Who is Beekman?

TFY_Beakman900x600.jpg

Disagree on most everything here.

*Wright is a plus defender.
*The juco/prep idea came from a scholarship/positional crunch after Archie Miller left Dayton and after IW had already signed. They floated a year of prep school to balance the roster but the staff was (rightfully) very keen to land him still.
*Colorado isn't terrible at all. The Pac 12 is weak but they have a good chance at finishing 10-8 in the league and I wouldn't be surprised if they made a run in the conf tourney.

All that said, McKinley isn't leaving Boulder.

He's a plus defender in the pac 12 which is a fair statement. I can bend on that. The prep idea came from grades/test scores just as much as any scholarship or roster balance and that is a guarantee. The Pac 12 is worse than weak, it is historically bad this year. They are a power 5 conference that is or should be a 1 bid league this year. A 9-11 B10 team beat the top team in the Pac 12 and I'd argue that Nebraska, Rutger, or Illinois would have at minimum 10 wins in that conference this year. Colorado has a 10% chance to make the NCAA tourney and that is with probably one of the weaker bubbles we've ever seen. Again I'm not saying McKinley is a terrible player or person by any means, he's just not a savior or a huge miss or one that has gotten away yet. There are other guards who can be just as good that we can get. I'm also am saying that Wrights stats are inflated/cushioned by playing weaker competition.

Point guard from Louisiana . Really complete.

With the hammer about to come down on LSU, that may make Louisiana a ripe recruiting ground. It's time for DJ to start talking up the ideal life situation in Minnesota.

He's a plus defender in the pac 12 which is a fair statement. I can bend on that. The prep idea came from grades/test scores just as much as any scholarship or roster balance and that is a guarantee. The Pac 12 is worse than weak, it is historically bad this year. They are a power 5 conference that is or should be a 1 bid league this year. A 9-11 B10 team beat the top team in the Pac 12 and I'd argue that Nebraska, Rutger, or Illinois would have at minimum 10 wins in that conference this year. Colorado has a 10% chance to make the NCAA tourney and that is with probably one of the weaker bubbles we've ever seen. Again I'm not saying McKinley is a terrible player or person by any means, he's just not a savior or a huge miss or one that has gotten away yet. There are other guards who can be just as good that we can get. I'm also am saying that Wrights stats are inflated/cushioned by playing weaker competition.

OK will agree to disagree. I've seen McKinley play 10+ times for CU and firmly believe he would've been a huge difference maker for us.

OK will agree to disagree. I've seen McKinley play 10+ times for CU and firmly believe he would've been a huge difference maker for us.

I saw Wright a ton in HS and have watched him in college as well (Not 10+, but closer to 5-6 so I do value/respect your opinion). Considering our guard depth, you're not wrong and I do agree with you for the most part. It probably depends on what our definitions of a "huge" difference maker is. He's a good player no doubt and he'd play a lot/probably start/be a 6th man at worst (play starters mins), but that's cause we are not great either. I don't think he gives us a ton of more wins and his statistics would be drastically different is my point. Also he's most likely not like he's an NBA guy yet (nor do I think he will be personally). 2 maybe 3 more wins (Better than Dupree for sure, equal to a Gabe) more at most this year, last year who knows due to injuries and it wouldn't have mattered anyhow.

The main point for me is I think we can still find guys that can fill those type of roles (Williams might who knows). I'm always happy to see MN kids be successful and am very happy for Wright. He's a great fit at Colorado and having success there personally, so I am happy for him as he's a great kid.

Is the expectation that the ncaa will continue to loosen the the rules allowing transfers to play immediately? And clarify the conditions that would allow a transfer to play immediately (reduce the guessing by coaches)?

They will most likely pass that in the event of a coaching change of any kind that you can go without sitting out. They will keep grad transfer as is. They will not adopt that you can just transfer and will keep hardship as is.

What makes us think we can get McNeil open looks we can't get for Kalesheur?

At least his girlfriend has potential.

Next year we will have a legit PG and if you look at his range, he can pull the trigger 4 ft behind the the 3pt line.

Last edited:

Highlights show some sick range for Sean.

Finally some recruiting news instead of peeps bickering at each other.

Team needs a big. Hopefully Freeman is gettable.

And McNeil, if he can shoot and play some D, I'd be happy. Next season Carr is going to help a ton. I bet Gabe K finds lot more open shots next year.

We could really use a JUCO PF bruiser like Jason Stamper. Murphy is tough but not a brusier. And with him graduating, they really need a bruiser. Bring some toughness to the squad, not to mention depth because all we have is Oturu. Cant count on Curry with his failing healht

At least his girlfriend has potential.

Kalesheur is always on the floor without anyone else who can really shoot. Having more shooters should spread the defense and open up the driving lanes for everyone.

Agreed- this is welcome progress as there are needs in both front and back court next year.

Gotta wonder if there were 'concerns' about Pitino being let go being circulated in the recruiting circles.

Regardless, happy that there are solid players looking at us and hope to land some quality depth.

Top Bottom