All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I am curious where we are with recruiting a week after signing day... We got a wing player to go with a deep bench at that position, as we got Coffey, Klauscher, Willis, Hurt, and now Williams at the two and three positions...

I want to know how Pitino plans to replace Jordan Murphy... Oturu looks like a solid starting Center, but we do have a hole at PF, as Omersa is really raw and likely not a quality starter in this league... Obviously, the wild card is Eric Curry, but Curry seems capable of playing the 5 position as well as the 4. Curry definitely has the range to play PF... Regardless, I would think the biggest hole on the roster is PF...

Do we have any sights on a PF for the 2019 class?

Center is also thin. We need someone to replace Stockman. So, both C and PF need attention. We might see a grad transfer at either or both positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you're good if they get any 3* undersized hustle player to replace Murphy? I wish you were head of recruiting, you'd be so good. Just because Murphy was an 3* undersized hustle player doesn't mean all of them can be transformed in Jordan Murphy. He will be the #1 rebounder and #2 or 3 scorer in team history. But yeah, lets just get any 3 star to replace him, I'm sure that'll be good.

You can't reason with a troll.

You can't reason with a troll.

I’m not a troll. I just don’t think Murphy is replaceable at this point. Even a guy like Hurt who is outstanding likely wouldn’t provide the production Murphy has as a junior and senior. The replacement for him needed to be on the roster before 2019-2020, in my trollpinion

I’m not a troll. I just don’t think Murphy is replaceable at this point. Even a guy like Hurt who is outstanding likely wouldn’t provide the production Murphy has as a junior and senior. The replacement for him needed to be on the roster before 2019-2020, in my trollpinion

You realize Murphy is one of the best forwards in the country and one of best all time greats in Gopher history right? The likelihood you find another forward to replace his production are slim to none and isn't a realistic expectation. They need to find someone who can man the position at an average or above average level and at the same time hope to improve at the other positions to make up for the loss of Murphy by having the young guys on the team now improve and take over the leadership role which doesn't need to be at the PF position. Take Wisconsin for example, they aren't going to be able to find someone to replace Happ's talent, that is a very special talent. They will likely be a team more centered around their guards with Davison and Trice.

You realize Murphy is one of the best forwards in the country and one of best all time greats in Gopher history right? The likelihood you find another forward to replace his production are slim to none and isn't a realistic expectation. They need to find someone who can man the position at an average or above average level and at the same time hope to improve at the other positions to make up for the loss of Murphy by having the young guys on the team now improve and take over the leadership role which doesn't need to be at the PF position. Take Wisconsin for example, they aren't going to be able to find someone to replace Happ's talent, that is a very special talent. They will likely be a team more centered around their guards with Davison and Trice.

You’re making the point I made earlier. Thanks for agreeing with me. The team will change. Doesn’t mean its a bad thing. I don’t believe Omersa is ready to start next year. Curry can play the 4. Curious to see what recruits/transfers come in

I'm not calling you a troll. I am saying you can't reason with Winnasota(who is the troll) sorry for not making that more clear. I agree with you, it is absolutely idiotic to act like Murphy can be replaced by a player who just "hustles". Murphy will be criminally overlooked by many because the program has had little sucess while he was here.

I'm not calling you a troll. I am saying you can't reason with Winnasota(who is the troll) sorry for not making that more clear. I agree with you, it is absolutely idiotic to act like Murphy can be replaced by a player who just "hustles". Murphy will be criminally overlooked by many because the program has had little sucess while he was here.
I never said Murphy could be replaced by a kid that hustles. Someone stated players like Murphy don’t come to Minnesota, which is a stupid comment.

But I’m a troll.

Edit: direct quote is “murphy’s don’t just come here”

Last edited:

This thread is for updates on 2019 recruiting. Posts not about 2019 recruiting will be deleted.

Pitino not being able to recruit a PF or C so far to replace Murphy and stockman has me worried. The 2019 recruiting class has to fill some holes

Pitino not being able to recruit a PF or C so far to replace Murphy and stockman has me worried. The 2019 recruiting class has to fill some holes

yup. other than doing whatever he can with Hurt. He needs to go all out on a PF/C type player. Man it would have been so nice to hold onto Tray Jackson.

I hope they are able to land a Juco PF or C for next season. They will have to replace Matts and Murphy. Curry could start at the 4 next year and Oturu at the 5 so they will be fine, they need depth bad however. Pipe-dream hurt would start at the 4 next year if he comes. Either way they need a 4/5 this off-season probably 2.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Johnson "very excited" about Minnesota offer

TheGopherReport.com
Tony Johnson Jr. picked up a Minnesota offer last week. Honestly, it was not a surprise. The Gophers coaching staff first saw him last summer with the Georgia Stars of the EYBL circuit, and have be...

Looks like he was a 2018 recruit. Did he reclassify?

Tony Johnson
Pos
PG
Height
6-3
Weight

Prospect Info
High School Eufaula
Home Town Eufaula, AL

Last edited:

Johnson "very excited" about Minnesota offer

TheGopherReport.com
Tony Johnson Jr. picked up a Minnesota offer last week. Honestly, it was not a surprise. The Gophers coaching staff first saw him last summer with the Georgia Stars of the EYBL circuit, and have be...

Looks like he was a 2018 recruit. Did he reclassify?

Tony Johnson
Pos
PG
Height
6-3
Weight

Prospect Info
High School Eufaula
Home Town Eufaula, AL

I hope they are able to land a Juco PF or C for next season. They will have to replace Matts and Murphy. Curry could start at the 4 next year and Oturu at the 5 so they will be fine, they need depth bad however. Pipe-dream hurt would start at the 4 next year if he comes. Either way they need a 4/5 this off-season probably 2.

Pitino has done a good job picking up spring guys. I think a grad transfer big would be good/best option and the one Pitino pursues, but truthfully they really don't have a ton to replace. Curry and Oturu will be entrenched there and Omersa will be off the bench and hopefully improved as a sophomore. I also think they want to keep some of those slots open for the 2020 class to see and that is why you don't see a ton of traction for us recruiting many PF/C types. We have plenty of scholoarships to also throw at a "high potential" guy too if need be. Will be fun to watch and see what happens and who becomes available, especially if we have a good B10 season and Murph, Oturo and Curry when he joins keep doing well.

Pitino has done a good job picking up spring guys. I think a grad transfer big would be good/best option and the one Pitino pursues, but truthfully they really don't have a ton to replace. Curry and Oturu will be entrenched there and Omersa will be off the bench and hopefully improved as a sophomore. I also think they want to keep some of those slots open for the 2020 class to see and that is why you don't see a ton of traction for us recruiting many PF/C types. We have plenty of scholoarships to also throw at a "high potential" guy too if need be. Will be fun to watch and see what happens and who becomes available, especially if we have a good B10 season and Murph, Oturo and Curry when he joins keep doing well.

My take is a little less rosy. It will be very difficult to replace Murphy’s inside scoring next year. While I like Curry and Oturu, it will be crucial to pick up one or two guys who can play the 4 and 5 spots right away. I think one of the two needs to be a starter-quality guy. So, transfer and JC routes would seem most likely. If Pitino can pull that off, I like our team next year.

My take is a little less rosy. It will be very difficult to replace Murphy’s inside scoring next year. While I like Curry and Oturu, it will be crucial to pick up one or two guys who can play the 4 and 5 spots right away. I think one of the two needs to be a starter-quality guy. So, transfer and JC routes would seem most likely. If Pitino can pull that off, I like our team next year.

Well of course I'd love that option, but having 4-5 starting level bigs is unlikely for pretty much any program in the country. I do think they do have about 10-15 minutes a game to sell a JC or grad transfer guy. We will see and I'd gladly take 2 more starter quality bigs, that'd be unreal depth. One more big that can play that 10-15 minutes will be what we need with the development of Coffey, Oturo, Gabe, Curry, and Carr. It will be an interesting spring to say the least. Lets hope for the best.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Looks like Sam Freeman is back in play.

Looks like Sam Freeman is back in play.

i get that we've seen him live so that bodes well i guess, but according to rivals we are his only offer. does that not seem weird to others? how can a kid in this day and age be worthy of a top 40 program offer and no others? are we that good at finding diamonds in the rough?

i get that we've seen him live so that bodes well i guess, but according to rivals we are his only offer. does that not seem weird to others? how can a kid in this day and age be worthy of a top 40 program offer and no others? are we that good at finding diamonds in the rough?

Depending on how long Oturo stays in college a kid like that may be your best option, it's nice to get all 4* but if we get three years from Oturo a serviceable substitute that gets 8 or 9 minutes a night might be your best option.

I like the little that we can see. I’m guessing he is a very poor shooter or he would have a bunch of offers. Seems athletic and is said to be a good rebounder. Does he have a good feel for the game and is he a good passer? I’m also a bit puzzled by the lack of offers. Insight anyone?

with Oturu on roster I think a kid like this would be a solid add. Looks big, strong, & pretty athletic. but my guess is he probably isn't much of an option, yet, away from the basket.

Top Bottom