All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

per Marcus:

The Gophers, who have four scholarships available, are excited to have Williams, but they're looking to add more players this week to join him in their 2019 recruiting class.

Minnesota coach Richard Pitino received a commitment earlier this month from 6-foot-10 Northwest High (Texas) center Sam Freeman, who is expected to sign at a school ceremony Friday. Sunrise Christian Academy (Kan.) four-star guard Grant Sherfield is also considering the Gophers, along with Wichita State and Wake Forest with the late signing period starting Wednesday.

A former UCLA recruit, Sherfield had an official visit with his hometown Shockers over the weekend, but there doesn’t seem to be any decision yet. Minnesota assistant Kyle Lindsted, a Wichita native, has known the Sherfield family for years. Sherfield came away impressed after visiting the Gophers when they defeated Purdue on Senior Night in early March.

Pitino and his staff are also hoping to add some experience to the roster, especially in the frontcourt. Drexel junior forward and graduate transfer Alihan Demir is reportedly visiting the Gophers on Friday. Demir averaged 14.8 points, 6.4 rebounds, 2.9 assists and shot 51.2 percent from the floor this season.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-looking-to-add-late-to-2019-class/508606512/

Go Gophers!!

Didn't Gabe verbally commit pretty early? That could be the reason why he had only a couple of mid-major offers.

I have no idea how well Ihnen will do. I guess I hope he comes here but when you ask us to "trust our eyes," what are you referring to? If we only have mixtapes, those aren't of much value. Even Gaston looked pretty good in those.

Gabe committed after Howard Pulley's season was over so I don't think that was why. He absolutely lit it up and I was very surprised he didn't shoot up in the rankings and get more offers after that. I think people just thought that he was a good HS and AAU player but was too close to his ceiling and his game wouldn't translate to the next level due to a lack of athleticism.

Man.....that article and Sherfield’s quotes sure make me think it’s Wichita State. Trying hard not to be a typical pessimistic Gopher fan. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What else is he going to do in the local school's paper in the town where he also lives? Matthew Hurt them?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

huge next few days here for the Gophers.
Weather will be nice for both Demir's visit on Friday and Ihnens visit starting Sunday.

PG - Carr / Sherfield
SG - Gabe / Willis
SF - Ihnen / Tre / Hurt
PF - Demir / Omersa
C - Oturu / Curry / Freeman

If all goes to plan!

Yeah Ihnen may not be ready to start, but with the four other potential starters around him, I think we could roll with a high upside yet raw guy to start a SF. Especially since we don't have a great alternative without commiting to a small ball line up with someone like Willis, Tre, or Sherfield.

Edit: Just saw elsewhere that Sherfield is expected to commit to Wichita State today. So that sucks.

Last edited:

PG - Carr / Sherfield
SG - Gabe / Willis
SF - Ihnen / Tre / Hurt
PF - Demir / Omersa
C - Oturu / Curry / Freeman

If all goes to plan!

Yeah Ihnen may not be ready to start, but with the four other potential starters around him, I think we could roll with a high upside yet raw guy to start a SF. Especially since we don't have a great alternative without commiting to a small ball line up with someone like Willis, Tre, or Sherfield.

Edit: Just saw elsewhere that Sherfield is expected to commit to Wichita State today. So that sucks.

Im doubting ilhen's ability to be athletic enough to play SF. Looks like a stretch 4 to me

Take Sherfield off the list, he's not coming here. RJ has a thread on GI saying he's announcing his choice today and Wichita State is a virtual lock.

How long does Lindsted last if he can't even land players from the family program?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

That stinks. Have to think the idea of battling for playing time with Carr, Willis, Gabe, Tre and potentially Coffey played a factor. Sounds like he could play big minutes right away at WSU.

Maybe this means we will look harder at the grad transfer from Northeastern - the Gresham kid from St. Paul

That stinks. Have to think the idea of battling for playing time with Carr, Willis, Gabe, Tre and potentially Coffey played a factor. Sounds like he could play big minutes right away at WSU.

Maybe this means we will look harder at the grad transfer from Northeastern - the Gresham kid from St. Paul

Playing time means a lot. If they can give it and we can't, there is the difference. Too bad, but our greatest need is a rebounding big, not a wing, right now.

When he didn't commit right away, something was up.

Playing time means a lot. If they can give it and we can't, there is the difference. Too bad, but our greatest need is a rebounding big, not a wing, right now.

When he didn't commit right away, something was up.

Two big guys visiting this weekend, albeit with different skill sets, let's hope we land both

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Right, all about playing time. With Gabe, Carr and Willis already here playing the same position plus staying home it was probably an easy choice. They need a big more than anything, the transfer from Drexler is key.

A little birdie told me Sherfield was moving off the Gophers because Carr has three years left and Suggs is a virtual lock to sign with the Gophers, pushing him to third string for his Sophomore year!

Fake news that I hope is correct!

A little birdie told me Sherfield was moving off the Gophers because Carr has three years left and Suggs is a virtual lock to sign with the Gophers, pushing him to third string for his Sophomore year!

No birdie has ever lied to me.

Haha. The first part of that it's probably true though and when you consider that all the other guards minus Coffey on our roster have at least two seasons left, it probably doesn't sound amazing being the fifth or sixth guy on that list

well that stinks on the Sherfield front.....do we now go harder after grad transfer Donnel Gresham? Provides some solid depth....and would only eat up a scholarship for a season....I hope we don't get needy and just take a freshman backcourt player just for the sake of taking one and we are stuck with them for 4 season

Now that Grant and Austin are out of the way, we should go full court on getting Gresham as a 1-year to fill in just to balance the classes. But I'm not sure we even need a guard.

I would rather see those 3 remaining schollys go to Ihnen, the PF coming in Friday and a Small Forward 6'6"- 6' 8" wing type.

I'd even take a SF transfer who has to sit over Gresham.

well that stinks on the Sherfield front.....do we now go harder after grad transfer Donnel Gresham? Provides some solid depth....and would only eat up a scholarship for a season....I hope we don't get needy and just take a freshman backcourt player just for the sake of taking one and we are stuck with them for 4 season

Maybe I just missed the talk, but I was wondering why I haven't heard much about recruiting Gresham. He's from here, he fills a definite need, and he's about as good of a grad transfer guard as we could hope for. I don't see the problem with taking two grad transfers instead of freshmen since Coffey and Hurt are the only seniors-to-be on the team now.

Trying to stay positive about this recruiting class is becoming increasingly tough! Time to pull a rabbit out of the hat Pitino

Now that Grant and Austin are out of the way, we should go full court on getting Gresham as a 1-year to fill in just to balance the classes. But I'm not sure we even need a guard.

I would rather see those 3 remaining schollys go to Ihnen, the PF coming in Friday and a Small Forward 6'6"- 6' 8" wing type.

I'd even take a SF transfer who has to sit over Gresham.

yeah I still like the idea of getting a 5th guard option...Carr, Gabe, Willis, Williams are fine. Carr & willis are the only ones that are really PG type players. And with the chance that Coffey doesn't come back I think its important to take another guy (preferably a grad transfer) that can handle the ball. If coffey doesn't come back and Carr or Willis get hurt we are in trouble. So I say we now hit the grad transfer PG market

yeah I still like the idea of getting a 5th guard option...Carr, Gabe, Willis, Williams are fine. Carr & willis are the only ones that are really PG type players. And with the chance that Coffey doesn't come back I think its important to take another guy (preferably a grad transfer) that can handle the ball. If coffey doesn't come back and Carr or Willis get hurt we are in trouble. So I say we now hit the grad transfer PG market

Everything you just wrote is why we need a SF. If Coffey comes back, we have a 5th guard who can handle, but monster holes at PF and SF.

Really thought we were going to add Sherfield and end up having a pretty nice class...two fringe top 100 guards really is a good class in my opinion, plus a bit of a sleeper in Freeman who does intrigue me. Most likely all of those guys end up being 4 year players.

That being said its not over and we could still land a good prospect or two. Landing a PF grad transfer seems like a must although it probably always was.

Everything you just wrote is why we need a SF. If Coffey comes back, we have a 5th guard who can handle, but monster holes at PF and SF.

well no if Coffey comes back we don't have any hole at SF....

How long does Lindsted last if he can't even land players from the family program?

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Yeah I kind of wondered the same thing...got Tray Jackson to commit and now he signed with Mizzou. Sherfield on campus but can't get him to commit. Tough.

Top Bottom