All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Ryan James dropped a ton of 2019 recruiting knowledge on the latest "One and Done" podcast. I highly recommend the podcast as its one of the few places you can find Gopher hoops recruiting info these days. I believe the podcast came out before the Austin Crowley news and Ryan stated that he had been contacting all the 2019 Gopher offers to see who was interested in a visit. I don't remember the exact terminology he used, but Ryan stated something like the 3 guys who were definitely planning on visiting were Austin Crowley, Myron Gardner, and Sam Freeman. For those that don't know, Gardner is a wing out of Michigan who Ryan said the Gophers really liked at a tournament this Summer in Georgia and Freeman is a post player out of Texas who the Gophers saw at their own team camp and liked. He didn't go through everybody, but Robbie Beran was the next name that seemed most likely to visit based on James comments. A kid that Ed Conroy has been recruiting, Jordan Wright out of Louisiana, has scheduled a visit to Virginia Tech but nothing with Minnesota. Jalen Hill a wing out of Vegas who Rob Jeter has been recruiting didn't have the Gophers in his 3 schools he's definitely planning on visiting, but he might take a trip to visit a number of Midwest schools and Minnesota could receive a visit under that scenario.

For the especially bad news, Ryan said he talked with Tray Jackson (PF at Lindsted's old Sunrise Christian school) and that Jackson told him that he was planning visits to Xavier and Missouri and mentioned those two schools along with Oklahoma where he previously visited and didn't mention the Gophers in this top group. Jackson was a guy the staff put a lot of time in to this Summer. Further, in the discussion about Zeke Nnaji, Ryan stated it would be "tough" for the Gophers to land him and specifically mentioned Arizona as a spot for him. (My own note: There have been two "crystal balls" put in for Zeke recently to Indiana)

Thanks much! As someone who values Ryan James' info but cannot stand his delivery or podcast affect, this is a life saver.

question for guys who have seen him play more than the 3 games I have seen....thoughts on David Roddy being a legit Big Ten type player? I seen he picked up a Nebraska offer. And thought I seen he also has a northwestern offer.

I like him. Unique because of his size plays bigger. Strong and pretty athletic. Reminds me of a more skilled J’son Stamper. Rugged Byron Houston type. I think he can play in the Big 10.

Roddy

I like him. Unique because of his size plays bigger. Strong and pretty athletic. Reminds me of a more skilled J’son Stamper. Rugged Byron Houston type. I think he can play in the Big 10.

Big boy with Strength and Power. Gophers should get on board. He has a unique style and can catch the ball. That is my new requirement for any and all recruits.

STrib: Can Gophers add another from Sunrise? Four-star guard Crowley sets official visit

Can the Gophers start a pipeline with Sunrise Christian Academy?

Richard Pitino hired former Sunrise Christian coach Kyle Lindsted to be one of his new assistants this offseason. Bakary Konate and Dupree McBrayer previously joined the Gophers after finishing their prep career at Sunrise.

Pitino hopes to add another product of the Kansas school with four-star Sunrise Christian 2019 guard Austin Crowley, who recently scheduled an official visit with the Gophers for Aug. 30.

The 6-foot-6, 190-pound West Point, Miss. native narrowed down his list of finalists to three schools recently, including Mississippi and Vanderbilt.

“He has a super high ceiling because I think he’s still growing,” Sunrise Christian coach Luke Barnwell said this week. “I saw him for the first time in July after I hadn’t seen him in a while. I think he grew an inch. His upside is through the roof. He’s really long and really athletic. He can play multiple positions, including on and off the ball.”

Barnwell sees some similarity between Crowley and McBrayer, who he coached for one season at SCA in 2015. McBrayer, a 6-5, 190-pound senior, has averaged 8.9 points, 2.6 assists and 2.1 rebounds in three seasons with the Gophers.

“Austin is more athletic and fast-twitch and makes plays at the rim,” Barnwell said. “Dupree was more crafty and sneaky. Austin is probably more score first. Dupree was always a high-level passer and puts the ball where it needs to be. But they are very similar: thin and long. Austin is bigger than Dupree was as a senior. He’s already 190 and 195. But Dupree has had a good career, so it’s cool to see this is what (Crowley) could do.”

If Crowley continues to grow, his game might even be more comparable to Gophers junior guard Amir Coffey, one of the tallest guards in the Big Ten at 6-8. Coffey’s athletic and could play three positions on the floor this year for Pitino. That versatility is what the Gophers love most about Crowley.

“I think he might grow another inch or two,” Barnwell said. “He might be one of those guys in college who is 6-7 and is versatile and can play multiple positions. Athletically and length-wise, he fits where the game is headed. And he’s got some skills to go with it. He’s scratching the surface of what I think he should be. He had a good July.”

http://www.startribune.com/can-goph...-guard-crowley-sets-official-visit/490365501/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Can Gophers add another from Sunrise? Four-star guard Crowley sets official visit

Can the Gophers start a pipeline with Sunrise Christian Academy?

Richard Pitino hired former Sunrise Christian coach Kyle Lindsted to be one of his new assistants this offseason. Bakary Konate and Dupree McBrayer previously joined the Gophers after finishing their prep career at Sunrise.

Pitino hopes to add another product of the Kansas school with four-star Sunrise Christian 2019 guard Austin Crowley, who recently scheduled an official visit with the Gophers for Aug. 30.

The 6-foot-6, 190-pound West Point, Miss. native narrowed down his list of finalists to three schools recently, including Mississippi and Vanderbilt.

“He has a super high ceiling because I think he’s still growing,” Sunrise Christian coach Luke Barnwell said this week. “I saw him for the first time in July after I hadn’t seen him in a while. I think he grew an inch. His upside is through the roof. He’s really long and really athletic. He can play multiple positions, including on and off the ball.”

Barnwell sees some similarity between Crowley and McBrayer, who he coached for one season at SCA in 2015. McBrayer, a 6-5, 190-pound senior, has averaged 8.9 points, 2.6 assists and 2.1 rebounds in three seasons with the Gophers.

“Austin is more athletic and fast-twitch and makes plays at the rim,” Barnwell said. “Dupree was more crafty and sneaky. Austin is probably more score first. Dupree was always a high-level passer and puts the ball where it needs to be. But they are very similar: thin and long. Austin is bigger than Dupree was as a senior. He’s already 190 and 195. But Dupree has had a good career, so it’s cool to see this is what (Crowley) could do.”

If Crowley continues to grow, his game might even be more comparable to Gophers junior guard Amir Coffey, one of the tallest guards in the Big Ten at 6-8. Coffey’s athletic and could play three positions on the floor this year for Pitino. That versatility is what the Gophers love most about Crowley.

“I think he might grow another inch or two,” Barnwell said. “He might be one of those guys in college who is 6-7 and is versatile and can play multiple positions. Athletically and length-wise, he fits where the game is headed. And he’s got some skills to go with it. He’s scratching the surface of what I think he should be. He had a good July.”

http://www.startribune.com/can-goph...-guard-crowley-sets-official-visit/490365501/

Go Gophers!!

the more I read about Crowley and the more videos I watch of him the more I like! love the versatility

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice, always felt Roddy was a bit better than Omersa last year for Pulley. Played real well for them this summer. Don’t know what took so long, he’s been productive on the AAU circuit for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, always felt Roddy was a bit better than Omersa last year for Pulley. Played real well for them this summer. Don’t know what took so long, he’s been productive on the AAU circuit for a while now.

Just a guess but we're their concerns about if Roddy would play football or basketball? Maybe that's why recruiting sites haven't rated him or his recruiting picked up late.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Interesting to see Roddy getting offers lately. Been adding them quickly.

Is he a big ten caliber football player?

Interesting to see Roddy getting offers lately. Been adding them quickly.

Is he a big ten caliber football player?

He would be if he was willing to play a position other than qb. Hes been to a couple Gopher fball camps but only played qb and hes not close to a high major qb. With his size and athleticism coaches would instantly take him if he was willing to play de.

Omersa has more upside but Roddy may be better now. Regardless I like the offer

As much as our coaches know about Pulley they really should’ve known he was this good a while ago right? Unless he just made the jump to big 10 talent recently.

I like Roddy a lot. He has refined his game quite a bit this year but has gotten overlooked because D1 is the elite AAU squad in town this year. He has grown man strength and could handle the physicality of the Big Ten right now.

I like Roddy a lot. He has refined his game quite a bit this year but has gotten overlooked because D1 is the elite AAU squad in town this year. He has grown man strength and could handle the physicality of the Big Ten right now.

He is also a good student from a good family.

D1 might be the premier local team but he still played in the EYBL. Plenty of coaches saw him. He isn’t overlooked because he is playing on Pulley.

As much as our coaches know about Pulley they really should’ve known he was this good a while ago right? Unless he just made the jump to big 10 talent recently.

I look at it more like it's probably a sign of how terribly 2019 recruiting is going for this staff. This is not to say Roddy can't/won't be a better player than these guys, but here is at least a partial list of PF types who have offers from the Gophers with some of them coming in July: Zeke Nnaji, Tray Jackson, Justin Wilson, Jared Jones, Luke Anderson, and Robbie Beran. That's not including a few guys who could be considered SF or PF (Matthew Hurt, Malik Hall, Tyler Wahl) or more of a C (Tre Mitchell, Zach Freemantle, Kadin Shedrick) despite at least one site listing each of those guys as a PF. The only player on this list who Roddy even compares to in terms of current offers is Justin Wilson (best offers outside of the Gophers being UConn and Pittsburgh while Roddy has Northwestern and Nebraska). I think the logical way to lean here is that the staff is striking out and moving down their list as opposed to changing their evaluation on August 9th.

We must have pretty good odds of landing Roddy, what with our Pulley pipeline, his friendship with Oturu/Jarvis/Gabe etc

we made the top 9 for Rocket Watts...guard out of Michigan

we made the top 9 for Rocket Watts...guard out of Michigan

I'd feel a lot better about our chances if Sparty wasn't involved.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I swear I saw Robert Jones with a gopher basketball T on last night. He is massive. I'm 6'3" and he is way taller than me, and filled out with muscle. I wish the gophers would formally offer.

I swear I saw Robert Jones with a gopher basketball T on last night. He is massive. I'm 6'3" and he is way taller than me, and filled out with muscle. I wish the gophers would formally offer.

Why? hes a fringe high major guy. Had a rough summer and alot of high majors that were after have backed off. His recruitment will be interesting.

And not in the finals for Kadin Shedrick a super nova rising kid going into the top 50 in September.

Are you looking for a cookie because the badgers made his top 8? Things are looking good. :rolleyes:

And not in the finals for Kadin Shedrick a super nova rising kid going into the top 50 in September.

You are a goofy character.

Sometimes you present yourself as this accomplished agent of some sort. I think you have stated to be involved in some self made consulting or sports agent business endeavors.

Then you get caught up in some really stupid child’s play like above.

Either you’re faking how accomplished you are, or you are a really weird and petty accomplished old dude that for some reason likes to slight gopher fans.

Top Bottom