All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Recruiting is an absolute train wreck this class. Crowley was the only guy who had set a visit that I thought was a no doubt solid addition. Tyrell Terry the consensus 3rd best player in Minnesota is ranked the 82nd best prospect in the country. To date, the Gophers haven't scheduled a VISIT much less secured a commitment from a player that is ranked 82nd or better. When Pitino struck out on the 2017 class locally, he at least landed Isaiah Washington who was the 62nd best prospect in the country and rated higher than many of the local players. This year? These are the rankings of the players scheduled to visit after the Crowley news:

Luke Anderson: 226
Yavuz Gultekin: 166
Jared Jones:190
David Roddy: Unranked

For what it's worth, Iowa State is considered the favorite for Anderson as they have been recruiting him the longest and are selling him on playing SF/Wing which appeals to him while everyone else sees him as a PF. All of these players are also rated below the consensus 4th best prospect in Minnesota, Tyler Wahl who is ranked 124 nationally. I was fine with Pitino not making Terry/Wahl priorities (allegedly there was no contact with Wahl until they randomly offered him this Spring), but that was when I assumed he had out of state targets of better talent or comparable talent that he saw as a better fit.

The striking out on recruiting has been going on for more than a full calendar year now as the Gophers needed just ONE out of state kid, preferably a guard, in the 2018 class and lost out on multiple targets. They didn't lose out to blue bloods either but schools like Creighton, Princeton, Houston and Purdue. Not that losing any one of those recruiting battles is cause for alarm, but losing all of them certainly was.

My concern about how Pitino would recruit the 2019 class was a major reason why I thought Coyle needed to make a move after last years disaster. That said, to this point recruiting for this class is going even worse than I feared it would. I would have never guessed we'd be looking at the very real possibility of exactly zero top 100 recruits and possibly no top 150 recruits! Hopefully Pitino is in better shape with Hurt, Nnaji, Watts, Beran, and Beverly than it appears he is.

One other note, not even getting Crowley up on a visit when he goes to Sunrise which is allegedly the pipeline for new assistant Kyle Lindsted is not a good look. We've now lost out on two Sunrise targets in Tray Jackson and Austin Crowley.

Remember when we said spring recruiting was a train wreck and who in the hell can Pitino get? Well we all were thrilled he got Carr, Willis and Stull. There’s time left this fall and lots of time in the spring. Mason, Murphy, Curry, McBrayer, Jarvis and Gabe were all not in the top 100 of their class and I’m thrilled we got them. Let’s just relax and see how it all plays out please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recruiting is an absolute train wreck this class. Crowley was the only guy who had set a visit that I thought was a no doubt solid addition. Tyrell Terry the consensus 3rd best player in Minnesota is ranked the 82nd best prospect in the country. To date, the Gophers haven't scheduled a VISIT much less secured a commitment from a player that is ranked 82nd or better. When Pitino struck out on the 2017 class locally, he at least landed Isaiah Washington who was the 62nd best prospect in the country and rated higher than many of the local players. This year? These are the rankings of the players scheduled to visit after the Crowley news:

For what it's worth, Iowa State is considered the favorite for Anderson as they have been recruiting him the longest and are selling him on playing SF/Wing which appeals to him while everyone else sees him as a PF. All of these players are also rated below the consensus 4th best prospect in Minnesota, Tyler Wahl who is ranked 124 nationally. I was fine with Pitino not making Terry/Wahl priorities (allegedly there was no contact with Wahl until they randomly offered him this Spring), but that was when I assumed he had out of state targets of better talent or comparable talent that he saw as a better fit.

The striking out on recruiting has been going on for more than a full calendar year now as the Gophers needed just ONE out of state kid, preferably a guard, in the 2018 class and lost out on multiple targets. They didn't lose out to blue bloods either but schools like Creighton, Princeton, Houston and Purdue. Not that losing any one of those recruiting battles is cause for alarm, but losing all of them certainly was.

My concern about how Pitino would recruit the 2019 class was a major reason why I thought Coyle needed to make a move after last years disaster. That said, to this point recruiting for this class is going even worse than I feared it would. I would have never guessed we'd be looking at the very real possibility of exactly zero top 100 recruits and possibly no top 150 recruits! Hopefully Pitino is in better shape with Hurt, Nnaji, Watts, Beran, and Beverly than it appears he is.

One other note, not even getting Crowley up on a visit when he goes to Sunrise which is allegedly the pipeline for new assistant Kyle Lindsted is not a good look. We've now lost out on two Sunrise targets in Tray Jackson and Austin Crowley.
Wow can I grab a beer with you sometime. I literally agree with every word you just said.

I wouldn’t get too worked up about it yet. The players that the services say we are after and who the coaches are actually recruiting are not always the same. We have been surprised almost every year with a couple of players that Pitino brings in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Remember when we said spring recruiting was a train wreck and who in the hell can Pitino get? Well we all were thrilled he got Carr, Willis and Stull. There’s time left this fall and lots of time in the spring. Mason, Murphy, Curry, McBrayer, Jarvis and Gabe were all not in the top 100 of their class and I’m thrilled we got them. Let’s just relax and see how it all plays out please.

Not worried but i was not thrilled by all of Carr,Willis and Stull.

Not worried but i was not thrilled by all of Carr,Willis and Stull.

Yeah there was definitely some dissatisfaction with the Willis signing, and I think some people took it as a sign that we’d be scraping the bottom of the barrel with the other two scholarships, but I think most were pleased with Carr and Stull.

Maybe a pointless question now, but I wonder if getting Bandoo for 2 years might have been better than getting Stull for 1.

It'll be REAAAAALLY interesting if we make it to the 2nd round of the tournament, have a **** recruiting class and Pitino gets another year.....

It'll be REAAAAALLY interesting if we make it to the 2nd round of the tournament, have a **** recruiting class and Pitino gets another year.....
As long as Pitino gets to the tournament he will get another year, I think people get hung up on the six year thing. Plus comparing the two rosters, once you got passed the Hollins' and maybe Coleman and EE there wasn't much to get excited about. Next year's team will have Washington, Carr, Coffey, Curry and Oturu. Gabe and Omersa should be intriguing bench pieces too. If Willis can play lock down D then that's all will need from him. Plus Iam sure this will be an attractive option for a grad transfer wing to come in and get big minutes. As long as this year's squad doesn't **** the bed, there's no reason to fire the coach.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

As long as Pitino gets to the tournament he will get another year, I think people get hung up on the six year thing. Plus comparing the two rosters, once you got passed the Hollins' and maybe Coleman and EE there wasn't much to get excited about. Next year's team will have Washington, Carr, Coffey, Curry and Oturu. Gabe and Omersa should be intriguing bench pieces too. If Willis can play lock down D then that's all will need from him. Plus Iam sure this will be an attractive option for a grad transfer wing to come in and get big minutes. As long as this year's squad doesn't **** the bed, there's no reason to fire the coach.

I'm with you, the point stands, however.

I'll also say that 6 years ago grand transfers and player transfers were not as abundant. Pitino may just play it out and wait till the end of the year to hopefully prove the trend line isn't pointing straight down for the program and snag some immediately eligible transfers (RULE CHANGE!) or some more people to sit out.

I'm with you, the point stands, however.

I'll also say that 6 years ago grand transfers and player transfers were not as abundant. Pitino may just play it out and wait till the end of the year to hopefully prove the trend line isn't pointing straight down for the program and snag some immediately eligible transfers (RULE CHANGE!) or some more people to sit out.
I'll agree six years was kinda the start of the grad transfer waive when Pitino took over, he brought Malik Smith in and that was the first time I had heard of it. Now that I think of it, not even sure if Malik was a grad transfer, seemed to just appear out of thin air at FIU

Three thoughts:

1) wonder if spring recruiting efforts for 2018 and new coaches affected our 2019 success.

2) while not happy about 2019 yet, I think gophers can survive one class with a few 3 stars if 2020 is equally as good as 2018 looks. When “grading” a recruiting class, I like to gauge how the roster projects when they are juniors. Won’t be ideal to miss out on playmakers - but a class of blue collar fundamental players can suffice. I won’t be in panic mode unless we reach this point again next year.

^builtbadgers, be curious to hear your perspective here. How ruinous can a single subpar class be if surrounded by top talent (guys like Oturo) otherwise?

3) recent history suggests there will be plenty of transfers in and out of this class by the time they hit the floor, then again by the time they are upperclassmen. Our results this year will probably tell us whether we will be a destination for future transfers or not.

Three thoughts:

1) wonder if spring recruiting efforts for 2018 and new coaches affected our 2019 success.

2) while not happy about 2019 yet, I think gophers can survive one class with a few 3 stars if 2020 is equally as good as 2018 looks. When “grading” a recruiting class, I like to gauge how the roster projects when they are juniors. Won’t be ideal to miss out on playmakers - but a class of blue collar fundamental players can suffice. I won’t be in panic mode unless we reach this point again next year.

^builtbadgers, be curious to hear your perspective here. How ruinous can a single subpar class be if surrounded by top talent (guys like Oturo) otherwise?

3) recent history suggests there will be plenty of transfers in and out of this class by the time they hit the floor, then again by the time they are upperclassmen. Our results this year will probably tell us whether we will be a destination for future transfers or not.

Just got to get the right guys, Mason, Murphy they were in the 170-190 range, McBreyer was a little outside the top 150 as well. There will be the one or two star that kills it at a small school and becomes a grad transfer, Springs, hopefully Stull this year. Just don't want a situation where we have guys Mav, To and Chip in the rotation as underclassmen

Three thoughts:

I'll chime in for builtbadgers here since we know how he will respond.

The Badgers do it with 3 stars and so does Virginia.

He needs to nab a few soon. I wonder if they have lost out on any hoping for hurt and zeke.

He needs to nab a few soon. I wonder if they have lost out on any hoping for hurt and zeke.
Zeke tough to read, seems intent on visiting all 20 schools. Hurt will probably pull a Jones and leaves us in until the end, so he can play up how hard it was to say no to playing with his brother. Did we offer Jones?

It's August. It's fair to be nervous about the class, but way too early to call it a disaster. Missing on Crowley hurts, but Tyrell Terry going elsewhere isn't a big deal given we will have Washington, Carr, and Willis. Let's see how the class fills out before deciding it sucks.

Zeke tough to read, seems intent on visiting all 20 schools. Hurt will probably pull a Jones and leaves us in until the end, so he can play up how hard it was to say no to playing with his brother. Did we offer Jones?

I have no clue on either but it seems to me that Zeke wants to go away to school, I think he is gone, it seems like Hurt is unlikely but still a chance.

Zeke isnt coming here. This staff knows that, theres a reason they are recruiting a bunch of other bigs. Hurt is still wide open and has MN right there with everyone else.

It's August. It's fair to be nervous about the class, but way too early to call it a disaster. Missing on Crowley hurts, but Tyrell Terry going elsewhere isn't a big deal given we will have Washington, Carr, and Willis. Let's see how the class fills out before deciding it sucks.

But is it fair to call it a train wreck? Which would be worse, any way, a disaster or a train wreck?

I'll chime in for builtbadgers here since we know how he will respond.

The Badgers do it with 3 stars and so does Virginia.

Thanks, there is some truth to that but it has been more about evaluation, development, character and defense. UVA has a slew of 4 stars that were all upgraded after the UVA evals. More important to the question is that one class does not hurt you and in fact is normal as when your building your program you have playing time and as it gets better you have less of it. I am probably in the minority but i believe the Gophers have a pretty talented roster as is and 19 is a gap with 20 being critical.

Just got to get the right guys, Mason, Murphy they were in the 170-190 range, McBreyer was a little outside the top 150 as well. There will be the one or two star that kills it at a small school and becomes a grad transfer, Springs, hopefully Stull this year. Just don't want a situation where we have guys Mav, To and Chip in the rotation as underclassmen

So, are you saying that Pitino can develop players or he is an excellent judge of talent?

Thanks, there is some truth to that but it has been more about evaluation, development, character and defense. UVA has a slew of 4 stars that were all upgraded after the UVA evals. More important to the question is that one class does not hurt you and in fact is normal as when your building your program you have playing time and as it gets better you have less of it. I am probably in the minority but i believe the Gophers have a pretty talented roster as is and 19 is a gap with 20 being critical.

Roster for next year as is....
PG-IW, Carr
SG-Gabe, Willis
SF-Coffey, Hurt
PF-Curry, Jarvis
C-Oturo

lots of talent on that team for sure. but the obvious need is at Center/PF. with curry having the ability to play center that helps with options. and we need to add another combo guard/SG to the roster. 4 guards is playing with fire.
and the logical position to target for a higher end sit out transfer would be SF. with Coffey and Hurt both being seniors we will need to have a guy on the roster that can hit the ground running for the following year. So either go get a higher end sit out transfer or a high end SF recruit. Which, we will be able to sell that on having a ton of player time available. we will not add 4 4-star players in this class. but I do feel like we need to add a stud at either PF or Center. (that's a hint Hurt and/or Zeke) and some soild upside additions at SG & SF. kind of like Jarvis in the 2018 class. a guy that can sit behind some talent his first year and get his feet wet. And by his sophomore/junior year can be a solid rotation guy.

Last edited:

So, are you saying that Pitino can develop players or he is an excellent judge of talent?

Seems to be that he has a pretty good eye for talent but has yet not proven to be scores high in development and for sure not on defense. There have also been character issues.

Roster for next year as is....
PG-IW, Carr
SG-Gabe, Willis
SF-Coffey, Hurt
PF-Curry, Jarvis
C-Oturo

lots of talent on that team for sure. but the obvious need is at Center/PF. with curry having the ability to play center that helps with options. and we need to add another combo guard/SG to the roster. 4 guards is playing with fire.
and the logical position to target for a higher end sit out transfer would be SF. with Coffey and Hurt both being seniors we will need to have a guy on the roster that can hit the ground running for the following year. So either go get a higher end sit out transfer or a high end SF recruit. Which, we will be able to sell that on having a ton of player time available. we will not add 4 4-star players in this class. but I do feel like we need to add a stud at either PF or Center. (that's a hint Hurt and/or Zeke) and some soild upside additions at SG & SF. kind of like Jarvis in the 2018 class. a guy that can sit behind some talent his first year and get his feet wet. And by his sophomore/junior year can be a solid rotation guy.

Could end up with a big problem at sf. Coffey could have a huge year and go pro and if Matt Hurt does not come here Mike Hurt could end up a grad transfer.

Could end up with a big problem at sf. Coffey could have a huge year and go pro and if Matt Hurt does not come here Mike Hurt could end up a grad transfer.

I can live with that scenario. If Coffey has a great year and goes pro, which would require a BIG jump in his play, we are very likely in the NCAAs. This year is critical. Get in the NCAAs and load up in the spring if we have to. Also..the Fall recruiting is far from over.

yeah Coffey going pro means good thigns for the team overall. And in all honesty....why would Mike Hurt grad transfer out, in your scenario, from getting big minutes at SF for his home state big ten school? and again, in your scenario, with both guys leaving, or even if Mike stays, we would be a prime landing spot for a grad transfer at SF to come in.

yeah Coffey going pro means good thigns for the team overall. And in all honesty....why would Mike Hurt grad transfer out, in your scenario, from getting big minutes at SF for his home state big ten school? and again, in your scenario, with both guys leaving, or even if Mike stays, we would be a prime landing spot for a grad transfer at SF to come in.

Hurt grad transferring would also mean he graduates in 3 years, which I’ll assume he isn’t doing until I see otherwise.

Top Bottom