All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

New offer. 6'6" combo guard who can shoot a bit sounds intriguing.

https://247sports.com/Player/Austin-Crowley-46040950/

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We are also apparently "in the mix" to receive a visit from Crowley.

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/eric-bossi-s-peach-jam-blog-wednesday

With Linsteds family starting Sunrise Christian, id expect to hear a ton of targets from there as long as hes here. Great school to have a pipeline to.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Coaches also watching Tray Jackson, who was earlier mentioned as looking into visiting Minnesota.

There's some good info on Ryan James' twitter about what players the Gopher coaches are watching, specifically out of state targets who haven't gotten a ton of mention in this thread. It's been a bit difficult to track who we're going after out of state for 2019, since there were a handful of offers from Kimani Young, and I don't know if we have much connection to those guys anymore.

Good overview per Marcus: Which 2019 prospects are Pitino and the Gophers watching in July?

To solve the mystery of the Gophers 2019 recruiting class, you have to dig into the history of the two new assistants hired by Richard Pitino this spring.

Some relationships Minnesota’s program built with several prospects were lost when Ben Johnson and Kimani Young departed, but new targets also emerged after Rob Jeter and Kyle Lindsted were hired to fill Pitino’s staff in April.

At the top of Minnesota's 2019 recruiting board, Rochester John Masrhall star Matthew Hurt has always been there, but many of the other targets on the list were prospects followed by Jeter and Lindsted at their previous jobs.

The Gophers enter this July evaluation period Wednesday with potentially four scholarships for the 2019 class. With zero commitments so far, the next few weeks are critical to establishing official visits and filling those spots this fall.

These 2019 targets listed alphabetically below are expected to be seen by the Gophers this month:

http://www.startribune.com/which-20...o-and-the-gophers-watching-in-july/487925791/

Go Gophers!!

looks like we will be getting a visit from PF Tray Jackson this summer/fall

Pitino will get players, no doubt about it. If the Minnesota players think they are too good to stay home, they are sorely mistaking. Pitino will build this program into a B1G powerhouse and he would like to use homegrown players, but he is not going to get caught holding a spot for a kid and get burned. Loyalty for minnesota player goes two ways, they can't expect the U be a far back. It is kind of like PJ in football, if the Minnesota kids want to play for the U they better not drag their feet because the scholarships will be all gone.

Bossi has a few Gopher nuggets in here:

jxj2o6a9xmpobk8rg9ra

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. --- It's day two of Nike's Peach Jam and national basketball analyst Eric Bossi is on hand for all the action. Follow along live for news and updates from the days action.

POINT GUARD NOAH WILLIAMS HAS A VISIT IN MIND
Seattle Rotary is having one of their best grassroots runs in a while and an underrated part of their success has been the play of Noah Williams. A big point guard with some versatility, he quietly does a lot.

Hometown Washington offered early and Williams says that they are the one school that he knows he will for sure take an official visit to. Washington State, Boise State, Gonzaga, Santa Clara and San Diego are among the others in the mix.

Recently, Williams was at Gonzaga for a team camp and said that the staff also gave him a tour of campus.

In making a decision, the opportunity to play point guard is going to be very important but Williams is open to playing whatever backcourt spot a coach may need from him.

TRAY JACKSON SHINES FOR MEANSTREETS, UPDATES RECRUITMENT
Brad Beal Elite and Meanstreets turned into an absolute war that came down the final shot. Meanstreets walked away with a one point victory and for that Tray Jackson deserves a lot of thanks. The 6-foot-8 combo forward was at times sensational but most of all he was steady and versatile.

Jackson defended in the post, he defended on the wing. He hit jump shots, he attacked off the dribble and he played all over the floor. Basically, he looked like that new age positionless basketball player that everybody wants.

Recently, Jackson took an official visit to Oklahoma and he also took unofficial visits to Missouri and Xavier. At Oklahoma he said he felt welcomed and needed, he said Missouri felt like family and he feels he fits Xavier's style. Head coaches from Mizzou and Xavier watched while OU had an assistant on hand.

After the summer finishes and he enrolls at Sunrise Christian in Kansas, he says that Minnesota -- Richard Pitino watched -- will be a place he sees.

Virginia Tech is another in the mix.

Jackson has four official visits left and Xavier and Missouri look very likely to get trips. Otherwise, Jackson is just working on continuing to be more diverse.

"I've been in the weight room working on my body to bang with the big guys," said Jackson. "I also want to be able to hang with the wing guys too."

HUGE CROWD OF COACHES FOR BRAD BEAL ELITE AND MEANSTREETS
The biggest crowd of coaches I've seen so far has shown up for Brad Beal Elite and Meanstreets. Why not? There's a massive amount of talent on the floor.

Headlined by top 40 rising senior E.J. Liddell, BBE also features Oregon bound Francis Okoro, Rivals150 guard Mario McKinney, 2020 top 30 guard Moses Moody and several others being recruited on the mid to high major level.

Meanstreets counters with Rivals150 ranked guards Brandon Newman and Armaan Franklin along with Rivals150 combo forward Tray Jackson and very intriguing three-star forward Chris Payton among others.

So, just who is watching you ask?

I've seen head coaches from Florida, Loyola (Chi.), Oregon, UIC, Purdue, Georgetown, Minnesota, Illinois, Kansas State, Iowa, Duke, Saint Louis, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, Missouri, SIU-Edwardsville, Florida Atlantic, Wisconsin, Boston College, North Carolina, Xavier, Indiana, Drake and Auburn. Among those with assistants I've seen on hand are Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Cincinnati, SMU, Nebraska, Michigan, UMKC, NC State, LIU Brooklyn, Valparaiso, Bradley, VCU and Western Michigan.

SHARIFE COOPER NOT WORRYING ABOUT RECRUITMENT YET
The AOT Running Rebels put a convincing win on the board on against the New Jersey Playaz and their point guard Sharife Cooper was a huge part of it.

He led the relentless attack with 25 points while getting his teammates involved and leading on both ends of the floor.

There's not any question that he'll be a big time target down the road, but when it comes to recruiting, he's not paying much attention. He has been on campus at Auburn but that's it so far and it will be a while before he gets too serious.

For now, he's letting his father handle things.

"I'm just focused on the here and now and finishing up with summer ball before I start to think about that stuff," said Cooper. "I'll like to get up and down in college and get my teammates involved. I'll be looking for a coach that believes in me and them."

Cooper did mention that he's getting to know Tom Crean and the staff at Georgia and that Alabama, Rutgers, Nebraska, UConn, Tennessee, Florida and many others are involved.

ZACH FREEMANTLE IS BEING UNDER RECRUITED
The New Jersey Playaz got beaten pretty soundly by the AOT Rebels, but three-star power forward Zach Freemantle was a standout.

At 6-foot-9 he is skilled, has toughness, scores over either shoulder and he can step out to shoot the ball with some range. He's a good athlete and he competes the entire game and could be a stretch five or a big four depending on system.

The likes of Bucknell, Monmouth, Lehigh, St. Bonaventure, Brown, St. Joseph's and others have offered and he would be a great pickup for any of them. However, given his size and production it's hard to believe he's not worth some exploration from high majors looking for skill on the interior.

AOT REBELS AND NEW JERSEY PLAYAZ START THINGS OFF
Today I'm starting off with the New Jersey Playaz and AOT Running Rebels. Headlined by the backcourt trio of newly minted 2020 five-star shooting guard B.J. Boston, top 30 2020 point guard Sharife Cooper and 2019 five-star wing Isaac Okoro, AOT brings the starpower.

Meanwhile, the Playaz are a tough and all-around solid bunch led by guard Al-Amir Dawes and underrated and skilled four man Zach Freemantle.

During the early parts of the game I've spotted head coaches from Drake, Northwestern, La Salle, Boston College, Georgia Tech, Georgia and Butler to go along with assistants from Valparaiso, Monmouth, LIU Brooklyn, Arkansas State, Tennessee State, Rutgers, Arkansas, Memphis, UMass, Alabama, Florida, Minnesota, N.C. State and UConn among many others.

https://illinois.rivals.com/news/eric-bossi-s-peach-jam-blog-thursday

Go Gophers!!

Also somewhat of interest: Ohio State got a commit from 5 star PG DJ Carton. Gophers offered awhile back, but he trimmed his list to a top 6 that didn't include us, and committed yesterday.

Also somewhat of interest: Ohio State got a commit from 5 star PG DJ Carton. Gophers offered awhile back, but he trimmed his list to a top 6 that didn't include us, and committed yesterday.

Not sure how hard we're going to be recruiting point guards for this class after the two transfers.

Not sure how hard we're going to be recruiting point guards for this class after the two transfers.

Yeah that’s why I’m not particularly surprised or crestfallen to see Tyrell Terry go elsewhere. If Austin Crowley can play spot minutes at PG, while primarily being a 2 or 3, I think he’d be a nice pickup.

This class has all the making of being terrible. Robert Jones and a couple last minutes reaches . . . offering guys like PJ Fuller, who will never go here, why? Tray Jackson is a heavy Oklahoma lean already with huge offers.

This class has all the making of being terrible. Robert Jones and a couple last minutes reaches . . . offering guys like PJ Fuller, who will never go here, why? Tray Jackson is a heavy Oklahoma lean already with huge offers.

Last minute reaches? It's July. Are you new to recruiting? Filling out the class with underwhelming Spring recruits would qualify as last minute reaches, but that's a LONG ways off. As for as Jones goes, he sounds like he has some potential and would maybe help us land Garcia.

Um...what?

I'm incredibly familiar with how it works. Minnesota isn't going to compete nationally for top recruits, for every Washington I can name a dozen plus misses. This years class was awesome, Richard needs to follow it up with a second like it. I'm not in full panic mode but landed Jones does nothing for us landing Dawson. I would say we have a .5% chance of Garcia coming here.

I'm incredibly familiar with how it works.

Your last post made absolutely no sense, so I have my doubts about that.

I'm not in full panic mode but landed Jones does nothing for us landing Dawson. I would say we have a .5% chance of Garcia coming here.

How do you know it does nothing for us? I'm not saying it would, but they are on the same high school team, so if Jones commits here, that likely gives us another person recruiting Garcia (assuming they are friends). That wouldn't guarantee us anything, but it would certainly help.

Tray Jackson has said he plans to visit Minnesota and if you get him on campus you have a chance. Austin Crowley is a solid player and plans to visit. Few other out of state guys that have interest in visiting too. Don't forget about Hurt or Nnaji either the Gophers are a very viable option for both too. Robert Jones would be a solid pickup as a backup center too but I think Sam Freeman is higher on the board right now.

I'm incredibly familiar with how it works. Minnesota isn't going to compete nationally for top recruits, for every Washington I can name a dozen plus misses. This years class was awesome, Richard needs to follow it up with a second like it. I'm not in full panic mode but landed Jones does nothing for us landing Dawson. I would say we have a .5% chance of Garcia coming here.
Dawson will make his own decision but landing Jones certainly wouldn't hurt at all. Garcia is very interested in Minnesota and that .5% you say should be more like 50% at worst as of right now.

Last minute reaches? It's July. Are you new to recruiting? Filling out the class with underwhelming Spring recruits would qualify as last minute reaches, but that's a LONG ways off. As for as Jones goes, he sounds like he has some potential and would maybe help us land Garcia.
Pitino has actually done a pretty solid job with Spring recruiting I'd feel very fine if we go into the Spring with a couple scholarships to fill. Nothing close to the scariness that was Tubby Spring recruiting.

Pitino has actually done a pretty solid job with Spring recruiting I'd feel very fine if we go into the Spring with a couple scholarships to fill. Nothing close to the scariness that was Tubby Spring recruiting.

Agreed, my main point was that it's far too early to be considering any 2019 recruit a last minute reach. The incoming freshman class is the class of 2018, not 2019. Not sure that Abrams knew that when he posted.

Yeah when he took the job he brought in, lil Dre, King, Smith, and McNeil. Almost got Buckles but filled out the roster nicely. Next year, 2014 Diediou, ko ate aren't much to write home about. Lofton turned out well after we booted him unfortunately. 2015 he brought in Murphy and Gilbert also Lynch and Fitz transferred in. 2016 Springs transferred in. This past year Carr, Willis, Stull. If anything I hope he keeps a couple of spots open for transfers and grad transfers.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

No reason to get nervous yet. But with at least 4 scholarships to fill for 2019 I'd really like to get a commit by mid-September. Can't depend on another Jordan Murphy falling into our laps in the spring.

Robert Jones is not a top 200 player. It's hard to "settle" when we have so many homegrown players in state who have much higher ceilings. He reminds me a bit of Jerry Holman. A defensive role player who can score an occassional basket on the block and on put backs. Not sure what he provides with Oturu and Thomas on the roster who do what he does with much more athleticism.

Robert Jones is not a top 200 player. It's hard to "settle" when we have so many homegrown players in state who have much higher ceilings. He reminds me a bit of Jerry Holman. A defensive role player who can score an occassional basket on the block and on put backs. Not sure what he provides with Oturu and Thomas on the roster who do what he does with much more athleticism.

I'd take Jerry Holman

I don't think he's even Jerry Holman. He isn't nearly as explosive in terms of jumping ability or as long. He's more like 6'8"-6'9" and 220-230. He (Jones) moves well, can shoot a little, has a basic low post game, rebound, block a shot, set a screen, works really hard, tough kid, positive personality, great kid. Think more like a poor man's Mark Madsen. He would be a good add, still . . just not a build your program around type.

he provides depth at the 5 position. not a guy that is going to get a alot of minutes, especially early on, but a guy that you can count on to at least hold his own when in there.

we are never going to be able to fill the roster with all 4 or 5 star kids. we are going to need these type of players to fill the roster and maybe by there junior or senior years they provide us with something.

Yup, Jones is that guy. . . . solid roll player as a Junior and Senior. . . . . Great kid who will embody the university.

I don't think he's even Jerry Holman. He isn't nearly as explosive in terms of jumping ability or as long. He's more like 6'8"-6'9" and 220-230. He (Jones) moves well, can shoot a little, has a basic low post game, rebound, block a shot, set a screen, works really hard, tough kid, positive personality, great kid. Think more like a poor man's Mark Madsen. He would be a good add, still . . just not a build your program around type.

Agree Jerry Holman was much better a Big 10 starter.

Jared Jones 6-9 4-Star PF from Georgia picked up a MN offer along with a VT offer yesterday.

Top Bottom