All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Richard seems horribly lazy when it comes to recruiting especially when compared to his counter part Fleck. This is a dreadful class, zero in state guys and hoping that a guy from Germany can reach some potential. Yuck. Plus the promise of plenty of playing time from the 3/4/5 spot. A warm body at this point.

you have no clue

STrib: Gophers' Richard Pitino, new contract in hand, empowered heading into recruiting push

When Richard Pitino and Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle talked about the basketball coach’s future last month, both sides moved quickly toward crafting a new contract at season’s end.

Some coaching staffs have their recruiting classes finished in the fall, but the Gophers were looking at a busy spring. They could fill four or five more open scholarship slots in this spring signing period, which starts Wednesday.

Pitino enters this recruiting fray backed by a new deal signed earlier this month that extends him through the 2023-24 season.

“It’s something we talked about during the season, but we both agreed let’s just finish this thing out,” Pitino said. “As a head coach, rarely do you feel completely comfortable. Maybe John Calipari [does] now that he has a lifetime contract at Kentucky. But other than that, you’re scratching and clawing every season.

“It’s nice to get to five years. It does help in recruiting to show that commitment, to show those guys this is where you want to be and continue to build it.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...wered-heading-into-recruiting-push/508673312/

Go Gophers!!

I'm glad you mentioned Fleck. He is probably as good of a recruiter as you will find anywhere. Yet he has not landed a single 5 * and just a few 4* players. Why? Because he is a lousy recruiter? Nope. We haven't been winning yet and it's cold up here. When one of those two things changes, then Fleck will get better and better players. For now, I am going to create as much of a carbon footprint as I can.....

That's not really a fair comparison because this state produces way better basketball talent than football talent..

In the 2017-2020 MN high school classes there were/are:

4-star football recruits -- 4
4-star basketball recruits -- 10
5-star football recruits -- 0
5-star basketball recruits -- 3

How many swing and misses this year? I've been a fan of gopher hoops since the 70's but I'm sick and tired of being the bridesmaid.

How many swing and misses this year? I've been a fan of gopher hoops since the 70's but I'm sick and tired of being the bridesmaid.
We need more kids from Nassau in the Bahamas...

This is a HUGE miss for Lindsted and this staff. Very disappointing. Im usually pretty optimistic with recruiting, but this was definitely plan A. I don't think there is a good plan B for guard.

Sucks that we missed on Sherfield, but maybe we didn't have a good plan B at guard because we don't really need another one this class after signing Tre. At this point, getting Greshem for some extra depth and shooting would be acceptable. 3, 4, and 5 were always much bigger needs for this class.

Sucks that we missed on Sherfield, but maybe we didn't have a good plan B at guard because we don't really need another one this class after signing Tre. At this point, getting Greshem for some extra depth and shooting would be acceptable. 3, 4, and 5 were always much bigger needs for this class.

Agree that a 4 that can play right away and then another 4/5 were the biggest needs but now with Coffey most likely gone imo, we only have 5 guys to play the 1-3. I also wouldn't count on Tre Williams being a surefire thing (I think he is a nice recruit but he is an unknown commodity) and I have said it before that Hurt is best suited for 10 min off the bench. That would leave us at 3 guys I might have confidence in that we will be playing in the 1-3. Not much depth, but if Williams can be a solid contributor right away that would be huge.

Agree that a 4 that can play right away and then another 4/5 were the biggest needs but now with Coffey most likely gone imo, we only have 5 guys to play the 1-3. I also wouldn't count on Tre Williams being a surefire thing (I think he is a nice recruit but he is an unknown commodity) and I have said it before that Hurt is best suited for 10 min off the bench. That would leave us at 3 guys I might have confidence in that we will be playing in the 1-3. Not much depth, but if Williams can be a solid contributor right away that would be huge.

Hurt could be good if he could shoot a little more liberally. I'm not saying he has to become John Wick, but he does need to shoot when he is open.

Hurt could be good if he could shoot a little more liberally. I'm not saying he has to become John Wick, but he does need to shoot when he is open.

You have no idea how many times I've screamed "SHOOT THE BALL" at my TV. Him and Stull just refused to shoot the ball when they had the space. God bless Gabe and his mentality, that kid will shoot it with no hesitation even if he's 0fer on the night.

Is this class dreadful? It's currently ranked 11th in the Big 10, last years 2018 class was 8th so you see how those ranking shake out. I'm just not impressed with Richards approach to recruiting.

I'm not sure that necessarily means he's horribly lazy.

I included SF as a position of need. PG/SG just isn't a big need this class.

Is this class dreadful? It's currently ranked 11th in the Big 10, last years 2018 class was 8th so you see how those ranking shake out. I'm just not impressed with Richards approach to recruiting.

How do you think the 2018 class would rank now?? I'd say pretty darn good considering that both Oturu and Kalscheur were likely in the top 10 conference freshmen. Isn't how they perform on court what counts? I think that the 2018 class, especially considering that Willis and Carr are also part of it, will be pretty fondly remembered as time goes on.

I included SF as a position of need. PG/SG just isn't a big need this class.

Well we are going to play someone that is a guard at SF so to me that means we might need another guy. The only person that you would probably classify as a traditional SF would be Hurt. So yeah we either have a really big problem that we don't have a 4/5 that can play the 3, but conversely we do have a 1/2 that can play the 3.

I don't mean to argue positions but its obvious that we are going to be running a 3 guard lineup at this point.

Wake me up when we sign someone.

Might let you keep sleeping as its more peaceful and you may need the nap....

Anyways, college recruiting is totally different. This whole spring and transfer free for all is wild stuff and it's not even close to being over yet. It certainly does create a little more anxiety though. Also need to count Carr and Willis as two new guys even though they count under last years class.

I'm also excited to see what this staff can do developmentally. I think Jeter and Lindsted can evaluate and develop better talent, but I'm interested in seeing the product.

You are able to debate results, but unless you are really close to the program you really know nothing of his approach to recruiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone we bring in is unknown, and every school faces this. Very few schools have six known commodities at 1-3. :)

Well we are going to play someone that is a guard at SF so to me that means we might need another guy. The only person that you would probably classify as a traditional SF would be Hurt. So yeah we either have a really big problem that we don't have a 4/5 that can play the 3, but conversely we do have a 1/2 that can play the 3.

I don't mean to argue positions but its obvious that we are going to be running a 3 guard lineup at this point.

As is almost all of college basketball. I would have taken Virginia’s three guard lineup this year - 5’9, 6’2, 6’5. Also started a 6’7 wing and one 6’9 big.

Anyone we bring in is unknown, and every school faces this. Very few schools have six known commodities at 1-3. :)

I don't think these guys suck by any means but if you want to look at it in a realistic way we have maybe two known commodities? A mediocre SEC guard in Willis, a PG who was solid for a team who I don't think won a conference game, a true freshman that isn't a top 100 player, and a guard who is very good in Kalscheur.

Yeah I would say it is reasonable to think we are thin at the 1-3. We don't have anyone we can flex from the 4 to the 3 right now either which is tough. As soon as we lose a guy to an injury or foul trouble we will be in major trouble as we will only be able to bring 1 off of the bench. Its just tough because we don't have a lengthy guard or forward who is versatile.

I don't think these guys suck by any means but if you want to look at it in a realistic way we have maybe two known commodities? A mediocre SEC guard in Willis, a PG who was solid for a team who I don't think won a conference game, a true freshman that isn't a top 100 player, and a guard who is very good in Kalscheur.

Yeah I would say it is reasonable to think we are thin at the 1-3. We don't have anyone we can flex from the 4 to the 3 right now either which is tough. As soon as we lose a guy to an injury or foul trouble we will be in major trouble as we will only be able to bring 1 off of the bench. Its just tough because we don't have a lengthy guard or forward who is versatile.

Why do we need anyone to flex from 4 to 3? We may need someone to flex and guard a 4, such as Coffey if back.

Why do we need anyone to flex from 4 to 3? We may need someone to flex and guard a 4, such as Coffey if back.

We don’t and we won’t because it’s not an option. If Coffey isn’t back who is going to guard a B1G 4 out of the guards? Also I do think we could let Jarvis sit behind a grad transfer this year and start his JR year. If him and Oturu started alongside each other I think that could be a very solid combo. Those two plus Gabe and Carr will be a solid starting lineup. I would like to see us try to stockpile guard talent since I think we have solid bigs for the future if we get a grad transfer. Big if but I think we will land one. And don’t forget about Curry he could at least play spot minutes.

Honesty though if we signed a wing that was long though we would probably cut out a guards minutes down the road, so I see what you are saying.

You are able to debate results, but unless you are really close to the program you really know nothing of his approach to recruiting.

Aren't results all that matter?

Aren't results all that matter?

I do not believe that the end justifies the means. I want great results, but not at any cost. I do believe in core values, and that you can win with a program that has a strong moral compass. So, I do believe that more than results matter. Great results and ethical leadership are not mutually exclusive.

To bring context to my response you were referencing, I was saying that “Abrams” has every right to debate results, but that he really has no way of knowing the approach Pitino is using which he said he doesn’t like.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Richard seems horribly lazy when it comes to recruiting especially when compared to his counter part Fleck. This is a dreadful class, zero in state guys and hoping that a guy from Germany can reach some potential. Yuck. Plus the promise of plenty of playing time from the 3/4/5 spot. A warm body at this point.

Fleck just let another in-state guy get away to Iowa State the other day FYI. That's three in one class!

Top Bottom