All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I was told by a somewhat reliable source last September or so that the gophers were the team to beat for Hurt. A month ago, that same source said that our horrible season really ruined our chances with him which are close to none.

I'd like to think we'd still have a chance at Nnaji. Would suck to lose him of everyone.

I was told by a somewhat reliable source last September or so that the gophers were the team to beat for Hurt. A month ago, that same source said that our horrible season really ruined our chances with him which are close to none.

I'd like to think we'd still have a chance at Nnaji. Would suck to lose him of everyone.

If that is true, then maybe us having a really good season could get him interested again.

If that is true, then maybe us having a really good season could get him interested again.

Let’s hope he holds off on his commitment to Blue Blood University long enough to watch us play a few games. He might be pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hurt has an offer from us, right? Why on Earth would he consider going anywhere else? He appears to be good enough.

It's too bad we aren't an Addidas school. D1 MN is loaded this year and next year with Carlson and Garcia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It's too bad we aren't an Addidas school. D1 MN is loaded this year and next year with Carlson and Garcia.

How many young kids do you know that are actually excited to wear Adidas shoes? Yes, I know the “pay to go to that school” scams that are happening. But most kids, not receiving illegal benefits would much rather wear Nike on the court any day of the week. Or go to a school with a winning history.

I remember living in Madison, WI and hearing a few players complain they had to sport Adidas shoes. My guess is wearing Under Armour today isn’t much better.

Not that it is a done deal or anything, but from what I hear Wahl and Nnaji are Wisconsin leans as it stands right now. Honestly I am a bit surprised Wahl hasn't committed to them yet because I was hearing rumors that it was his dream school and that he was just waiting for an offer, so it's probably a good thing he hasn't committed yet and is examining all his options.

Thanks for the alleged scoop, but your Reid Travis info forever killed your credibility.

Next.

Nnaji and family are very up front about taking several more unofficial visits beyond the 5 official. They are very set on following their plan to find the very best fit both for academics and basketball. I do think it is a near certainty that Wahl goes to UW. Perhaps Nnaji finds the gophers a great fit.

How many young kids do you know that are actually excited to wear Adidas shoes? Yes, I know the “pay to go to that school” scams that are happening. But most kids, not receiving illegal benefits would much rather wear Nike on the court any day of the week. Or go to a school with a winning history.

I remember living in Madison, WI and hearing a few players complain they had to sport Adidas shoes. My guess is wearing Under Armour today isn’t much better.

Adidas has been killing Nike lately.

Not that it is a done deal or anything, but from what I hear Wahl and Nnaji are Wisconsin leans as it stands right now. Honestly I am a bit surprised Wahl hasn't committed to them yet because I was hearing rumors that it was his dream school and that he was just waiting for an offer, so it's probably a good thing he hasn't committed yet and is examining all his options. I don't know what it is, but badgers have pretty good pipeline to Lakeville for some reason. In terms of Nnaji, I don't see him ending up in Wisconsin with more and more schools offering, but as it stands right now, the word is he slightly leans Wisconsin over Minnesota if it's between the 2 schools,I think hedstrom might be in his ear, but anything can happen between now and signing day so we will see.

This is at odds with what Ryan James has reported most recently. Of all the 2019’s Wahl is the most high on the Gophers. Nnaji is very intrigued by UCLA and Iowa is more of a threat than Wisconsin. He also said from a few AAU contacts that it seems Wisconsin has fallen a peg or two in the eyes of most recruits, compared to where they were with peak Bo Ryan a few years ago.

This is at odds with what Ryan James has reported most recently. Of all the 2019’s Wahl is the most high on the Gophers. Nnaji is very intrigued by UCLA and Iowa is more of a threat than Wisconsin. He also said from a few AAU contacts that it seems Wisconsin has fallen a peg or two in the eyes of most recruits, compared to where they were with peak Bo Ryan a few years ago.

I’m hoping you are right about Wisconsin. They were not a pretty sight last year, so hopefully that sticks more prominently in their memories.

I agree. I'd say Under Armor is a much stronger preference for young people compared to adidas as well, at least for everyday apparel. Could be a different story for basketball shoes.

Yeah the Nnaji steam is all coming from Wisconsin people. They think because they were on him first and he would fit well there that he will come there which others highly doubt. It seems like Wisconsin insiders basically think every Minnesota kid they offer wants to go there which isn't the case at all. They said it when Wahl got offered and he may end up there but he isn't just waiting to do it he is very much interested in Minnesota. They said it with Carlson, Garcia, and Terry as well their insiders are really kind of delusional.

Like builtbadgers said, we've given out a few new offers lately.

#59 Harlond Beverly, PG, 6'4", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Harlond-Beverly-46040841

#60 Mark "Rocket" Watts, SG, 6'2", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Rocket-Watts-94190

#39 Romeo Weems, SF/PF, 6'7", Michigan

https://247sports.com/Player/Romeo-Weems-94252

#257 Jordan Wright, SG, 6'6", Louisiana

https://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Wright-46048543

Romeo Weems released a top 5 of Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Oregon, and DePaul.

I am only referring to the pay for play scenario.

After the whole Tide Pod thing, I stopped keeping track of what's cool and what's not.

Off to Hampton for session 4 of EYBL. This will generate a whole flurry of refinement for 2019 offers.

Another offer to a Michigan kid. 4 star power forward.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not that it is a done deal or anything, but from what I hear Wahl and Nnaji are Wisconsin leans as it stands right now. Honestly I am a bit surprised Wahl hasn't committed to them yet because I was hearing rumors that it was his dream school and that he was just waiting for an offer, so it's probably a good thing he hasn't committed yet and is examining all his options. I don't know what it is, but badgers have pretty good pipeline to Lakeville for some reason. In terms of Nnaji, I don't see him ending up in Wisconsin with more and more schools offering, but as it stands right now, the word is he slightly leans Wisconsin over Minnesota if it's between the 2 schools,I think hedstrom might be in his ear, but anything can happen between now and signing day so we will see.

For anyone that still cares for my insight, I no longer think Nnaji is a Wisconsin lean between the 2 schools, but gophers have a lot of work to do to get a commitment.

For anyone that still cares for my insight, I no longer think Nnaji is a Wisconsin lean between the 2 schools, but gophers have a lot of work to do to get a commitment.

So your saying it's pretty wide open with Nnaji at this point? Not really leaning towards any school?

Nnaji is the one guy I really want in the 2019 class as really our only need for the 2019 team is a backup center. As is right now, we should have a solid 9 man rotation with

Washington/Carr
Willis/Kalscheur
Coffey/Hurt
Curry/Omersa
Oturu/ Nnaji?

Terry and Wahl would be nice but not absolute necessities for the 2019 team. Otherwise we could get another grad transfer at center next year.

So your saying it's pretty wide open with Nnaji at this point? Not really leaning towards any school?

Nnaji is the one guy I really want in the 2019 class as really our only need for the 2019 team is a backup center. As is right now, we should have a solid 9 man rotation with

Washington/Carr
Willis/Kalscheur
Coffey/Hurt
Curry/Omersa
Oturu/ Nnaji?

Terry and Wahl would be nice but not absolute necessities for the 2019 team. Otherwise we could get another grad transfer at center next year.

PS. Terry committed to Stanford last week.

I continue to be concerned about the 2019 class. The normally fairly positive Ryan James is concerned as well. On the latest addition of "Talk Gopher Buckets", Ryan stated that the out of state players who are reacting most positively to the Gophers are Jonathan McGriff, Jordan Wright, Jalen Hill, and Harlond Beverly. He said that Rocket Watts was really positive on the Gophers in one conversation with him and said he wanted to visit, but since that time he hasn't answered/responded to any of Ryan's attempts to contact him. He also stated that no out of state kids had set up a visit for June and that usually the Gophers have multiple kids in every June. Just looking at that group of 4 though and neither McGriff (who is currently injured) or Wright are rated very highly.

Zeke is the guy I really, really want and think is a very important recruit for Pitino. I didn't get the vibe from the podcast that the Gophers are leading for Zeke as of now either. I won't really sweat the rumored "loss" of Wahl to Wisconsin or the loss of Terry to Stanford because I don't feel like either is a great fit for what Pitino wants to do. That said, the Gophers have 4 open scholarships and both of those guys are rated as highly as almost anyone who is considering the Gophers from out of state.

I continue to be concerned about the 2019 class. The normally fairly positive Ryan James is concerned as well. On the latest addition of "Talk Gopher Buckets", Ryan stated that the out of state players who are reacting most positively to the Gophers are Jonathan McGriff, Jordan Wright, Jalen Hill, and Harlond Beverly. He said that Rocket Watts was really positive on the Gophers in one conversation with him and said he wanted to visit, but since that time he hasn't answered/responded to any of Ryan's attempts to contact him. He also stated that no out of state kids had set up a visit for June and that usually the Gophers have multiple kids in every June. Just looking at that group of 4 though and neither McGriff (who is currently injured) or Wright are rated very highly.

Now I'm concerned because you're concerned

Now I'm concerned because you're concerned

Last year was a huge buzz kill for a program that looked like it was on a major upswing. It will take a little time for that hangover to wear off. However, my guess is that the local guys will be talking a lot and playing some pickup ball with the guys on the squad. If they start to see that we are locked and loaded and that Pitino looks to be secure, things could change a lot just over the summer.

Zeke is the guy I really, really want and think is a very important recruit for Pitino. I didn't get the vibe from the podcast that the Gophers are leading for Zeke as of now either. I won't really sweat the rumored "loss" of Wahl to Wisconsin or the loss of Terry to Stanford because I don't feel like either is a great fit for what Pitino wants to do. That said, the Gophers have 4 open scholarships and both of those guys are rated as highly as almost anyone who is considering the Gophers from out of state.

I agree with a lot of this. I will be most disappointed if Zeke goes to Wisconsin. I get he has a lot of family in the Madison area so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but we're losing Jordan Murphy right after this year so the opportunity for playing time is there.

I think they need to grab at least a high school wing player and a high school big man for this up coming recruiting cycle. I think Pitino is going to dive more and more into the transfer/grad transfer market and do the Hoiberg model. They're actually set up pretty well post 2019, assuming 2018-2019 season goes well.

I don't think Wahl and Zeke both sign with Wisconsin. They are similar players Wahl is a more a blend 3/4 and Zeke is more a 4 that can play both forward spots. Both guys can play multiple forward spots, handle, shoot, post, drive etc.

Top Bottom