All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Depending on how long Oturo stays in college a kid like that may be your best option, it's nice to get all 4* but if we get three years from Oturo a serviceable substitute that gets 8 or 9 minutes a night might be your best option.

I would take this guy in a heartbeat. He might be big, but he's fluid and has some feel to his game. He's not a stiff. Dont know why he only has one offer.

Funny on the twitter thread that his mom was answering questions about him, including disclosing that he has a 2.7 GPA.

I thought from the video he looked more like a possible Jordan Murphy replacement than a center. Goes hard to the basket and seems to have the hops to dunk in traffic. Lack of Jumpers in his video makes him look similar to Murph.

I thought from the video he looked more like a possible Jordan Murphy replacement than a center. Goes hard to the basket and seems to have the hops to dunk in traffic. Lack of Jumpers in his video makes him look similar to Murph.

Agreed. And I know the trend is guys that can stretch the floor, but in my opinion, you still need guys down low to do the dirty work. I still have to believe there is something funny going on with his recruitment.

6’5-6’10” depending on the source I guess.

You guys notice how he kicks his legs unnecessarily on his dunks! Lol

Sounds like a less athletic version of Omersa.
We need shooters on this team first and foremost.

I haven't heard anything about recruiting in a minute. Are we just all in on Matthew Hurt

PF Sam Freeman may visit in late Jan. WIng Tajautae Williams was recently offered. Believe he’s from Chicago. PG Tony Johnson is still on our radar. That’s off the top of my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a less athletic version of Omersa.
We need shooters on this team first and foremost.

Given that we have 2 guards sitting out this year and 1 recruited to replace McBrayer and Stull I think our focus will now be on PF and C to replace Murphy and Stockman.

Given that we have 2 guards sitting out this year and 1 recruited to replace McBrayer and Stull I think our focus will now be on PF and C to replace Murphy and Stockman.

Couldn't hurt to get a grad transfer or JUCO PG if there are attractive options. I do think a good season will help us more on the grad transfer front this spring.

EDIT: Actually we should have Washington and Carr next year and be set at PG, but maybe a true frosh PG who wouldn't have to play in '19-20 would be ideal for depth.

Last edited:

Gotta think they look to try to add another wing too. As Lakers612 said, there’s been very little recruiting chatter but hopefully they are in a good spot with Drumgoole. He’d be a nice wing prospect to groom for a season with the potential to start after Coffey/Hurt graduate. Or maybe they go back to the transfer pool, if they could find the SF version of Marcus Carr that’d be great.

Gotta think they look to try to add another wing too. As Lakers612 said, there’s been very little recruiting chatter but hopefully they are in a good spot with Drumgoole. He’d be a nice wing prospect to groom for a season with the potential to start after Coffey/Hurt graduate. Or maybe they go back to the transfer pool, if they could find the SF version of Marcus Carr that’d be great.

Could be but Coffey could have a great year and go pro and Hurt may graduate and grad transfer.

Can never have enough guards in college basketball. Post depth (Oturo, Curry, Omersa, and Hurt) is pretty good and they may look at grad transfers. We may be keeping it a little thinner on purpose due to 2020 having a ton of quality bigs we are in on.

Could be but Coffey could have a great year and go pro and Hurt may graduate and grad transfer.

Bring it on! I hope he has a good enough year to go pro! That would almost surely mean that we do to the tourney and suddenly Minnesota becomes a little more attractive to go to for spring recruits and transfers...and perhaps even for Matthew Hurt

How much does the fact that we have two players becoming eligible after transferring this year impacted our recruiting?

I feel like we often forget that the Gophers have Marcus Carr and Payton Willis waiting in the wings. They'll like be better, more prepared than most true freshman next season.

As far as I'm concerned, we have Carr, Willis, and Williams locked up as our incoming class. Now all we need is one big man to replace Jordan Murphy (I know that Curry is slated to start at PF next year, so if that's the case, we will need a recruit to take up minutes at both PF and C a la Curry)

Can never have enough guards in college basketball. Post depth (Oturo, Curry, Omersa, and Hurt) is pretty good and they may look at grad transfers. We may be keeping it a little thinner on purpose due to 2020 having a ton of quality bigs we are in on.

Disagree. We really need a backup center to replace Matz next year as we only will have one true 5 man on the roster next year in Oturu. Having Curry backup Oturu at center next year in addition to starting at PF is far from ideal. We are set at PG next year with Carr and IW, SG with Gabe and Willis and SF with Coffey and Hurt plus Williams can play either the two or the three. We really need another big.

Last edited:

Bring it on! I hope he has a good enough year to go pro! That would almost surely mean that we do to the tourney and suddenly Minnesota becomes a little more attractive to go to for spring recruits and transfers...and perhaps even for Matthew Hurt

I'd rather he have a pretty good this year and a great year next year or even two pretty good years. Overall net benefit to the program would be better than if he bolts after this year.

Correct me if I am wrong, but, as of right now, we have 10 scholarship players next season.

Projected roster next season
PG: Washington/Carr
SG: Kalscheur/Willis
SF: Coffey/Hurt/Williams
PF: Curry/Omersa
C: Oturu

I would think our depth chart would look like this:

Projected depth chart next season
PG: Carr/Washington

It will be interesting to see if the Coffey at point experiment will continue next year. We have two new guys who are capable of manning the point. If this experiment was only done out of necessity, then I could see a Carr/Kalscheur/Coffey/Curry/Outuru lineup going far. It gets weird if Pitino insists on playing Coffey at the point. That would likely mean either freshman Williams or senior Hurt will get the starting nod

Correct me if I am wrong, but, as of right now, we have 10 scholarship players next season.

It will be interesting to see if the Coffey at point experiment will continue next year. We have two new guys who are capable of manning the point. If this experiment was only done out of necessity, then I could see a Carr/Kalscheur/Coffey/Curry/Outuru lineup going far. It gets weird if Pitino insists on playing Coffey at the point. That would likely mean either freshman Williams or senior Hurt will get the starting nod
Doubt Coffey plays point next year with Carr eligible and (hopefully) Isaiah getting better.

Projected depth chart next season with remaining 19 signees:
SG: Kalscheur/Willis/Godspeed or whatever his name is!
PF: Hurt/Curry/Omersa
C: Oturu/Freeman

PG-Carr/IW
SG-Gabe/Willis/Williams
SF-Coffey/Hurt
PF-Curry/Omersa
C-Oturu

And I would expect at least 1 PF/C type signee & a SF signee

let's do work recruiting staff, let's do work!

Projected depth chart next season with remaining 19 signees:
SG: Kalscheur/Willis/Godspeed or whatever his name is!
PF: Hurt/Curry/Omersa
C: Oturu/Freeman

Like your Matthew Hurt prediction!

Disagree. We really need a backup center to replace Matz next year as we only will have one true 5 man on the roster next year in Oturu. Having Curry backup Oturu at center next year in addition to starting at PF is far from ideal. We are set at PG next year with Carr and IW, SG with Gabe and Willis and SF with Coffey and Hurt plus Williams can play either the two or the three. We really need another big.

I didn't say we didn't need another big. I mentioned that I felt more wing depth is more valuable imo. Carr and Willis definitely add to that. Oturo and Curry both can guard the 5 and it's what we are going to be doing most of the rest of the season if Wisconsin was any indication. I get they both start, but you have run one a six minute spurt, replace with Thomas/Hurt who play a 12 min spurt combined, and have them come back in after 2-4 minutes of rest. It's what a majority of NCAA schools do. Now where the need for Matz's minutes come is in foul trouble, which gopher posts do often, so yes there is a need for a 5 that can step in for a minute or two and not lose a game.

Top Bottom