All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

I'm assuming Roddy isn't a priority anymore unless they consider him a 3.

Aren't Roddy and Tray Jackson completely different players? Roddy seems a bit more like Jordan Murphy-style, whereas Jackson seems to be more like Amir Coffey-style.

That's a bad assumption since according to Marcus Fuller, he had an in-home visit with Pitino last night and he's taking his official visit this weekend.

Yea I'd wondered this as well after the Jackson commit, but based on Pitino having an in-home last night and the official set for this weekend, looks like we are still all over Roddy. Perhaps the thinking is that Jackson could play some at the 3?

In other power forward news...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Jones is visiting Northwestern this weekend.

Aren't Roddy and Tray Jackson completely different players? Roddy seems a bit more like Jordan Murphy-style, whereas Jackson seems to be more like Amir Coffey-style.

My impression is that they have different styles, yeah. I just know they're both listed at PF, which is why I assumed we might not prioritize him now. I didn't state that with confidence, it's just an assumption. If they're super high on Roddy and/or think they can play different positions, then we will probably still make him a priority.

My impression is that they have different styles, yeah. I just know they're both listed at PF, which is why I assumed we might not prioritize him now. I didn't state that with confidence, it's just an assumption. If they're super high on Roddy and/or think they can play different positions, then we will probably still make him a priority.

yeah, I saw one recruiting profile where Roddy was listed at 6-5 and as SF. But now, given the post above yours about Jared Jones....do we want Roddy or Jared Jones?

Interestingly enough, Jones is listed as a C on 247: https://247sports.com/Player/Jared-Jones-94237/

So do we have room for Tray Jackson, Roddy and Jared Jones in this class (assuming we don't get Hurt)?

there is no way I would take all 3 unless Tray Jackson can play the 3. And even then, Im starting to cool on the idea of taking a PF in a SG body like Roddy is at this point. Unless he also can play the SF spot

That's a bad assumption since according to Marcus Fuller, he had an in-home visit with Pitino last night and he's taking his official visit this weekend.

He told 247 today that the Gophers might push his visit back.

there is no way I would take all 3 unless Tray Jackson can play the 3. And even then, Im starting to cool on the idea of taking a PF in a SG body like Roddy is at this point. Unless he also can play the SF spot

I'm totally with you. We need to grab a 2-3 type player this class with Stull and McBrayer gone, especially considering Coffey will be gone the following year. I always think its a good idea to have guys come in and log some minutes their freshman year and then can move into a starting role their sophomore year if need be.

Nice to hear. This doesn't necessarily mean he's a high priority though. Also not saying that he isn't. If they think him and Jackson can play different positions and/or they're super high on them both, then it makes sense to continue to prioritize him. Either way, doesn't hurt to continue recruiting him.

I would like to get another wing player and someone with ability to drill 3's

I think Roddy would be a role player, glue guy type player like Michael Hurt and that's fine. 4 year, long term player that has a lot of potential and maintains the Howard Pulley pipeline. We have enough good players that this incoming class doesn't need to play a big role right away unless they are supreme talents like Tray Jackson.

I think Roddy would be a role player, glue guy type player like Michael Hurt and that's fine. 4 year, long term player that has a lot of potential and maintains the Howard Pulley pipeline. We have enough good players that this incoming class doesn't need to play a big role right away unless they are supreme talents like Tray Jackson.

How many scholarships do we have open for this class? At least 4, but maybe 5?

big picture for next year at PF
PF-Curry JR, Jackson FR, Jarvis SO

So after this year we still have Curry for 2 more years, Jarvis for 3 more years, & a freshman in Jackson. All of whom will be 4 year players. Would you agree that Jarvis is already that 4 year glue guy/role player/upside guy at the PF spot? I don't know where Roddy would fit in? Again this is assuming he is a PF. If he can play 3/4 I can maybe see it. but either way he would seem like a redshirt guy for next year....and yes I know that doesn't happen very often in bball. but we would have the luxury to do that with him

Last edited:

Not sure focusing on someone where there are three others that can play the position is the best option, someone that can play center like Jones would be ideal, get a center and a wing and you could take a flyer on Roddy and hope for the best. Doubt he's comming with the roster makeup.

Guys, don’t get too hung up on trying to hard wire players into a specific position. Pitino wants versatile, athletic players that can float between positions. He likes to have the ability to switch up styles on the fly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Roddy seems to have a very defined position: undersized 4. To be effective, he needs to be Bonzie Colson. Bonzie's stats are here: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/bonzie-colson-1.html To his credit, Roddy's EYBL stats with Pulley suggest he could be that type of player. That said I see that Colson, despite being 6'5 had a 7'0 wingspan which obviously helped him play the 4 at his size. I don't really see a middle ground for Roddy: either he's effective enough on offense and on the boards to negate what he will almost assuredly give up defensively or he's not.

FWIW, in his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie tempered excitement a little bit on Jackson. He said Xavier recently dropped out of their recruitment of Jackson, Doogie said he found it interesting that some media outlets reported Tray's comment that he considered Michigan State, Purdue, Oregon, etc., but Doogie went on to say that Michigan State and Oregon did not offer him. He also said Oklahoma's interest in Jackson "cooled" after they tried to get him. Doogie said: "bottom line from what I have been told is there is some potential there. This is a good start, not a great start for the Gophers 2019 recruiting class."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

Doogie... please. Bobby Wilson’s batting average and Doogie’s scoop percentage are real similar.

Meh, we all know Doogie has a hard-on for Minnesota kids. I'd temper my expectations on Doogies reporting.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

FWIW, in his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie tempered excitement a little bit on Jackson. He said Xavier recently dropped out of their recruitment of Jackson, Doogie said he found it interesting that some media outlets reported Tray's comment that he considered Michigan State, Purdue, Oregon, etc., but Doogie went on to say that Michigan State and Oregon did not offer him. He also said Oklahoma's interest in Jackson "cooled" after they tried to get him. Doogie said: "bottom line from what I have been told is there is some potential there. This is a good start, not a great start for the Gophers 2019 recruiting class."

http://www.1500espn.com/tag/the-scoop/

Go Gophers!!

does Doogie realize that Xavier has commitments from 1 PF, 1 PF/C & 1 C already in the 2019 class. maybe, just maybe, that had something to do with them dropping out of the Tray Jackson race?

Roddy is probably 1 inch shorter than Murphy. Muprhy could be all big ten. I think we are ok.

Meh, we all know Doogie has a hard-on for Minnesota kids. I'd temper my expectations on Doogies reporting.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

He isn't actually reporting since he has zero sources. I'd call it more rumour mongering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom