All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Kobe Brown didn't wait until next Tuesday to announced his decision. He posted on Twitter this afternoon he's headed to Missouri. Not a surprise, but that closes that door. With Amir not getting an NBA Combine invite, he now has 2 weeks to decide his future.

Getting a back up for Carr is fantastic. Hopefully he'll commit and do better in that role than Washington did. Position of need. If Coffey returns...really an exciting year coming up. Hopefully someone or a group of people can replace Murphy's rebounding acumen.

Getting a back up for Carr is fantastic. Hopefully he'll commit and do better in that role than Washington did. Position of need. If Coffey returns...really an exciting year coming up. Hopefully someone or a group of people can replace Murphy's rebounding acumen.

Bingo! Biggest need and question mark for next year's team is in the trenches under the basket.

per Shama:

ESPN college basketball authority Fran Fraschilla has followed Alihan Demir, the 6-9 forward and grad transfer from Drexel who is the latest member of coach Richard Pitino’s Golden Gophers 2019 recruiting class.

“I expect him to be a solid role player up front,” Fraschilla told Sports Headliners this week. “Not a star, but just a good role player for them. Someone that gives them power inside. He shoots the three but that’s not really his game. He’s more of a banger, plays with toughness. Very good passer.”

Demir, a native of Turkey who averaged 14.8 points and 6.4 rebounds while making third team All-Colonial Athletic Association last season, joins a newcomers group that also includes 2019-2020 freshmen Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas), Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany) and Tre’ Williams (Dallas, Texas).

Minnesota’s freshmen class is ranked No. 37 in the nation by 247sports.com.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

per Shama:

ESPN college basketball authority Fran Fraschilla has followed Alihan Demir, the 6-9 forward and grad transfer from Drexel who is the latest member of coach Richard Pitino’s Golden Gophers 2019 recruiting class.

“I expect him to be a solid role player up front,” Fraschilla told Sports Headliners this week. “Not a star, but just a good role player for them. Someone that gives them power inside. He shoots the three but that’s not really his game. He’s more of a banger, plays with toughness. Very good passer.”

Demir, a native of Turkey who averaged 14.8 points and 6.4 rebounds while making third team All-Colonial Athletic Association last season, joins a newcomers group that also includes 2019-2020 freshmen Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas), Isaiah Ihnen (Boeblingen, Germany) and Tre’ Williams (Dallas, Texas).

Minnesota’s freshmen class is ranked No. 37 in the nation by 247sports.com.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

im excited for him. His game sounds like he'll be a good fit

STrib: Gophers not finished with 2019 class: Prep school guard and former Nebraska recruit visited

The late signing period ended earlier this week, but the Gophers are still looking to put the finishing touches on their 2019 recruiting class.

Highest on the priority list for Richard Pitino is to add another guard who could help the Gophers run their offense in the 2019-20 season.

Three-star New Hampton School (N.H.) guard Mika Adams-Woods made his official visit to Minnesota on Tuesday and Wednesday, but there’s no word yet on an announcement date from him.

Adams-Woods thanked the Gophers for having him on an official visit after it ended. He posted pics wearing a Minnesota uniform an his Instagram account, but wrote that he was not committed.

Minnesota jumped on his recruitment this month. Other schools are showing more interest as well, including Cincinnati recently.The 6-foot-3, 175-pound senior from New York was a former Nebraska recruit who asked to be released from his signed letter of intent last month when Tim Miles was replaced by Fred Hoiberg as Cornhuskers coach.

“I think people if they see Mika they’ll be pleasantly surprised,” his former high school coach Gallagher Driscoll said this week. “His biggest thing is he makes everybody around him better. He’s left-handed. Everybody likes playing with Mika. I think he’s a great listener and is very, very coachable. He’s not one of those guys who they will take him just to fill a spot. I think he’s competitive enough to put himself in a situation to be playing some (major) minutes. I just think he’s really good. You need somebody to get the ball from Point A to Point B.”

Adams-Woods was considering Massachusetts, Florida International and St. Joseph’s after reopening his recruitment earlier this spring. The Gophers have been searching for another ballhandler and facilitator to add to their 2019 class, which includes guard Tre’ Williams, forward Isaiah Ihnen and center Sam Freeman.

In his second season at New Hampton this year, Adams-Woods averaged 19 points, 6.2 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals. He also shot 56.8 percent from the field and 42.5 percent from three-point range.

“I think he was under recruited,” said Driscoll, who coached Adams-Woods at Bishop Ludden. “He’s a true point guard who had an unbelievable year this year at New Hampton. There was a period when he was scoring 25 point per game and shooting close to 50 percent from the three-point line.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...nd-former-nebraska-recruit-visited/510078882/

Go Gophers!!

STrib: Gophers not finished with 2019 class: Prep school guard and former Nebraska recruit visited

The late signing period ended earlier this week, but the Gophers are still looking to put the finishing touches on their 2019 recruiting class.

Highest on the priority list for Richard Pitino is to add another guard who could help the Gophers run their offense in the 2019-20 season.

Three-star New Hampton School (N.H.) guard Mika Adams-Woods made his official visit to Minnesota on Tuesday and Wednesday, but there’s no word yet on an announcement date from him.

Adams-Woods thanked the Gophers for having him on an official visit after it ended. He posted pics wearing a Minnesota uniform an his Instagram account, but wrote that he was not committed.

Minnesota jumped on his recruitment this month. Other schools are showing more interest as well, including Cincinnati recently.The 6-foot-3, 175-pound senior from New York was a former Nebraska recruit who asked to be released from his signed letter of intent last month when Tim Miles was replaced by Fred Hoiberg as Cornhuskers coach.

“I think people if they see Mika they’ll be pleasantly surprised,” his former high school coach Gallagher Driscoll said this week. “His biggest thing is he makes everybody around him better. He’s left-handed. Everybody likes playing with Mika. I think he’s a great listener and is very, very coachable. He’s not one of those guys who they will take him just to fill a spot. I think he’s competitive enough to put himself in a situation to be playing some (major) minutes. I just think he’s really good. You need somebody to get the ball from Point A to Point B.”

Adams-Woods was considering Massachusetts, Florida International and St. Joseph’s after reopening his recruitment earlier this spring. The Gophers have been searching for another ballhandler and facilitator to add to their 2019 class, which includes guard Tre’ Williams, forward Isaiah Ihnen and center Sam Freeman.

In his second season at New Hampton this year, Adams-Woods averaged 19 points, 6.2 rebounds, 4.5 assists and 1.9 steals. He also shot 56.8 percent from the field and 42.5 percent from three-point range.

“I think he was under recruited,” said Driscoll, who coached Adams-Woods at Bishop Ludden. “He’s a true point guard who had an unbelievable year this year at New Hampton. There was a period when he was scoring 25 point per game and shooting close to 50 percent from the three-point line.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...nd-former-nebraska-recruit-visited/510078882/

Go Gophers!!

Seems like an intriguing prospect. I think I'd still prefer a grad transfer PG, but would okay with him taking the (likely) last scholarship.

Adams-Woods got the shaft from Nebraska. It appears that he will land on his feet somewhere (hopefully with the Gophers) and have a much better experience than what he had at Nebraska.

Looks like a really good shooter, 38% from 3 in the eybl, 42.5% from 3 in prep school this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaA3ndfCSzA

I hadn't really looked into how good this kid really is but I'm sold. Has good size at 6'3" for a PG, can shoot the ball, and has good athleticism/quickness. Adams-Woods would round out this 2019 recruiting class nicely... hope we get him.

MAW looks like a good competitor, steady ball handler, and reliable shooter. Would love to have him on the squad - when was the last time the Gophers had a reliable 2nd PG?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6'3" pt guard who can move and shoot. Im sold as well. 247 indicates umass has the inside track, closer to home i suppose. Looks like his offer list is mostly mid majors including iona.

Gophers only have one point guard who has never played.

6'3" pt guard who can move and shoot. Im sold as well. 247 indicates umass has the inside track, closer to home i suppose. Looks like his offer list is mostly mid majors including iona.

This kid has a chance to come in on May 18th and compete for the starting point guard spot. Carr has never played a minute so there is no guarantee he is ahead of this kid. Worst case scenario is he is the first point guard off the bench on a NCAA tournament team that has a chance to win the Big Ten.

He will see the court here for at least 10-15 minutes a game. More if he beats out Carr or there is an injury. Hope he chooses to be a Gopher.

With McBrayer graduating, we need another lefty. Just sayin...

Worst case scenario is he is the first point guard off the bench on a NCAA tournament team that has a chance to win the Big Ten.

Worst case? What are you smoking? That's more like best case. The Gophers have virtually no shot of winning the Big Ten.

This kid has a chance to come in on May 18th and compete for the starting point guard spot. Carr has never played a minute so there is no guarantee he is ahead of this kid. Worst case scenario is he is the first point guard off the bench on a NCAA tournament team that has a chance to win the Big Ten.

He will see the court here for at least 10-15 minutes a game. More if he beats out Carr or there is an injury. Hope he chooses to be a Gopher.

Carr was a starting PG as a freshman in the ACC averaging 10pts and 4ast. This upcoming season would be his 3rd year in the college ranks and his 2nd around the gopher program, there is essentially no shot he gets beaten out for the starting role. I'd bet whatever you want he is the starting PG if he is healthy and on the roster to start the season

Worst case? What are you smoking? That's more like best case. The Gophers have virtually no shot of winning the Big Ten.
I agree that this lid won't play much next year. I actually think we're in a spit as long as Coffey comes back, all if the returning players plus the grad transfer make up a decent rotation. The Freshman will truly come in, compete and take minutes away. Not saying they can't, couple probably will, but there's nothing free.
As far as winning the league, Sparty is a heavy favorite now, than it's probably Maryland, after that I would put us in a camp with OSU, Michigan and Iowa for the 3-6 spots

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Carr was a starting PG as a freshman in the ACC averaging 10pts and 4ast. This upcoming season would be his 3rd year in the college ranks and his 2nd around the gopher program, there is essentially no shot he gets beaten out for the starting role. I'd bet whatever you want he is the starting PG if he is healthy and on the roster to start the season

Carr did all of that on a terrible team. His Win Shares for that season is less than 1. He was worth less than 1 win.

Color me skeptical that he is destined to be a good player. We need more help at PG. If Carr works out, then great. He hasn't done enough to deserve the kind of faith that you and others have in him.

Carr did all of that on a terrible team. His Win Shares for that season is less than 1. He was worth less than 1 win.

Color me skeptical that he is destined to be a good player. We need more help at PG. If Carr works out, then great. He hasn't done enough to deserve the kind of faith that you and others have in him.

Agree, but based on purely physical characteristics, quickness, leaping, athleticism, etc. he is going to be the leader, whether that translates to game time performance remains to be seen, I am very optimistic though.

Agree, but based on purely physical characteristics, quickness, leaping, athleticism, etc. he is going to be the leader, whether that translates to game time performance remains to be seen, I am very optimistic though.

Nate mason: 2015-16. We only won 8 games but we knew he was a good player. I liken Marcus carr to this situation

Nate mason: 2015-16. We only won 8 games but we knew he was a good player. I liken Marcus carr to this situation

Mason was worth 3 Win Shares on an 8 win team. Carr was worth less than 1 on his terrible team.

Mason was a bright spot. Carr was part of the problem.

Faith has little to do with it. I’m optimistic that the 3rd year version of Carr will be better than the freshman version, and confident that he will be a competent ball handler for the majority of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mason was worth 3 Win Shares on an 8 win team. Carr was worth less than 1 on his terrible team.

Mason was a bright spot. Carr was part of the problem.

Who cares about win shares. Put on the tape. Kid was a good player and played with maturity well beyond most freshman.

You might be right. Hope you are wrong. Word out of practices last year was Carr was often the best player on the floor. Of course, practices aren’t games.

From what I saw at last year’s scrimmage, I thought Carr looked the part. Played at both ends, had tenacity, made winning plays. Beyond that, he always seemed to be having fun on the bench with other players/seems to have a great attitude, which is always a massive bonus in a PG.

Of course adding some depth would be great, but I’m confident he’ll be our PG next year.

You might be right. Hope you are wrong. Word out of practices last year was Carr was often the best player on the floor. Of course, practices aren’t games.

Carr is a very good player but was not the best player on the floor. Coffey, Murph were better and even to this day people are sleeping on Gabe.

Top Bottom