All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Did he make a video like this for his other visits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kobe posted a WKU visit-video:

I’m biased, but he looks more excited with his parents in the maroon and gold visit-video.

Ryan James shared some recruiting info on the latest edition of the One and Done podcast (Gopher edition, they also did a Wolves edition, so if you listen make sure you click on the Gophers one). It really sounds like it's possible we won't have a commitment before the signing period begins which is November 14.

Dereon Seabron: Ryan had a co-worker interview Dereon after his scrimmage against Oak Hill which occurred a few days after his Gopher visit. Dereon told that guy that he planned to make a decision in December. Ryan kind of dismisses this as the kid just throwing out a date in December as kids either sign in November or wait until Spring. So it sounds

Kobe Brown: Kobe Brown has only taken two official visits, but has taken a million unofficials over the past 12 months. Trying to visit every school in America.

Sardaar Calhoun: Issue with Calhoun is he thinks he is a qualifier, but hasn't shown the NCAA that he is a qualifier yet. You can't take visits until you prove you are a qualifier, and he obviously can't sign unless he is a qualifier.

David Roddy: Has to decide if he wants to play football or basketball.

Matthew Hurt: Almost assuredly won't make a decision this Fall. Ryan thinks eight schools including the Gophers all have an equal 12.5% chance at landing him.

My own thoughts are that Calhoun seems like the most likely commit this Fall assuming that he can show he's a qualifier and get up to Minnesota for a visit in the next couple of weeks. I think if the Gophers were going to land Seabron, he would have committed by now. The Gophers are his only power 5 offer and he's already taken his visit so I don't see how he's convinced before the signing period ends if he's not on board now. Kobe Brown seems like a wildcard as his stock has fallen over the past few months. He went from being ranked 108 in the Rivals 150 in early July to being unranked now and is all the way down at 248(!) in 247's rankings. His composite ranking of 164 is being propped up by the very shaky ESPN rankings which have him as the no.79 recruit in the nation. I personally don't see David Roddy as high major basketball player and would be surprised if the Gophers or Northwestern took him. Northwestern already has two big man recruits in this class in Jared Jones who they beat out the Gophers for and Robbie Beran who the Gophers also offered and was a player I really liked (ranked 78 in the composite and 46 by 247). My guess is that he ends up playing football at the best school that will bring him in as a QB or play basketball at Colorado State.

The Gophers and Illinois are the only two schools without a commitment for the 2019 class. Illinois is currently the crystal ball favorite for the 80th ranked player nationally Terrence Shannon. The only school the Gophers have a chance to pass in the B1G recruiting rankings by November signing period is Wisconsin who has a commitment from Tyler Wahl. To do that, the Gophers would need to specifically land Kobe Brown (or I guess it is possible that the currently unranked Seabron or Calhoun could be ranked and end up higher than Wahl by the signing period). It really does seem like the most likely scenario is the Gophers finishing last in the B1G this Fall unless they can pull in somebody we currently don't know about in the last month. For reference here are the players committed to schools in the B1G that are ranked ahead of the Gophers most highly regarded remaining known target (not including Hurt obviously as he's not signing in the Fall):

Ohio State (3): DJ Carton, Alonzo Gaffney, EJ Liddell
Northwestern (1): Robbie Beran
Michigan (2): Cole Bajema, Jalen Wilson
Purdue (2): Brandon Wilson, Mason Gillis
Penn State (1): Seth Lundy
Maryland (2): Makhi Mitchell, Makhel Mitchell
Iowa (1): Pat McCaffery
Michigan State (1): Rocket Watts
Rutgers (1): Paul Mulcahy
Indiana (1): Armaan Franklin

Teams were listed in order of their current overall recruiting ranking. Only Nebraska and Wisconsin have commitments, but do not have a player ranked above Kobe Brown in the composite rankings. It goes without saying that the only known avenue to salvage this class with high school players is by landing Matthew Hurt in the Spring. Winning this season will cure a lot of ills.

Ryan James shared some recruiting info on the latest edition of the One and Done podcast (Gopher edition, they also did a Wolves edition, so if you listen make sure you click on the Gophers one). It really sounds like it's possible we won't have a commitment before the signing period begins which is November 14.

Dereon Seabron: Ryan had a co-worker interview Dereon after his scrimmage against Oak Hill which occurred a few days after his Gopher visit. Dereon told that guy that he planned to make a decision in December. Ryan kind of dismisses this as the kid just throwing out a date in December as kids either sign in November or wait until Spring. So it sounds

Kobe Brown: Kobe Brown has only taken two official visits, but has taken a million unofficials over the past 12 months. Trying to visit every school in America.

Sardaar Calhoun: Issue with Calhoun is he thinks he is a qualifier, but hasn't shown the NCAA that he is a qualifier yet. You can't take visits until you prove you are a qualifier, and he obviously can't sign unless he is a qualifier.

Matthew Hurt: Almost assuredly won't make a decision this Fall. Ryan thinks eight schools including the Gophers all have an equal 12.5% chance at landing him.

My own thoughts are that Calhoun seems like the most likely commit this Fall assuming that he can show he's a qualifier and get up to Minnesota for a visit in the next couple of weeks. I think if the Gophers were going to land Seabron, he would have committed by now. The Gophers are his only power 5 offer and he's already taken his visit so I don't see how he's convinced before the signing period ends if he's not on board now. Kobe Brown seems like a wildcard as his stock has fallen over the past few months. He went from being ranked 108 in the Rivals 150 in early July to being unranked now and is all the way down at 248(!) in 247's rankings. His composite ranking of 164 is being propped up by the very shaky ESPN rankings which have him as the no.79 recruit in the nation. I personally don't see David Roddy as high major basketball player and would be surprised if the Gophers or Northwestern took him. Northwestern already has two big man recruits in this class in Jared Jones who they beat out the Gophers for and Robbie Beran who the Gophers also offered and was a player I really liked (ranked 78 in the composite and 46 by 247). My guess is that he ends up playing football at the best school that will bring him in as a QB or play basketball at Colorado State.

The Gophers and Illinois are the only two schools without a commitment for the 2019 class. Illinois is currently the crystal ball favorite for the 80th ranked player nationally Terrence Shannon. The only school the Gophers have a chance to pass in the B1G recruiting rankings by November signing period is Wisconsin who has a commitment from Tyler Wahl. To do that, the Gophers would need to specifically land Kobe Brown (or I guess it is possible that the currently unranked Seabron or Calhoun could be ranked and end up higher than Wahl by the signing period). It really does seem like the most likely scenario is the Gophers finishing last in the B1G this Fall unless they can pull in somebody we currently don't know about in the last month. For reference here are the players committed to schools in the B1G that are ranked ahead of the Gophers most highly regarded remaining known target (not including Hurt obviously as he's not signing in the Fall):

Teams were listed in order of their current overall recruiting ranking. Only Nebraska and Wisconsin have commitments, but do not have a player ranked above Kobe Brown in the composite rankings. It goes without saying that the only known avenue to salvage this class with high school players is by landing Matthew Hurt in the Spring. Winning this season will cure a lot of ills.

Really good breakdown. I'm very concerned about recruiting, but you're right, if we win this season, it'll help a lot. It also helps that our last class was very good, that can help carry us a little bit. Plus, in today's day and age, if you strike out on high school recruiting, and you win, you can make up for it in grad transfer/transfer recruiting.

does Iowa's commitment count?

Maybe some of these kids committed to the teams involved in the lawsuit will become available. Who does Kansas currently have committed?

Maybe some of these kids committed to the teams involved in the lawsuit will become available. Who does Kansas currently have committed?

a 4 star CG from Arkansas & a 4 star SG/SF from Kansas (who we had offered)

Minnesota kid with some mid-major offers. I think this tweet just saying that our staff has contacted him, not that they have offered.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Also there's some recruiting info in the latest talk gopher buckets podcast that came out within the last couple days.

http://talkgopherbuckets.tumblr.com/

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

139th ranked on rivals, 110th on the 247 composite rankings

The recruiting has been garbage. Too many people here are making excuses. We're in a position to backslide if we don't get some players soon. Spring recruiting is scary.

The recruiting has been garbage. Too many people here are making excuses. We're in a position to backslide if we don't get some players soon. Spring recruiting is scary.

We lost two assistants, our two best recruiting assistants, that's a lot of recruiting contacts lost. Ryan James has also mentioned on podcasts that the lack of commits is less concerning when taking into consideration how many good players Pitino has gotten the spring: Jordan Murphy, Reggie Lynch, Akeem Springs, Marcus Carr, potentially Brock Stull, Matz Stockman, and Payton Willis. I agree that banking on making a killing in spring recruiting isn't really a comfortable position to be in, but we've been pretty good at it with Pitino.

139th ranked on rivals, 110th on the 247 composite rankings

Nice to see something positive on the recruiting front.

Yeah real scarry. Scary like Springs, Carr, Stull, Lynch, Murphy, and Willis to name a few. As much as I would love to have a majority of our class filled right now Pitino has done a very good job recruiting in the spring. Actually wouldn't mind at all if we have 3 to fill this spring coming off a very good season. Spring recruiting was scary with Tubby it hasn't been with Pitino.

Spring recruiting can go either way. I personally like Murphy only out of that group so far. Lynch was a transfer and everyone has a spot in the spring. Plus he ended up being a ton of trouble. Jury is out on what kind of winning Carr and Stull bring. They have to be measured against what recruits we pursued and did not get. It is not like we lost recruits to top 20 programs, look who were losing them to.

We lost two assistants, our two best recruiting assistants, that's a lot of recruiting contacts lost. Ryan James has also mentioned on podcasts that the lack of commits is less concerning when taking into consideration how many good players Pitino has gotten the spring: Jordan Murphy, Reggie Lynch, Akeem Springs, Marcus Carr, potentially Brock Stull, Matz Stockman, and Payton Willis. I agree that banking on making a killing in spring recruiting isn't really a comfortable position to be in, but we've been pretty good at it with Pitino.

Correct. I don't understand why this is so hard for people to grasp. Also we can consider Willis and Carr (Depending on NCAA rulings) as recruits for this class too. One last part, I don't like down classes, but it's following a very good and deep one. Just can't have 2 in a row. Those kill programs.

I am also not concerned about years that lag behind others in recruiting. Outside of the blue bloods this is normal. The caution is that you better have a . a great coach. I pay no attention to where guys are rated by the services. More interested in how they finish in their class when they are done with college, how much did they win. That shoes which coaches have a eye for what they look for and how well they develop. How many UW PLAYERS did Ryan have that were ranked low. UVA has aced this as well. Butler always does it, Jay Wright did it for years. You never beat blue bloods in recruiting but you can beat them with experience and development. Rob Jeter will bring so much in all areas.

I am also not concerned about years that lag behind others in recruiting. Outside of the blue bloods this is normal. The caution is that you better have a . a great coach. I pay no attention to where guys are rated by the services. More interested in how they finish in their class when they are done with college, how much did they win. That shoes which coaches have a eye for what they look for and how well they develop. How many UW PLAYERS did Ryan have that were ranked low. UVA has aced this as well. Butler always does it, Jay Wright did it for years. You never beat blue bloods in recruiting but you can beat them with experience and development. Rob Jeter will bring so much in all areas.

Agreed, wasn't meant as a jab at you. Many others are acting like it will kill the program if this class isn't highly rated. Just like you said, For one, it's not done yet, and two it's not to be judged until they are seniors. Also 100% agree and Can't wait to see what Jeter brings not only recruiting, but with scouts and in game adjustments.

Go Gophers!!

A few points. The 2018 class was merely solid (on paper), it was an average B1G class (8th out of 14) and ranked just 45th nationally. You have to repeat that type of class just to stay in the conversation in the conference and really need to do better than that at least every 3rd year or so. While Pitino has had some success in Spring Recruiting/Transfers (Jordan Muprhy, Reggie Lynch, Akeem Springs), he's also had some noticeable misses in that same time period in Davonte Fitzgerald, Zach Lofton, Ahmad Gilbert, Bakary Konate, and Gaston Diedhiou. The batting average in the Spring period hasn't been great, but the Murphy/Lynch hits were massive and Carr has the potential to be another big one. I can't begin to understand why some think landing Payton Willis was a good thing: bad stats for a team that was worse than the Gophers last year and bad stats as a Freshman too, according to some Vandy folks he was asked to move along to make room for their Freshman class, and not even a hint of other interest in him as a transfer. That's not to say he can't turn his career around, just that he shouldn't be counted on to contribute based on past performance.

It's disappointing to lag behind the rest of the conference in a year where up to 4 Minnesota kids are in the top 150 nationally and 3 of them seem to solidly be in the top 100 across the recruiting services. Tubby went through a long stretch (I posted about it previously) where Joe Coleman was the highest rated kid out of Minnesota for like 3 or 4 recruiting classes, yet he went to 3 NCAA's in 6 years. Pitino's been the coach since the '19 kids were in middle school so he's had plenty of time to develop relationships with them and build his program to a point where it's appealing to them. Hopefully, Matthew Hurt stays home and turns this class from an F to an A. The assistants leaving is on Pitino as the performance of his program through 5 years couldn't make anyone feel secure about their job status beyond the next season. Obviously, the tenuous nature of Pitino's job status is also a major anchor on this recruiting cycle.

I'm not gonna worry so much on the 2019 class. If we get a good 2020 class were fine. Still have faith in Pitino. Everyone right now getting a upset about the recruiting. Have faith Pitino somehow finds a way.

While Pitino has had some success in Spring Recruiting/Transfers (Jordan Muprhy, Reggie Lynch, Akeem Springs), he's also had some noticeable misses in that same time period in Davonte Fitzgerald, Zach Lofton, Ahmad Gilbert, Bakary Konate, and Gaston Diedhiou.

I agree with that with one exception: Zach Lofton. Lofton clearly wasn't a miss when it came to talent. He had a very good career after leaving here and is now on a two-way contract with the Detroit Pistons. His transgressions while here (a bit of a temper and buying some drinks for underage players) didn't seem all that serious to me. He managed to keep it together with a pretty talented team at New Mexico State. He also gave multiple indications that he wanted to stay with the Gophers.

I'm not gonna worry so much on the 2019 class. If we get a good 2020 class were fine. Still have faith in Pitino. Everyone right now getting a upset about the recruiting. Have faith Pitino somehow finds a way.

Agreed. If Carr doesnt get his waiver, the next two seasons after this we'll have:
Backcourt: Washington, Carr, Kalscheur
Frontcourt: Oturu, Curry, Omersa
(Also of couse Coffey next sesdon.)
Pitino has us set up for a good run here. Important to have strong recruiting to build on this and keep the momentum going.

Last edited:

Agreed. If Carr doesnt get his waiver, the next two seasons after this we'll have:
Pitino has us set up for a good run here. Important to have strong recruiting to build on this and keep the momentum going.

What momentum?

They’re coming off a 15-17 with 4-14 conference record.

Currently there is no momentum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Start keeping and signing our MN kids we will create momentum!

It starts this year, go Gophers!

Don't forget Payton Willis, he will be great in a depth role and Hurt for one more season, guard depth will be fine, need a big and a wing for down the road. If Jackson had stayed committed they would be in good shape for the next couple of years.

Top Bottom