All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Not sure we ever had interest, but Goodnews Kpegeol has entered his name in the transfer portal.

looks like after taking an unofficial visit to ol miss last week Austin Crowley has now set up an official visit with them next weekend....and they have switched him to "warmer" for ol miss.

thats where hes from...........maybe him and Sherfield dont like each other :)

Watched Tre Williams and Wasatch play Cole Anthony and Oak Hill today. It was my first full game viewing of Williams and I really didn't come away with a strong impression one way or the other. His first half was flat out bad with a couple of bad turnovers and two fouls to go with 0-3 from the floor though he did have two steals. His second half was stronger with 10 points (I think): 2 made 3's, a drive to finish at at the rim, and 2 of 4 from the free throw line. He also had a nice steal from Cole Anthony near half court though he got blocked at the rim when trying to finish the transition layup. Late in the game he was 0-3 from 3 in the closing minute or so as Wasatch was trying to cut in to a two possession lead for Oak Hill.

From the "eye test", Tre didn't stand out. He wasn't one of the more athletic kids on the floor and, surprisingly to me, looked like he could really benefit from some added size as he appeared to be one of the thinner kids on the court. He did seem to play good fundamental defense, but he wasn't particularly physical. He also appeared to be a good teammate noticeably encouraging one of their bigs who dropped his nice outlet pass that would have lead to a layup. Not standing out in this setting doesn't mean he can't contribute of course as almost everyone on the floor will end up at a power 5 school either this year or next year.

Just impressions from one viewing, please take them as such.

If Coffey is gone (50/50 at worst) then we will get a transfer to take that role. Or a guy like Ihnen is also a possibility. They are going to be able to find someone better than Hurt to start. I think Hurt could play a nice bench role.

Nm

Last edited:

Read on another site that on some telecast, perhaps for the HS national tournament, that there were talking about Sherfield. His final 3 are MN, WSU, and purdue. Will be picking next couple of weeks

Read on another site that on some telecast, perhaps for the HS national tournament, that there were talking about Sherfield. His final 3 are MN, WSU, and purdue. Will be picking next couple of weeks

WSU = Wichita state. Appears grant grew up in Wichita, moved to Arlington tx then returned to Wichita for his senior year

Added: yesterday hoop dirt suggested the Hogs are now focusing on Gregg Marshall.

Last edited:

Small forward Tujautae Williams from Chicago scheduled to visit MN on May 5. Also visiting New Mexico and Texas A&M. 6’6”, looks slim and athletic from his film. Anyone know anything about this kid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small forward Tujautae Williams from Chicago scheduled to visit MN on May 5. Also visiting New Mexico and Texas A&M. 6’6”, looks slim and athletic from his film. Anyone know anything about this kid?

Like that we are getting the last visit. Could be a wing option if Crowley is dialed into Ole Miss.

EDIT: Just watched his video and he looks like he can move well, hit some outside shots and is pretty quick. Reminds me a bit of Amir with the ball.

Last edited:

No worry guys. Pitino will fill in this class nicely. Playing in the B1G is a major draw.

Like that we are getting the last visit. Could be a wing option if Crowley is dialed into Ole Miss.

EDIT: Just watched his video and he looks like he can move well, hit some outside shots and is pretty quick. Reminds me a bit of Amir with the ball.

I usually like the last visit, too, but too often we seem to lose guys before they get to our visit. That happened with Crowley as he committed to Vandy before our visit. I would love for us to get Crowley the second time around.

I usually like the last visit, too, but too often we seem to lose guys before they get to our visit. That happened with Crowley as he committed to Vandy before our visit. I would love for us to get Crowley the second time around.

The fact that Crowley is on an official to Ole Miss the weekend before the signing period starts is not a great sign to me.

The fact that Crowley is on an official to Ole Miss the weekend before the signing period starts is not a great sign to me.

Agree. Crowley’s 247 page shows only Ole Miss. Looks likely to be already determined. I’m guessing we got the word and moved on.

I haven't actually seen any reports that we are recruiting Crowley since he was released from his letter of intent. I'm sure we reached out but it seems more like speculation this time around.

yeah, I agree here. I do not think Crowley will be signing with the Gophers.

That said, I think Williams could be an interesting next option for a wing. If Coffey comes back, he could learn without having to play huge minutes.

I wonder when Lindsted, our Sunrise Christian guy, will actually secure a player from Sunrise Christian?

I wonder when Lindsted, our Sunrise Christian guy, will actually secure a player from Sunrise Christian?

Yeah I'm going to have to agree with you on this one...Crowley and Sherfield to finish out would be prime. Plus a GT.

You say that like he has been striking out for years. This is literally his first year on our staff and he joined a few months before the fall signing period. So, considering we are in the final schools for Sherfield, I'd say he is helping the cause.

You say that like he has been striking out for years. This is literally his first year on our staff and he joined a few months before the fall signing period. So, considering we are in the final schools for Sherfield, I'd say he is helping the cause.

He had relationships with these kids far before he came to Minnesota; it's not like he started recruiting them from scratch, so the crossover to a new school shouldn't be difficult. The guy literally made the SCA program what it is, and although he's been gone for several years you don't lose that influence on the talent pipeline. He's got two prospects from the school on his lines, he should be able to reel in one of them. If he gets Sherfield then he's done an excellent job.

Agree. Crowley’s 247 page shows only Ole Miss. Looks likely to be already determined. I’m guessing we got the word and moved on.

hey, we're still "warm" on his list :). Just wish we were "warmer" like Ole Miss

He had relationships with these kids far before he came to Minnesota; it's not like he started recruiting them from scratch, so the crossover to a new school shouldn't be difficult. The guy literally made the SCA program what it is, and although he's been gone for several years you don't lose that influence on the talent pipeline. He's got two prospects from the school on his lines, he should be able to reel in one of them. If he gets Sherfield then he's done an excellent job.

He also did initially get us Tray Jackson who goes to Sunrise Christian even though he ended up decommitting.

Why is he visiting on May 5? Isn't signing date April 17? I would hope Pitino has his class full by May 5.

Why is he visiting on May 5? Isn't signing date April 17? I would hope Pitino has his class full by May 5.

Signing date is not quite the target in the spring as it is in the fall. Guys still available and in demand are going to make a lot of visits and may not decide right away. I think the German guy is not coming until the following week. That said, I am with you that if we are still searching for players, especially freshmen, on May 5 it won't be a good sign.

Signing date is not quite the target in the spring as it is in the fall. Guys still available and in demand are going to make a lot of visits and may not decide right away. I think the German guy is not coming until the following week. That said, I am with you that if we are still searching for players, especially freshmen, on May 5 it won't be a good sign.

Signing period runs through mid-May

per Sid:

• The Gophers basketball team will have five scholarships available now that guard Isaiah Washington will transfer and if guard Amir Coffey intends to turn pro. There’s a good chance they will sign 6-2 guard Grant Sherfield, a former UCLA commit, from Wichita, Kan. He’s ranked as the No. 122 recruit in the country by 247Sports.com.

http://www.startribune.com/for-do-i...inal-four-retains-its-special-aura/508218672/

Go Gophers!!

sunrise Christian lost to Tre' Williams' Wassatch team despite having Grant Sherfield, Austin Crowley and Tray Jackson. So is Tre just that much better or should we be recruiting all of his teammates?

sunrise Christian lost to Tre' Williams' Wassatch team despite having Grant Sherfield, Austin Crowley and Tray Jackson. So is Tre just that much better or should we be recruiting all of his teammates?

He plays for a top 15 team in the country.

Wassatch is one of the best teams in the country, they have 2 top 50 juniors another 4 star wing thats a jr, a 3 star byu commit and tre williams and their pg is a 3 star jr thats small otherwise hed have high major offers. Also Tray Jackson isnt on that team, he plays on the other sunrise team.

Top Bottom