All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2019/03/13/vols-offer-fast-rising-power-forward-in-2019-class/

Looks like he may have played only one year of US HS basketball.

“Robinson-Nkamhoua was born in Helsinki, Finland and didn’t move to the United States till the summer 2017. Not long after that move, he ended up breaking his foot and had to sit out for a long time. Because of that, he was off the radar for quite some time and didn’t get to show off his skills in the States in front of scouts.”

Robinson-Nkamhoua is certainly a name I associate with Finland. Please tell me his middle name is Toivo. [emoji16]

We do need to replace our Nordic spot on the team!

So I watched the video. I didn't see a lot of 3 point attempts.
However, I did wonder how in the h3ll you can put this many lines on a floor and expect people to know which line is for their sport. Yikes.
84efde791ddead411a835323d89f72c6.jpg

I'm getting pretty concerned that outside of Sherfield in the HS ranks (as he is a legitimate prospect and will contribute here or elsewhere right away), we seem to be going the route of long-term, non-immediate impact guys.

I'm getting pretty concerned that outside of Sherfield in the HS ranks (as he is a legitimate prospect and will contribute here or elsewhere right away), we seem to be going the route of long-term, non-immediate impact guys.

How do any of us know? Any of the three coming on a visit may be high impact. Maybe not. Few had a concern about Washington being a long-term project, and some were even saying he may declare for the draft after his freshman or sophomore year before he even set foot on campus. People thought Gabe might redshirt, and that Murphy would be a project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can only play a certain amount of guys. I'd expect our freshman to only get better, plus we are adding one 4 star guard already and the two transfers. A project guy or two (no more than that) that's willing to be a bench guy isn't a terrible use of a scholarship as long as we develop them. Virginia and other programs do this all the time.

Can only play a certain amount of guys. I'd expect our freshman to only get better, plus we are adding one 4 star guard already and the two transfers. A project guy or two (no more than that) that's willing to be a bench guy isn't a terrible use of a scholarship as long as we develop them. Virginia and other programs do this all the time.

Agree with this. There are very few programs in the country that have a full class of freshmen that are immediate contributors. If you have two or more freshmen that are in your rotation, it’s either a success story and a reflection of good judgement by the staff or your upperclassmen suck and your team probably isn’t very good. Finding balance is key to long term success for a program. Filling short term needs with early impact freshmen as well as more long term projects that can be key players as upperclassmen.

Last edited:

Yavuz Gultekin SF/PF who committed to VT announced he has reopened his recruitment. We were in on him before he committed....he will be another name to watch

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So I watched the video. I didn't see a lot of 3 point attempts.
However, I did wonder how in the h3ll you can put this many lines on a floor and expect people to know which line is for their sport. Yikes.
84efde791ddead411a835323d89f72c6.jpg

I've seen courts with a lot of confusing lines. AAU is notorious for confusing everybody about not knowing where the out of bounds lines really are when they utilize cross court set ups. But, This has to set the dubious record for most ever. Sheesh...

I've seen courts with a lot of confusing lines. AAU is notorious for confusing everybody about not knowing where the out of bounds lines really are when they utilize cross court set ups. But, This has to set the dubious record for most ever. Sheesh...

You never know when someone is going to want to play some pickleball.

Gultekin is already rumored to be visiting Texas A&M this weekend, so I'd assume he's just following Buzz to his new gig. One thing I find interesting is how far out the Gophers have scheduled their reported official visitors. Ihnen is supposed to come over Easter weekend, but Tujautae Williams won't be here until May 3 and Olivier Robionson-Nkamhoua won't be in until May 9. Given when the signing period starts, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers have other targets they hope to land prior to those last two visits hence scheduling them at a time where they won't have to slow play visitors. In contrast, Robinson-Nkamhoua is supposed to visit Illinois this weekend. Does he really wait until after May 9 to make a decision? Just a theory as there could be other reasons as to when the visits are scheduled.

One note on Robinson-Nkamhou: The Gophers offered him after he had an impressive outing against Grant Sherfield's Sunrise Academy where he was going up against a big time national recruit in N'faly Dante.

Gultekin is already rumored to be visiting Texas A&M this weekend, so I'd assume he's just following Buzz to his new gig. One thing I find interesting is how far out the Gophers have scheduled their reported official visitors. Ihnen is supposed to come over Easter weekend, but Tujautae Williams won't be here until May 3 and Olivier Robionson-Nkamhoua won't be in until May 9. Given when the signing period starts, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gophers have other targets they hope to land prior to those last two visits hence scheduling them at a time where they won't have to slow play visitors. In contrast, Robinson-Nkamhoua is supposed to visit Illinois this weekend. Does he really wait until after May 9 to make a decision? Just a theory as there could be other reasons as to when the visits are scheduled.

One note on Robinson-Nkamhou: The Gophers offered him after he had an impressive outing against Grant Sherfield's Sunrise Academy where he was going up against a big time national recruit in N'faly Dante.

With the signing period starting next week, im surprised we havent heard some transfer visitors yet, but maybe they're waiting to see what happens. Or maybe this staff just isnt leaking anything unlike one of their assistants last year. ;)

I’m guessing in many cases it’s not the Gophers’ doing the scheduling. It’s when the prospects are available.

I’m guessing in many cases it’s not the Gophers’ doing the scheduling. It’s when the prospects are available.

I think this is at least the case with Ihnen. I believe he's making a trip from Germany to the US and is going to take all of his visits during that one trip.

I think this is at least the case with Ihnen. I believe he's making a trip from Germany to the US and is going to take all of his visits during that one trip.

I have no idea why, maybe it's because Dirk is retiring, but I am really intrigued with the idea of getting Ihnen!

I’m intrigued about European prospects in general because of what I perceive as a better emphasis on fundamentals and shooting skills. We need more of both on our team.

I have no idea why, maybe it's because Dirk is retiring, but I am really intrigued with the idea of getting Ihnen!

agreed....for some reason im all in on that guy.

I am intrigued as well. Questionable competition, but he shoots the ball well and is very athletic for 6’9. Could turn into a good stretch 4 and be a good fit with Oturu.

I kinda look at Ihnen as a bit of a project but feel that he has the tools to really make an impact once he gets used to playing against stiffer competition. He drives well and strokes it! He will need to get used to getting his shot and picking his spots. Really hope we get him and that he spends the summer in the pro-am league learning how to play against the likes of Mbawkwe, Coffey, and the Jones boys.

This, to me would be the ideal group considering who we are in on and assuming Coffey stays:

Oturu/Freeman
Juiston/Curry/Omersa
Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
Kalsch/Willis/Williams
Carr/Sherfield

That group offers good balance and a lot of flexibility. If Coffey leaves the staff has to figure out whether to fill it or save it.

Edit: Fixed for bonehead error correction.

Last edited:

This, to me would be the ideal group considering who we are in on and assuming Coffey stays:

Oturu/Freeman
Juiston/Curry
Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
Kalsch/Willis/Williams
Carr/Sherfield

That group offers good balance and a lot of flexibility. Save the last one for next year unless a great option pops or another GT that fits.

We would still have an open scholly too, right?

Oturu/Freeman
Juiston/Curry
Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
Kalsch/Willis/Williams
Carr/Sherfield

That group offers good balance and a lot of flexibility. Save the last one for next year unless a great option pops or another GT that fits.

No love for Omersa?

I’m intrigued about European prospects in general because of what I perceive as a better emphasis on fundamentals and shooting skills. We need more of both on our team.

Well, sure, that's the conventional wisdom, but European players are a mixed bag just like players from anywhere else. Like the "box of chocolates" analogy from Forest Gump, you never really know what you are going to get. German Moritz Wagner was darn good for Michigan but German Dominic Uhl was pretty weak for Iowa.

Oturu/Freeman
Juiston/Curry/Omersa
Coffey/Ihnen/Hurt
Kalsch/Willis/Williams
Carr/Sherfield

That group offers good balance and a lot of flexibility. If Coffey leaves the staff has to figure out whether to fill it or save it.

Edit: Fixed for bonehead error correction.

let me ask you this....if Coffey leaves....can Juiston play SF as well?

Top Bottom