All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

interesting. glad they are taking a closer look at him. and if they feel he is worth a scholarship we could get some bonus points for the other guys on that loaded AAU team. Suggs, Holmgren, Dainja, Locket.

David Roddy is announcing his decision on Friday night. 7:00 PM

Can anyone give an up to date assessment of just who we are going after at this point?

Are Kobe Brown, Seabron or Drumgoole supposed to make early decisions?

Hurt SF/PF

Kobe Brown SF
Gerald Drumgoole SF
Myron Gardner SF
Dereon Seabron SG
Sardaar Calhoun SG
Goodnews Kpegeol SG Just had a coach visit him. I don't think he has an offer at this point?
Sam Freeman C ? Not sure how much we are pursuing him anymore

im sure I have missed a couple that people know about. And they are surely a couple that people don't know about that we are going after.

I have no idea where these kids are at with making decisions

Last edited:

I hope we get at least one good recruit this fall. If we have a good to great year, then we are in fine shape to fill out with a few spring recruits, perhaps even Matthew Hurt. If the season somehow goes real badly (I don't expect this at all), then the scholarships would be assets for a new coach. We just need some momentum. Next year we are still sitting fine as we are already 9 deep with solid players:

Oturu
Curry
Omearsa
Coffey
Carr
Kalsheuer
Washington
Willis
Hurt

I hope we get at least one good recruit this fall. If we have a good to great year, then we are in fine shape to fill out with a few spring recruits, perhaps even Matthew Hurt. If the season somehow goes real badly (I don't expect this at all), then the scholarships would be assets for a new coach. We just need some momentum. Next year we are still sitting fine as we are already 9 deep with solid players:

Oturu
Curry
Omearsa
Coffey
Carr
Kalsheuer
Washington
Willis
Hurt

Coffey and Hurt are the only seniors in that group, won't take much recruiting the next couple of years to have decent depth.

Oturu
Curry
Omearsa
Coffey
Carr
Kalsheuer
Washington
Willis
Hurt

if this season goes south (which I agree I don't expect at all either) and if Pitino is fired. That above list of Gopher players will look a lot different! there are always guys that leave if a coach is fired.

Oturu
Curry
Omearsa
Coffey
Carr
Kalsheuer
Washington
Willis
Hurt

Could really use a solid 4 in that class or even a 4/5 guy like Curry. I like Jarvis but not a for sure by any means even though I do think he will be a solid player.

if this season goes south (which I agree I don't expect at all either) and if Pitino is fired. That above list of Gopher players will look a lot different! there are always guys that leave if a coach is fired.

Strongly disagree. Oturu, Gabe, and Jarvis are all hometown guys who wouldn't leave unless they were going to anyways. Willis/Carr would have to sit out again after already losing a year so chances are low. No player wants to sit out two years in a row unless they absolutely hate it here. Coffey and Hurt would both be seniors -- they wouldn't transfer just for their senior year. Curry would also have to sit out another year after already losing 1+ seasons to injury. Washington would be the only one who might be more likely to leave. But I'd even say with him that it could happen anyways if he's not happy with his future playing time prospects here.

Could really use a solid 4 in that class or even a 4/5 guy like Curry. I like Jarvis but not a for sure by any means even though I do think he will be a solid player.

No doubt they go after a big thats ready to play next year, whether thats a high schooler, juco, or grad transfer. Thats gotta be their highest priority

interesting. glad they are taking a closer look at him. and if they feel he is worth a scholarship we could get some bonus points for the other guys on that loaded AAU team. Suggs, Holmgren, Dainja, Locket.

His stock is rising. Kansas State has been watching him closely and I wouldn't be surprised if they offer.

Oturu
Curry
Omearsa
Coffey
Carr
Kalsheuer
Washington
Willis
Hurt

Will you just stop with all that crap! Pitino isn't going anywhere, he will take this team deep into the tourney.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

How does a guy ranked 343 nationally get a three star rating? These systems seem odd to me.

How does a guy ranked 343 nationally get a three star rating? These systems seem odd to me.

Not sure how many 3 stars there are, theres a ton of d1 basketball teams though and alot of guys ranked around him are also going to high major schools. Hes a 4 star on rivals with at least a couple other high major offers. So 3 star seems about right for him.

Go Gophers!!

https://247sports.com/Player/Tre-Williams-46046489/

Took a visit to MN this weekend, Expected to announce his decision this week and sign. Looks like the Gophers are a heavy favorite here.

AAU stats seem incomplete and the team was dominated by a couple of Kentucky leans, small for a SF and 3 point percentage was real low, not sure where this guy will fit in, seems to me like a Coleman type.

It is kind of confusing in that there are at least 3 Tre Williams. From UT, Conn and TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah and Texas..

It is kind of confusing in that there are at least 3 Tre Williams. From UT, Conn and TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are the same guy...I believe. Transferred from Tex after sophomore year.

AAU stats seem incomplete and the team was dominated by a couple of Kentucky leans, small for a SF and 3 point percentage was real low, not sure where this guy will fit in, seems to me like a Coleman type.

Hes suppose to be a really good shooter, so its surprising to see him only shoot only 25% or so in the eybl but it was only on about 30 attempts.

Last edited:

I don't understand the point of taking Tre Williams, that is really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of rankings/offers. He has the type of profile you cringe about when you are recruiting a guy in the Spring (similiar to a Maverick Ahanmisi or Chip Armelin in terms of completely off the radar), I don't remember the Gophers taking anyone like this in the Fall ever. I'd much, much rather just keep all the scholarships open than take a couple of these kids the Gophers are connected to now.

Hes suppose to be a really good shooter, so its surprising to see him only shoot only 25% or so in the eybl but it was only on about 30 attempts.

That would change my perspective, he looks athletic enough to play in the Big Ten but at that size he needs to be able to shoot.

Tre Williams has committed to Minnesota

I don't understand the point of taking Tre Williams, that is really scraping the bottom of the barrel in terms of rankings/offers. He has the type of profile you cringe about when you are recruiting a guy in the Spring (similiar to a Maverick Ahanmisi or Chip Armelin in terms of completely off the radar), I don't remember the Gophers taking anyone like this in the Fall ever. I'd much, much rather just keep all the scholarships open than take a couple of these kids the Gophers are connected to now.

I would speculate that it's partly cosmetic - Pitino doesn't want to be shut out in fall recruiting.

If he is a good shooter, though, I'm ok with it (though you'd wonder why a 6'5" good shooter is ranked in the 300s). Or maybe he's a late bloomer or had a late growth spurt. Right now there's just not a lot of info out there about him. I've only seen one highlight video and it was really short.

Top Bottom