All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

That's bad, right? I was told that 2019 recruiting was nothing short of a disaster.

I don't get these unhinged sky is falling people. Just yesterday we had someone post that the Gophers were going to be terrible for the next 5 years, based upon the recruiting class of Williams and Freeman. First off a 4 star and a 3 star is not a disaster, but then to not even bother to wait and see who else would be signed is ridiculous. Now we have a class of two 4 stars and a 3 star and still could sign more. When was the last time we have had a class like that?

I don't get these unhinged sky is falling people. Just yesterday we had someone post that the Gophers were going to be terrible for the next 5 years, based upon the recruiting class of Williams and Freeman. First off a 4 star and a 3 star is not a disaster, but then to not even bother to wait and see who else would be signed is ridiculous. Now we have a class of two 4 stars and a 3 star and still could sign more. When was the last time we have had a class like that?

Also need to consider that we have two transfer and sit (new school red shirt) guards that will be playing with this class! That is 5 very good players, and we will be adding more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Me neither. Some have been calling it a disaster for months. I get being nervous, but coming to extreme conclusions long before it's finished is odd.

Me neither. Some have been calling it a disaster for months. I get being nervous, but coming to extreme conclusions long before it's finished is odd.

Does that surprise you? It's akin to freaking out after they lost to Illinois. Let the season play out. Let the recruiting cycle play out.

Draw your conclusions after the season and/or after the spring recruit cycle has dried up. Fans are way too knee-jerk in general.

Does that surprise you? It's akin to freaking out after they lost to Illinois. Let the season play out. Let the recruiting cycle play out.

Draw your conclusions after the season and/or after the spring recruit cycle has dried up. Fans are way too knee-jerk in general.

These are things only golfers understand. Don't quit after a double or triple bogey. Play all 18 holes and see what happens! :):)

These are things only golfers understand. Don't quit after a double or triple bogey. Play all 18 holes and see what happens! :):)

sometimes that's my best hole...

Maybe that's my problem bga1! I'll have to try that tonight at men's league!

Easier for me to do with the Gophers than with my golf game. Sadly.

Last edited:

This thread has become so full of logic and reason that I’m not sure how to handle this.

From my perspective, we count the sit-out guys in this class. That means we have thus far a 4-star wing (Williams), a 4-star wing/PF combo (Ihnen), a 3-star center (Freeman), a 3-star combo guard (Willis), and I’m going to call him a 4-star PG in Carr. No idea what he was rated out of high school, but he is ready to plug in as a solid starter next year, and in my book that is a 4-star recruit. Three 4-star and two 3-star guys as new players. Granted, two or three of these guys will need some seasoning, but that is almost always the case. Hopefully more to come!

This thread has become so full of logic and reason that I’m not sure how to handle this.

From my perspective, we count the sit-out guys in this class. That means we have thus far a 4-star wing (Williams), a 4-star wing/PF combo (Ihnen), a 3-star center (Freeman), a 3-star combo guard (Willis), and I’m going to call him a 4-star PG in Carr. No idea what he was rated out of high school, but he is ready to plug in as a solid starter next year, and in my book that is a 4-star recruit. Three 4-star and two 3-star guys as new players. Granted, two or three of these guys will need some seasoning, but that is almost always the case. Hopefully more to come!

Carr was a 4 Star on Rivals & a 3 star on 247 I believe.

either way when you look at the sit out guys we are adding a lot of talent for next year

Carr was a 4 Star on Rivals & a 3 star on 247 I believe.

either way when you look at the sit out guys we are adding a lot of talent for next year

Impossible to know at this point obviously. I'm certainly not going to project a big ten title, but a tournament berth isn't out of the question.

Carr > Washington (should be a big improvement here)
Williams <= McBrayer (Dupree didn't have a very good year last year, but still better than replacement for now)
Freeman = Stockman in production given how little Matz played
Willis > Stull
Ihnen < Murphy
Coffey at end of year > Coffey first 2.5 years (hopefully get more of the end of the year)

Murphy is a huge loss obviously. Add a year of experience to Oturu/Kalscheur/Omersa and a healthy Curry (not banking on it). Some minutes from Hurt. Doesn't look bad on paper.

This latest recruiting news has me pretty excited for next year. I think a true PF is still needed though to hedge for Curry possibly not making it back.

If Coffey is back a top 5 finish isn't out of the question.

Our best case scenario rotation right now would be something like:

Starters:
Carr
Kalsheur
Coffey
Curry
Oturu

Bench:
Willis
Hurt
Williams
Ihnen
Omersa
Freeman

That's a deep team. If Carr is as good as advertised and Oturu continues to develop we'll have plenty of scoring ability.

per the U:

Isaiah Ihnen Inks NLI with Gophers

University of Minnesota head men's basketball coach Richard Pitino announced Wednesday the addition of Isaiah Ihnen, as the 6-9 forward from Boeblingen, Germany signed his National Letter of Intent to join the Gophers next season.

"We are very excited about the addition of Isaiah to our program," Pitino said. "He's extremely versatile on the court and can play multiple positions."

Ihnen is rated the No. 89-ranked prospect in the class of 2019 according to 247Sports, who also lists him as a four-star recruit. He is the second four-star recruit among the Gophers' signing class, joining fall signee Tre' Williams (Dallas, Texas/Wasatch Academy [Utah]).

This past season, Ihnen played for the International Basketball Academy Munich (IBAM) team, where he averaged 13.6 points, 8.3 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.0 blocks per game while shooting 54.3 percent from the field and 35.2 percent from beyond the 3-point arc. Ihnen is the team's top rebounder, second-leading shot blocker and third-leading scorer.

"His potential is off the charts," Pitino added. "We expect Isaiah to come in and make a great impact on and off the court right when he steps on campus."

Ihnen adds to the recruiting class that includes Williams and Sam Freeman (Dallas, Texas/Northwest HS), along with fellow newcomers Marcus Carr (Toronto, Ontario/Montverde Academy) and Payton Willis (Fayetteville, Ark./Fayetteville), who redshirted the 2018-19 season after transferring from Pittsburgh and Vanderbilt, respectively.

Go Gophers!!

I guess I don't get why people were so nervous anyway when you just look at the situation we were in.

We were either going to:
-Make the NCAAs and probably be a more attractive destination for spring recruits and have multiple spots open, which can be nice to have that flexibility available (now, how we've handled spring recruiting and our pickups and their impact is TBD on the court in both the short and long term)
-Miss the NCAAs, Pitino would've been fired, and it wouldn't have mattered how many commits we had during the winter anyway because they all would've been let out of their LOIs regardless and we would've ended up in the same spot with lots of room open.

I'm not saying teams shouldn't recruit during the winter as obviously you should stay on targets but it was pretty apparent that recruiting news for the most part was going to be put on hold the instant we hit the signing day in the fall until we got to the end of the year. Our entire recruiting outlook was going to depend on what happened this year. Sadly, a lot on GH couldn't realize that and were freaking out we weren't getting commitments from borderline HS kids in January.

I guess I don't get why people were so nervous anyway when you just look at the situation we were in.

We were either going to:
-Make the NCAAs and probably be a more attractive destination for spring recruits and have multiple spots open, which can be nice to have that flexibility available (now, how we've handled spring recruiting and our pickups and their impact is TBD on the court in both the short and long term)
-Miss the NCAAs, Pitino would've been fired, and it wouldn't have mattered how many commits we had during the winter anyway because they all would've been let out of their LOIs regardless and we would've ended up in the same spot with lots of room open.

I'm not saying teams shouldn't recruit during the winter as obviously you should stay on targets but it was pretty apparent that recruiting news for the most part was going to be put on hold the instant we hit the signing day in the fall until we got to the end of the year. Our entire recruiting outlook was going to depend on what happened this year. Sadly, a lot on GH couldn't realize that and were freaking out we weren't getting commitments from borderline HS kids in January.

Good post. Of course the big upside to what actually happened is that we have the NCAA appearance on our resume, we have had really good spring recruiting and there is suddenly a good deal of optimism to talk about with the 2020 recruits that will sign before the season starts! There is a great opportunity for a PG and a PF in the fall class and a lot to sell them.

Carr was a 3-star 91 on 247, Willis was a 90 3-star, Freeman is a 3-star 86 and Williams is a 3-star 91. It seems most of the players under 86 have flamed out for us and most of the players over 89 have contributed on some level (if they stayed out of trouble). Using that guideline 4 of these 5 players should be contributing at least off the bench minutes, probably more during their time at the U.

Impossible to know at this point obviously. I'm certainly not going to project a big ten title, but a tournament berth isn't out of the question.

Carr > Washington (should be a big improvement here)
Williams <= McBrayer (Dupree didn't have a very good year last year, but still better than replacement for now)
Freeman = Stockman in production given how little Matz played
Willis > Stull
Ihnen < Murphy
Coffey at end of year > Coffey first 2.5 years (hopefully get more of the end of the year)

Murphy is a huge loss obviously. Add a year of experience to Oturu/Kalscheur/Omersa and a healthy Curry (not banking on it). Some minutes from Hurt. Doesn't look bad on paper.

I agree with this analysis and add that we are losing 5 players and gaining 7. Hopefully we'll have a deeper bench as a result. Last year with two scholarships used by players who were ineligible to play our bench wasn't deep enough to cope with injuries but the time we were in the tournament. Hopefully we'll have 13 players who are eligible and won't face that again.

This latest recruiting news has me pretty excited for next year. I think a true PF is still needed though to hedge for Curry possibly not making it back.

If Coffey is back a top 5 finish isn't out of the question.

Our best case scenario rotation right now would be something like:

Starters:
Carr
Kalsheur
Coffey
Curry
Oturu

Bench:
Willis
Hurt
Williams
Ihnen
Omersa
Freeman

That's a deep team. If Carr is as good as advertised and Oturu continues to develop we'll have plenty of scoring ability.

It's absolutely a deep team, but I think it's ambitious to assume Curry can come back and start with his injury issues. If Freeman can do anything close to what Oturu did as a freshman, that would be huge. Oturu will need help next season, it was a huge bonus for him to have Murphy on the court and to have someone of his ability to compete with in practice. That's why you still need one more big, along with a ball-handler.

I expect Carr to have a big season, it wasn't talked about a lot on here but I've heard one of the reasons IW didn't get a ton of playing time was because Carr frequently out-played him in practice.

It's absolutely a deep team, but I think it's ambitious to assume Curry can come back and start with his injury issues. If Freeman can do anything close to what Oturu did as a freshman, that would be huge. Oturu will need help next season, it was a huge bonus for him to have Murphy on the court and to have someone of his ability to compete with in practice. That's why you still need one more big, along with a ball-handler.

I expect Carr to have a big season, it wasn't talked about a lot on here but I've heard one of the reasons IW didn't get a ton of playing time was because Carr frequently out-played him in practice.

I'd be extremely pleased if Freeman was the player Stockman was but not expecting it. I'm expecting Freeman to contribute as much as Omersa did this year.

Has IW landed somewhere?

My ideal team would include 2 grad transfers, a PF and a guard and right now it looks like Demir and Kareem South are the two most likely. Best case scenario I think our lineup looks like this

PG: Carr, South
SG: Kalscheur, Willis
SF: Coffey, Williams, Hurt
PF: Demir, Ihnen, Omersa
C: Oturu, Curry, Freeman

Of course you can mix around Ihnen, Curry, Omersa etc. but it would look something like that.

And if Demir isn't quite a starting caliber PF then I would go

PG: Carr, Willis
SG: South, Williams
SF: Kalschuer, Ihnen, Hurt
PF: Coffey, Demir, Omersa

Mostly good points for sure. Except the reason IW didnt play was because of how unfair Pitino was toward him. He never had a chance.

My ideal team would include 2 grad transfers, a PF and a guard and right now it looks like Demir and Kareem South are the two most likely. Best case scenario I think our lineup looks like this

PG: Carr, South
SG: Kalscheur, Willis
SF: Coffey, Williams, Hurt
PF: Demir, Ihnen, Omersa

Of course you can mix around Ihnen, Curry, Omersa etc. but it would look something like that.

And if Demir isn't quite a starting caliber PF then I would go

PG: Carr, Willis
SG: South, Williams
SF: Kalschuer, Ihnen, Hurt
PF: Coffey, Demir, Omersa

Adding Demir and South or Gresham would be a nice way to round out the class. Gophers need some experienced players, especially if Amir doesn't come back.

Mostly good points for sure. Except the reason IW didnt play was because of how unfair Pitino was toward him. He never had a chance.

Don’t be ridiculous, ha ha ha...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So you are saying that IW would have been on the floor for Tom Izzo?

Top Bottom