All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Agreed- this is welcome progress as there are needs in both front and back court next year.

Gotta wonder if there were 'concerns' about Pitino being let go being circulated in the recruiting circles.

Regardless, happy that there are solid players looking at us and hope to land some quality depth.

One has to believe that. Stability is a big conversation piece on the recruiting trail, and I can't blame kids and families wanting some assurance of that. When the coach is constantly on the "hot seat" board, that can't help recruiting. The new coaching staff getting settled may help some as well.

I'd really like to see some positive traction with recruiting

Finally some recruiting news instead of peeps bickering at each other.

Team needs a big. Hopefully Freeman is gettable.

And McNeil, if he can shoot and play some D, I'd be happy. Next season Carr is going to help a ton. I bet Gabe K finds lot more open shots next year.

We could really use a JUCO PF bruiser like Jason Stamper. Murphy is tough but not a brusier. And with him graduating, they really need a bruiser. Bring some toughness to the squad, not to mention depth because all we have is Oturu. Cant count on Curry with his failing healht

If Murphy isn't a bruiser then who is?

If Murphy isn't a bruiser then who is?

+1
Murphy is one of the strongest Gophers I can remember. The way he explodes off two legs in traffic to dunk on people and rebound in traffic takes incredible strength when you are 6’6” in the Big Ten. The way he can move people out of the way with his crab dribble while not looking like he’s trying to push people out takes a lot of strength as well.

So back to recruiting. Any insider info on anyone? Feels like we’ve really stagnated on that front

Recruiting news....my kid is going to IU Southeast for a tryout since IU (where he is a freshman) doesnt need a 6'9" 245 PF/C. wish us luck.

I tried to see if Sherfield visited Wake Forest. Couldnt find anything

Sean McNeil is showing up on our Prospects list on 247. We offered him on 3/10.

JUCO kid who is averaging 29.7 ppg and shooting 43% from three.

Went to the same high school as Gopher football QB Tanner Morgan.

Last edited:

So back to recruiting. Any insider info on anyone? Feels like we’ve really stagnated on that front

Sherfield loved his visit...wanted to commit, loves style of play, etc. but people around want him to see all places. Ihnen confirmed visit.

Sherfield loved his visit...wanted to commit, loves style of play, etc. but people around want him to see all places. Ihnen confirmed visit.

Great to hear this. Thanks. Screw the “people around him”. Commit!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If so that would be great news. He would be a great add (we need more athletic guards all the time)

Another offer has been made to a JUCO, Sean McNeil.
https://twitter.com/SeanMcNeil22/status/1104771662711525376/photo/1

Looks like a scorer.
6'4" (don't know if that's in shoes or not)
high of 55 pts in a game (he's also gone for 47 and 40 pts in other games from a quick glance)
averages 29.7 pts/gm
43 3pt%
Idk much about recruiting, but could Pitino being throwing offers out there like this to pressure Sherfield to sign? I get that Sherfield and this JUCO guy likely bring different things to the table, but I would personally love to sign Sherfield who can be a real force for us for 4 years.

I get the argument that we need as much shooters as possible, but we are only losing two backcourt/wing players this year, and one of them, Stull, never shoots the 3.. after losing McBrayer and Stull, we are adding Carr, Willis, Williams, and hopefully Sherfield.. do we have the luxury of going after another backcourt player? Should we be using some of our schollies on frontcourt players?

In my eyes, I see Williams replacing Stull and Sherfield/Willis replacing McBrayer... honestly, we might get immediate upgrades at those roles...

With the coaching change at Texas A&M, it's possible that Kobe Brown could be back on the market. Not sure if there would be interest on either side, but something to at least keep an eye out for this Spring.

Glad to hear Ihnen is coming! A big who can shoot would be very nice for spacing.

Glad to hear Ihnen is coming! A big who can shoot would be very nice for spacing.

he is an interesting prospect to say the least! I think he is a 3/4 position wise. He calls himself a guy that can play the 2, 3, or 4. But if he can play both the 3 & 4 I would be pretty excited to get this guy!

pretty thin and would clearly have to put on some muscle/weight. note sure on the level of competition he goes against but he looks like he has a pretty good handle for being 6'8/6'9 and a nice looking shot.

We haven't had too many Euro trash, have we? Otto and Matz are all I can think of.

he is an interesting prospect to say the least! I think he is a 3/4 position wise. He calls himself a guy that can play the 2, 3, or 4. But if he can play both the 3 & 4 I would be pretty excited to get this guy!

pretty thin and would clearly have to put on some muscle/weight. note sure on the level of competition he goes against but he looks like he has a pretty good handle for being 6'8/6'9 and a nice looking shot.
it sounds like he fancies himself as a 3, in which case this is probable not the school for him. historically (past 10 years or so), we haven't had bigger wing players, and our front court depth is so weak that he'd likely be thrusted into the PF position out of desperation.. Could be a Buggs 2.0 situation

Top Bottom