All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

LeBron isn’t good enough at shooting though

Ok. True.

Give me: Steph Curry, but LeBron size/athleticism. I want MJs desire and clutch. Kareem’s Skyhook, Bill Russell’s defense with Russell Westbrook’s intensity. But I need them to be a great ball handler. Kyrie Irving or better.

Tre Williams
Grant Sherfield
Sam Freeman
grad transfer big

I'd be very content with a class like that.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Ok. True.

Give me: Steph Curry, but LeBron size/athleticism. I want MJs desire and clutch. Kareem’s Skyhook, Bill Russell’s defense with Russell Westbrook’s intensity. But I need them to be a great ball handler. Kyrie Irving or better.

I guess I'd allow a player like that on our team

Russell Westbrook intensity? Not good enough.

Kevin Garnett intensity? Now your talking!

You’re right. Sherfield probably won’t be a historically good college and NBA shooter. Don’t bother recruiting someone who won’t break records. What a weird take.

I am simply pointing out that a kid that shoots mid 30 percent in high school from 3 isn't a good shooter. Decent, probably, but it was stated this guy was a good shooter. He is not if he is only hitting at that percentage in high school. Stuff is alot faster in D1 ball.

Does that mean don't recruit him? No, it means you still haven't solved anything as regard to having no shooters on your team. Every team needs a guy like Purdue has in Cline, or Reddick was, or any number of players on successful teams that can consistently knock down a wide open 3.

I am simply pointing out that a kid that shoots mid 30 percent in high school from 3 isn't a good shooter. Decent, probably, but it was stated this guy was a good shooter. He is not if he is only hitting at that percentage in high school. Stuff is alot faster in D1 ball.

Does that mean don't recruit him? No, it means you still haven't solved anything as regard to having no shooters on your team. Every team needs a guy like Purdue has in Cline, or Reddick was, or any number of players on successful teams that can consistently knock down a wide open 3.

You're right. He can't improve and what he shoots in high school is who he is.

I would say in the top 100 shooters in the ncaa from 3 plenty of them shot mid 30's from 3 in high school.

Umm, he isn't playing High School ball. He's playing prep school ball. Which is somewhere between High School and College.

Once again, 38% from deep playing prep school ball is not that bad. I'd like to know what Gabe shot a DeLa last year as opposed to Sherfield shooting his 38% this year. Obviously Sherfield is playing a little better competition.

I'd just like to point out that Cline is a senior shooting 42.2% from 3; GK is a freshman shooting 41.6% from 3. GK is among the very best 3-pt shooting freshmen in the country. The top 3-pt shooters are almost entirely seniors and juniors. GK's production in combination with his defense, composure and upside are outstanding.

Now, do we need ANOTHER? Yes. If you look at MSU, they have 3 guards shooting 40%+ from 3. They don't all shoot in equal volumes but the point remains: they've got 3 who can get it done, so there's simply a lot of work for a defense in terms of keeping track of them.

What evidence do we have that our current staff is capable of developing 3 point shooters?

Not so sure this is the best way to look at it...what are we doing to get our shooters open looks. Do coaches really alter shots very much? If they do I would think they would have changed McBrayers by now even though I still love Dupree

Not so sure this is the best way to look at it...what are we doing to get our shooters open looks. Do coaches really alter shots very much? If they do I would think they would have changed McBrayers by now even though I still love Dupree

I'd agree that a big part of it is getting good looks.

Still would ask the question...what has been shown by our staff to make us believe they are capable of that?

I'd agree that a big part of it is getting good looks.

Still would ask the question...what has been shown by our staff to make us believe they are capable of that?

That we’ve had multiple guys shooting around 40% every year under Pitino (mason, king, springs, hollins) in addition to Gabe and several lower volume shooters (including Hurt for one season), several of whom are not shot creators of their own accord, indicating they must be getting open by some mechanism of the offense

Really hard to find great shooters that can play. I see hundreds of kids per year that are really fine shooters but they can not play D1. The 2 dozen left that are really excellent have so many great offers. I have seen guys improve but by 18, not set in stone but for the most part are already marksmen, the next step can they come off screens sharply, if there is a great screen, can they catch it in the high pocket of a sound shooting position, can they do it off the dribble, can they break down the defense and get into the lane, can they get a fast release over anyone but especially someone with size. Because if you can not then great scouting will eliminate you. Even if you can do those things you still have to play defense because when you do that you cover your off night in part. When this roster competes defensively they are competitive with most, when they do not the margin for error shrinks and we lose games we should not and even suffer blowouts. Set better screens, perfect coming off them and take quality shots.

Extra worried about our front court next year with Curry's new injury. Can we really count on a healthy year from him? If Omersa is our starter next year that is a tremendous drop off.

For what it's worth, his 247 page doesn't even list Oregon or Texas and says Arizona State is interested but hasn't offered.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Isaiah-Ihnen-126526/RecruitInterests/

also for what its worth....Tennessee has all of their scholarships accounted for in 2019. But that's obviously not taking into account any transfers or players turning pro

he seems like he would be a very solid get at this point. and I think I read somewhere that he is a SF/PF type player that can shoot and has a little handle.

That we’ve had multiple guys shooting around 40% every year under Pitino (mason, king, springs, hollins) in addition to Gabe and several lower volume shooters (including Hurt for one season), several of whom are not shot creators of their own accord, indicating they must be getting open by some mechanism of the offense

In the last 4 years our team 3 pt shooting percentage has never been better than 10th in the B1G.

I don't see how Michael Hurt's 47 career 3pt attempts in 3 years would be much of a factor.

In the last 4 years our team 3 pt shooting percentage has never been better than 10th in the B1G.

I don't see how Michael Hurt's 47 career 3pt attempts in 3 years would be much of a factor.

Yeah and its all Pitino's fault, lets get him outta here.

...let's put the blast on the German guy. On his mixtape, he's pouring them in like Nowitzki!

My eye is untrained... but I think his stroke looks sound. Would love to hear from someone knowledgeable. Built? Where are you? Your input is needed here.

My eye is untrained... but I think his stroke looks sound. Would love to hear from someone knowledgeable. Built? Where are you? Your input is needed here.

I don't care who you are or how "trained" your eye is, you can't accurately judge a shooter from a highlight video. Having said that, I hope we get him.

First off i am not a fan of edited highlights especially against no one who defends him. Now with that said i think he shoots it fine in form but a bit two handed compared to elite shooters who really release with one on. Super raw but clearly athletic. Would love to know where he started on any scene so we could see how far he has come. Those measurements look real and that is pretty good spread. There are some damn good eyes looking at him but not sure how many actual offers are real. So much better seeing someone in person because you really get a feel on how the game is for him and then you can really understand things like second jump quickness, proprioception, stance, focus.. There not that many sure locks in recruiting and some hits happen late and way under the radar. Sorry, could not be more helpful.

Yeah and its all Pitino's fault, lets get him outta here.

I never said it was all Pitino's fault.

I'm simply saying that his teams don't tend to be very strong at 3pt shooting.

Does anyone have any idea of how Grant Sherfield enjoyed his visit?

First off i am not a fan of edited highlights especially against no one who defends him. Now with that said i think he shoots it fine in form but a bit two handed compared to elite shooters who really release with one on. Super raw but clearly athletic. Would love to know where he started on any scene so we could see how far he has come. Those measurements look real and that is pretty good spread. There are some damn good eyes looking at him but not sure how many actual offers are real. So much better seeing someone in person because you really get a feel on how the game is for him and then you can really understand things like second jump quickness, proprioception, stance, focus.. There not that many sure locks in recruiting and some hits happen late and way under the radar. Sorry, could not be more helpful.

This is the correct response. These edited highlight videos are for fans only and most of the time are guys who are predators and trying to make a buck or two off these families. Most HS programs have either hudl or crossover and can make these on their own or will have some coaches who are willing too. Either way, seeing a kid play a real game live is helpful, but actually seeing a game vs the highlights from a game are better for coaches too. Lastly, college coaches like to see a kid fail as well on film. They like to see a simple response to simple adversity.

Also anyone who thinks a "shooter" is made in college by their coaches is crazy. The base happens early and there are very few guys who become high end shooters that were not that in HS or college before hand. Shooting is simply way more than mechanics as well and the idea of what proper mechanics are changing. Most trainers and coaches could care less about feet "square" and set anymore. Mechanically, they will focus on chest and up and what the finish of the shot is. As Built said earlier, with the value of shooting being higher than ever, it's harder and harder to get shooters. Skeptics of Gabe were right to do so, if you watched him in HS. He played second fiddle to Terry, didn't really dominate a ton of games, and had legitimate worries about his athleticism. Now that being said, he also was coached by Dave Thorson for 3 years and that has obviously shown in his preparation and skill set defensively and how well he works and moves within the offense. His shooting stroke however, was there and like that the first time I saw him play as a 9th grader.

Top Bottom