All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

it sounds like he fancies himself as a 3, in which case this is probable not the school for him. historically (past 10 years or so), we haven't had bigger wing players, and our front court depth is so weak that he'd likely be thrusted into the PF position out of desperation.. Could be a Buggs 2.0 situation

We are recruiting other bigs to fill out our depth for the front court so one has nothing to do with the other. In addition we currently have a 3 that is 6'8", not following the logic.

it sounds like he fancies himself as a 3, in which case this is probable not the school for him. historically (past 10 years or so), we haven't had bigger wing players, and our front court depth is so weak that he'd likely be thrusted into the PF position out of desperation.. Could be a Buggs 2.0 situation

Amir Coffey?

We are recruiting other bigs to fill out our depth for the front court so one has nothing to do with the other. In addition we currently have a 3 that is 6'8", not following the logic.
Coffey is obviously an exception considering he is a primary ball handler. Ilhen is not Coffey and it’s absurd to make those comparisons. Look at the 6’7-6’9 forwards the Gophers have had the past several years and whether they end up as wing or post-up players.. Michael Hurt, Charles Buggs... you know why there are so few to name? Because the Gophers are mostly a 3-guard team. If we recruit this guy he is going to play the 4.

And besides Sam Freeman, who I understand to be a Center, what bigs are we recruiting?

Coffey is obviously an exception considering he is a primary ball handler. Ilhen is not Coffey and it’s absurd to make those comparisons. Look at the 6’7-6’9 forwards the Gophers have had the past several years and whether they end up as wing or post-up players.. Michael Hurt, Charles Buggs... you know why there are so few to name? Because the Gophers are mostly a 3-guard team. If we recruit this guy he is going to play the 4.

And besides Sam Freeman, who I understand to be a Center, what bigs are we recruiting?

Buggs (Tubby Recruit), Fitzgerald, and Hurt were ones we landed. 6-7 to 6-9 wings aren't a dime a dozen and not easy to land. We've went after many of them over the years, just haven't landed them.

Buggs (Tubby Recruit), Fitzgerald, and Hurt were ones we landed. 6-7 to 6-9 wings aren't a dime a dozen and not easy to land. We've went after many of them over the years, just haven't landed them.

I knew I was forgetting someone in Fitzgerald.. unless you are a top150 recruit, most wing players in this conference are of the 6’4-6’6 variety. Ilhen will have a hard time playing against those guys. If he is determined to play the 3 he should go to a conferences like he Big12

Glad to hear Ihnen is coming! A big who can shoot would be very nice for spacing.

Jan/Feb highlights.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gnkD1YltJbM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pitino is looking for a shooter, can blame him after the cold streaks we had this year.

Regardless of his height, Ihen's strengths are shooting the three (doesn't seem bothered by shooting while defended) and slashing to the basket. . ..that is exactly what we want in a 3 in this offense, you put him as a 4 in our offense and you eliminate his strengths, won't happen.

He looks like he has a much more consistent stroke from the 3pt line and he can slash. He does not look capable of playing PG.

So, he is a 3 who can't play point.

Excuse me, how is he not like Coffey?

Jan/Feb highlights.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gnkD1YltJbM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This guy looks like a great addition if we can grab him. Obviously the highlights don't tell the whole story (ex: lapses on defense/FG and 3P%), but he seems like a versatile offensive player who can score at all 3 levels. And anyone who has watched the Gophers can attest that we need more shooters on this team. 247 has him listed at 6'9, so he could play some small ball 4 and space the floor a little. I enjoy watching Murphy and Oturu run the high low, but I would enjoy more shooting on the court even more.

This guy looks like a great addition if we can grab him. Obviously the highlights don't tell the whole story (ex: lapses on defense/FG and 3P%), but he seems like a versatile offensive player who can score at all 3 levels. And anyone who has watched the Gophers can attest that we need more shooters on this team. 247 has him listed at 6'9, so he could play some small ball 4 and space the floor a little. I enjoy watching Murphy and Oturu run the high low, but I would enjoy more shooting on the court even more.

In modern basketball you cannot have two guys on the floor who can't step out and shoot threes at one time and be a high level team. Having Oturo and Thomas mean that we need to pair them with bigs who can shoot. It's not complicated and I think this kid looks like hes more than worth taking a chance on since we have the open scholarships. I just our coaches evals more so than in the past. I think Jeter is greater than Ben and Linstead is greater than Kimani.

Two areas where he will need to improve:
B1G players close a lot faster than the competition in the video. He'll need to speed up his shot.
His guide hand flys out, which may make him a streaky shooter.
He reminds me of Michael Hurt as a high school player. He may develop into a solid B1G player, but he might be our next Charles Buggs or Michael Hurt just as easily.

Two areas where he will need to improve:
B1G players close a lot faster than the competition in the video. He'll need to speed up his shot.
His guide hand flys out, which may make him a streaky shooter.
He reminds me of Michael Hurt as a high school player. He may develop into a solid B1G player, but he might be our next Charles Buggs or Michael Hurt just as easily.

I would add that we are competing with other big schools. But those big schools are probably just as desperate as we are, talking themselves into some recruits

Sure, why not? Its March.

I think one can fairly argue that with the fluidity of college rosters (via grad transfers, regular transfers, and prep schools) that spring recruiting isn't the lackluster time it used to be. You can get transformational guys and roster changes through spring. Now it's not my favorite to wait it out, but I don't get as discouraged as I used too. The guys we have been rumored for seem to be different which was my hope with Jeter and Linsted on board. Lets hope they pan out and have a better record.

Regardless of his height, Ihen's strengths are shooting the three (doesn't seem bothered by shooting while defended) and slashing to the basket. . ..that is exactly what we want in a 3 in this offense, you put him as a 4 in our offense and you eliminate his strengths, won't happen.

Ha dude, what position is Coffey playing in our offense? Would you say he is a 1, 2, or a 3 in your opinion? He sure seems to do a ton of scoring and slashing and not that much distributing and getting others open.

Clearly the last part of what I said about Coffey is absurd and its not his strength (not saying he can't be good at it, just not what he is best at). But saying Ihnen can't do any of that at the 4 and it eliminates his strengths isn't true...look at the contrast in King and Murphy who both play/ed the 4. I know Murphy is 9x better but King was actually a solid player.... King could shoot threes and somehow got people to bite on that pump fake lol...Murphy is a leaper and will bully his way in down low with great footwork and score.

There can be guys that are brutes down low and guys that can shoot and cut from the perimeter, and both can work on about any team.

Ha dude, what position is Coffey playing in our offense? Would you say he is a 1, 2, or a 3 in your opinion? He sure seems to do a ton of scoring and slashing and not that much distributing and getting others open.

Clearly the last part of what I said about Coffey is absurd and its not his strength (not saying he can't be good at it, just not what he is best at). But saying Ihnen can't do any of that at the 4 and it eliminates his strengths isn't true...look at the contrast in King and Murphy who both play/ed the 4. I know Murphy is 9x better but King was actually a solid player.... King could shoot threes and somehow got people to bite on that pump fake lol...Murphy is a leaper and will bully his way in down low with great footwork and score.

There can be guys that are brutes down low and guys that can shoot and cut from the perimeter, and both can work on about any team.

If we run a different offense than what we have been running all year then, yeah we could have four guys sitting on the perimeter and one guy inside. I am discussing his use in Pitino’s offense not making up offenses in which you could rationalize anybody playing the 4. Our current offense has the 4 inside, occasionally flashing to the 3 pt line for a screen or a help pass. Most of the time it’s a high/low game, short corner or Murphy bully game backdown. Those roles don’t fit Ihnen so he will not be used there. He shoots and slashes which fits the 3 in this offense.

To your point about King playing the 4, that situation was out of necessity not of design. King played the 4 because he was the best we had. His playing out of position hurt us a lot inside, it absolutely killed us in rebounding, we were out rebounded by our opponents both his jr and sr years, and I won’t even start on what it did defensively. I loved King but he was out of position because we had no choice, not a good thing to model and aim to apply again.

If we run a different offense than what we have been running all year then, yeah we could have four guys sitting on the perimeter and one guy inside. I am discussing his use in Pitino’s offense not making up offenses in which you could rationalize anybody playing the 4. Our current offense has the 4 inside, occasionally flashing to the 3 pt line for a screen or a help pass. Most of the time it’s a high/low game, short corner or Murphy bully game backdown. Those roles don’t fit Ihnen so he will not be used there. He shoots and slashes which fits the 3 in this offense.

To your point about King playing the 4, that situation was out of necessity not of design. King played the 4 because he was the best we had. His playing out of position hurt us a lot inside, it absolutely killed us in rebounding, we were out rebounded by our opponents both his jr and sr years, and I won’t even start on what it did defensively. I loved King but he was out of position because we had no choice, not a good thing to model and aim to apply again.

What other position was King supposed to play besides the 4?

I think when you lose a guy with a unique skill set like Murphy, you change your offense and add new wrinkles. We also didn't have an Oturo (Walker was good too I know) in with King as well. It's the only reason we play a high low game like we do. And having a guy who can pop out and hit a 3 would only stretch defenses more.

Good post Gopher Teeth, it does really matter what offense we will run, and yeah the King season was a disaster lol. I guess I will come back with that just because it isn't the best fit for the player, doesn't mean it wouldn't be the best fit for the team.
You say "Ihnen's strengths are shooting the three (doesn't seem bothered by shooting while defended) and slashing to the basket. . ..that is exactly what we want in a 3 in this offense, you put him as a 4 in our offense and you eliminate his strengths, won't happen." Well Coffey's strengths aren't playing the PG or penetrating off of the dribble, so is him playing the PG not happening? Yeah it is and teams grab the best they have for the situation they are in. And quite frankly its mid March and we need 2 bigs by the time we start practice next fall. Pitino's biggest downfalls have been roster whiffs. If the staff thinks he can hit the 3 in D1 games and that he can put on 20-30 in a couple of years, pull the trigger.

On top of that have we seen consistency in our offensive set over the last 5 years? Have we had any bigs that could step out and hit it in the last 5 years other than King? Any bigs that could dream of hitting a 3? I don't think we have and I would kind of like to know what it is like. I guess I don't get why a 6'9 200 coming out of HS can't put on 10-20lbs and play a few minutes his freshman year and become a solid college player. He could still be a very solid 4 that is 6'9 225. I just think its weird for people to always say he's not a take because of a position and positions have never been more fluid in college basketball. If we think he has the tools and can beef up a touch, why wouldn't we take him? There is room on our team for a PF that can hit it even if our offensive set isn't the best one for him.

I think when you lose a guy with a unique skill set like Murphy, you change your offense and add new wrinkles. We also didn't have an Oturo (Walker was good too I know) in with King as well. It's the only reason we play a high low game like we do. And having a guy who can pop out and hit a 3 would only stretch defenses more.

You made my point for me here...We have Oturu but I don't think he will create as many opportunities for himself as Murphy did getting a high post touch. Definitely will look different given the production...the offense will flow thru whoever is our best offenseive player. Shouldn't matter if its Nate Mason at the point, Gabe spotting up from deep playing G, or Murph displaying great footwork and anticipation down low.

What other position was King supposed to play besides the 4?

Truthfully he wasn’t a Big Ten level player. I hate to say that, because he always hustled and had heart, but that is my assessment. He was too slow for the 3, but his offensive game was most suited for the 3. He didn’t have a post up game, wasn’t strong enough to match up with opposing 4’s and he didn’t rebound well. He was put as a 4 because of situation, not fit.

Last edited:

Truthfully he wasn’t a Big Ten level player. I hate to say that, because he always hustled and had heart, but that is my assessment. He was too slow for the 3, but his offensive game was most suited for the 3. He didn’t have a post up game, wasn’t strong enough to match up with opposing 4’s and he didn’t rebound well. He was put as a 4 because of situation, not fit.

I love when people have the attitude that someone is either All-Big Ten, or they aren't Big Ten caliber at all. King wasn't great, but he efficiently scored ~12 points per game. Saying he wasn't a Big Ten level player is hyperbole. Also, King didn't play out of position. He would have played the 4 for any team he would have been on.

Truthfully he wasn’t a Big Ten level player. He was too slow for the 3, but his offensive game was most suited for the 3. He didn’t have a post up game, wasn’t strong enough to match up with opposing 4’s and he didn’t rebound well. He was put as a 4 because of situation, not fit.

Just because people hit the 3pt shots as a big doesn't mean they have to go down a position. King was 100% a 4. Actually would have been a wonderful guy to have come off of the bench in the B1G (you are correct he is by no means a starter). The offensive stats are solid for him, just as the rebounding is non-existent. Was it really that he wasn't strong enough or did he not really give a **** about rebounding and didn't get into position? I guess regardless they are both boards we aren't getting.

I love when people have the attitude that someone is either All-Big Ten, or they aren't Big Ten caliber at all. King wasn't great, but he efficiently scored ~12 points per game. Saying he wasn't a Big Ten level player is hyperbole. Also, King didn't play out of position. He would have played the 4 for any team he would have been on.

Yep, his 3pt% was great for a big and his fg% was very solid considering the # of deep shots he took.

Truthfully he wasn’t a Big Ten level player.

Stupid. A random rube off the street can't and won't average 9.3 ppg in 99 games as a Big Ten player. He wasn't a star, but was absolutely a legitimate Big Ten basketball player.

Stupid. A random rube off the street can't and won't average 9.3 ppg in 99 games as a Big Ten player. He wasn't a star, but was absolutely a legitimate Big Ten basketball player.

Exactly. I could see the argument that he probably shouldn't have been getting close to 30 minutes a game in the Big Ten. But he would have been a solid guy off the bench for a good Big Ten team.

Good post Gopher Teeth, it does really matter what offense we will run, and yeah the King season was a disaster lol. I guess I will come back with that just because it isn't the best fit for the player, doesn't mean it wouldn't be the best fit for the team.
You say "Ihnen's strengths are shooting the three (doesn't seem bothered by shooting while defended) and slashing to the basket. . ..that is exactly what we want in a 3 in this offense, you put him as a 4 in our offense and you eliminate his strengths, won't happen." Well Coffey's strengths aren't playing the PG or penetrating off of the dribble, so is him playing the PG not happening? Yeah it is and teams grab the best they have for the situation they are in. And quite frankly its mid March and we need 2 bigs by the time we start practice next fall. Pitino's biggest downfalls have been roster whiffs. If the staff thinks he can hit the 3 in D1 games and that he can put on 20-30 in a couple of years, pull the trigger.

On top of that have we seen consistency in our offensive set over the last 5 years? Have we had any bigs that could step out and hit it in the last 5 years other than King? Any bigs that could dream of hitting a 3? I don't think we have and I would kind of like to know what it is like. I guess I don't get why a 6'9 200 coming out of HS can't put on 10-20lbs and play a few minutes his freshman year and become a solid college player. He could still be a very solid 4 that is 6'9 225. I just think its weird for people to always say he's not a take because of a position and positions have never been more fluid in college basketball. If we think he has the tools and can beef up a touch, why wouldn't we take him? There is room on our team for a PF that can hit it even if our offensive set isn't the best one for him.

From a size perspective I agree, in theory he could bang down low as a 4, and he could learn post moves, and he could learn how to hold position, but that is a lot to ask. It’s pretty rare for kids to come out of HS and develop a post game when they didn’t have one and which is able to beat Big Ten inside players, unless they are heads and tails better athletes. Off hand I can’t come up with one, but I am sure there are some. You will have much more success recruiting players that fit into your offense, and expanding on what they already do well, rather than trying to get them to be good at something they have never done before.

I agree that one of Pitino’s struggles has been filling the roster, so I understand that you may then be forced to play people in positions that are less than ideal, but I don’t think you go into it thinking you are going to put people in positions that disadvantage them. I believe that they will recruit bigs. I have never said they shouldn’t go after Ihnen, I am actually a huge proponent of landing him, I feel he fills the 3 position perfectly once Amir leaves.

Top Bottom