All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

Two guys who can't play at another school will solve the problems.

That sounds about right at Minnesota.

By the way, I want NOOOOOO part of race coming here. When I heard Darrell named his boys True and Race, well, I just laughted and kind of moved on. I mean WTF...….LMAO

Seriously Darrell?

Sims is plenty good enough to be our backup center next year. He'd be essentially be another Curry but more athletic. I would definitely take two Curry's next year. The big thing of course would be if he can get immediate eligibility though.

Sims: 6-9, 240
Cury, 6-9, 240

Sims 5 PPG, 3.9 RPG 0.5 BPG, 18.5 MPG as a true freshman
Curry 5.5 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 0.7 BPG, 20 MPG as a true freshman

Sims 4.3 PPG, 3.2 PRG, 0.4 BPG, 13.8 MPG as a sophomore
Curry 4.3 PPG, 32. RPG, 0.3 BPG, 19.5 MPG as a sophomore

I agree Race wouldn't do much to solve our lack of depth in the post though.

Last edited:

Sims is plenty good enough to be our backup center next year. He'd be essentially be another Curry but more athletic. I would definitely take two Curry's next year. The big thing of course would be if he can get immediate eligibility though.

Cury, 6-9, 240

I think it's pretty hard to say that two players are the same because they averaged the same number of points in a different program. I would love it if we got both Sims and Thompson to come back here....are there rumors out there that they want to transfer?

Cury, 6-9, 240

Sims would immediately help us next year. Palmer Jr at Neb and Matthews at Mich both were similarly high rated guys and for whatever reason didn’t perform at their first stops but became all big ten players.

Race has dealt with injuries so far this year and frankly looked better than anyone on our bench during garbage time. Would gladly take a flier given how recruiting has gone this year.

Sims would immediately help us next year. Palmer Jr at Neb and Matthews at Mich both were similarly high rated guys and for whatever reason didn’t perform at their first stops but became all big ten players.

Race has dealt with injuries so far this year and frankly looked better than anyone on our bench during garbage time. Would gladly take a flier given how recruiting has gone this year.
I'm not sure why people are fantasizing about Sims or Race transferring here. the odds of that are extremely low, even lower that they would be immediately eligible

I think it's pretty hard to say that two players are the same because they averaged the same number of points in a different program. I would love it if we got both Sims and Thompson to come back here....are there rumors out there that they want to transfer?

Yes, obviously they aren't the exact same player but considering they are the exact same size, play a similar role in their teams and have very similar numbers I think it's safe to say they are relatively close to each other in terms of the caliber of player they bot are.

Yes, obviously they aren't the exact same player but considering they are the exact same size, play a similar role in their teams and have very similar numbers I think it's safe to say they are relatively close to each other in terms of the caliber of player they bot are.

Also I would assume that Curry has played a lot more Center than Sims. I don't know that but I would be surprised if Sims plays as much Center for UT than Curry does us.

We are not "Fall-Back U". Why do you guys keep starting these "dream lists" of former MN players that are not living up to their potential at the schools they chose instead of the U? You seem to be hung up with the High School potential that these players had and the "home-town" factor.

I can see bringing in local kids that have developed at lower level schools and are now good enough to contribute at this level (think of it as like a PWO in football). I have no interest at all in giving local kids the incentive to choose an out of state school over the U, because if it doesn't work out then they can always transfer to the U. You get one chance at the Golden Ticket. Local kids have to know that if they have any dream or desire to play for the U, then they better take that offer out of high school because it will never come back later. We are not that desperate to waste spots on local retreads.

We are not "Fall-Back U". Why do you guys keep starting these "dream lists" of former MN players that are not living up to their potential at the schools they chose instead of the U? You seem to be hung up with the High School potential that these players had and the "home-town" factor.

I can see bringing in local kids that have developed at lower level schools and are now good enough to contribute at this level (think of it as like a PWO in football). I have no interest at all in giving local kids the incentive to choose an out of state school over the U, because if it doesn't work out then they can always transfer to the U. You get one chance at the Golden Ticket. Local kids have to know that if they have any dream or desire to play for the U, then they better take that offer out of high school because it will never come back later. We are not that desperate to waste spots on local retreads.

Generally I agree with you. If you don't want us, don't come back to us when things don't work out. But on the other hand, we do need bodies for next year. I just want to take the best available.

So you were upset when Mbakwe transferred here? Do you wish he hadn't?

I don't follow the logic of players being more likely to leave the state if we allow guys like Sims and Mbakwe to transfer back home. If anything, seeing guys coming back and having more success here than some other school should help us with recruiting.

Generally I agree with you. If you don't want us, don't come back to us when things don't work out. But on the other hand, we do need bodies for next year. I just want to take the best available.

The operative words of course are NEXT YEAR. There is no guarantee, and lots of history suggesting otherwise, that traditional transfers won't be granted immediate eligibility at Minnesota. Coach needs to focus on guys who can play right away.

I'm not sure why people are fantasizing about Sims or Race transferring here. the odds of that are extremely low, even lower that they would be immediately eligible

I'm not sure "extremely low" is an accurate characterization of the odds of Sims wanting to come home...

We obviously don’t know who Pitino is pursuing, but I don’t think we have to depend on giving some former residents a second chance. Pitino has picked some very good players nationally “out of the blue”. It sounds like he feels comfortable with his situation and his job depends upon it. Of course it is always fun to speculate, but let’s not get too worked up if Pitino doesn’t always get the players that GH poster’s want...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the three remaining scholarships has to go to a big that is eligible immediately, you can take a chance on one of the others.

Last edited:

I would think we should be chasing grad transfers/transfers and remaining hopeful for 2020. If we get a few bigs through transfer or gtransfer that would keep open scholarships and playing time to entice the 2020 and 2021 kids. As you can see this year has been a dud because of the outstanding class we got last year. No one wants to come in and get limited playing time for a few years.

I think to often we think of recruiting for just this upcoming year, but with the buzz and interest of the 2020 class I think we should roll with folks that only take up one year unless they are home runs.

2020 Roster:
C - Oturu/Curry/Transfer
PF - Curry/Omersa/Transfer
SF - Coffey/Hurt
G - Carr/Washington/Kalscheur/Willis/Williams

To me this lineup doesn't seem to alarming and would make me strongly consider hoping to hit the home run with the 2020/21 classes.

I would think we should be chasing grad transfers/transfers and remaining hopeful for 2020. If we get a few bigs through transfer or gtransfer that would keep open scholarships and playing time to entice the 2020 and 2021 kids. As you can see this year has been a dud because of the outstanding class we got last year. No one wants to come in and get limited playing time for a few years.

I think to often we think of recruiting for just this upcoming year, but with the buzz and interest of the 2020 class I think we should roll with folks that only take up one year unless they are home runs.

2020 Roster:
C - Oturu/Curry/Transfer
SF - Coffey/Hurt

To me this lineup doesn't seem to alarming and would make me strongly consider hoping to hit the home run with the 2020/21 classes.

I think our terrible season last year and the perception of Pitino maybe being on the hot seat is the reason we're slow to put together a good recruiting class for 2019. If we finish this year strong, 2020 recruiting should be much better.

2020 Roster:
C - Oturu/Curry/Transfer
SF - Coffey/Hurt

I think in an ideal world, the staff would go transfer big (hopefully with some versatility) and HS recruit Center like a Sam Freeman they can develop and maybe redshirt. By taking on that younger big, it gives you a safety net in case you can’t pull two of those 2020 front court local kids and it protects you against the very real possibility of Oturu leaving early. The likes of Garcia, Dainja and Carlson are talented enough to overtake a player like that anyway.

As you said if they can fill the front court needs, we can feel pretty good about next year’s roster and beyond with Sherfield being the cherry on top.

2020 Roster:
C - Oturu/Curry/Transfer
SF - Coffey/Hurt

Curry worries me. Hopefully he can get back to health. Great kid, will be pulling for him.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can someone ezplain why we are so dead set on recruiting another backcourt player? Word is we chasing that guy who committed to UCLA and not this Euro player. I get that Dupree is leaving, but with Carr, Willis, Williams coming in next year, you’d think Pitino would be putting all his focus on a big. Unless he knows something we don’t know about Coffey

Can someone ezplain why we are so dead set on recruiting another backcourt player? Word is we chasing that guy who committed to UCLA and not this Euro player. I get that Dupree is leaving, but with Carr, Willis, Williams coming in next year, you’d think Pitino would be putting all his focus on a big. Unless he knows something we don’t know about Coffey

Guards win college basketball games and we shoot about 31% on three pointers. If they can find a sharpshooter wing, 2G or a really solid point guard I'm in. Coffey has another year left and it is also a good time to start looking for his replacement.

We have 3 open scholarships. Even if two are used on big men, that still leaves 1. And if IW transfers there's another one and a pressing need for another guard.

Guards win college basketball games and we shoot about 31% on three pointers. If they can find a sharpshooter wing, 2G or a really solid point guard I'm in. Coffey has another year left and it is also a good time to start looking for his replacement.

Top flight guards make everyone play better and win championships.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good shooters can mask a lot of deficiencies.

We need shooters, plain and simple. With few exceptions, we currently employ mostly bricklayers.

Position-less Basketball is the future (see Villanova, see current Kansas squad without Azubuike). If you got shooters, get them on the court. Picture ONE shooter on this team that can make 40% of his 3-pointers. In other words, imagine if teams had to pay for collapsing on Murphy & Oturo. Actually, just go look at the tape versus Indiana with Goldy shot 3s at a 40% clip. Absolutely you sign SHOOTERS. Preferably shooters who can move their feet a defend a little bit.

Position-less Basketball is the future (see Villanova, see current Kansas squad without Azubuike). If you got shooters, get them on the court. Picture ONE shooter on this team that can make 40% of his 3-pointers. In other words, imagine if teams had to pay for collapsing on Murphy & Oturo. Actually, just go look at the tape versus Indiana with Goldy shot 3s at a 40% clip. Absolutely you sign SHOOTERS. Preferably shooters who can move their feet a defend a little bit.

Guys that really are scary are the guys like Trice, Edwards, Cline, Moss and others that can just step out and shoot from 25 feet if needed to win a game. Tough to defend that. Iowa, in my opinion is not that good but they shoot the 3's at almost 38% which a 6% better than us means more than a 100 point differential over the year. That will win some extra games.

That's pretty easy to picture, Gabe has made 40% of his threes this year.

Top Bottom