All Things 2019 Gophers Basketball Recruiting Thread - Tweets, Links, Video, Analysis

For those who may care, here is what I am hearing.

Word is that there is going to be a lot of Minnesota kids on the transfer portal after the season, I got names but don't feel comfortable putting those players in a corner with their current squads, I do expect some of them to have interest in transferring back home.

In regards to Skogman, I have heard that he(and his family) really wants be a badger, and the badgers have strong interest, but they currently don't have a scholarship for him and have other needs they would rather address, however both parties are working on a way to get him on the team, don't be surprised to see him take a Hedstrom type deal to play there, but if it doesn't work out, Minnesota would definitely be the front runner with how it stands right now, he wants to stay in the region. I will also say that no one really know if he will be cleared medically at the next level but schools are more hopeful that he will be.

Word is that there is going to be a lot of Minnesota kids on the transfer portal after the season, I got names but don't feel comfortable putting those players in a corner with their current squads, I do expect some of them to have interest in transferring back home.

In regards to Skogman, I have heard that he(and his family) really want be a badger, and the Badgers have strong interest, but they currently don't have a scholarship for him and have other needs they would rather address, however both parties are working on a way to get him on the team, don't be surprised to see him take a Hedstrom type deal to play there, but if it doesn't work out, Minnesota would definitely be the front runner with how it stands right now, he wants to stay in the region. I will also say that no one really know if he will be cleared medically at the next level but schools are more hopeful that he will be.

Mostly guys at Mid Major programs I assume? Like a Lynch or Lofton type who were under-recurited and looking to move up in competition? Without any inside knowledge...looking at transfers for guys currently at P5 programs, the only one who seems likely is Sims.

I could also see Race transfering away from IU to MN. I saw an interview he did after the MN game and he doesn't look happy. I assume most of that is because he is frustrated with his injury situation. With that being said... his dad is an important alum and the fact that he had interest in coming here before he reclassified could be a good fit for the Gophs and Thompson. I think it is very unlikely but you never know with young guys and what they will decide to do.

Mostly guys at Mid Major programs I assume? Like a Lynch or Lofton type who were under-recurited and looking to move up in competition? Without any inside knowledge...looking at transfers for guys currently at P5 programs, the only one who seems likely is Sims.

I could also see Race transfering away from IU to MN. I saw an interview he did after the MN game and he doesn't look happy. I assume most of that is because he is frustrated with his injury situation. With that being said... his dad is an important alum and the fact that he had interest in coming here before he reclassified could be a good fit for the Gophs and Thompson. I think it is very unlikely but you never know with young guys and what they will decide to do.

Being at the game I was surprised at how little Race played, especially in a game that wasn’t close over the last 25 minutes. He only appeared in garbage time, which I’m sure wasn’t his expectation as a redshirt freshman when he signed. It’s not like that Indiana team is overflowing with talent so he’s stuck behind a logjam. I wonder why Miller is burying him?

I also noticed a great byplay between Race and Jarvis when they went at it down low several times and Race blocked at least a couple of Jarvis’ shots. Both were smiling and jawing as they ran down the court, then they hugged when the horn sounded. They played on different AAU teams so I was trying to figure out their history because they’re clearly good friends. I wonder if Jarvis will be in Race’s ear about transferring back home?

Race Thompson and Jericho Sims would both solve our big man problem for next year. The U just needs to be smart to get them both here without having to sit out a year. Since they are from here that should help but if not hopefully we learned from the Fields transferring to O$U. Indiana and Texas aren’t states you think of with racial inclusivity in mind...

Being at the game I was surprised at how little Race played, especially in a game that wasn’t close over the last 25 minutes. He only appeared in garbage time, which I’m sure wasn’t his expectation as a redshirt freshman when he signed. It’s not like that Indiana team is overflowing with talent so he’s stuck behind a logjam. I wonder why Miller is burying him?

I also noticed a great byplay between Race and Jarvis when they went at it down low several times and Race blocked at least a couple of Jarvis’ shots. Both were smiling and jawing as they ran down the court, then they hugged when the horn sounded. They played on different AAU teams so I was trying to figure out their history because they’re clearly good friends. I wonder if Jarvis will be in Race’s ear about transferring back home?

Jarvis seems to be good friends with everyone lol. Not necessarily suprising considering how supportive of a teammate he has been from the bench.

About Race though, I think Saturday was his first game back from a concussion so I am sure Archie had him on a minutes restriction, but still....I thought Race would see some minutes earlier in the game, but no...he got pure garbage time. If Race is no longer buying that Archie can turn IU around (I think he will) and he sees plenty of playing time open at the hometown school...it wouldn't be shocking. IU is horrendous this season and maybe Race won't wanna potentially be a bench player on a team that may or may not figure it out. Who knows.. that's why speculation is fun!

Race Thompson and Jericho Sims would both solve our big man problem for next year. The U just needs to be smart to get them both here without having to sit out a year. Since they are from here that should help but if not hopefully we learned from the Fields transferring to O$U. Indiana and Texas aren’t states you think of with racial inclusivity in mind...

Two guys who can't play at another school will solve the problems.

That sounds about right at Minnesota.

By the way, I want NOOOOOO part of race coming here. When I heard Darrell named his boys True and Race, well, I just laughted and kind of moved on. I mean WTF...….LMAO

Seriously Darrell?

Two guys who can't play at another school will solve the problems.

That sounds about right at Minnesota.

By the way, I want NOOOOOO part of race coming here. When I heard Darrell named his boys True and Race, well, I just laughted and kind of moved on. I mean WTF...….LMAO

Seriously Darrell?

Have you not seen our recruiting who else would we get? No high major transfer who has played a lot and is a high contributor is coming here. So between guys highly ranked out of high school who have the tools, low major guy/ Juco transferring in which is a crap shoot as are they a Stull Morris or god willing a springs, or a high school kid rated outside top 150, I’m taking my chances with option A. It is a Minnesota type thing but it’s the truth unfortunately.

Completely agree on the names very interesting to say the least.

Don't have any inside sources here, but had the same thought regarding Jericho Sims. His minutes at Texas have been way down lately...

Since we are wildly speculating here (why not -that’s what we do when nothing else is happening), can someone remind us what Race’s skill set and scouting report looks like? It’s been so long since I was pissed off that he chose Indiana that I can’t recall. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you not seen our recruiting who else would we get? No high major transfer who has played a lot and is a high contributor is coming here. So between guys highly ranked out of high school who have the tools, low major guy/ Juco transferring in which is a crap shoot as are they a Stull Morris or god willing a springs, or a high school kid rated outside top 150, I’m taking my chances with option A. It is a Minnesota type thing but it’s the truth unfortunately.

Completely agree on the names very interesting to say the least.

That's the whole point. How in the hell are we at this point?

So remove the head coach, and see who the new guy brings in. I'm thinking it would be better than these backups who are getting little minutes.

We are currently looking to basically make a recruiting class with backups from other schools who will only come here due to getting little minutes elsewhere. If that doesn't say it all, I have no idea what does.

Last edited:

In regards to Skogman, I have heard that he(and his family) really wants be a badger, and the badgers have strong interest, but they currently don't have a scholarship for him and have other needs they would rather address, however both parties are working on a way to get him on the team, don't be surprised to see him take a Hedstrom type deal to play there, but if it doesn't work out, Minnesota would definitely be the front runner with how it stands right now, he wants to stay in the region. I will also say that no one really know if he will be cleared medically at the next level but schools are more hopeful that he will be.

So Tre Jones has had it at Duke. We're crowded at guard, but I think there might be room for him.

I just wonder what Darrell would do with all that Indiana gear he bought and wore at Williams Arena.

There is no way Thompson would be eligible, immediate eligibility on a within conference transfer is just not going to happen, Sims there would be a chance.

So remove the head coach, and see who the new guy brings in. I'm thinking it would be better than these backups who are getting little minutes.

We are currently looking to basically make a recruiting class with backups from other schools who will only come here due to getting little minutes elsewhere. If that doesn't say it all, I have no idea what does.

Just because IW struggles and hasn't been playing a ton does it mean he couldn't pull through his struggles elsewhere? Sims would be an incredible get, if he was able to play right away

Mckinley Wright? would be a instant pg starter here, he can't be too happy at Colorado not making it to the tournament two years in a row.

Just because IW struggles and hasn't been playing a ton does it mean he couldn't pull through his struggles elsewhere? Sims would be an incredible get, if he was able to play right away

He could probably go somewhere and do better, but raising that team to new heights.........I'd say little to no chance.

We are trying to take a step up here, right?

Mckinley Wright? would be a instant pg starter here, he can't be too happy at Colorado not making it to the tournament two years in a row.

No chance, Colorado has won 5 games in a row and McKinley is playing great.

Is the “we” in this scenario the message board?

First off- the recruits you are talking about are what internet posters are talking about, that is NOT who Pitino is going after right now. They are working a bunch of HS seniors right now and I am sure they are looking at a bunch of Juco players for specific needs as well.
We are not in a bad situation. There is two ways this works out:

1. We win games down the stretch and get in the tournament. If that happens and Pitino stays there will be a lot of guys that want to come and play a year (senior transfers) or two (Jucos) to line up with Oturu, Coffey, Curry, Gabe and Carr. That's a pretty solid core yet there is plenty of chances for a PF a center, a point guard or a wings to get quality minutes. Depending on how Curry recovers, there could be a starting PF position up for grabs. Maybe IW matures or Omersa has a great summer and becomes a reliable rotation player.

2. If we don't win, we are still going to have that core. For those that think Pitino is a lousy coach, then that core should be fantastic to work with for a good coach and perhaps the next coach will make IW into something that Pitino hasn't yet, according to coaching gurus on this site.

First off- the recruits you are talking about are what internet posters are talking about, that is NOT who Pitino is going after right now. They are working a bunch of HS seniors right now and I am sure they are looking at a bunch of Juco players for specific needs as well.
We are not in a bad situation. There is two ways this works out:

1. We win games down the stretch and get in the tournament. If that happens and Pitino stays there will be a lot of guys that want to come and play a year (senior transfers) or two (Jucos) to line up with Oturu, Coffey, Curry, Gabe and Carr. That's a pretty solid core yet there is plenty of chances for a PF a center, a point guard or a wings to get quality minutes. Depending on how Curry recovers, there could be a starting PF position up for grabs. Maybe IW matures or Omersa has a great summer and becomes a reliable rotation player.

2. If we don't win, we are still going to have that core. For those that think Pitino is a lousy coach, then that core should be fantastic to work with for a good coach and perhaps the next coach will make IW into something that Pitino hasn't yet, according to coaching gurus on this site.

Stop apologizing for this terrible recruiting. I am betting you were in full meltdown mode over Tubby's recruiting yet it's ok where we are at now?. I am not ok with this.

Stop apologizing for this terrible recruiting. I am betting you were in full meltdown mode over Tubby's recruiting yet it's ok where we are at now?. I am not ok with this.

Last class was VERY good. This class has only one but he is top 150 and looking like a steal. We had a top 100 PF verbal (Jackson) and then he backed out for Missouri. The recruiting class is not over yet. Yes- I didn't like Tubby's last few classes. If this class ends with just one guy and a couple of weak spring pickups, I won't like it.

Last class was VERY good. This class has only one but he is top 150 and looking like a steal. We had a top 100 PF verbal (Jackson) and then he backed out for Missouri. The recruiting class is not over yet. Yes- I didn't like Tubby's last few classes. If this class ends with just one guy and a couple of weak spring pickups, I won't like it.
Not sure why people forget that we have two young players with 3 years of eligibility in Carr and Willis who will be available next season.. Those guys, along with Tre Williams, should be seen as the incoming class next year.

Obviously we need at least one more big in order to feel comfortable with the roster

He could probably go somewhere and do better, but raising that team to new heights.........I'd say little to no chance.

We are trying to take a step up here, right?

Where did I say it would take the teams to new heights? Next year we will be pretty solid and adding a quality 4 like Sims would be huge considering we need a 4 next year and don't have that person on our roster

I think Sims would solve our problems but Race wouldn't. We desperately need another 5 man to backup Oturu and Sims at 6-9, 240 could be that guy.

Race I think would possibly be an upgrade over Hurt as the backup 3 but I don't think he'd really help our lack of depth in the post.

Recruiting isn't even close to being over. There's no point in freaking out yet IMO because we don't know what will happen in the next few months. Sure it doesn't look good right now but that can change in a hurry.

Not sure why people forget that we have two young players with 3 years of eligibility in Carr and Willis who will be available next season.. Those guys, along with Tre Williams, should be seen as the incoming class next year.

Obviously we need at least one more big in order to feel comfortable with the roster

Yep and furthermore people act like Williams has no shot at contributing. He has turned into a steal being the best player on a top ten nationally ranked HS team. The biggest thing for next year would be for Curry to have a healthy year where he is back to where he was prior to all the injuries. Then add a couple of pieces and we are looking good.

Top Bottom